8.2

1. Aug 14, 2010
    This was a massive Dissapointment. It's just too easy! And it gets boring quicklly. I'm a fan of MarioKart bt this is a poor version. Get Mario Kart DS or even Mario Kart: Super Circuit on the GBA. They're both better than this.
  2. Mar 28, 2011
    I was, and still am, a big fan of "Mario Kart : Double Dash" on the Gamecube and "Mario Kart Wii" was the biggest dissapointment I've had in a long time. Proof being that I sold it (which I rarely do with my games).

The Wii Wheel and bikes are gimmicky features, technically it is not extraordinary. We also lose the highly interesting and tactical "two characters thus two active objects at
    the same time", and we also lose the character-specific objects.

The worst part being the anorectic multiplayer. My MK pal and I would just have loved the MK:DD multiplayer with just online play added. They could also have added more arenas, differently sized arena, possibility to tweak the object distribution chance, etc...

They did... nothing... Except removing "friendly fire" (an opponent taking his own shell is the most hilarious thing that can happen in MK:DD) and forcing a time limit. NOTHING is tweakable.

The only positive thing about "Mario Kart Wii" is online play: simple, effective.

Too bad the game itself is so low quality gameplay-wise. Being 12 in a race and with the highly overpowered items, races are even more random than previously.

Even in single/multiplayer race mode, I still prefer MK:DD hands down.

As a regular multiplayer cart racing game, it could get a 5 or 6.

Down in the bin for me.
  3. Apr 3, 2014
    12 players in a race is crazy, especially in 1P mode, considering the lowest placed placed characters get more aggressive items like thunder and blue shells, sometimes the crazy goes race since they didn't fine tune this feature here, many times you'll find yourself about to cross the finish line and someone uses a thunder, you get 2 blue shells, and someone else uses a thunder.
    it just
    doesn't work, at least not without some much needed adjusting, because it still follows the numbering from previous games ( places 5 and under get stars, blue shells, bullet bill, thunder, etc ) so there's at least 6 people under 5th place and it becomes really unfair really fast.
    I'd love to give this a higher grade especially considering how it improved from double dash, but this really keeps me from it, because it makes the game way too frustrating

1. With more features, modes and multiplayer options than ever before, fans should be revved up to get behind the wheel. [May 2008, p.86]
  2. Having sacrificed racing integrity in "Double Dash" to side with social silliness, Nintendo has turned 180 degrees into an awkward halfway house. [May 2008, p.86]
  3. Then there is the Wii Wheel peripheral itself, which if you did not already know is just a plastic housing for the Wiimote. I have to admit though it is a well made bit of plastic, and is not only smarter looking than the uninspired Wii Zapper, but also more ergonomic to hold. Unexpectedly it is very easy to use.