6.5

1. Mar 14, 2014
    People call this "the worst Mario Party game" and I see where they're coming from, it's a strange Mario Party game, and DRIVES the series in a weird direction. However, playing this, I had the most fun I'd had all series.
  2. Dec 26, 2012
    Yet another absolute insult from Nintendo to fans of videogames. Because the Wii is such a terrible system, I never touch mine, but I got stuck for what felt like 100 hours playing this worthless piece of crap at a friends house. How Nintendo continues to make money on this stuff is way beyond me. It is basically the same game as the first one, again, and yet manages to be even less fun. Nintendo, I am embarrassed to be a fan of an industry that you exist in. Expand
  3. Oct 22, 2013
    I remember seeing the trailer and i was so excited for this game but when it came out I was very disappointed. The minigames are still fun and the boss battles are very fun, but what makes me only give this game a 7 is the bus where every character has to stand in instead of everyone going independently on the board.
  4. Sep 1, 2013
    Mario Party 8 should've benefited from motion control, but instead it implemented it in lots of lousy ways, including minigames that required you to pump your arm up and down the fastest.
    Mario Party 9 gets the balance right- motion control is never vigorous, but used in interesting ways in minigames. Also, figuring 10 mario parties were a bit too many, Nintendo drastically changed the
    rules. Part of Mario Party 8's problem was that it was too similar to the other mario party games.
    In Party 9, all players travel in a vehicle alltogether along a one-way board. When someone gets a six, the vehicle- and all of the players- will move six spaces. Byt the space landed on will only affect the person who threw the dice. The aim is different too: instead of collecting stars using coins, mini stars dotted around the board in clumps of 2-10 are the prizes, and they are also the prizes for minigames- no coins in Mario Party 9. And the player who rolled the dice is the person who collects those mini stars when the vehicle passes through them. Once the vehicle reaches the end of the board, a boss is fought, and the person who dealt the most hits wins mini satrs. This change in formula makes Mario Party 9 feel radically different from the rest of the mario partys. It's also what changed my scores for this game from a 5 to a 7. Each party board has a different theme and several twists that make it different and enjoyable. There is chance in Party 9, but it rarely angers because there's more strategy on the boards with the new formula, and the minigames are great skilful fun too. That said, there was the odd chance minigame, which was annoying. The boards really get the balance though, so no-one is unfairly treated.
    The minigames are great fun, but many don't use the motion sensing, which was unusual. But not using it at all is better than abusing it like in Mario Party 8.
    Though Mario Party 9 is awesome with friends, the same can't be said for single player. Solo (story) mode is actually, unusually, fun however, so single play isn't as bad as in Party 8.
    Additional to the main games, there are special minigame challenges that combine minigames with extra strategy. I found most of these to be quite lame apart from choice challenge.
    Mario Party 9 is great with friends, an 8/10 for that. But single player included, it's not AS good. Still, with company, this is a must-have party game.
  5. Feb 24, 2014
    I don't get it, Mario Party 9 just butchered the series, why did Nintendo do this? I love Nintendo to death, but this isn't acceptable. They watered the entire game down and made it playable for two-year-olds, and probably only enjoyable for two-year-olds. Any avid fan of Mario Party would question why they got rid of moving freely, a non-linear board (or a board at all), items, good minigames, stars actually meaning something, and strategy altogether. The game is like 10 minutes long now, and there is no variation in the path you can take, beside going left or right. Items come down to a couple dice blocks that just change how far you move. Remember back to Mario Party 3? There were at least 15 normal items, and then about 10 more rare ones, they added diversity to the game and strategy, they did cool things and were fun to use and buy. In MP9 the biggest decision you have to make is "Should I go left or right?" or "Should I move 1-3 spaces, 1-6, or 4-6?" It's so simple it's boring as hell. The minigames in the older Mario Parties were so much more creative and enjoyable, however, MP9's strongest point is probably the minigames, but that's not saying much. And stars, what the hell happened with those? Buying a "big" star actually meant something, now there's just micro-stars that can be thrown from player to player so fast you can literally go from a huge disadvantage to winning by a mile in the last turn. But all of these complaints are nothing compared to my last one: WHY, oh WHY do we have to move together in a car???? This is the reason the items are dumbed down so much, and this is the reason the star system is terrible, because you made us all move together! There's no freedom, there's no variation. You can't use a Poison Mushroom on someone else if you're all moving together. You can't get to the star on your own if everyone's attached to you! EVERY GAME plays out the exact same way as the last, because you simply go in a straight line. Oh, and why no minigames at the end of every turn?

