Mario Kart Wii Wii

8.3

1. Aug 14, 2010
    This was a massive Dissapointment. It's just too easy! And it gets boring quicklly. I'm a fan of MarioKart bt this is a poor version. Get Mario Kart DS or even Mario Kart: Super Circuit on the GBA. They're both better than this.
  2. Apr 7, 2016
    As the casual and family friendly experience we would expect from a 4fun racing title, Funky Kong's Flame Runner Racing is the most disappointing online experience I've ever had. You thought this was a kart game? Wrong. Of the more than 8 vehicles available, only a single bike can be used if you want to stand a chance on the brutal online multiplayer, given it's absurd advantage of havingAs the casual and family friendly experience we would expect from a 4fun racing title, Funky Kong's Flame Runner Racing is the most disappointing online experience I've ever had. You thought this was a kart game? Wrong. Of the more than 8 vehicles available, only a single bike can be used if you want to stand a chance on the brutal online multiplayer, given it's absurd advantage of having a much easier drift as well as the top speed on the game. But even if you know that and play quite well, the casual player doesn't stand a minimum chance of getting any better than the last 3 positions on a 12 man online race, because everyone else is a perfect bot which makes absolutely no mistakes the entire race and gets a speed boost instead of being delayed whenever they get hit by an item. As for the offline mode, you will often get hit by 3 or more items in succession on the last lap of a race and go from 1st to the last position, which is quite frustrating. So basically, offline and online races are extremely hard for the opposite reasons: offline means easy races but hard to maintain the first few positons because items will totally screw you, online has very tough races where the pro players are untouchable and items won't help you at all. I suppose this is an OK game to play offline with a couple of friends, the maps are the best ever seen on a Mario Kart title, but the online multiplayer - which was supposed to be the best part of the game - is a freaking mess of terrible gameplay balance and brutal competitiveness. Expand
  3. Apr 3, 2014
    12 players in a race is crazy, especially in 1P mode, considering the lowest placed placed characters get more aggressive items like thunder and blue shells, sometimes the crazy goes race since they didn't fine tune this feature here, many times you'll find yourself about to cross the finish line and someone uses a thunder, you get 2 blue shells, and someone else uses a thunder.
    it just
    it just doesn't work, at least not without some much needed adjusting, because it still follows the numbering from previous games ( places 5 and under get stars, blue shells, bullet bill, thunder, etc ) so there's at least 6 people under 5th place and it becomes really unfair really fast.
    I'd love to give this a higher grade especially considering how it improved from double dash, but this really keeps me from it, because it makes the game way too frustrating
  4. CulleyS
    May 12, 2008
    I agree with the Game Chronicles review of this game completely. There are too many random events, likely conceived as challenges to make the game more entertaining, which too often serve to detract from the game. For instance, blue flying shells can knock a player out of first place, or any player near the racer in first place. Bullet Bills can bring a player in last place (or close to I agree with the Game Chronicles review of this game completely. There are too many random events, likely conceived as challenges to make the game more entertaining, which too often serve to detract from the game. For instance, blue flying shells can knock a player out of first place, or any player near the racer in first place. Bullet Bills can bring a player in last place (or close to last) flying through the field all the way up to first place. I simply cannot recommend this game. It could have been really fun, but the lack of skill involved (or, more accurately, the lack of being rewarded for skill or penalized for making poor choices) damages the game. Furthermore, I bought this game to play in multi-player mode. The lack of features for 2 or more players is the main reason I've scored Mario Kart Wii so low. No features can be unlocked, no trophies for your license, and really only three types of races can be run in multi-player mode. Expand
  5. ChaseD.
    May 5, 2008
    A horrible entry into the series, it seems to be nintendo's trend of late in order to go along with their system being marketed to new markets (toddlers and the old and decrepit) to sacrifice their fanbase and the depth of gameplay of their games in favor of easily accessible 20 min of fun followed by a lifetime of byers remorse. Keep playing MK 64 or even MK DD...thats what I will A horrible entry into the series, it seems to be nintendo's trend of late in order to go along with their system being marketed to new markets (toddlers and the old and decrepit) to sacrifice their fanbase and the depth of gameplay of their games in favor of easily accessible 20 min of fun followed by a lifetime of byers remorse. Keep playing MK 64 or even MK DD...thats what I will be doing. Damn nintendo for not caring about their fanbase. Expand
  6. AliH.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Very disappointing. Wheel control is iffy to nigh on impossible depending on your character, but its even worse when it is forced onto you when playing single player, and forced on someone in multiplayer. Compared to double dash (my favorite) the new levels are fairly dull, without standout moments (you get fired from a connon in about 5 tracks...sigh) whilst others being eerily similar Very disappointing. Wheel control is iffy to nigh on impossible depending on your character, but its even worse when it is forced onto you when playing single player, and forced on someone in multiplayer. Compared to double dash (my favorite) the new levels are fairly dull, without standout moments (you get fired from a connon in about 5 tracks...sigh) whilst others being eerily similar to previous tracks, characters have lost their unique weapons, the whole game feels slower and the chance of being robbed of a win at the finish line by a blue shell/bullet bill/lightening occurs constantly. Worst of all they've messed around with the character voices with DK being particullarly strange and the music sounds tinny... best avoid this one. Expand
