Endless Ocean Wii

8.1

1. Cardoso
    May 7, 2008
    Absolutely amazing. The best relaxing gaming of all times.
  2. BobbyMeeks
    Jul 24, 2008
    I must be old... I love this title. With all the rage and hectic schedules in my life - from ex-wives and stupid people I work with to managing the ball games and homework of five children - it is such a welcome release to just scuba dive in my living room. I have had several of my children pile on top of me as we explore the depths. The music is pretty but kookie - but the slow-pacedI must be old... I love this title. With all the rage and hectic schedules in my life - from ex-wives and stupid people I work with to managing the ball games and homework of five children - it is such a welcome release to just scuba dive in my living room. I have had several of my children pile on top of me as we explore the depths. The music is pretty but kookie - but the slow-paced exploration is fantastic. I love this game! Expand
  3. MarkP.
    Apr 19, 2008
    Good looking but extremely boring. I tried it twice and will not try again... I have more interesting thoughts, so why play something that makes me itch with boredom.
  4. NathanL
    Jan 12, 2009
    Wow. I was blown away by how bad this was. I tried to like it. I love the WiiWare game My Aquarium, which also isn't a game, but Endless Ocean is not pretty or fun in any way. Just because it doesn't have a set plot doesn't mean it shouldn't have some form of entertainment. One of the worst games I have ever played!
  5. Cheesus
    Jan 25, 2008
    Love this game dont listen to the low scores after all if your reading this then you most probley are looking for somthing on a calmer pace. recommended after a hardcore gaming session when gibs aint doing it for you.
  6. ByronW.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Full of atmosphere, this game will draw you into it's gentle, relaxed world and captivate you for hours. It's got the addictive "gotta catch 'em all" quality that Pokemon has, and is full of wonderful surprises that draw you to explore further. Graphically, it's really quite beautiful, although the character animations when on board the boat are a little stiff and Full of atmosphere, this game will draw you into it's gentle, relaxed world and captivate you for hours. It's got the addictive "gotta catch 'em all" quality that Pokemon has, and is full of wonderful surprises that draw you to explore further. Graphically, it's really quite beautiful, although the character animations when on board the boat are a little stiff and stilted. The controls, using pointing function of the remote work smoothly, and help contribute to the relaxing vibe of the game. Especially given the low price of this game, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this game. Expand
  7. Brian
    Jan 23, 2008
    Although Endless Ocean offers little in the way of objectives to direct the player, the serene beauty and experience of exploration make this budget title more than worthwhile. It would be nice if the game provided a little more goal-oriented gameplay, but the collection and exploration facets will have to suffice. Still, Endless Ocean is a great way to relax, even after you've Although Endless Ocean offers little in the way of objectives to direct the player, the serene beauty and experience of exploration make this budget title more than worthwhile. It would be nice if the game provided a little more goal-oriented gameplay, but the collection and exploration facets will have to suffice. Still, Endless Ocean is a great way to relax, even after you've discovered everything there is in the sea. In addition to being able to explore, you're able to take pictures, swim with trained sea mammals, and listen to custom mp3 tracks if you load them on an SD card. My only significant critiques of the game are fairly minor. Nintendo forces the use of friend codes, which makes partnering up for a dive difficult - especially considering the fact that you can't use multiple controllers to play with other people in the same room. Additionally, although the game offers photo opportunities, they're limited to in-game only. You can't view them in the photo channel. Expand
  8. RajendraG.
    Jan 27, 2008
    This is one of the most relaxing and unhurried "games" ever. Yet I find it far from boring. If you like nature documentaries at all, this one should be on your must try list. As simple as the setup is, there is an addictive and gripping quality to the experience. Before you know it an hour or two are gone, and you are wondering why you never noticed. Above water visuals are sub par, but This is one of the most relaxing and unhurried "games" ever. Yet I find it far from boring. If you like nature documentaries at all, this one should be on your must try list. As simple as the setup is, there is an addictive and gripping quality to the experience. Before you know it an hour or two are gone, and you are wondering why you never noticed. Above water visuals are sub par, but once you dive, it's pure magic. I only wish they had made it a bit less simplistic in terms of how far you can go. An air meter is already there so they could have easily eliminated the circular bubble and put the burden on you to get back to the boat (or the surface) before you ran out. That would have made this a touch more realistic. But this is a small gripe compared to the overall presentation. Expand
  9. LisaP.
