6.9

1. May 8, 2016
    While still enjoyable to play for a modern age, Mario Party 9 still suffers from the lack of real joy from the original Mario Party game that inspired this game and the entire franchise itself.
  2. Nov 3, 2016
    The minigames are phenomenal. The boards are creative. The story mode is decent and the gimmick...is...mediocre...well not everything can be perfect but why the change?
  3. May 30, 2016
    Good game for this genre . This is best Mario Party Game . This game has got awesome graphics for this genre and amazing bosses and mini-games . In Mario Party 9 funny play on 4 players . In this game can play for Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, Princess Peach and other . About Mario Party Game can't more talk . Good game for Mario Party and best game this genre .
  4. Jan 11, 2015
    In my opinion, Mario Party 9 is pretty underrated. It's not perfect, but it's not terrible either. Mario Party 9 proves to be a fun experience while it lasts.

The boards are cleverly designed with the first board (Toad Road) and the fifth board (Magma Mine) being my personal favorites. Boo's Horror Castle is an incredibly unnecessary difficulty spike, therefore being my least favorite board of the bunch. There are two bosses in each stage with each one being pretty unique. While some of them (like the Whomp) are entirely luck-based, they still are engaging and they all feel like you played a part in them.

The game's much more fun in multiplayer (then you usually have someone to blame for all of the things that go wrong) and this adds some much needed replay value. This also makes the wide variety of minigames more fun. The minigames themselves are extremely unique even if some of them are slightly confusing. I've played through all the minigames alone more than once!

The museum in the game is great if you want to unlock the secret board, listen to the game's decent music selection, or unlock constellations and new vehicles. I myself have personally never completed the constellations myself. I didn't really find them interesting. In Minigame Mode, you can play through all the minigames as previously mentioned but there's some other games to choose from. Step It Up is my personal favorite of the bunch. Everytime you win a minigame you go up a few stairs. Whoever gets to the top first wins. Most of the other ones I didn't care for with the exception of Boss Rush.