This game is just so frustratingly stupid that it seriously angers me to see people rate it so high just because it's a Nintendo game. Big companies **** up, guys, and Nintendo did. You don't have to pretend it's a good game because you're a loyal fan, a loyal fan would tell them they ****ed up so they don't do it again. If you think MP9 is good then you've never played any of the other Mario Parties (or you've only played 8, which isn't that great either).

I guess the only pros I can give it is it's charming graphics, and somewhat-decent minigames. I see what they were going for, I really do, but they shouldn't have been going for it in the first place. If they wanted to do something like this they should've started a different series, instead of butchering Mario Party. I really, REALLY want to like this game, and I've really tried to find something good in it, but at the end of the day I'm still asking the question: "Why Nintendo? Why did you do this?" I'm honestly baffled, and I'm not sure if they've released a statement on it, but it looks like this game has a good enough rating (SOMEHOW) to not raise too much attention for them to care enough. But if they did, I would love to see their explanation for this.
  6. Apr 15, 2012
    Well... it's Mario Party. The last Mario Party I player was the original on the N64 so coming at it from that standpoint it's fairly different in terms of mechanics but the experience is more or less the same. It's a good party game and a good game to make fun of as you play it, or for little kids who don't care about the inherent absurdity of the Mario universe. If you are in the mood for Mario Party, then this is a thing for purchasing and it is Mario Party so perhaps it should be purchased by you. Expand
  7. dz9
    Apr 10, 2012
    I am very lenient with this title, I know that this game is on the wii and is intended for a family audience, but even on that meritt, this game presents serious flaws. But let's start with the good, the campaign is fun and challenging, mini games are a blast, the graphics in this game are flashy and polished, and the new take on the movements system is refreshing and good for the most part. It's so sad to see a genuinely fun game have such an obvious serious flaw! The huge problem in this title is that the game mechanics are so random and events range from over powering to over crippling. Too many times in this game, you will lose your well earned fortune because you uncontrollably lose half your stars due to one bad roll. Now... Mario party is known for these events but never before on this scale. Picture you have accumulated a nice fortune of 5 stars going into the end of the game on a previous MP title, but at the last minute you land on a space that takes away 4 stars and 100 coins. This is wayyyyyy to overpowering in a game based on chance, and doing this. Developers have robbed the nice mix of luck and strategy known in Mario Party and left it with nothing but luck. You could win every mini game and get good roles on every turn but that doesn't mean you will win not even by a long shot, cause in this title, you're always one Bowser Revolution away from losing no matter what. In the End: this is a great game for kids and I don't think they'll notice the randomness too much. But for adults like myself, as long as you don't play to win, you could have some fun times with this Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    The main reason Mario Party 9 plays a bit different to the other Mario Party games is because it was developed by the same team who gave us the most excellent Wii Party with Wii Remote Controller Black. In Party mode there are six exciting boards for you to play on which are Toad Road, Bob-omb Factory, Boo's Horror Castle, Blooper Beach, Magma Mine and Bowser Station. There are 80 new minigames for you to enjoy as your group work their way around the board on all different types of fun transport and some include great boss battles. You may travel together as team but you will be battle it out like enemies.
    The game starts off with 10 charcters for you play as which are Mario, Toad, Luigi, Koopa, Peach, Birdo, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi and Yoshi. When you complete the solo mode you are given Shy Guy and Kamek to play with as well.
    As you play Mario Party 9 you are given party points which you can use in the Museum to unlock DK's Jungle Ruins stage, new vehicles and stars in the sky of Nintendo characters etc.
    The Extras mode lets you play Shell Soccer in which you are split into two teams for up to four players. The first team to take out all seven of their opponents Goombas wins.
    Goomb Bowling plays a little like Wii Sports Bowling but you have to try and hit all the Goombas down which move from left to right.
    Castle Clearout plays a bit like Puzzle League (Nintendo DS) in that you need to connect six or more marbles of the same colour which clears a group and watch the fireworks go off!
    Perspective mode is for one player only in which you are given 10 different minigames to play but you need to win in order to move on.