    Jan 28, 2008
    Loved the visuals on this game. As soon as I used the Wiimote to guide my diver..I was blown away. Slight movements left or right easily guided me through the deep blue. Great place to learn or just dive. There is gameplay ..meaning missions to complete. Get those done and open up new things to change your character's wardrobe or equipment. Essentially you have an encyclopedia to Loved the visuals on this game. As soon as I used the Wiimote to guide my diver..I was blown away. Slight movements left or right easily guided me through the deep blue. Great place to learn or just dive. There is gameplay ..meaning missions to complete. Get those done and open up new things to change your character's wardrobe or equipment. Essentially you have an encyclopedia to fill up with animal finds. Some will be on land, many will be underwater. Different species can be found during the day/night/season as well. The more of the quests you complete the more skilled a diver you become. SD card allows for you to load your own music and dive to it. However it will only play one song during your dive. Get back up to the boat to change your music for each dive. Visually stunning deepwater environments and nothing blows you away when a large whale comes out of the dark and passes you by. Neat interaction with each species will allow for unlockable info about that species. This is a slow paced game, it is meant to be that way. So for the couch diver in all of us, this was well worth buying on pre-order. It will not leave my Wii library. The rating is high but I would give it less in terms of it being only a single player game. Perhaps out of the quest mode the game could have allowed for others to join and do a fun dive. The only way you can get another player to dive with you, aside from the ingame AI divers, another friend of yours must own a copy of the game. So meeting up via Wi-fi is possible. I felt relaxed maneuvering through the depths exploring, a different and welcomed changed from mission gaming. This is why I invested in the Wii..a different gaming experience and I got it. Expand
  10. MarkL.
    Jan 31, 2008
    Initially Endless Ocean looked to be an enjoyable, relaxing game, but after a few hours of play it develops into one of the most incredible games I've played, on any console. Visually I've never seen anything quite like it, despite the Wiis limitations the ocean has been crafted to look more stunning than anything I've seen on PS3 or 360, I can only imagine what a version Initially Endless Ocean looked to be an enjoyable, relaxing game, but after a few hours of play it develops into one of the most incredible games I've played, on any console. Visually I've never seen anything quite like it, despite the Wiis limitations the ocean has been crafted to look more stunning than anything I've seen on PS3 or 360, I can only imagine what a version of the game on those consoles would look like. The music is also excellent and adds to the awe of the visuals. The game itself is as open as any you'll play, after several hours I've barely begun to uncover all of there is to do. I could go on listing a nearly endless list of praises I have for this game, I find it unfair that it's metascore has dropped from reviewers who have little more criticism than to say it's 'not fun'. I'm not interested in diving or marine life, but if I had to keep just one of my Wii games, it'd be this. Collapse
  11. wiiman
    Jan 30, 2008
    This game does exactly what it advertised. And the graphics when diving are fantastic, definitely beyond xbox/ps2 graphics these are only able to be shown on the Wii. Tons of stuff to do, and just plain fun. Gives you a little of the feeling that Animal Crossing gives, in that you can never be hurt and you don't fight anything.
  12. SamuelM.
    Feb 10, 2008
    Great Game when you need a break from COD4. Graphics are really, really nice to boot!
    Feb 16, 2008
    Love it! Nothing like it out there!
  14. DJT.
    Feb 20, 2008
    No... you can't blow away innocent fish, steal drug dealers' boats, or get eaten by sharks! But guess what? If you have half a brain and own or played those types of games already, this is a FANTASTIC escape to a relaxing and ADDICTIVE adventure. The story can get hokey, but the replay is GREAT and it really appeals to those of us that love to explore a large map and try to find No... you can't blow away innocent fish, steal drug dealers' boats, or get eaten by sharks! But guess what? If you have half a brain and own or played those types of games already, this is a FANTASTIC escape to a relaxing and ADDICTIVE adventure. The story can get hokey, but the replay is GREAT and it really appeals to those of us that love to explore a large map and try to find everything. LOTS OF PLAY TIME! Expand
  15. TornS.
    Feb 3, 2008
    I recently got hooked on Pokémon for the DS and this is kinda like Pokémon for adults...IF they want to collect all the animals. Just SEEING them is enough for most (my wife hasn't played, but she's "oohed" and some of the majestic seascapes). I really, really like this title. Different, fresh, and open-ended. The music is outstanding (I'm in an industrial I recently got hooked on Pokémon for the DS and this is kinda like Pokémon for adults...IF they want to collect all the animals. Just SEEING them is enough for most (my wife hasn't played, but she's "oohed" and some of the majestic seascapes). I really, really like this title. Different, fresh, and open-ended. The music is outstanding (I'm in an industrial band, so this is quite a few notches below what I typically enjoy). The way I like to describe this title is a cross between going to an aquarium and going to an Imax theater...but you control the content. Two thumbs up. Expand