Overall, Mario Party 9 is a great family-friendly party game that has great replay value. The main fun will be found in the multiplayer and the minigames.
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    People call this "the worst Mario Party game" and I see where they're coming from, it's a strange Mario Party game, and DRIVES the series in a weird direction. However, playing this, I had the most fun I'd had all series.
  6. Feb 23, 2015
    This game is fun, and SO underrated! I like the story of Bowser stealing all the Ministars and Mario&his bro and friends set off on an adventure to stop Bowser. The music is great. The graphics are awesome; pure HD 1080. If you have a bro or a sis, this game is a great way to play with siblings instead of fighting all day. My bro fufufu and I enjoy it a lot. My Favourite board is MagmaThis game is fun, and SO underrated! I like the story of Bowser stealing all the Ministars and Mario&his bro and friends set off on an adventure to stop Bowser. The music is great. The graphics are awesome; pure HD 1080. If you have a bro or a sis, this game is a great way to play with siblings instead of fighting all day. My bro fufufu and I enjoy it a lot. My Favourite board is Magma Line. The boss battle is awesome. You should definitely pick this up. If you are a psy that don't like MP9 ,you are as silly as hell. Expand
  7. Oct 22, 2013
    I remember seeing the trailer and i was so excited for this game but when it came out I was very disappointed. The minigames are still fun and the boss battles are very fun, but what makes me only give this game a 7 is the bus where every character has to stand in instead of everyone going independently on the board.
  8. May 24, 2015
    Where to start... Okay, I'll start by saying this is one of my favorite Mario Parties and I've been a fan of the series since the very beginning. The new vehicle mechanic is genius and always shakes things up. The graphics are wonderful and the boards are lots of fun. Now I see many arguing about how this game is too luck based. I will agree to an extent and it's why I don't give this gameWhere to start... Okay, I'll start by saying this is one of my favorite Mario Parties and I've been a fan of the series since the very beginning. The new vehicle mechanic is genius and always shakes things up. The graphics are wonderful and the boards are lots of fun. Now I see many arguing about how this game is too luck based. I will agree to an extent and it's why I don't give this game a 10. It's mainly because of the final board on solo mode (it was very hard). The boss battles themselves were luck based which I think is not the best idea. Many of the other boss battles are skill based though. That's my only gripe. Now the complaints about no strategy anymore? That's a bad argument. There are lots of mini games in each board but the board itself plays a major role in who wins. Thoughtful planning and strategizing with your rolls is required to mess with other people since everyone moves together. All in all, my friends and I have had an absolute blast with this game and it's always a fun drinking game that we turn to. It's great for casual gamers and for drinking games as well. The boo mansion board is quite possibly my favorite board in all of the Mario party franchise. Sure some games are luck based and even some parts of the board but Mario Party has always been known for that. Strategy is still there. Don't let anyone make you think it's not. Expand
  9. Mar 17, 2015
    This is a great game. One of my favourite Mario Parties with 7 and 8. The graphics are just amazing. The gameplay is great. The minigames and bosses are awesome. The character selection is okay except that they took out so many. The boards are very good. Mario Party 9 is great and is worth getting. It's also SO underrated.
  10. Feb 24, 2014
    I don't get it, Mario Party 9 just butchered the series, why did Nintendo do this? I love Nintendo to death, but this isn't acceptable. They watered the entire game down and made it playable for two-year-olds, and probably only enjoyable for two-year-olds. Any avid fan of Mario Party would question why they got rid of moving freely, a non-linear board (or a board at all), items, goodI don't get it, Mario Party 9 just butchered the series, why did Nintendo do this? I love Nintendo to death, but this isn't acceptable. They watered the entire game down and made it playable for two-year-olds, and probably only enjoyable for two-year-olds. Any avid fan of Mario Party would question why they got rid of moving freely, a non-linear board (or a board at all), items, good minigames, stars actually meaning something, and strategy altogether. The game is like 10 minutes long now, and there is no variation in the path you can take, beside going left or right. Items come down to a couple dice blocks that just change how far you move. Remember back to Mario Party 3? There were at least 15 normal items, and then about 10 more rare ones, they added diversity to the game and strategy, they did cool things and were fun to use and buy. In MP9 the biggest decision you have to make is "Should I go left or right?" or "Should I move 1-3 spaces, 1-6, or 4-6?" It's so simple it's boring as hell. The minigames in the older Mario Parties were so much more creative and enjoyable, however, MP9's strongest point is probably the minigames, but that's not saying much. And stars, what the hell happened with those? Buying a "big" star actually meant something, now there's just micro-stars that can be thrown from player to player so fast you can literally go from a huge disadvantage to winning by a mile in the last turn. But all of these complaints are nothing compared to my last one: WHY, oh WHY do we have to move together in a car???? This is the reason the items are dumbed down so much, and this is the reason the star system is terrible, because you made us all move together! There's no freedom, there's no variation. You can't use a Poison Mushroom on someone else if you're all moving together. You can't get to the star on your own if everyone's attached to you! EVERY GAME plays out the exact same way as the last, because you simply go in a straight line. Oh, and why no minigames at the end of every turn?

This game is just so frustratingly stupid that it seriously angers me to see people rate it so high just because it's a Nintendo game. Big companies **** up, guys, and Nintendo did. You don't have to pretend it's a good game because you're a loyal fan, a loyal fan would tell them they ****ed up so they don't do it again. If you think MP9 is good then you've never played any of the other Mario Parties (or you've only played 8, which isn't that great either).