Last of all there is the Minigames mode that has Freeplay in which you can play all the minigames as many times as you like.
    Step It Up is a race to the top of the steps by winning minigames.
    In Garden Battle you play minigames to determine the order in which players get plant blocks. The first player to fill his or her garden with plant blocks is the champion. Garden Battle is my six year old daughters favourite mode at the moment because she likes gardening. There is also Choice Challenge, High Roller, Time Attack and I have unlocked the cool Boss Rush Mode.
    Mario Party 9 is one of our families favourite games to play together alongside likes of Mario Kart Wii, Wii Party, Wii Sports Resort and Go Vacation.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    HOW did this game get a 6.3? this is like the 1000th one and they still keep making it thats retarded as hell i even won a game and i was like wtf? was i even doing
  10. Jun 4, 2012
    the lasting apeal to this game is very little with little reward. Not that many stages, mini games uninspired. etc. Not worth picking up unless for under $15
  11. Aug 26, 2012
    No Fun Allowd Mario edition.
  12. Mar 12, 2012
    I have played every single Mario Party game and this one did not dissapointed me, on the other hand it surprised me. This is the first time that the series has had a major change in its history and while personally i didnt wanted or felt like the series needed that change (since I am a big fan of the series), the change does bring some freshness into the game and so, excitement as to what there is to see and experience. In terms of this new concept it is actually very good and engrossing since it is full of action aswell as oportunities to change the face of the game. Theres always something to look foward to in the forms of bosses (2 per stage) as well as captain events. That is not to say that I feel like this is better than the original concept for the past 8 iterations, it is just different, but theres always things that i missed. For one, there are no turns anymore, so those expecting those classic (and so much fun) 2 hour 35 turns playthrougth, would not be able to get it as the stages have a decisive ending and most of them end at aproximately 40 minutes (which does leave hunger for one more playthrougth), secondly, is the whole strategy level with the coins and the items, those are gone too, in Mario Party 9 your only strategy are different dice blocks that roll specific numbers. Nostalgia is the biggest hit and critique for this game, alot of the fans would miss lots of what Mario Party resemble (i do aswell) but I can assure that once accepted, what this game presents is virtually the same type of fun that its predecessors provided, but with fresh new air. Give this game a chance, gather 4 people and discover it for yourself, it is a great laugth like it has always been and i would put it in terms of multiplayer rigth up there with Super Smash Bros Brawl and New Super Mario Bros Wii on the Wii. The Graphics have also seen a revamp, this is easily the best looking Mario Party game ever, and it is also a very pretty game on any standard. The sound is also very nice, there are some tracks better than others, but overall what it is best and most important is that it fits perfectly with what should be sound in a Mario Party game. Whats best of all is the minigames, I have played nearly the whole 80 that the package has to provide and I havnt seen a bad one! Most of them are really fun, and whats best is that they also require much more precision and skill than before on any other Mario Party game,(I feel) which is also a big plus since the minigames, now, have a bigger roll in the effects of the board gameplay. Couple that with tons of unlockable like 3 new cars for each stage as well as an unlockable dk stage , within others, and the game holds itself greatly to keep you interested. All I wanted was a new Mario Party game, and Nintendo finally delivered after (the long) 5 year wait, and while it was not what i expected or specifically wanted, this is VERY good and i am glad Mario Party is back, and that i can finally play with my friends and family after the true dissapointment that was Mario Party 8! Expand
  13. Oct 29, 2012
    Mario Party 9 was the best Mario Party from all its sequels. The minigames are fun to play all of them. Collecting Mini Stars are more fun than collecting coins to get a star. All you have to do is beat all Bowser's minions and be a winner at all minigames to be a superstar.
  14. May 9, 2014
    THIS GAME SUCKS!!! This is the WORST video game EVER! They took out stars and coins and replaced them with MINI STARS! The courses END instead of having a certain amount of turns! The minigames SUCK!!!!!!!
  15. Nov 14, 2013
    This game is fun. The best game out of all the Mario Party games, actually. Yes, I just said that. It has good graphics and mini games, unlike 8 (terrible minigames) and DS (terrible graphics) All in all, if you're looking for an MP game, this is the one you should try.
  16. Mar 24, 2012
    Mario Party 9 is...different, to say the least. But, it's a great game. I loved how everyone is in one car instead of on their own, because it allowed for full exploration of every board. As for the transition from stars and coins to just Mini-Stars, it's big, but it works, at least for me. It was always slightly boring in earlier games to just get a bunch of coins, slowly work your way over to a Star, rinse and repeat. It's fresh here, and the Captain Events and Boss Battles just make things more lively.

