Link's Crossbow Training Wii

7.1

1. Jul 27, 2016
    The game is a very good spinoff and it is very reasonable to be on the Nintendo Wii. Sure still flawed cause the gameplay can be repetitive still but the game is still enjoyable.
  2. Nov 18, 2014
    This, if you havent played Twilight Princess yet, is a great precursor to it. The longevity is boastworthy and with unparalleled fun this is the game that keeps on giving.
  3. Oct 24, 2013
    It's similar too Wii sports for being fun for a little while but after around a month and never really found a reason to play it again seeing it only helps me how to use the Wii gun.
  4. Dec 25, 2011
    This game is very enjoyable and has a high replay value. Unfortunately it's a very short experience that leaves you wanting more. It feels more like a mini game that should have been included within Twilight Princess.
  5. Nov 13, 2011
    Pretty cool arcade fun, although it's pretty short lived, the Zapper controller works and feels like a crossbow, and as for the presentation, it's pretty much on par with the basic parts of Twilight Princess.
  6. Aug 12, 2011
    THE WII ZAPPER & LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING BUNDLE

Ah, "Link's Crossbow Training" and the Wii Zapper, Nintendo's first-party gun "shell" accessory. Ok, so this bundle has been available since this time in 2007, which means I've had it just as long. Why review it, you ask? Because I feel it's long overdue. At first glance, this isn't a bad idea at all. $20 gets you the Zapper and
    THE WII ZAPPER & LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING BUNDLE

At first glance, this isn't a bad idea at all. $20 gets you the Zapper and the game "Link's Crossbow Training." If you're buying this, you already own a Wii, which means you have a Wii Remote and Nunchuck. You're all set. Just snap the Remote and Nunchuck into the Zapper, load up "Link's Crossbow Training," and get ready to get familiarized with the Wii Zapper.

This is about where the fun ends. For starters, anyone who has ever fired a gun would want the trigger at the rear end of the firearm, not the fore. So naturally you'll grab the Nunchuck-end in your firing hand, and if you do this then you're wrong. "Link's Crossbow Training" uses the B button as the trigger, which is up on the front of the Wii Zapper (because it's on the Remote, not Nunchuck), and does not allow you to customize the control scheme. Even still, "Link's Crossbow Training" isn't unplayable using the packed-in accessory, it's just more difficult than it needs to be.

I admit, I haven't played EVERY game that supports the peripheral, but I can only imagine the frustration. Many games, some are WiiWare, some are disc-based, have been made that support the Wii Zapper. Games like "Call of Duty," "Sin and Punishment," and so on. Recently, I tried to use the Wii Zapper with a FPS game that was not listed as supporting the Wii Zapper, "The Conduit." You are given the option to customize the controller layout, so I set it up in a fashion that I felt would make best use of the Zapper. Unfortunately, some actions cannot be mapped to motions, but I saved my setup and plunged into the game...and quickly realized that there is a reason that "The Conduit" doesn't support the Zapper--it makes the game too damn hard!

So my overall review of "Link's Crossbow Training" is...I dunno, I haven't thought of a scale. 2 out of 5 coins? The game is worth a rental if you're a Zelda fan or a shooting gallery fan, and should be skipped if you're not.
  7. May 19, 2011
    This game is a bit of fun, but the controls aren't the greatest and it is way too short to ever amount to anything. It may have been a nice mini-game in Twilight Princess, but it just never amounts to anything truly worthwhile. Anyone looking at this title should just stick to Twilight Princess, but get that game on the Gamecube instead of the Wii - the controls are better.
  8. Nov 1, 2010
    I have been playing this game for a few weeks now and I think its great. The A.V. Club said you can get through it in one sitting...WRONG! Sure its not a long game, and you can get to the end probably sooner than other games but its a very fun shooter. The sounds are great and the levels are challenging and it looks good too. Plus the game encourages accuracy over just plain blasting.I have been playing this game for a few weeks now and I think its great. The A.V. Club said you can get through it in one sitting...WRONG! Sure its not a long game, and you can get to the end probably sooner than other games but its a very fun shooter. The sounds are great and the levels are challenging and it looks good too. Plus the game encourages accuracy over just plain blasting. It could have more levels, but I'm sure most people won't get every metal and find every enemy for a long time.