I guess the only pros I can give it is it's charming graphics, and somewhat-decent minigames. I see what they were going for, I really do, but they shouldn't have been going for it in the first place. If they wanted to do something like this they should've started a different series, instead of butchering Mario Party. I really, REALLY want to like this game, and I've really tried to find something good in it, but at the end of the day I'm still asking the question: "Why Nintendo? Why did you do this?" I'm honestly baffled, and I'm not sure if they've released a statement on it, but it looks like this game has a good enough rating (SOMEHOW) to not raise too much attention for them to care enough. But if they did, I would love to see their explanation for this.
  11. Mar 26, 2017
    This is bad. This is really bad. Riding in cars together takes away some of the direct competition of maneuvering the board independently, racing to get stars. Booooooo. When Mario Party comes to the Switch, it needs to be good again.
  12. Sep 1, 2013
    Mario Party 8 should've benefited from motion control, but instead it implemented it in lots of lousy ways, including minigames that required you to pump your arm up and down the fastest.
    Mario Party 9 gets the balance right- motion control is never vigorous, but used in interesting ways in minigames. Also, figuring 10 mario parties were a bit too many, Nintendo drastically changed the rules. Part of Mario Party 8's problem was that it was too similar to the other mario party games.
    In Party 9, all players travel in a vehicle alltogether along a one-way board. When someone gets a six, the vehicle- and all of the players- will move six spaces. Byt the space landed on will only affect the person who threw the dice. The aim is different too: instead of collecting stars using coins, mini stars dotted around the board in clumps of 2-10 are the prizes, and they are also the prizes for minigames- no coins in Mario Party 9. And the player who rolled the dice is the person who collects those mini stars when the vehicle passes through them. Once the vehicle reaches the end of the board, a boss is fought, and the person who dealt the most hits wins mini satrs. This change in formula makes Mario Party 9 feel radically different from the rest of the mario partys. It's also what changed my scores for this game from a 5 to a 7. Each party board has a different theme and several twists that make it different and enjoyable. There is chance in Party 9, but it rarely angers because there's more strategy on the boards with the new formula, and the minigames are great skilful fun too. That said, there was the odd chance minigame, which was annoying. The boards really get the balance though, so no-one is unfairly treated.
    The minigames are great fun, but many don't use the motion sensing, which was unusual. But not using it at all is better than abusing it like in Mario Party 8.
    Though Mario Party 9 is awesome with friends, the same can't be said for single player. Solo (story) mode is actually, unusually, fun however, so single play isn't as bad as in Party 8.
    Additional to the main games, there are special minigame challenges that combine minigames with extra strategy. I found most of these to be quite lame apart from choice challenge.
    Mario Party 9 is great with friends, an 8/10 for that. But single player included, it's not AS good. Still, with company, this is a must-have party game.
  13. Apr 15, 2012
    Well... it's Mario Party. The last Mario Party I player was the original on the N64 so coming at it from that standpoint it's fairly different in terms of mechanics but the experience is more or less the same. It's a good party game and a good game to make fun of as you play it, or for little kids who don't care about the inherent absurdity of the Mario universe. If you are in the mood forWell... it's Mario Party. The last Mario Party I player was the original on the N64 so coming at it from that standpoint it's fairly different in terms of mechanics but the experience is more or less the same. It's a good party game and a good game to make fun of as you play it, or for little kids who don't care about the inherent absurdity of the Mario universe. If you are in the mood for Mario Party, then this is a thing for purchasing and it is Mario Party so perhaps it should be purchased by you. Expand
  14. dz9
    Apr 10, 2012
    I am very lenient with this title, I know that this game is on the wii and is intended for a family audience, but even on that meritt, this game presents serious flaws. But let's start with the good, the campaign is fun and challenging, mini games are a blast, the graphics in this game are flashy and polished, and the new take on the movements system is refreshing and good for the mostI am very lenient with this title, I know that this game is on the wii and is intended for a family audience, but even on that meritt, this game presents serious flaws. But let's start with the good, the campaign is fun and challenging, mini games are a blast, the graphics in this game are flashy and polished, and the new take on the movements system is refreshing and good for the most part. It's so sad to see a genuinely fun game have such an obvious serious flaw! The huge problem in this title is that the game mechanics are so random and events range from over powering to over crippling. Too many times in this game, you will lose your well earned fortune because you uncontrollably lose half your stars due to one bad roll. Now... Mario party is known for these events but never before on this scale. Picture you have accumulated a nice fortune of 5 stars going into the end of the game on a previous MP title, but at the last minute you land on a space that takes away 4 stars and 100 coins. This is wayyyyyy to overpowering in a game based on chance, and doing this. Developers have robbed the nice mix of luck and strategy known in Mario Party and left it with nothing but luck. You could win every mini game and get good roles on every turn but that doesn't mean you will win not even by a long shot, cause in this title, you're always one Bowser Revolution away from losing no matter what. In the End: this is a great game for kids and I don't think they'll notice the randomness too much. But for adults like myself, as long as you don't play to win, you could have some fun times with this Expand
  15. Apr 24, 2013
    The main reason Mario Party 9 plays a bit different to the other Mario Party games is because it was developed by the same team who gave us the most excellent Wii Party with Wii Remote Controller Black. In Party mode there are six exciting boards for you to play on which are Toad Road, Bob-omb Factory, Boo's Horror Castle, Blooper Beach, Magma Mine and Bowser Station. There are 80 newThe main reason Mario Party 9 plays a bit different to the other Mario Party games is because it was developed by the same team who gave us the most excellent Wii Party with Wii Remote Controller Black. In Party mode there are six exciting boards for you to play on which are Toad Road, Bob-omb Factory, Boo's Horror Castle, Blooper Beach, Magma Mine and Bowser Station. There are 80 new minigames for you to enjoy as your group work their way around the board on all different types of fun transport and some include great boss battles. You may travel together as team but you will be battle it out like enemies.
    The game starts off with 10 charcters for you play as which are Mario, Toad, Luigi, Koopa, Peach, Birdo, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi and Yoshi. When you complete the solo mode you are given Shy Guy and Kamek to play with as well.
    As you play Mario Party 9 you are given party points which you can use in the Museum to unlock DK's Jungle Ruins stage, new vehicles and stars in the sky of Nintendo characters etc.
    The Extras mode lets you play Shell Soccer in which you are split into two teams for up to four players. The first team to take out all seven of their opponents Goombas wins.
    Goomb Bowling plays a little like Wii Sports Bowling but you have to try and hit all the Goombas down which move from left to right.
    Castle Clearout plays a bit like Puzzle League (Nintendo DS) in that you need to connect six or more marbles of the same colour which clears a group and watch the fireworks go off!
    Perspective mode is for one player only in which you are given 10 different minigames to play but you need to win in order to move on.