My complaints with the game are small. I thought minigames did not have enough significance, with the person in first getting only 4 more Mini-Stars than the person in last, and Hammer Bro's Battle Minigames barely affecting Mini-Star totals. Also, Boss Battles were, for the most part, rather easy. Almost none of the bosses were actively attacking the players, and ALL of the bosses barely affected the player's score when they did attack.

One more thing. Whereas minigames are underpowered, Bowser Spaces are OVERPOWERED. It's both funny and frustrating, as a bunch of Bowser Spaces appear at the end of every round with the power to change everything. He can take away half of your Mini-Stars right before the end of the game!

Overall, I loved Mario Party 9. It was just a blast to play, with plenty of new ideas.
  17. Mar 28, 2012
    This Game is better than the last installment. Mario Party 8 had me falling sleep while we play 4P. The Graphics are slightly polished compared to 8 also, its smooth to play. Loading times aren't too slow and the game is solid, Great addition to any collection... Just burn 8 when you get this.

BTW, this one isn't made by Hudson its made from a different company, so far so good.
  18. May 17, 2012
    Mario Party 9 doesn't disappoint. Its mini-games concentrate more on themselves rather than the gameplay which was the bad thing about the previous Mario Party. It makes the mini-games more fun. Also, I don't know why, I had more fun playing this with my friends than the previous one (not that the previous one was bad). The single-player story itself appears to make more sense, be more interesting and yeah... I'd say it's worth getting. Expand
  19. Apr 4, 2012
    it's new episode does not look very spectacular and plus it's a game for kids who do not know what to do, it sucks. Especially their ball game that is extremely nil. In addition you get tired quickly playing the game. For me it is no better than Mario sunshine.
  20. Apr 2, 2012
    Mario Party 9 is a amazing game. It has some of the best mini-games on the series since the N64 Era, and has pretty graphics. The music is good too. Is not perfect, through; there's only twelve characters, the Bowser Space can screw up the perfect game and there's the frustrating Story Mode. I give it a 8, because it's single-player mode, as in any Mario Party, is mediocre and average at most, but the multi-player makes up for it. The best Mario Party game since Mario Party 3. Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2014
    Mario Party 9 is a welcome entry to the series. It's not as great as the original Mario Party, but that doesn't mean it sucks or terrible. It has great and innovative new gameplay, great music, nice graphics, and addicting minigames that all adds up into this one good looking game. Don't listen to the haters and buy this game!
  22. Mar 11, 2012
    Having played every Mario party game made, I can safely say that finally - after some real stinkers (Yeah, I'm pointing right at your Mario party 8) - Nintendo has finally broken the chain with this near classic new take on Mario Party. While it's not perfect, this is as good as any Mario party game could be at this point in the series. The mini games do feel like a bit of a rehash on older versions of the game, but the fresh take on the boards and interactions will quickly make you forget. If you like Mario Party, pick it up. Expand
  23. Mar 11, 2012
    This game is amazing and it's very fun as you will experience hours of fun mini games, great multiplayer, challenging bosses, and an overall nice looking environment with great music. Overall this game gets a 9 and really is worth your money!
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    This is not your average Mario Party. Due to the fact that this one was develped by a different company, it has Alot of different twists to it (like you are all together on the same space). Overall, it is a great party game and a welcome edtion into the mario party franchise.
  25. Dec 12, 2013
    Be careful what you wish for because this is not no Mario party its lucky party. Why because you have no choice but just to go to one direction. Already displeasing alot of the fans. To make this worse no items a present other than dice blocks. Once again displeasing many fans. Even the events should displease some because one bad luck strike and it over. Most injurys lead to losing half of even all your mini stars. Also this game is also known for trolling because you can purposely lead your foes into many hazards. No question this game sucks with nothing to brag but amazing minigames and graphics. This game cared so much about it's minigame that it practically destroyed the game. Got one part need the board part. That's why I'm splitting the score in half. Expand
  26. Mar 18, 2012
    Wow! I am very impressed.I love the new game style. In a nut shell you and your opponent will travel together in a vehicle and go after whats called "Mini stars" and whoever has the most "Mini Stars" at the end of the round wins. There are many ways to obtain the stars such as randomly landing on space,mini games victories,and bonus stars giving at the end of the round. At the end of the round your final star count will resemble close to a basketball final score. For example last nights go at it had had a final score of 71 mini stars to 52. Which IMO is way better than 4 stars to 1 star that the older versions had. Gives you a chance for a last minute run or comeback.
    I can see if you are used to the old style turn based version this might upset you at first, but if you were one the unlucky peeps out here who had to endure the pitifull and painfull "Mario Party 8"you are more then ok with the changes. If it is really driving you crazy I would suggest picking up 4,5,6 for the gamecube for a couple bucks on ebay.
    Pros: better graphics,less frustrating,an option so you can play a round with just you and your friends(no computer opponents), strategic dice rolling decisions (you can use dice that go up to 6 or even as low as 1),motion plus minigames,after every round you earn party points so you can purchase unlockable, in the "extras" portion theres like 4 wii ware style games which are easy,fun,and addicting like castle crumblers which is sorta like bust a move/dr.mario hybrid, and gomba bowling which speaks for its self
    Cons: The mini-games are a tad confusing at first,the music can get annoying, no online but that comes as no suprise,if you were fan of the turn based versions this might take you aback at first,wish there were more characters and levels; only 10guys and 6 worlds seems a little light, has a feel of a wii u prototype at times(remember when the old nes games at the end of there run started looking like scaled down snes games?, hard to explain but some of you will know what i mean), terrible first player games but they all have that problem hence "party" you will need some friends over to fully enjoy, computer cheapness as usually, and random luck.

