7.1

1. Feb 17, 2015
    You spend most of this short game mindlessly attacking and sucking down potions. You only briefly have a party then the rest of the time you are solo or duoing. Then the credits roll which are longer than the game minus the boring fights. Total cash grab.
  2. Aug 13, 2012
    My experience with Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is a bit unique; I had never played any Final Fantasy games prior to owning a Wii, and only then did I play the original NES Final Fantasy, followed immediately by Final Fantasy II (IV) ported from the Super NES, both on the Wii Virtual Console service. I enjoyed both, particularly FFIV, so I jumped right in to FFIV:TAY. It is veryMy experience with Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is a bit unique; I had never played any Final Fantasy games prior to owning a Wii, and only then did I play the original NES Final Fantasy, followed immediately by Final Fantasy II (IV) ported from the Super NES, both on the Wii Virtual Console service. I enjoyed both, particularly FFIV, so I jumped right in to FFIV:TAY. It is very faithful to the source material and picks up right where the previous game left off (well, several years after, but it felt seamless). I enjoyed the story and the ability to play through various chapters with different characters and teams, with all storylines eventually coinciding and moving ahead with the final chapter. The game must be purchased in several installments, so it does get a bit expensive as you keep adding more chapters, but I found all to be worthwhile purchases. This is also a big time drain - I probably spent 50 hours total playing through the entire game over the course of several weeks! It can be a bit plodding at times and there's not a whole lot of new, fresh material, but for big fans of Final Fantasy it's a worthwhile endeavor. Recommended. Collapse
  3. Oct 30, 2011
    If you loved Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II on the Super NES and Wii Virtual Console), you will likely enjoy this direct sequel. To get the complete experience, you will need to invest a lot of time and Wii points; after downloading and completing the main game on the WiiWare shop, you'll be prompted to go back and buy the several follow-up chapters for about 300 points each. I foundIf you loved Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II on the Super NES and Wii Virtual Console), you will likely enjoy this direct sequel. To get the complete experience, you will need to invest a lot of time and Wii points; after downloading and completing the main game on the WiiWare shop, you'll be prompted to go back and buy the several follow-up chapters for about 300 points each. I found the game fun and challenging, but there is a lot of "grinding" involved, and it can get quite tedious. Attempting to reach 100 percent completion, as I did, will take a couple dozen hours (and I stretched it out over several months). A good story and engaging characters kept me interested, but really there's not a whole lot new to see here. I marvel at the fact this game was originally released on mobile phones in Japan; I have no idea how one would play through such a lengthy old-school RPG on a tiny screen with tiny buttons! (Long train rides, I guess?) Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2011
    This game is extremely old school. Extremely high "random encounter" rate, lots of grinding, cheesy Japanese dialogue/plot, etc etc.

So why did I beat it? Pure nostalgia for the most part. If you played and beat FF4, you'll want to play and beat this game. I started off hating the fact that they continued the plot of one of the most well wrapped-up endings of any Final Fantasy game, but despite that I have to admit they did a good job.

Is it worth the price? Probably not, but I paid it, and don't regret it. If you don't like the old school Final Fantasies (aka pre-FF7), you won't like this game, but if you do, I strongly recommend it.
  5. Oct 14, 2010
    If you love Final Fantasy IV on SNES you may enjoy Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. I really didn't enjoy it. Square Enix went too old school on this game.
  6. Aug 13, 2012

1. The After Years is an unusual experiment for the Final Fantasy franchise, but it’s one that’s already working its powerful magic on us. The story is smartly structured to tease you along, intermittently revealing important and interesting tidbits, before leaving you hanging.
  2. The game offers quite a bit of length and game play for your 800 Wii Points, but having to purchase additional packs in order to enjoy the side stories is obviously going to rub some gamers the wrong way, especially considering that there are eight additional packs to buy in order to wrap up the entire story line.
    The game sounds great, looks great, plays well, feels old-school, and has a deep and interesting plot with characters we already know and love.