Kirby's Return to Dream Land Wii

8.5

1. Jul 19, 2016
    Kirby returned to it's roots and didn't use gimmicks to get people playing. Well the gimmicks aren't bad but there overused. This game has great graphics and one of the most fantastic gameplay I've ever seen!
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    Kirby's Return to Dreamland is a return to the normal Kirby gameplay from the 1990s. This game includes a combination of gameplay elements from Kirby's Adventure (NES), Kirby SuperStar (SNES) and Kirby 64 (N64). Fans will surely live through this nostalgic train and will enjoy the amazing graphics and music which was implemented in the game. The graphics scheme is similar to 2010's DKCKirby's Return to Dreamland is a return to the normal Kirby gameplay from the 1990s. This game includes a combination of gameplay elements from Kirby's Adventure (NES), Kirby SuperStar (SNES) and Kirby 64 (N64). Fans will surely live through this nostalgic train and will enjoy the amazing graphics and music which was implemented in the game. The graphics scheme is similar to 2010's DKC Returns and the music is heavily influenced by the older kirby games as it includes alot of the old tracks remixed. Storyline wise its nothing special, but its a Nintendo game, you shouldnt be worried about the story but the gameplay is where this game truly shines. If your a old kirby fan, you will surely love this and will forget about the mess that Epic Yarn was. Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2016
    Kirby is one of Nintendo's favourite characters did the game met the expectations that come with being an iconic character ?

Technically the game is okay, like always with Nintendo there's no issue and the graphics are in the average of the console at the time. The art direction is fantastic and is a good candidate to the title of cutest game of all time, you almost feel bad of killing the enemies sometime..

Concerning the gameplay its a classic 2D platformer with two exceptions link to the abilities of kirby : he can fly so you shouldn't die from a fall very often; secondly its swallowing ability grant him power up matching the enemy previously swallow, it adds some tactical side to the game. Otherwise you go through levels full of hidden items for all the completionists out there. The boss fights are quite fun and sometimes challenging (that final boss...). But the whole game is rather simple, specially if compared to games like Donkey Kong or Mario. It's always fun when games offer the possibility to play in coop (but not online in this case) and this one is pretty clever giving the player the choice between have all the characters with the same abilities that Kirby or have specific class for each one.

The story is like always in those Nintendo platformers too simple to be enjoyable and it only serves as a pretext to go through a lot of levels but doesn't create any bond with the characters. If you want to finish the game at 100% you can expect around 12 hours gameplay, 8 if you only want to finish the solo mode, it's a bit short for the genre but not outrageous.

In conclusion Kirby's Return to Dream Land is a fine platformer, enjoyable alone or with friends, but the lack of a meaningful story and it's minimal length (mostly due to the lack of challenge) will get in the way of a title for great game, specially for a console that offers so much good platformers. Advisable if you like the Kirby universe and the genre nonetheless.
  4. Dec 30, 2014
    Even though the game lacks challenge and the levels feel really similar to each other, Kirby's Return to Dream Land is a very delightful platform with colorful visuals and great gameplay.
  5. Dec 27, 2011
    I strongly disagree with IGN's review of Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Sure, the game may be easy (fortunately, the difficulty ramps up during later levels) and the plot may be somewhat unoriginal, but that's not the point; the point is that you are playing a gorgeous, finely-polished Kirby game that has been in development since Kirby 64 was released.
  6. Sep 9, 2015
    A nice little platformer featuring the most adorable Nintendo character ever. It has great levels, great copy abilities and above all, an amazing little story. The sub-games are brilliant too. It's definitely a masterpiece, and a must buy for wii gamers. Probably the most addictive Kirby game ever!
  7. Dec 9, 2015
    The game is enjoyable,I also like playing as other characters in multiplayer,Maglor is a great boss,and his music is awwwwwwwssssssssoommmmmmmmeeeeee.
  8. Aug 22, 2012
    Another awesome game for Kirby! It is very fun, bright and well made. This is the first traditional Kirby game release since Mouse Attack on the DS (another great game) but is a step up. The graphics are very cheerful and bright (although sometimes they are a little too simplistic to the point of looking a little bland), as is the music and story. It is a great game, but not up to theAnother awesome game for Kirby! It is very fun, bright and well made. This is the first traditional Kirby game release since Mouse Attack on the DS (another great game) but is a step up. The graphics are very cheerful and bright (although sometimes they are a little too simplistic to the point of looking a little bland), as is the music and story. It is a great game, but not up to the standards of Epic Yarn or Mass Attack which both offer different styles of gameplay. It's very much a joyous experience, but not quite at the top of the Kirby games, 89/100. Expand
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wonderful, truly wonderful! A fantastic mix of Kirby 64, Kirby's Adventure and Kirby's epic yarn.