Overall I give this game a 9 on the fact that it can only be enjoyed with the company of others, and the sound track is annoying,everything else about the game is great.

hardcore fans of the turnbase style might rank it lower, but if your new to mario party you will probably enjoy this take on it better.
  27. NSM
    Jul 2, 2012
    Nintendo is back after a long absence with the Mario Party series! This time, they've changed the gameplay, having all players ride in a car and compete for the most mini stars, and avoiding mini ztars. Although some people might not like the change and prefer to old style, I think it is a great change. The character roster in the game is good, with great additions like Shy Guy and Koopa. Shy Guy and Magikoopa can be unlocked through Challenge Mode, where you must play against the computers and try to get the most mini stars back. The stages in this game are fun. One good one are Magma Mine which involves you running away from the rising lava levels in order to not lose mini stars. A new feature is boss battles. I personally love them, and they are really fun with friends. The best part of the game are the minigames. They are unforgettable, and actually feel "mario like" unlike some titles in the past *cough* Mario Party 8 *cough*. The Minigame Modes are the best of any, especially Choice Challenge. You won't be disappointed with Mario Party 9! Expand
  28. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WTF WHAT THE H3ll smdh a reeeaaallll dissapointment the people who like this game needs to get there heads examined this game is SUPPOSE to be a board game with coins and buying stars NOT riding a freaking car with your rivals thats just defeats the purpose of the game this sh!t should be called mario party mini game expedition not mario party 9 i mean the graphics are ok and all and some of the mini games are pretty up to date but y make the board game suck duck azz i mean the ony reason i wasted 50 flippen bucks was because i THOUGHT the BOARD GAME was gonna be better then the previous mario party board games shoot i know maio party 8 sucks like h3ll but at least it had a decent board game and at least you don't ride with your rivals other then that this is a real let down i bet if hudson made this at least it would probable have a decent board game FYI DON'T BUY THIS GAME IF YOU WANNA PLAY A BOARD GAME KEEP YOUR PREVIOUS MARIO PARTY GAMES Expand
  29. Dec 16, 2012
    It's not as good as the games from the previous series and some games are only about the luck factor. The Garden Minigame option is very cool one
  30. Apr 20, 2012
    Mario Party 9 is fun for all! I was fine with letting my five year old sister watch and even play. While not as innovative as its predecessor, Mario Party 9 leaves little to be desired. With 7 new boards and 80+ new minigames, you'll be amused for a good while.
  31. May 1, 2012
    This game has it all,good and funny boards,great minigames and the graphics are good also,the story is a little unoriginal but in general the game is great so much better than the dissapointed mario party 8,and in multiplayer is even better and funnier you will have so much fun playing alone or in multiplayer,and a lot of people think that the car idea is terrible but is not,is great i even think is better like that,totally worth its price so im giving 9 out of 10. Expand
  32. Sep 11, 2013
    Simply put, a watered down, simple, baby's first version of Mario Party. There is no board play or strategy, seeing as everyone moves together and the entire map is linear. And very few aspects of the game actually rely on any for of skill. The winner of most matches are determined by who had the best luck over the course of the match. Even the bonus stars have been changed from things such as coin star and mini game star to things such as who had the highest rolls, or who used the most special dice blocks. Just stick to playing the older mario parties, this one is a joke. Expand