Last of all there is the Minigames mode that has Freeplay in which you can play all the minigames as many times as you like.
    Step It Up is a race to the top of the steps by winning minigames.
    In Garden Battle you play minigames to determine the order in which players get plant blocks. The first player to fill his or her garden with plant blocks is the champion. Garden Battle is my six year old daughters favourite mode at the moment because she likes gardening. There is also Choice Challenge, High Roller, Time Attack and I have unlocked the cool Boss Rush Mode.
    Mario Party 9 is one of our families favourite games to play together alongside likes of Mario Kart Wii, Wii Party, Wii Sports Resort and Go Vacation.
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    HOW did this game get a 6.3? this is like the 1000th one and they still keep making it thats retarded as hell i even won a game and i was like wtf? was i even doing
  17. Jun 4, 2012
    the lasting apeal to this game is very little with little reward. Not that many stages, mini games uninspired. etc. Not worth picking up unless for under $15
  18. Mar 12, 2012
    I have played every single Mario Party game and this one did not dissapointed me, on the other hand it surprised me. This is the first time that the series has had a major change in its history and while personally i didnt wanted or felt like the series needed that change (since I am a big fan of the series), the change does bring some freshness into the game and so, excitement as to whatI have played every single Mario Party game and this one did not dissapointed me, on the other hand it surprised me. This is the first time that the series has had a major change in its history and while personally i didnt wanted or felt like the series needed that change (since I am a big fan of the series), the change does bring some freshness into the game and so, excitement as to what there is to see and experience. In terms of this new concept it is actually very good and engrossing since it is full of action aswell as oportunities to change the face of the game. Theres always something to look foward to in the forms of bosses (2 per stage) as well as captain events. That is not to say that I feel like this is better than the original concept for the past 8 iterations, it is just different, but theres always things that i missed. For one, there are no turns anymore, so those expecting those classic (and so much fun) 2 hour 35 turns playthrougth, would not be able to get it as the stages have a decisive ending and most of them end at aproximately 40 minutes (which does leave hunger for one more playthrougth), secondly, is the whole strategy level with the coins and the items, those are gone too, in Mario Party 9 your only strategy are different dice blocks that roll specific numbers. Nostalgia is the biggest hit and critique for this game, alot of the fans would miss lots of what Mario Party resemble (i do aswell) but I can assure that once accepted, what this game presents is virtually the same type of fun that its predecessors provided, but with fresh new air. Give this game a chance, gather 4 people and discover it for yourself, it is a great laugth like it has always been and i would put it in terms of multiplayer rigth up there with Super Smash Bros Brawl and New Super Mario Bros Wii on the Wii. The Graphics have also seen a revamp, this is easily the best looking Mario Party game ever, and it is also a very pretty game on any standard. The sound is also very nice, there are some tracks better than others, but overall what it is best and most important is that it fits perfectly with what should be sound in a Mario Party game. Whats best of all is the minigames, I have played nearly the whole 80 that the package has to provide and I havnt seen a bad one! Most of them are really fun, and whats best is that they also require much more precision and skill than before on any other Mario Party game,(I feel) which is also a big plus since the minigames, now, have a bigger roll in the effects of the board gameplay. Couple that with tons of unlockable like 3 new cars for each stage as well as an unlockable dk stage , within others, and the game holds itself greatly to keep you interested. All I wanted was a new Mario Party game, and Nintendo finally delivered after (the long) 5 year wait, and while it was not what i expected or specifically wanted, this is VERY good and i am glad Mario Party is back, and that i can finally play with my friends and family after the true dissapointment that was Mario Party 8! Expand
