Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii

8.6

1. Nov 25, 2010
    Don't listen to johnnynumber, like you can see he's the only one who gave a 0 to the game because he just probably sucks hard on it. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a huge achievement and a 2D masterpiece from Retro Studios. Nintendo must be proud of seeing this little company doing wonders like Rare did once upon a time. Brilliant gameplay and level design, fluid animation, very goodDon't listen to johnnynumber, like you can see he's the only one who gave a 0 to the game because he just probably sucks hard on it. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a huge achievement and a 2D masterpiece from Retro Studios. Nintendo must be proud of seeing this little company doing wonders like Rare did once upon a time. Brilliant gameplay and level design, fluid animation, very good remixes and some jewels in the new soundtrack, big replay value and tons of collectibles! What to ask more from a DKC game! And it's hard as hell! But unlike johnnynumber, I have skills and didn't use the Super Guide on every level ;) Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2010
    An example of returning to 2D and doling it RIGHT unlike some other titles! *cough*sonic 4*cough*
    even with the Wii remote shaking the controls are tight and very responsive. the levels are beautifully designed and Cranky's shops are very funny.

great old-school style platforming!
  3. Nov 25, 2010
    The levels are great and for a single player I agree with the reviews out there however I think more detail is needed for the 2 player experience.

I found that the life system is off balance between 1 and 2 players. For example, in single player mode If you have Diddy and you have all for hit points and jump into a pit you loose 1 life however in two player mode if you both fall in the

I found that the life system is off balance between 1 and 2 players.

For example, in single player mode If you have Diddy and you have all for hit points and jump into a pit you loose 1 life however in two player mode if you both fall in the pit and have the same number of hit point between you as single player then you loose 2 lives.

I would normally have no problem with the 2 lives each being lost however there are 2 main reasons why I have an issue.
    1) For each life you have a max of 2 hit points instead of 4.
    2) If you both die they respawn both of you for 2 lives instead of 1 person for 1 life.

My problem with the second is that there is usually a DK barrel next to the respawn point anyway so you could save a live each time. Also there is no need to force the second player to join when you can buy a DK barrel if you choose to.

There is an issue with buying a barrel too. If the second player is unable to get the barrel before it gets past the bottom of the screen that just cost you another life. That means that buying a barrel on forced side scrolling levels like the whale level is a waste of life with each time you call a barrel.

Now I expected to use a lot of lives in this game however I had my Sister over yesterday and we went through all my stock piled lives more then twice as fast then if I had of used them on my own.

You will go through lives fast in this game and if you have a stock pile in your own profile then you may want to reconsider having a friend join you. We went through over 100 lives in about 2 hours.

Play alone.
  4. Nov 22, 2010
    come on metacritic dats not the correct score do ur calculation again it suppose 2 get a 9.0 average :'(. anyways DKCR is a marvelous accomplishment. retro studios done a great job of revampin the series and man does it rock. anybody who wants a challenge n fun n where both hits the sweet spot this game nails them both this game is the reason Y nintendo is still the 1# video game developer.
  5. Nov 29, 2010
    i love this game it is great! worth every penny! great looks great gameplay, hard but far from impossible! if your a dkc fan this game holds up to your expectations and exeeds them! johnynumber5 is just a hater, i bet you he did not even play the game, because he said all oppositie from what everyone says (including me)
    all in all its a great game!
  6. Nov 29, 2010
    Another very good Wii game I've bought recently. I agree with some that sngle player is better than 2 player, but 2 player is still a lot of fun and gets a laugh out of me and my buddies. What I like most besides the cherry gaming itself is that the game has a very retro feel while retaining the good qualities that make today's games what they are. This is a really good mix of modern styleAnother very good Wii game I've bought recently. I agree with some that sngle player is better than 2 player, but 2 player is still a lot of fun and gets a laugh out of me and my buddies. What I like most besides the cherry gaming itself is that the game has a very retro feel while retaining the good qualities that make today's games what they are. This is a really good mix of modern style gaming and old, fun, throwback gaming. If you have kids you can give them a taste of what you played yesterday. Expand
  7. Dec 2, 2010
    I was hesitant to learn of this game and play it, but I'm glad I did play the game. This game truly captures the platform concept done well and above all has everything you will love. As a Christmas gift or just a game to spend your money on you can't go wrong picking up this title. Having playing this game makes me reminisce my childhood of playing the three country games for the SuperI was hesitant to learn of this game and play it, but I'm glad I did play the game. This game truly captures the platform concept done well and above all has everything you will love. As a Christmas gift or just a game to spend your money on you can't go wrong picking up this title. Having playing this game makes me reminisce my childhood of playing the three country games for the Super Nintendo, and what a good feeling it was of the fond memories remembering. This game is challenging for sure, but what seeks hold of you is the impressive levels and lots of content to unlock. Glad to see Retro Studios and Nintendo knowing what exactly the Country needs. Praise aside, the only downfall I see and what made me bit disappointed was the absence of the Kremling enemies. In conclusion, I'd definitely would say this is a solid platformer and a worthy purchase title. Collapse
  8. Dec 4, 2010
    A great example of how all side - scrolling platformers should be. Awesome level design with beautifully detailed environments and an amazing soundtrack. Maybe Retro Studios is the new Rare.
  9. Dec 4, 2010
    This is a superbly fun game buy it right away fun buy it right away! It had me blown away buy it's super personality and incredibly fun and amazing level design
  10. Dec 6, 2010
    This is game is addictive, lots of fun, and really hard at times. The graphics are great. Two player is sometimes more difficult than single player. When this is the case, I sign out and let my son beat the level -to save lives- or I have Diddy Kong hop on Kong's back. The difficulty reminds me of donkey kong on my Colecovision as a kid. We're on world 7. Level design is incredible.
  11. Feb 17, 2016
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of those classic 2D platformer so dear to Nintendo with an emblematic character of the brand, then of course you'll expect a very good platformer, now lets talk about why the game isn't a disappointment at all.