Graphics It's a Kirby game, everything is bright and kawaii, characters are well animated, so are abilities. The anti-aliasing is very good, and the anisotropic filtering is better than some Xbox one and PS4 games. Graphically it's charming with very few issues, if any.

Gameplay Standard Kirby platforming that remains loyal (*cough* Kirby mass attack *cough*) to games like Kirby's adventure for the NES, and has elements of Kirby 64. It is fun, yet has occasional difficulty spikes with no difficulty curve. Still excellent fun, and good for all the family, with no real violence and 4-player co-op.

Story Much like other Kirby games, this has a very easy-to-understand story that is family friendly. A star cutter has crash landed and Kirby needs to help the Star warrior inside the ship rebuild it. Easy. A good, enjoyable story that doesn't even try to be over-complicated.

Verdict A fun, family-friendly platformer, that is good for core and casual gamers alike. Unresponsive controls and difficulty spikes instead of a difficulty curve are all that harms this game, yet any difficulty is real *glares at Hitman Absolution* and what you are getting is fully worth the money. 8.5/10 (rounded up)
  10. Jul 31, 2013
    An awesome game, the long awaited wii installment for Kirby, it doesn't disappoint! The option to play as Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and his right hand Waddle Dee, all 4 players will have fun for days! The music is amazing as well! It was a little easy at times, and the extra mode is kinda boring. The graphics are great and the story and characters are so cute! Go get it now if youAn awesome game, the long awaited wii installment for Kirby, it doesn't disappoint! The option to play as Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and his right hand Waddle Dee, all 4 players will have fun for days! The music is amazing as well! It was a little easy at times, and the extra mode is kinda boring. The graphics are great and the story and characters are so cute! Go get it now if you don't have it! Expand
  11. Dec 1, 2011
    What kind of person gives a superb game a offensively negative score? Metacritic should not even register the top/bottom 10% of reviews, because the haters and mindless fanboys are making a mockery of the system.
  12. Oct 26, 2011
    This game is an absolute masterpiece. Brilliant! A true homage to the SNES classics, but even better. Definitely a must buy for the Wii.
    If you're looking for fun and something worth your time and money, look no further.
  13. Feb 18, 2012
    If you ask me, which you are if you are reading my review, I think this game, like Scott said, isn't really meant to be a "24-hour hard-core" challenger. It's more like a "spend a weekend with your friends and have a nice, relaxing gaming experience" kind of game. I think the multiplayer is nice ( I've always wanted to play as Dedede) and the story and minigames are interesting enough toIf you ask me, which you are if you are reading my review, I think this game, like Scott said, isn't really meant to be a "24-hour hard-core" challenger. It's more like a "spend a weekend with your friends and have a nice, relaxing gaming experience" kind of game. I think the multiplayer is nice ( I've always wanted to play as Dedede) and the story and minigames are interesting enough to keep your attention. Expand
  14. Nov 20, 2011
    Is He back? YES HE IS BACK! Kirby finally brings a true sequel to its 3d classic Kirby 64, even much more enhanced than ever before. This is the finest Kirby game you can ever find at least on his formula, on his spin off games is of course Epic Yarn. But really, visually great, the amount of powers is endless, and no power feels useless except the sleepy trap one of course. Boss fightsIs He back? YES HE IS BACK! Kirby finally brings a true sequel to its 3d classic Kirby 64, even much more enhanced than ever before. This is the finest Kirby game you can ever find at least on his formula, on his spin off games is of course Epic Yarn. But really, visually great, the amount of powers is endless, and no power feels useless except the sleepy trap one of course. Boss fights are engaging, and it gets difficult by the minute, and just when things seem to be over, the game brings you even more levels to play! Expand
  15. Sep 29, 2012
    This is the best kirby game ever! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Aug 18, 2014
    Really fun game! The graphics are wonderful, the story is clear and is a true hail to the SNES classics and even the N64 Kirby but better. It's fun not only as a single player but as a multiplayer game where in addition to having the choice to be a different colored Kirby, you can also be DeDeDe, a Waddledee, or Metaknight. They even brought back the parasol and you can get "Super" powersReally fun game! The graphics are wonderful, the story is clear and is a true hail to the SNES classics and even the N64 Kirby but better. It's fun not only as a single player but as a multiplayer game where in addition to having the choice to be a different colored Kirby, you can also be DeDeDe, a Waddledee, or Metaknight. They even brought back the parasol and you can get "Super" powers (regular ones but bigger/better) in addition to new ones and all in all.... it's **** Kirby. It plays like a classic Kirby game, feels like one, and is a great adventure. Must have for the Wii Expand
  17. Nov 15, 2014
    Such an incredible Kirby game tbh. The graphics are very polished and colourful as well as the game play itself being excellent. Even though it's a bit of a rare game now it's a must buy if you find it.
  18. May 31, 2015
    La bola rosa esta de regreso y lo mas fiel al clásico
    La bola rosa esta de regreso y lo mas fiel al clásico
    Por fin después de un largo tiempo llega la nueva aventura de kirby y lo mejor fiel al clásico después de un largo tiempo con juegos buenos pero no a la altura de la saga kirby como kirby air ride y kirby epic yarn como siempre hall laboratorio creando nuevas experiencias y sacando el potencial de la consola que les toca trabajar, el nuevo juego de kirby es lo mas sercano a kirby aventura de la nes y kirby super star de snes y eso se agradece mucho un gran juego para los amantes de la bola rosa como yo música estamos antes una banda sonora total mente nueva y lo mejor que funciona a la perfección,logrando un agradable paseo por los mundos de kirby jugabilidad mantiene el estilo clásico con pequeñas innovaciones con el wiimote como usar la espada gigante, el dragón de fuego y muchas habilidades mas que quiero que descubran por su propia cuenta, el juego tiene una buena cantidad de mundos y desafíos para completar el juego al 100 % debes sacar todas la
  19. Sep 22, 2013
    a masterpiece rivaled only by earlier kirby titles like superstar.