  16. SarahM.
    Feb 8, 2008
    This game is awesome! it's perfect for unwinding after a long day at work. it's wonderful default music is calming, or adding your own music via SD card is such a great feature! You can't go wrong with this game!
  17. HenriC.
    Feb 9, 2008
    At first it appeared very boring. But once I played it a few times, I saw it's addictive nature. As everyone has said, it's slow paced and relaxing, but the graphics are excellent. It's a nice change of pace from traditional games. Type A players probably won't enjoy. My kids (4, 7) enjoy it and even play it a bit.
  18. JonathanCarrier
    Aug 6, 2009
    The most relaxing game ever. When frustrated put this game in and share the warmth of it's zen-like quality and it's Enya-esque music...or if that's not to your liking put in your own music via your memory card and listen to some heavy death metal. There's no time limit, no challenges, heck just free scuba diving without having to actually go do it. I highly recommend this.
  19. MandaJ.
    Jan 21, 2008
    A beautiful amazing underwater experience. A must have for any Wii owner.
  20. JonahH.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Beautiful game. An hour went by smoothly and at the end of it, I was very relaxed and calm, the exact opposite of most games I've played. Endless Ocean is an awesome antidote for a stressful day, it's absolutely perfect to just chill and explore. Highly recommended.
  21. QubaM.
    Jan 25, 2008
    Surprisingly relaxing and addictive, but can get old fast.
  22. TerryT.
    Jan 26, 2008
    Great game, works well on the Wii, and at $30, a steal. If you've been wanting a game where you can just explore at your own will, this is it. Pretty environments and a pretty large area to explore - Endless Ocean can be quite addicting and relaxing to play. Quality title.
  23. JoshD.
    Jan 28, 2008
    I had been waiting on this since first announced. It is perfect for anyone that wants to kick back, relax and explore. One major drawback is the ability to play mp3's however I have converted many of mine to AAC so that they are able to be played in the Photo Channel Ver. 1.1.
  24. KatyaS.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Not a game for those who'd want loads of action and explosions; this is a game to put in your Wii when you've had enough of high-octane gaming and just want something to relax to. For the people who would be enthralled by exploring the ocean, finding different species of marine wildlife, and occasionally taking NPCs on diving guides, this is a must-have game.
  25. PeterC.
    Feb 10, 2008
    First game I've given a 10. Succeeds spectacularly at everything it sets out to do. Looks wonderful. Has a great atmosphere. Can't recommend it enough. Simple, easy but has a lot of depth. First game I've really thought was great for gamers and non-gamers alike. I'm getting a bit sick of minigame packages so this is just wonderful. Looks beautiful, plays great, lots to First game I've given a 10. Succeeds spectacularly at everything it sets out to do. Looks wonderful. Has a great atmosphere. Can't recommend it enough. Simple, easy but has a lot of depth. First game I've really thought was great for gamers and non-gamers alike. I'm getting a bit sick of minigame packages so this is just wonderful. Looks beautiful, plays great, lots to look at and do, constant surprises and discoveries to be made, played for a good 8 hours now, and enjoyed every moment. From the small amount of the map I've discovered, it looks like there'll be plenty more to go! Expand
  26. DarrenZ.
    Jun 24, 2008
    An underrated classic. Fantastic graphics, relaxing pace, and a mesmerizing experience make this one a winner. It would be nice if there was a little more to do than just swim around and look at things, but the visual presentation and joy of discovery is enough to keep you coming back for more.
  27. CaptainB.
    Nov 21, 2007
    One of the most immersive and emotive games I've ever played. It's rapidly becoming my favourite game ever.
  28. IndiC.
    Nov 21, 2007
    It's a great game to relax with. The ultimate "bed-time story" before going to sleep!
  29. JustinD.
    Jan 23, 2008
    This game does what it set out to do - it delivers a great divers sim that's not only fun, but really relaxing and enjoyable. It's not a hardcore grinding game or an action game. It's a simple diving sim that, for 30 bucks, you can't beat it. I would have payed 40 for it. This game has a meditative value that I think I will really enjoy on those hectic days when I just This game does what it set out to do - it delivers a great divers sim that's not only fun, but really relaxing and enjoyable. It's not a hardcore grinding game or an action game. It's a simple diving sim that, for 30 bucks, you can't beat it. I would have payed 40 for it. This game has a meditative value that I think I will really enjoy on those hectic days when I just need to unwind. Expand
  30. davidkennedy
    Jan 25, 2008
    this has been out for ages in uk why it only just here, oh wait cause USA more important? than us?

