6.2

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Mario Party 8 is a flat-out bad game. It comes nowhere near the franchise's peak (Mario Party 2) because the mini games have all taken a step backwards in terms of control. This was done to bring the Wii's motion controls into full effect. But basically speaking, they just don't work very well. They are so imprecise, that most of the time winning is a case of mere luck. It shouldn't be titled 'Mario Party', it should be titled 'Thrash The Wiimote Around Randomly Party'. Utter drek. Expand
  2. Mar 11, 2012
    Hey! It's circus time! Drop Super Mario Galaxy and ride down to one of the worst games of 2007! Play as disturbing chatacters, moan at boring activites, and smash your Wii to peices! It's all comin' down at Mario Party 8!
  3. Nov 13, 2011
    I gave Mario Party 8 a try at my friend's house and oh boy, this game disappointed me in many levels. I've enjoyed the Mario Party games in the past like Mario Party 3 on the N64 (one of my favourites from this Mario spin-off), but somehow this game left me with uninteresting junk in my loot bag for its tediously long board levels, dull mini-games and obnoxious computer A.I. Maybe kids under the age of 10 will enjoy playing this game, but no matter what, the fun will only last for less than 30 minutes in Mario Party 8. Expand
  4. Jan 21, 2012
    Apart from a few minigames, this game is so incredibly boring! And it is also so damn slow, just 1 turn takes several times longer than it should because of all the unnecessary in-game tips you get from the retarded host, who has to explain every minigame in detail over and over.
  5. Jan 26, 2012
    Mario party started as a great game, but just got worse and worse, and than Mario Party 8 was released. I played all mario party games, and this is the only one i hated. The mini games are boring, the medieval party style (yeah, for me, that's what it seems) failed and even playing multiplayer is boring...Let's hope 9 is better...
  6. Feb 27, 2013
    The Mario Party games have always provided plenty of multiplayer fun (although single player has always been dull) but this eighth entry in the series is a huge step backwards. An element of luck has always been required if you were to win but here it is taken to the extreme with stars no longer awarded post-game for winning the most mini-games or collecting the most coins. The mini-games themselves also lack the imagination of previous titles with the majority just requiring players the shake the Wiimote as fast as they can. Do yourself a favour and pick up either Mario Party 4 or the DS Version instead. Expand
  7. May 25, 2011
    Eight installments is enough. I played this, hoping to have a classic Mario Party formula, but I was really disappointed in the overall presentation. The minigames rely too much on luck rather than skill, and the graphics are a mixed bag. Some minigames have clunky and frequently unresponsive controls. Yes, there are a lot of unlockables, but those tend to be mostly sound tests. Lame.
  8. May 1, 2012
    This is definitly the worst mario party,the boards are extremely boring and also the minigames,they are just a few good minigames and also the visual effects, but in general the game is boring dont ever go to buy it,although it is the most sold
    but that doesnt mean is good is just BORING,Even in multiplayer.
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    There's one thing you need to know about Mario Party 8 before you buy it be prepared to do a lot of reading during the game! The game has an incredibly irritating interface whereby it bombards you with constant information throughout the game which can only be cleared by pressing the A key. Consequently, you spend most of the time repeatedly pressing the A key to get rid of the constant barrage of messages. In fact before the game even starts you are forced to read through an endless parade of information boxes that end up making things more confusing and leaving you wondering when on earth this game is going to start. For a game aimed at kids as well as adults I fail to see how any child would have the patience to read through so much claptrap before the game begins, it really is that tedious.

After reading what seems like a small book worth of instructions, the game finally starts. This is where the next level of frustration begins, as Mario Party 8 is based around you playing a boardgame that is little more than glorified snakes and ladders and has zero skill. Playing a game of luck against a human opponent has some element of short-term fun, but against the computer, forget it. As a single-player game, Mario Party 8 is a non-starter and will bore you witless very, very quickly.

Against a human opponent the boardgames are entertaining for a while and give some genuine laughs but the lack of skill needed soon gets annoying and you find yourself yearning for the mini-games to break up the monotony. But playing a mini-game, like everything else, relies on luck, you have to just hope that a roll of the dice lands you on a square which puts you into a mini-game. When the mini-game starts, your relief from the tedium is often very short-lived as many of the mini-games are over in less than a minute, then it's back to the wretched boardgame again. Another annoying touch to the game is that there are many pre-set animations that you are forced to watch without any option of skipping them, this just adds to the frustration of the game.

But what of the mini-games themselves? Well, many are actually very good, some are horrible, but generally they're good fun and well designed. Unfortunately some mini-games have to be unlocked which can only be achieved by success on the boardgames. So if you're willing to have your patience pushed to the limit it's possible to unlock them, but you'll probably end up deciding another session on the boardgames is too much to bear.

Mario Party 8 is a huge opportunity missed. The idea of loads of simple but fun party games is a good one, but the game design does everything it can to stifle this through the constant stream of pointless information that interrupts the game, and the woeful boardgames. It would have been better to either make the boardgames more skill-based, or just get rid of them completely, and let people just play the mini-games.
  10. Jul 18, 2013
    Mario Party just sunk to a whole new level. As in any other Mario Party, you run around the party boards, throwing dice and landing on different spaces. It's just chance, with no strategy whatsoever, and it's always been a multiplayer experience. To be honest, it's often the party boards that let down mario party games, but at least the minigames were fun. The main problem with Mario Party 8 is how it tries to take advantage of the wii remote. In one minigame, you must shake the wiimote as fast as you can. Wow, so... fun. In other, you must control a chimp by flicking the wii remote, but controls are largely unresponsive. And some other minigames don't use the motion capabilities at all, and are just plain boring. It's needless to say playing on your own is terribly boring. Multiplayer isn't much good either, but at least it's slightly better. Just like any other Mario Party game, Mario Party 8 also features a 'story mode'. This is often actually fun because at least there's a goal to actually do something, unlike party mode. Except in Mario Party 8, it's terrible. Chance plays a bigger part than ever before, especially since minigames aren't even included in this mode. At the moment, I'm stuck on Boo's Haunted Hideway(and always will be beacause I've sold the game). Here the rooms are in a random pattern every time, and you don't know where anything is. There's alwaya a Whomp blocking a doorway somewhere, which requires you to pay coins to him to get past. Except once, the design was so bad, there was no way to get enough coins to pay Whomp, especially because of the 'no minigame' rule. There was only one coin space, so it took too long to possibly even get one star before the time ran out. This is the 'fun' you have in Mario Party 8. Expand
  11. Aug 3, 2013
    This game is garbage. I know that this is a game for little kids but I played the all the Mario party games and this is one of the worst games out of the series! I remember the good days were the point was to get all the stars you can in twenty turns or twenty-five if you felt ballsy and hope that you are the player that killed Bowser. The game was really it is just unplayable. I hate this game it deserves nothing less than what I gave it. The music is horrible, the idea for the game taking place at a carnival is just dumb, and the graphics look like garbage. This is horrible and i regret playing this game. Expand
  12. May 12, 2014
    Why did I ask for this game for Christmas 2007? I liked the GameCube installments better..............CURSE YOU NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of our complaints about previous games – the slow pace, the lackluster single-player affair, the loose attention to detail – all remain and with Mario Party 8 we can add another criticism: ignorance of the Wii remote.
    A really disappointing (but, as mentioned at the start of this review, inevitably still entertaining) Wii debut for the series. Perhaps the next game will truly take advantage of the Wii controls through and through.
  3. There are some good minigames in Mario Party 8, but the overly familiar, chance-heavy board game wrapper gets in their way.