truly an amazing game worthy of being called a HAL title. one may only weep at what they have in store for us in the future.
  20. Nov 9, 2011
    Excellent game, much better than Epic Yarn. Gave me a huge buzz of nostalgia for Kirby 64, yet it also reminded me of Superstar Ultra- this game is classic Kirby through and through. Nintendo`s annual console platformers keep getting better and better, can`t wait to see what 2D game they have planned for next year.
  21. Mar 2, 2015
    When I first found out that Kirby was going to get another Wii game, I was very excited. When I got a chance to play it, my flipping mind was blown away! This is easily the best kirby game to date. The controls work very well and all my mistakes were basically my own fault. The game just looks so beautiful! The colors are vibrant and makes me want to look at the backgrounds for hours. TheWhen I first found out that Kirby was going to get another Wii game, I was very excited. When I got a chance to play it, my flipping mind was blown away! This is easily the best kirby game to date. The controls work very well and all my mistakes were basically my own fault. The game just looks so beautiful! The colors are vibrant and makes me want to look at the backgrounds for hours. The bosses are great too with different twists in each and every one of them. My favorite part, however, has got to be the abilities. The old and new abilities work very well and are very useful, and HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF GOD, THE SUPER ABILITIES!! I would gladly say that this is one of my favorite games of all time and it's basically Nightmare in Dreamland from the GBA but a gazillions times better. I just love it! Expand
  22. Dec 25, 2011
    EXCELLENT game. Kirby's Return To Dream Land has beautiful visuals, exhilarating gameplay, and the classic charm of Kirby. I'd seriously recommend this to everyone.
  23. Nov 10, 2011
    Kirby's Return to Dreamland is the most success game ever after previews Kirby..
    such great ideas with great new moves and style ..COOP is Epic why should we think about this game soo much??? its FUUUUUUUUUUN
    play and never feel boaring about it
  24. Nov 2, 2011
    If you like classic platformer games, this game is for you!. Maybe it is not as Dificult as other wii platformers, but, Kirby has never been dificult. What makes Kirby special is its amount of fun and charm!. With its colorfull environments, optional (but fun) multiplayer, and the lot of things to do, this is definetly a worthy purchase!... P.S: if you are searching for some kind ofIf you like classic platformer games, this game is for you!. Maybe it is not as Dificult as other wii platformers, but, Kirby has never been dificult. What makes Kirby special is its amount of fun and charm!. With its colorfull environments, optional (but fun) multiplayer, and the lot of things to do, this is definetly a worthy purchase!... P.S: if you are searching for some kind of challenge, better go with DKCReturns! Expand
  25. Oct 28, 2011
    Are you people on some kind of drug? This is the best Kirby game ever made and it IS hard if you actually go and play past world 4, which I doubt any critic even did. Plus there's a 'Hard Mode' you unlock after beating the extremely difficult final boss. The complaints make no sense whatsoever and just lead me to believe there's a serious bias against ANY Wii game no matter the quality.Are you people on some kind of drug? This is the best Kirby game ever made and it IS hard if you actually go and play past world 4, which I doubt any critic even did. Plus there's a 'Hard Mode' you unlock after beating the extremely difficult final boss. The complaints make no sense whatsoever and just lead me to believe there's a serious bias against ANY Wii game no matter the quality. Critics say "it's more of the same" but then go and award the tenth Call of Duty expansion pack a perfect 10. Expand