  33. Dec 29, 2013
    I waited for this game a long time and it was worth, in my opinion this game is the best of all Mario Party games released so far It brought a way to play Mario Party very different to the one I was used to. The boards are so much fun, it has got many characters, including some new ones like the Koopa Troopa and Shy Guy, I love the characters, the graphics are excellent and the fact that the pass be mini-stars instead of coins and stars, however is sad that there is no mini games 2 vs. 2 games. Finally, this game is fabulous and worth spending money on this game, because for those who likes games of Mario Party like me, it is the best choice. Expand
  34. Apr 7, 2013
    Mario Party 9 is a refreshing twist on the formula the series is known for. Players travel on a vehicle together (adding a welcome element of strategy), and battle bosses toward a board's end. The 82 minigames are mostly great, but unfortunately games can still often come down to luck and some lousy motion controls let the game down, which can particularly make the 1P story mode a chore. Otherwise, the game provides a fantastic local multiplayer experience for people of all skill levels. Expand
  35. Mar 12, 2012
    As much as I was looking foward to play this game I was very displeased with it. You don't have control with the turns like in the previous games. Everyone moves at the same time which makes the game weird and shorter time wise. Boss battles were a bit different but not as challenging. Most were just about luck rather than skill. Pointless to unlock vehicles. Graphics were awesome but this game would've been a lot better if it followed the previous games. Mario party 8 is way better!!!! Not worth the $50 Expand
  36. Mar 28, 2012
    Great game, I am really happy of it and I'm waiting mario party 10 for wii u Great game, I am really happy of it and I'm waiting mario party 10 for wii u
  37. Jul 23, 2012
    Now, I love Mario Party... Ever since the first Mario Party. But Mario Party 9 just threw me WAY off. With the car function. I liked the old format seen in the previous eight games, ya know, get coins to collect the stars. Now it's all, weird...(?) You collect these new Mini Stars. http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/1/1c/Ministar.png/201px-Ministar.png (
  38. Oct 5, 2012
    Reason I like this Mario Party is because it is very suspenseful with how you can lose many Stars in one turn. Also there are many luck games which my friends and I love :)
  39. Aug 23, 2013
    This game was mediocre. The car is not a good feature, and I´m glad they tried something new, but it just didn´t work. The minigames are boring rehashes of old Mario Party games, with the only fun one being Hazard Hold. The animations and layout of the game is also very simelar to Wii Party. I sometimes play this game, but it´s not one of the golden Mario Party games out there. If you love Mario Party, then give it a try, if not, then I recommend Mario Party 5 for gamecube. Expand

1. May 23, 2012
    Mario Party 9 is unlike anything in the series before, although it seems familiar.
  2. Apr 30, 2012
    For those looking for the complete reinvention of the wheel will have to wait a bit longer. But Mario Party 9 has had enough tweaked in it to breathe some much-needed life back into the series.
    Nice party game is filled with large amounts of enjoyable mini-games – the only cons are the great dependency on luck and missing online multiplayer. [Apr 2012]