8.8

1. joebobBlog
    Jun 29, 2009
    A big disappointment. I bought this game expecting a a more cardio oriented version of the Wii Fit. It is not.

Active appears rushed out the door. It lacks the fun and refinement of the Wii Fit. It is as though the developers did not have documentation from Nintendo. Most painful is the one second lag between your actions and result on screen. This makes the few timing oriented games (Tennis, Inline skating) frustrating rather than fun. Active also lacks Mii support, so you create your own and it is lame. The background graphics appear recycled from a Sega Genesis. The balance board integration is almost non-existent. The exercises are also high impact (jumping, snapping punches, etc.). Add in no stretching, and almost no warm-up/warm down and it is easy to hurt yourself if you are over 30.
    On the positive side, it will get you sweating. If you are a woman interested in toning your thighs the exercises are great. If you are a man interested in cardio, abs and strength there is not much here for you.
    For me, the Wii Fit is more of a stress management tool. It is a break through man to machine interface and it is fun, fun, fun.
    Active lacks the fun and is often frustrating. If you want a TV based cardio exercise experience, save your money and follow along with a DVD.
  2. JoeCigan
    Jun 26, 2009
    After taking the 30 day work-out and doing a few of the pre-set work-outs, I must confess that I'm disappointed with the quality of this product. The band broke twice. This game is certainly not worth the money if you need to replace the band every few weeks. The detection was poor in that I'd often had to shake the Wii-mote to get a rep to register. There are severalAfter taking the 30 day work-out and doing a few of the pre-set work-outs, I must confess that I'm disappointed with the quality of this product. The band broke twice. This game is certainly not worth the money if you need to replace the band every few weeks. The detection was poor in that I'd often had to shake the Wii-mote to get a rep to register. There are several instances where the instructional video demonstration does not match the moves of the avatar. I was disappointed that there is no sustained cardio. I am concerned that you seem to work the same muscle groups two consecutive days on the planned working. The workouts are unbalanced in that there is no stretching. The exercises that incorporate the balance board are lame and require little effort. There is no way to keep track of your weight as in Wii Fit. I find the timing of the reps to vary. Wii fit certainly has its shortcomings. I did Wii fit every day for over a year. I lost 50 pounds. My blood pressure is now fantastic. As a forty year old couch potato with young children, Wii Fit was an excellent way to get fit. The Wii fit workouts invigorate me. The EA active work outs make my joints hurt. It really seems to me that EA active will appeal to fad dieters and fad exercise nuts. If you plan to be in it for the long haul, I would recommend Wii fit over EA Active. However, to get the most out of Wii Fit you need experience in being able to develop sensible work outs. Wii Fit does not spoon feed in the same way EA Active does. I'll probably use EA Active a few times a week to break up my workouts since I already shelled the coin. Also, my wife tried EA Active only a few times and went back to Wii Fit exclusively. Expand

1. You can really feel the burn with this collection of exercises and sports-themed challenges.
  2. EA Sports Active has not jumped on any bandwagons; instead, it has set a new bar for what exercise games should be. After one week, I can already see and feel results, and I have every intention of finishing out my 30-day challenge, as well as sticking with it beyond the initial 30-day period.
    Had the game's controls been better reconciled with Wii's limited capabilities I might have been able to give EA Sports Active a solid recommendation, both for its high ambitions and the impressive number of customizable features. But due to shaky controls, I'm going to give it a shaky thumbs-up instead.