anyway, great game for non gamers. i like it though, anim a gamer, strange isnt it, well the game hits a very slim audience, and to the average person its extremely boring, as i to find, it but i said i liked it, well i do, i found myself putting around 12 hours into it, but i was bored,

well the game hits a very slim audience, and to the average person its extremely boring, as i to find, it but i said i liked it, well i do, i found myself putting around 12 hours into it, but i was bored, strange gme, which sucks you in, fun, and relaxing, addictive, and long, but eventually you will tire, and find its voodoo, and will take you over, but the spell is weak and you shall soon find it, is not really worth the purchase.

yeah i rambled
  31. Andyman
    Jan 26, 2008
    One of the best chill-out games I've ever played. You just dive in and venture off to wherever you want. It's like your own private beautiful interactive aquarium. I've never used the words "tranquil" and "serene" to describe a game, but I feel like this game restored balance to my collection. The music alone is worth getting Endless Ocean for. Magnificent.
  32. DennisM.
    Jan 26, 2008
    I could not have wished for better. I have played this 5 hours straight on my first play, and it is incredibly deep and relaxing. While one wouldnt say it has action/explosions, it has amazing atmosphere... It feels amazing to play, and has plenty of goals to keep you progressing. Expect something with a slow pace, but with amazing atmosphere.
  33. AllenV.
    Feb 26, 2008
    Great bang for the buck. The sea visuals are outstanding for the most part and the game play is pretty addicting. Just one more dive! Great for non-gamers and SCUBA divers who need a quick fix.
  34. Nov 24, 2011
    Endless Ocean proves that a game doesn't need blistering action, rapid music, and endless objectives to be fun. This is the perfect embodiment of the gaming principle that relaxation gaming can be fun. You literally cannot fail in Endless Ocean; if you don't achieve an objective -- and they're all optional -- you can try again as many times as you like. Ignore objectives altogether andEndless Ocean proves that a game doesn't need blistering action, rapid music, and endless objectives to be fun. This is the perfect embodiment of the gaming principle that relaxation gaming can be fun. You literally cannot fail in Endless Ocean; if you don't achieve an objective -- and they're all optional -- you can try again as many times as you like. Ignore objectives altogether and just enjoy swimming and the beautiful scenery. There is so much to be gained by just enjoying the world and taking a relaxing swim. On an HDTV, it looks even better. If you're looking something to get your pulse pounding, forget this one; its job is exactly the opposite. You can swim during the day or at night, in a wide variety of locations, with a large selection of options. Cool, calm, beautiful, and, amazingly, educational. That's right, parents: your kids can actually learn a fair amount about ocean ecology and biology from this title. Make it a family event. But, better yet, put the kids to bed, shut off the lights, and go for a swim. Expand
  35. Jan 26, 2013
    Endless Ocean has something for both casual gamers who want to have a relaxing time and dedicated completionists.