First technically the game looks good for the Wii, it's not gorgeous but will definitely not hurt your eyes. Solid framerate and 0 bug during all the playthrough, precise hit-box for all the characters, responsive controls, etc. The game is perfect on this ground.

Now about the gameplay it's basically genuine for the 2D platformer genre, with very few new ideas, but the formula didn't need to change so I'll not consider this as a con for the game, there is a good curve of difficulty in the game between the super easy first world to the hardcore last world where the game is almost a Die & Retry, specially the levels on rails or rocket. Concerning the wiimote controls there is a slight problem here, all the skills are based on the same movement and a particular tilt of the joystick in the nunchuck and therefore many times I died rolling over a platform when I only wanted to breeze the flower at the edge, this could have been change during testing. But globally the game is very fun with some challenge that will frustrate you just enough to give you a good feeling of accomplishment.

Like all good platformers the game is full of collectible and bonus stages and if you look for everything the game should last about 20 hours, which is very good, unfortunately I will have the same criticism that I have for almost all Nintendo games, where is the story ? The little there is could have been written by a 6 year old, in my opinion they should really change that and give more importance to the characters and purpose, even more when the universe of the game is very rich like in Donkey Kong.

All in all Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great 2D platformer with a handful of content, challenging levels, good bosses, fun gameplay (with one minor default on the mapping of the controls) that I'll definitively advice to old-school players looking for a retro platformer, but not to story oriented players.
  12. Dec 11, 2010
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is a challenging 2D platformer by Retro Studios. Unlike their Metroid Prime series this DKC title doesn't go in a completely different direction. The gameplay is very truthful to the original with some minor tweaks and the overall design also feels very similar.

My biggest complaint with this game is that the music team didn't take any risks. What's so great about the original Rare games is that each game had a completely original soundtrack. Retro went the easy route and almost all the music is recycled. The music is great but only because it was already great fifteen years ago. I wish they could have hired David Wise again to compose an original soundtrack that would surprise us just like DKC2 did.

I have other minor complaints, like how the game has less content than the other games. The secret world is not that special, there are less KONGS and less animal buddies. Still, the platforming is some of the best you'll find on Wii and the game is challenging, but not brutal. This is not the best game in the Donkey Kong Country series but it is a great addition to the series.
  13. Jan 2, 2011
    I loved the original Donkey Kong Country series on SNES and I felt very pleased this weekend by playing the new DK game no my Wii. The look and feel are the same, the playability is gorgeous and the real 3D of the Wii engine offers a polished graphic environment. The challenges are well balanced and the game is great.
  14. Jan 6, 2011
    As a gamer from way back when, I was nervous when revisiting a childhood friend in DK. COUNTRY RETURNS recaptures the essence of DK on SNES, but.......... it doesn't take any steps past the original 3. Yes, developers usually muck up redo's of retro games whether they are keeping it the same or changing things up. And yes, COUNTRY RETURNS reaches out to the younger generation who mayAs a gamer from way back when, I was nervous when revisiting a childhood friend in DK. COUNTRY RETURNS recaptures the essence of DK on SNES, but.......... it doesn't take any steps past the original 3. Yes, developers usually muck up redo's of retro games whether they are keeping it the same or changing things up. And yes, COUNTRY RETURNS reaches out to the younger generation who may have missed the SNES versions, and would suck them into retro 2D tastiness. But having had seen what RARE had to offer, I (and possibly a few oldER gamers) felt like COUNTRY RETURNS was missing a few parts (and the Klemlin). I will admit I shed a nostalgic tear roll-jumping, and hearing the original DKs music being reused/misused (water level music while on land? DOES NOT COMPUTE)