  7. ChadE.
    Apr 26, 2008
    It is fun but to childish. Graphics are almost the same as the ds version. Why do wii games get such a high score when there medioker and 360 and PS3 games have to be spectacular to even get a like a 85.
  8. wayneg
    May 6, 2008
    The CPU cheats when it comes to items. There are too many items that take out every other player. I have been in the lead by more than half a lap on lap 3 and ended up taking 9th place because the computer got all the perfect items to stop me from winning; and it happens far too often. Double dash had better graphics. Steering wheel and bikes add nothing to the game.
  9. sids
    Aug 10, 2009
    Mario Kart Wii is a disgrace to racing games and the nintendo company alike. It is utter and complete trash. The game revolves around chance and bad driving mecchanics, with 64 esque graphics. Ugh.
  10. JohnC
    Oct 16, 2008
    At first this might seem like Nintendo's best game to date, but further play proves it is actually their worst. When did good programming go out of style? While single player mode is tolerable, if fun even, the multiplayer is maddening. Rolling a pair of dice takes about as much skill. And that's if you aren't continually disconnected, which usually results in a 300 point At first this might seem like Nintendo's best game to date, but further play proves it is actually their worst. When did good programming go out of style? While single player mode is tolerable, if fun even, the multiplayer is maddening. Rolling a pair of dice takes about as much skill. And that's if you aren't continually disconnected, which usually results in a 300 point loss (when you have a high score around 8500-9000) and it can take a lot of games to recover that at a 50 point avg win per game, especially when this happens nearly every day and sometimes more. If you are lucky enough to remain connected, you will be treated to a giant helping of cheapness. Being in first for three laps means nothing when three blue shells in a row land and send you back to last place. The types of weapons mean for the most part, whoever gets the best weapon last wins. Roll the dice. And lets not forget that useless wii wheel. Tendinitis anyone? It would be so easy to fix this game (no dropped points on SERVER disconnections which have nothing to do with client connection, options for turning off super weapons or at least having them disabled in lap 3), but Nintendo is satisfied taking our money and giving us a sub-par product that doesn't get updated or fixed. Thanks Nintendo. Nintendo could have saved the precious money they spent on development to eat at McDonalds and instead upgraded double dash with multiplayer capability and they would've had a much better product. Expand
  11. AnnoyedP.
    Apr 27, 2008
    I give this a 3 based on the small amount of fun i had while playing multiplayer. This is by far the worst of the series, as catchup ai has been COMPLETELY overblown, good level design gone out the window, and... well the game just plain isn't fun. It isn't fun to go from first to last when you've done nothing wrong. Especially when you don't even want to play single I give this a 3 based on the small amount of fun i had while playing multiplayer. This is by far the worst of the series, as catchup ai has been COMPLETELY overblown, good level design gone out the window, and... well the game just plain isn't fun. It isn't fun to go from first to last when you've done nothing wrong. Especially when you don't even want to play single player, but are forced to if you want to unlock levels, players, and karts for multiplayer. This game isn't fun. I can sit here and go on and on about the disappointments, but games are pure and simple about fun, and this game fails to deliver. This just plain isn't a good game Expand
  12. DrewB
    May 13, 2008
    Annoying AI, average graphics, nothing new. This game is fun online, fun time trials, but nothing special. They would have been better off adding a multiplayer to the existing double dash game. DD was as good as this game is bad.
  13. DavidC
    Jun 12, 2008
    worst mario kart ever! worth the extra money to get a ds and the ds version. that is how much it stinks the 150cc is almost impossible to win but the 50cc and 100cc are ok the balloon battle is just gay as you keep respawning with balloons and the scoring on it is messed up and coin runners....wow how gay and a star rating how are you supposed to get that it is nearly impossible if you worst mario kart ever! worth the extra money to get a ds and the ds version. that is how much it stinks the 150cc is almost impossible to win but the 50cc and 100cc are ok the balloon battle is just gay as you keep respawning with balloons and the scoring on it is messed up and coin runners....wow how gay and a star rating how are you supposed to get that it is nearly impossible if you are looking for a good mario kart DONT get the Wii version! get the ds version and a ds as it is worth the money to get a ds also Expand
  14. RickyA.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Same characters, nothing new, a letdown, a too fast of a game, pointless and babyish, a disappointment.
  15. GeorgeC.
    Nov 13, 2007
    A well given controller to make things more comforting, I found myself bored through the fact of how the controller twisted my wrist and cracked it many times, the play is difficult, superb fast screenplay, a sensitive simply dumb game from the start.
  16. BillC.
    Nov 13, 2007
    One fun game that has a dull atmosphere, racing, racing, racing. Is that all this game has, the cheats are lame, the arenas are lame, the whole thing is lame, the adventure mode has not even changed, yeah you win a trophy, but there are no locked items or people, not as entertaining and engaging as I thought it would be.
  17. MattC.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Began to play it. It felt like I was playing a game that wasn't complete, didn't have enough, below standards, expectations, and had a nature of style that had a classy late 1980 style , it is easy and too predictable, it felt like I was playing one of those cheesy 1995 Gameboy cheap-ass games like Final Fantasy.
  18. Mar 28, 2011
    I was, and still am, a big fan of "Mario Kart : Double Dash" on the Gamecube and "Mario Kart Wii" was the biggest dissapointment I've had in a long time. Proof being that I sold it (which I rarely do with my games).