The Good: Believable creature models and environments; you're free enough to play it at your own pace; great original music score. The Bad: Terrible human models; barely a real "game"; cheesy new age songs. Endless Ocean is an underwater diving simulator and as such it

The Bad: Terrible human models; barely a real "game"; cheesy new age songs.

Endless Ocean is an underwater diving simulator and as such it does a good job in accomplishing its first "directive": to deliver some relaxing undersea exploration experience without lots of "whys" and "hows" for the casual player. Those who like marine biology or just want to have a nice ease playtime will be easily lured into it by the nice representation of fishes, big mammals (including whales and seals), birds, crustacean and pretty much every other possible sea-related life form.
    Of course, the Wii is far from being a graphics powerhouse by any means but well-choosen textures provide a nice final result in this front--except for human models, which are just empty plastic shells. -.-
    More than that, the game even shines in the memorable occasions it offers you the opportunity to face--and interact with--huge beings like the Atlantic Northern Right Whale or the Giant Squid. (Achieving this degree of epicness by creating some truly breathtaking moments without cheap graphic tricks is something Arika should be proud of.)

The objectives in the game aren't really compulsory, so you'll get several "quests" to perform every now and then--people asking for guided divings, fish photos for magazines--but they can just be ignored and you'll be fine anyway. You can't die either, so it's totally on the easy side to fit the casual "Blue Ocean" (no pun intended) market Nintendo aimed so well in this generation of consoles.

On the other hand hardcore gamers tend not to dig Endless Ocean for the very same reasons, but if you're the completionist type there are plenty to unlock and uncover (and there's a good chance you'll feel compelled to do so): a fauna encyclopedia to fill in (and creatures change depending on where/when you dive), a map to unfold, historic relics to scavenge, secret places to find, a major local legend to clear up (and ultimately "beat" the game) and more.

It's easy to mistake Endless Ocean for another careless shovelware Wii release, but one couldn't be more wrong in this case since Arika took the hard route by really trying to offer something for everyone--and succeeding.
  36. Mar 22, 2012
    It suffers from the lack of a story, but this was an incredible idea for a game. I especially love how you can import your own music to listen to while playing.
  37. May 19, 2012
    A wonderful game. The exploration just kept me going to different areas, marveling at the graphic quality of all the sea creatures. Just incredible, and a wonderful game for relaxation.
  38. Sep 28, 2015
    I know this game isn't for everybody, but it's a guilty pleasure for me. It's weird that I like it so much since it's barely even a game. It's missing two key game components: a challenge and a way to lose. It's just a fun and relaxing experience that captures the wonder of scuba diving without the tension of "I'm gonna die down here!" I'd say I don't recommend it if you're a hardcoreI know this game isn't for everybody, but it's a guilty pleasure for me. It's weird that I like it so much since it's barely even a game. It's missing two key game components: a challenge and a way to lose. It's just a fun and relaxing experience that captures the wonder of scuba diving without the tension of "I'm gonna die down here!" I'd say I don't recommend it if you're a hardcore gamer, but then again I consider myself to be a hardcore gamer. It's strange how many hardcore gamers like this game. So I'll say this. What's your favorite part of Skyrim? If you'd say the exploration like I would, this game is for you. (copied from my Blue World review) Expand

#7 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#18 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. It comes across as more of a toy then a real game, and with a budget price of $29.99 it is well worth the purchase for anyone seeking a way to wind down that won’t numb the brain.
  2. Despite the uncomfortable number of missed opportunities and graphics that fall short of current-generation standards, tooling around underwater and leisurely unfolding the central events in Endless Ocean remained unexpectedly delightful and engaging until the end—and even a few hours after.
  3. Okay, so it doesn't win the award for most action-packed adventure on Wii, but it is a beautiful, innovative and very different kettle of fish. A breathtaking experience. [Christmas 2007, p.46]