Using the zapper is sort of hit or miss (pardon the pun). I find I do better without it, but I've used it as well too. For the price you can't beat this game. Well you can eventually...oh never mind.
  9. MarkD
    Jan 6, 2010
    I found the game to be very entertaining, especially the graphics and sounds. The biggest challenge is figuring out when to use the "fire" arrow which takes longer to shoot, but does more damage. I also like that you can shoot everything, and depending on the game, the item shot will yield different point values. Sometimes you get lucky and get the "floating golden star" which yields a I found the game to be very entertaining, especially the graphics and sounds. The biggest challenge is figuring out when to use the "fire" arrow which takes longer to shoot, but does more damage. I also like that you can shoot everything, and depending on the game, the item shot will yield different point values. Sometimes you get lucky and get the "floating golden star" which yields a high point value of about 800 points. Every once in a while you'll shoot something that will take away points, like killing the live chicken. I just wish there was a better way to remember where and how to get all of the high point values besides just trying to commit them to memory. Expand
  10. DougL
    May 23, 2008
    I like the game but dont really like the two handed zapper. I do enjoy the NYKO perfect shot with this game but the trigger is a bit tight. A good game for those who miss duck hunt etc. the "ranger" missions are a lot of fun especially for someone who played/finished twightlight princess. Would not have spend $50 on this, but for 20-25 it is fun if you want some light-gun action.
  11. KennethB
    May 4, 2008
    I like the game very much but ,the levels are too short.need more levels later on in game with smaller targets.the zapper is a bit small for the back of my hand is against it.each time I pull the trigger ,the zapper moves throwing off my shot
  12. BenihanaB
    Mar 16, 2008
    Really good game. Just wanted the wii zapper for other FPS, this game was a great bonus gift. My wife loves to play it too... Can not go wrong if you were planning on buying the zapper anyway
  13. dL
    Mar 2, 2008
    Hours of addicting game play have kept my wife and I attempting to progressively out do each other for the last 3 months.
  14. BenjaminB.
    Jan 14, 2008
    I finished the game after about three hours with all the medals but it's always a fun to replay it, especially with friends. But it stays just a quite nice, very short shooter, no must-have if you don't need a zapper. Do not expect too much and you won't be disappointed.
  15. BrodyS.
    Jan 8, 2008
    First, I must say that the Zapper peripheral is not as bad as people seem to think it is. It genuinely improves my aim and stability on games like this. As for the game itself, it's simply too short. The environments are creative, the enemies are varied, and the boss battles are fun, but the entire game can be beaten in an hour. The multiplayer mode extends the fun a little more, but First, I must say that the Zapper peripheral is not as bad as people seem to think it is. It genuinely improves my aim and stability on games like this. As for the game itself, it's simply too short. The environments are creative, the enemies are varied, and the boss battles are fun, but the entire game can be beaten in an hour. The multiplayer mode extends the fun a little more, but the game just needed to be larger. But for 20 bucks, what am I complaining about? Expand
  16. JamesC.
    Dec 10, 2007
    It is not the deepest game but it its incredibly addictive. For only £20, you can't go wrong. The graphics are great and so is the music. The zapper should be worth £20 on its own but you also get a really fun game as well.
  17. MatthewH.
    Dec 7, 2007
    I agree with the other readers. This game is short, but sweet! You will either love or hate the Zapper, but for the price this is a game you can afford to get. I could have been better, with online leaderboards, but hey now we are getting just a tad picky! GO BUY THIS!
  18. JeffZ.
    Dec 4, 2007
    For a rail shooter, this game is a blast. Yes, its a bit short, but a heck of a lot of fun. Very worth the price for the zapper. I also like the zapper itself.
  19. Greg
    Nov 24, 2007
    This game is one of my favorites on the Wii. Its so easy to play and quick to learn. How I view it is it was discounted and came with a free Zapper. A fantastic way to sell the zapper. I actually bought this game intending not to use the zapper but I found out how easy ti was to use and coulden't resist. I recommend this to anyone who can find it.
  20. SamJ.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Personally I don't believe this game should even be judged as if it were a full fledged game, it's not. However, for the $20 price tag, it offers a lot of fun and if your a fan of Twilight Princess, this is right up your alley.
  21. WesS.
    Nov 21, 2007
    I'd actually give this game an 8.5. But since you can't do that it's an 8. Its short, but very sweet. I found myself beating this game in one sitting, an hour or so. But of course, not getting all the high scores and such...It's a very addicting game. and a great value!
  22. Dec 25, 2011

#25 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#38 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

1. So while Crossbow Training isn't a deep experience (it really needs online leader boards), it's addictive and justifies buying the Zapper.
    The problem with Link's Crossbow Training is unusual. It's not that it's a bad game. Instead, it's that there's just not enough to it.
    It's great for family gaming and the competitive edge offered makes it attractive to core gamers. If only Nintendo had bothered to include global ranked high-score leaderboards.