BUT BUT BUT.... all of that aside, COUNTRY RETURNS is a killer game. Fans and Retro-virgins will dig this offering. Not perfect, but pretty damn fun.
  15. Jan 8, 2011
    I loved the original Donkey Kong Country series of games. Donkey Kong Country is the first video game I ever played, and this was in 2003. Don't **** You know it's awesome. Donkey Kong Country Returns is everything I loved about the original trilogy, fixing up its errors and pushing it much further. It has the original Jungle levels, mine carts, barrels, Rambi, hidden bonus levels and theI loved the original Donkey Kong Country series of games. Donkey Kong Country is the first video game I ever played, and this was in 2003. Don't **** You know it's awesome. Donkey Kong Country Returns is everything I loved about the original trilogy, fixing up its errors and pushing it much further. It has the original Jungle levels, mine carts, barrels, Rambi, hidden bonus levels and the classic music which has luckily not been messed around with and there's more than that. However, it pushes the game even further like one level where you have to take cover behind rocks and shipwrecks to avoid a big tidal wave crashing through, there's two (ore more) levels which take place in jazzy silhouette mode, which is utterly gorgeous, there's a few levels where you have to complete the level in a jet powered barrel and you can blast into the background in this game, adding to the variety in this game. The game is as hard as hell but very rewarding. The graphics are some of the best in gaming history. Just amazing. Of course, nobody's perfect. The enemies In DKCR are not as cool as the kremlings but are still cool. There are no water levels in this game, which I dearly miss. Normally water levels are absolutely hairy bollocks and I hate them, but DCKR is one of those sole game where they're actually good. Lastly, the controls are still a waggle-fest. To roll, you waggle. To blow out fire, you waggle. To ground pound, you waggle, which you will be doing a lot of. Also, there are lag in the controls and Donkey Kong sometimes doesn't jump when you want him to, or sometime he won't jump at all. Apart from those niggles, you will love this game. If you're heavily nostalgic or just want a platforming game, this won't let you down. Oh, and here's a 9. Expand
  16. Jan 9, 2011
    Other companies can keep making fancy 3D shoot-em-ups all they want. I will stick to the great 2D versions of Nintendo's best. And Donkey Kong Country Returns uses the best technology has to offer and keeps is 2D-real! The levels are fast, funny and goofy. Just pure Donkey Kong fun! Could it have been made to accommodate a 360-degree world, sure, but why? The characters moveOther companies can keep making fancy 3D shoot-em-ups all they want. I will stick to the great 2D versions of Nintendo's best. And Donkey Kong Country Returns uses the best technology has to offer and keeps is 2D-real! The levels are fast, funny and goofy. Just pure Donkey Kong fun! Could it have been made to accommodate a 360-degree world, sure, but why? The characters move fluidly, the levels are accomplish able without being too simple and it's not so frustrating that you just want to turn it off and stop playing. If you have any childhood memory of lifelong of Donkey's world, this game is not to be missed! Expand
  17. Jan 19, 2011
    It is a very fun game. It is a very difficult game. I don't think there is any way I am going to complete this game 100%. There are a few levels in which I think I lost like 40 or 50 lives trying to beat a level. It requires some patience but the reward is satisfying. Not as good as the first installments on Super, but it comes very close. A very similar game to New Super Mario Bros.It is a very fun game. It is a very difficult game. I don't think there is any way I am going to complete this game 100%. There are a few levels in which I think I lost like 40 or 50 lives trying to beat a level. It requires some patience but the reward is satisfying. Not as good as the first installments on Super, but it comes very close. A very similar game to New Super Mario Bros. for Wii. Solid. Expand
  18. Jan 25, 2011
    A great plat former with a surprising amount of difficulty. I still prefer the original games, but this is a fun time. The levels are unique! Music, while not very memorable, was complementary to the ride. Not much replay value once you beat it.
  19. Feb 27, 2011
    Platforming at it's finest. My boyfriend and I picked this up to play as a couple (I'm Diddy) and it's a fantastic game. Gorgeous graphics, great enemies, funky music and there are so many hidden items to go back through and find. My only complaint is the levels that collapse around you are generally really hard to play with 2 people but I still love them because it keeps you on your toes.Platforming at it's finest. My boyfriend and I picked this up to play as a couple (I'm Diddy) and it's a fantastic game. Gorgeous graphics, great enemies, funky music and there are so many hidden items to go back through and find. My only complaint is the levels that collapse around you are generally really hard to play with 2 people but I still love them because it keeps you on your toes. Highly recommend it for the multiplayer. Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2012
