Grand Slam Tennis Wii

7.5

1. Feb 7, 2012
    This game is broken. I don't understand why reviewers disagree with my opinion. The controls make the game impossible to play. You have to have the Wii Remote at precisely the right angle, as the game makes it difficult to switch to your forehand. When you swing the Wii Remote, the game is cruel and unforgiving. I wish I hadn't wasted my money on this game.
  2. CharlesK
    Jun 12, 2009
    VERY FRUSTRATING, I had been looking forward to this game ever since I read about it, and when I finally got to play it......FRUSTRATION - mind you I had been playing on EASY! If your looking to frustrate yourself this is a must buy, with the new Wii MotionPlus at times I wanted to throw the controller out the window - I played all the way through the entire series twice and practiced VERY FRUSTRATING, I had been looking forward to this game ever since I read about it, and when I finally got to play it......FRUSTRATION - mind you I had been playing on EASY! If your looking to frustrate yourself this is a must buy, with the new Wii MotionPlus at times I wanted to throw the controller out the window - I played all the way through the entire series twice and practiced before that so I gave it a chance. I must reiterate if you want a frustrating experience with a new controller that in my experience is not ready for prime time you must buy this game, otherwise stay away and save yourself some dough. Expand
  3. BobA
    Jul 22, 2009
    If you are only to read one of these reviews -- Read This One! Do not purchase this game as you will be wasting your money on a game that has some of the most frustrating controls of any Wii game. The game will force you to swing back swings when you are obviously pointing front, it doesn't know where the controller so positions the player to make a back swing even though you are If you are only to read one of these reviews -- Read This One! Do not purchase this game as you will be wasting your money on a game that has some of the most frustrating controls of any Wii game. The game will force you to swing back swings when you are obviously pointing front, it doesn't know where the controller so positions the player to make a back swing even though you are facing completely forward. Just don't buy this game, its not worth it, even with MotionPlus its just not good. Expand
  4. Sep 28, 2016
    Gimmicky beyond belief. I had high hopes for this game, especially given it is supposed to take advantage of the motion plus accessory. And what purpose does it serve (no pun intended)? If someone will tell me please what the difference is between the gameplay with and without the motion plus? The tech demo that Wii Sports was is still better by leaps and bounds than this abomination.Gimmicky beyond belief. I had high hopes for this game, especially given it is supposed to take advantage of the motion plus accessory. And what purpose does it serve (no pun intended)? If someone will tell me please what the difference is between the gameplay with and without the motion plus? The tech demo that Wii Sports was is still better by leaps and bounds than this abomination. Seriously, you are better off playing the good old Wii Sports tennis than the Grand Slam Tennis, whose controls are far from intuitive and for the most part, they simply don't work like they're supposed to. You would think that three years in the Wii life span (the GST came out in 2009) other developers than Nintendo itself would have learnt how to use motion controls. But no, they are as inept at harnessing the Wii mote as a monkey driving a car.

Three years after the premiere of Wii Sports you expect devs to have mastered the motion controls. To your dismay, the situation is not that simple. The original Nintendo product, which was only to blaze some trails and show devs the proper way, turns out to be so timeless that no EA, let alone Rockstar with their Table Tennis, won't beat it. In Wii Sports, the gameplay feels natural. Everything is it its place. With the GST the motion controls are exposed for the gimmick they really are. It's either a testament to the lack of communication between Nintendo and third party devs or EA simply churned out another half-assed product that is barely playable.

I expected it to be everything that the Wii Sports tennis was plus more, given the three-year learning curve to learn the ins and outs of the motion controls implemented by Nintendo in their **** best-selling system. I expected it to be physically as demanding, at least equally accurate and fun. Instead you barely work a sweat. You are more concerned with twisting your wrist right so you execute the moves described in the controls help. But you get frustrated because for the most part the game registers a different move than you initially intended. The vast majority of your strikes end up beyond the court. You have less control over what area of the court the ball will fall in. Yes, even less control than in Wii Sports. Sometimes the game doesn't register your move so you inevitably lose points. You want to hit the ball with your backhand but the game automatically switches to forehand and the other way around. I assume then that the controls are broken or at least not implemented as well as in Wii Sports, needless to say, three years earlier.

Since this is a motion-controls-based game I expect it to make me sweat, lose some calories. I want to use it as a means for exercise, to help me stay at least a little bit fitter. Even so, I'm disappointed once more as the game does not involve any strength whatsoever.

The bottom line is stick to Wii sports instead of wasting your time with this broken product.

#10 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2009
#38 Most Shared Wii Game of 2009

1. To sum it up, EA Sport’s Grand Slam Tennis is definitely one of the best sport games that we have played on the console, thanks to Wii MotionPlus.
  2. Grand Slam Tennis is fun, but it’s hard to master for beginners. Wii MotionPlus works very good and gives the game an extra touch.
  3. Grand Slam Tennis is a great tennis simulation. Probably the Wii Motion plus does not shows its real potential, but this product is perfect for tennis lovers, thanks to the big variety of shots, the large number of game modes and a perfect online support.