  26. May 6, 2012
    Amazing, thats the one word that describes this game, if you are a hardcore Kirby fan and was kinda burned by Epic Yarn and Mass attack. I promise that won't happen here. With new abilites, many unlockables, and great sub-games, by the end of the game, this could be among you favorite titles in the series.
  27. Nov 21, 2011
    the best local 4 players game that i have played, a great kirby game similar to the old one but with its own unique charm, a cute and sweet game, that is fun from begining to end :)
  28. Nov 20, 2011
    Well it's Kirby! I like super abilities and fact that each ability has multiple new attacks. Sounds and music are great. Multiplayer is awesome idea, but even two player mode is soooo much easier it sometimes isn't funny (can't imagine four player mode). I was slightly disappointed by difficulty. I think Kirby games should be chalenging.
  29. Jan 10, 2012
    I honestly don't know what other reviewers are saying when they claim that this game is "too easy". Because if they think that then either they're a master at Kirby games or simply didn't play it all the way through. This game is by no means "too easy", sure it starts off easy but like all platformers, the difficulty increases, like if Kirby's Epic Yarn (which I loved) was a 3/10 in termsI honestly don't know what other reviewers are saying when they claim that this game is "too easy". Because if they think that then either they're a master at Kirby games or simply didn't play it all the way through. This game is by no means "too easy", sure it starts off easy but like all platformers, the difficulty increases, like if Kirby's Epic Yarn (which I loved) was a 3/10 in terms of difficulty, Kirby's Return to Dreamland is at least a 7 or 8/10, especially when trying to collect all the energy spheres and getting platinum medals in all the challenges (which I've yet to accomplish > Expand
  30. Jan 27, 2014
    Kirby's long awaited return to console gaming was a complete success. HAL Laboratories have definitely out done themselves. This game is faithful to the series as it does re-use a lot of the same game mechanics, all the while adding in new characters and a much improved co-op mode. Plus, the game itself can be awe inspiring at times, and the music is some of the best in the Kirby series.Kirby's long awaited return to console gaming was a complete success. HAL Laboratories have definitely out done themselves. This game is faithful to the series as it does re-use a lot of the same game mechanics, all the while adding in new characters and a much improved co-op mode. Plus, the game itself can be awe inspiring at times, and the music is some of the best in the Kirby series. A definite must for any Wii or Wii U owner. Expand

#3 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2011
#4 Most Shared Wii Game of 2011

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 27, 2012
    Trashy and naïve platformer comes in a traditional style. The best way to enjoy the new Kirby is co-op multiplayer – preferably an adult together with a kid. [Jan 2012]
  2. Feb 6, 2012
    Kirby's twelfth adventure is, as expected, an old-fashioned platformgame. Split in two worlds we're offered several, entertaining levels,and all the classic platform elements are present, as they should be. The various abilities Kirby can absorb from his enemies, makes surethat this game never gets boring.
    It seems that by not having to come up with an original idea, the developers have been able to make the game more cohesive. This is a fun and accessible platformer with plenty of charm, fun superpowers, and a somewhat odd multiplayer mode that takes a little getting used to.