7.7

1. Nov 16, 2011
    This is exactly as I imagined it to be. Years 1-4 was great fun, and 5-7 builds on this with new spells, characters, abilities, locations. The developers have done a great job of cramming everything from the Potter-verse into the game. It also looks great. The best Potter game EVER!â
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    This new LEGO Harry Potter game is fantastic. After heavy disappointment from the official film tie-in's, Traveller's Tales has really nailed it! I'm a big fan of the original Years 1-4 and 5-7 builds upon the charm and freedom of the first one to give a really comprehensive Potter experience. I especially love being able to roam around London and get on a train to Hogsmeade and walkThis new LEGO Harry Potter game is fantastic. After heavy disappointment from the official film tie-in's, Traveller's Tales has really nailed it! I'm a big fan of the original Years 1-4 and 5-7 builds upon the charm and freedom of the first one to give a really comprehensive Potter experience. I especially love being able to roam around London and get on a train to Hogsmeade and walk around the castle, meet new characters and experience all the extra bonus content that the dev's have managed to get in there. I have been following this game eagerly since it was announced and I read that it was one "by Potter fans, for Potter fans" and there is some lovely subtle references of the books (but left of out the films). This game did not disappoint and it's exactly as I imaged it would be. Anyone who claims to be a Potter fan needs this game in their lives.â Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2012
    This game was terrific, and maybe even better than 1-4. It was really fun playing as Harry through all the battles and intense moments he goes through during his older years. Another job well done.
  4. Jan 13, 2015
    LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 may almost be the exact same thing as its predecessor, but it removed all the bugs and it has the better movies? What more could you ask for?

The gameplay is mostly the same as with every other LEGO game. You can collect studs and you build stuff with LEGO bricks along the way to advance in the game or complete a certain objective. Of course, a Harry Potter twist must be added. You can cast spells like Expelliarmus, Riddikulus, Avada Kedavara, and much more! One of the spells (Aguamenti) has to use the Wii sensor bar which I didn't really enjoy, but it's excusable. All of the spells are fun to use no matter how useless they are.

The hub world in this game is huge! You can explore Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley, the Leaky Cauldron, a part of the Muggle World, and the forest from Deathly Hallows Part 1! It's amazing how much there is to see and do in just the hub/overworld! There's so much to collect as with every LEGO game. Character tokens and various gold bricks are scattered around as well as the gameplay-changing red bricks, which may add a cheat (multiplying your money) or just a random thing (mustaches).

Each Harry Potter film (Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows Part 1, and Part 2) is separated into 6 levels. Of course, there are various things to do in between each level. You might have to attend a certain class, go to Hogsmeade, or the level might be locked until you do something for someone. It makes the game a bit longer and adds a lot more replayability.

Like all LEGO games, multiplayer/co-op play is included. I played this entire game co-operatively and it was a blast! It's amazing how much more fun a game can be when playing with a friend as opposed to playing all by yourself. I'd definitely recommend playing with someone else to make the game even more amazing than it already is.

Overall, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 is easily my favorite LEGO game, excluding LEGO City Undercover. There's just so much to do that it'd be a wonder if you ever complete it!

Overall, LEGO Harry Potter is a cute and fun game, but the self-imposed limitations of the block-building franchise take away any sense of freedom or adventure. What's left is a very simple hack-and-smash puzzle-action game, perfect to play with younger family members, but not one for people looking for an epic, all-out Harry Potter experience. LEGO veterans may see past issues I have with those restrictions, but as a first-timer they definitely stood out to me.
  2. Jan 16, 2012
    LEGO Harry Potter: Year 5-7 is – mainly due to the great coop experience – one of the top Wii releases within the genre in 2011.
  3. Jan 14, 2012
    In essence this is identical to the game you destroyed and rebuilt last year. But whe it's this much fun it would be riddikulus to complain. [Christmas 2011, p.70]