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of the greatest platforming games that i have ever played. All the levels are unique, colorful and challenging. 2 player co-op is great fun (but single player is the best way to play this) and the controls usually work well. Even after you complete the 8 worlds there is still a tun lot replay value (collecting all the puzzle pieces, time trials etc).Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of the greatest platforming games that i have ever played. All the levels are unique, colorful and challenging. 2 player co-op is great fun (but single player is the best way to play this) and the controls usually work well. Even after you complete the 8 worlds there is still a tun lot replay value (collecting all the puzzle pieces, time trials etc). Donkey Kong Country Returns is a must have game in my opinion and shows off the capabilities and fun that can be had with the Wii. Expand
  21. Jul 22, 2013
    fantastic levels intresting gameplay, nice soundtrack... very hard and also have a co op opition it is a must buy and it is much better than new super mario bros wii. retro studios is the best
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is gorgeous, by Wii standards among the best-looking on the platform. The soundtrack is magnificent. The level design is tremendous. The variety is outstanding. The game is enormous fun. So Why won't I give it a 10? The difficulty. The absurdly punishing difficulty. This game is very, very HARD. You will die over and over again. Only determined players will finish the entireThis game is gorgeous, by Wii standards among the best-looking on the platform. The soundtrack is magnificent. The level design is tremendous. The variety is outstanding. The game is enormous fun. So Why won't I give it a 10? The difficulty. The absurdly punishing difficulty. This game is very, very HARD. You will die over and over again. Only determined players will finish the entire game, and completionists will also be sadomasochists as this game will KILL YOU. Yes, the Super Guide is present to help get you through extremely tough levels, but where's the fun in that? Expand
  23. Apr 12, 2015
    This is a great game! The DK country series is back! The graphics are great for Wii. The controls are good. The level designs are awesome. This game also has a Mario Kart track based on it called DK Jungle. DKC Returns is a great game and you should definitely buy it.
  24. Nov 21, 2010
    Put all your fears to rest, Retro Studios has outdone Rare and created the best 2D platformer of this generation (on ANY platform).. Tight controls, beautiful graphics and sound, replay value to spare, and over 71 levels. Just wow. If you liked the previous DKC games you'll love this, and even if you didn't you might still love this game. It's even better than the original trilogy. Perfect game.
  25. Nov 21, 2010
    Retro Studios did a great job, they knew what fan wanted. The game is simply fantastic. Taking back 2d style is just beautiful, easy to control, the music make you feel the pleasure of the other DKC game. A new coop mode to play with your friend, lot of level to complete many thing to collect many hour of fun to spend. Perfect.
  26. Nov 23, 2010
    I just started playing this last night! I absolutely love this game. Retro Studios has done an amazing job at what feels like a continuation of the SNES classics! I feel like a kid when I play this game! If you loved the original trilogy on the SNES, just get this game pronto!
  27. Eyo
    Dec 2, 2010
    deathsmiles
    You are a moron. Please go back and pwn some n00bs in your generic, cookiecutter, bloodspattering, headshot awarding FPS with the rest of your teenage buddies
  28. Nov 22, 2010
    Retro Studios has delivered an awesome title with DKCR. The level of polish is outstanding. This game is fun and challenging. It is worth buying a Wii for. I simply love it and I can't find any flaws. Fans of this series: It's On Like Donkey Kong AGAIN!!
  29. Nov 22, 2010
    It's just like the old DKC games but even better! Retro did a great job with the level design and the music remake. Although shaking the remote to roll gets a little annoying at times but overall the game is amazing

Level design 10/10
  30. Dec 2, 2010

#4 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#7 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Mar 17, 2011
    It looks and sounds wonderful, it feels great when you play it, it's tons of fun and full of surprises.
  2. Feb 25, 2011
    Fans of classic 2D games, or the original DKC games, owe it to themselves to pick up this amazing return to the franchise. The difficulty is the one area that may throw some gamers for a loop, but with the ability to let the game play itself it becomes a non-issue.
  3. Feb 16, 2011
    In the end Donkey Kong Country Returns is, in my opinion, a long awaited return to a franchise that needed updating. Fear not, DK fans, this title is for you.