The Wii Wheel and bikes are gimmicky features, technically it is not extraordinary. We also lose the highly interesting and tactical "two characters thus two active objects at the same time", and we also lose the character-specific objects.

The worst part being the anorectic multiplayer. My MK pal and I would just have loved the MK:DD multiplayer with just online play added. They could also have added more arenas, differently sized arena, possibility to tweak the object distribution chance, etc...

They did... nothing... Except removing "friendly fire" (an opponent taking his own shell is the most hilarious thing that can happen in MK:DD) and forcing a time limit. NOTHING is tweakable.

The only positive thing about "Mario Kart Wii" is online play: simple, effective.

Too bad the game itself is so low quality gameplay-wise. Being 12 in a race and with the highly overpowered items, races are even more random than previously.

Even in single/multiplayer race mode, I still prefer MK:DD hands down.

As a regular multiplayer cart racing game, it could get a 5 or 6.

Down in the bin for me.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#6 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    With more features, modes and multiplayer options than ever before, fans should be revved up to get behind the wheel. [May 2008, p.86]
  2. Edge Magazine
    Having sacrificed racing integrity in "Double Dash" to side with social silliness, Nintendo has turned 180 degrees into an awkward halfway house. [May 2008, p.86]
  3. Then there is the Wii Wheel peripheral itself, which if you did not already know is just a plastic housing for the Wiimote. I have to admit though it is a well made bit of plastic, and is not only smarter looking than the uninspired Wii Zapper, but also more ergonomic to hold. Unexpectedly it is very easy to use.