  19. Oct 29, 2012
    Mario Party 9 was the best Mario Party from all its sequels. The minigames are fun to play all of them. Collecting Mini Stars are more fun than collecting coins to get a star. All you have to do is beat all Bowser's minions and be a winner at all minigames to be a superstar.
  20. Aug 26, 2012
    No Fun Allowd Mario edition.
  21. Aug 22, 2014
    mario party 9 is my favourite game in the series it changed the formula entirely it has the best minigames, boards and introduced my 2nd favourite mario character shy guy
  22. Oct 16, 2014
    Is Mario Party series coming to a end.This is the worst Mario Party game that i have ever played. EVER!!!
    The new concept looks nice, but most of the stages are boring to play on.I mean, This game is so easy to beat and the mini-games are so boring that the end result is an utter failure.They even took away chance time.
  23. May 9, 2014
    THIS GAME SUCKS!!! This is the WORST video game EVER! They took out stars and coins and replaced them with MINI STARS! The courses END instead of having a certain amount of turns! The minigames SUCK!!!!!!!
  24. Oct 28, 2016
    Even though this game has a lot of flaws, I think we can all agree that the worst part of Mario party 9... is that Luigi is in the background for the box art and isn't even on the box art for the Japanese version
  25. Nov 14, 2013
    This game is fun. The best game out of all the Mario Party games, actually. Yes, I just said that. It has good graphics and mini games, unlike 8 (terrible minigames) and DS (terrible graphics) All in all, if you're looking for an MP game, this is the one you should try.
  26. Mar 24, 2012
    Mario Party 9 is...different, to say the least. But, it's a great game. I loved how everyone is in one car instead of on their own, because it allowed for full exploration of every board. As for the transition from stars and coins to just Mini-Stars, it's big, but it works, at least for me. It was always slightly boring in earlier games to just get a bunch of coins, slowly work your wayMario Party 9 is...different, to say the least. But, it's a great game. I loved how everyone is in one car instead of on their own, because it allowed for full exploration of every board. As for the transition from stars and coins to just Mini-Stars, it's big, but it works, at least for me. It was always slightly boring in earlier games to just get a bunch of coins, slowly work your way over to a Star, rinse and repeat. It's fresh here, and the Captain Events and Boss Battles just make things more lively.

My complaints with the game are small. I thought minigames did not have enough significance, with the person in first getting only 4 more Mini-Stars than the person in last, and Hammer Bro's Battle Minigames barely affecting Mini-Star totals. Also, Boss Battles were, for the most part, rather easy. Almost none of the bosses were actively attacking the players, and ALL of the bosses barely affected the player's score when they did attack.

One more thing. Whereas minigames are underpowered, Bowser Spaces are OVERPOWERED. It's both funny and frustrating, as a bunch of Bowser Spaces appear at the end of every round with the power to change everything. He can take away half of your Mini-Stars right before the end of the game!

Overall, I loved Mario Party 9. It was just a blast to play, with plenty of new ideas.
  27. Feb 7, 2016
    Graphics arent evewything,but this game gets a 9 for fun minigames,and great boss fights.The tables are,FANTASTIC! this is one of the best party games you will play.
  28. Mar 28, 2012
    This Game is better than the last installment. Mario Party 8 had me falling sleep while we play 4P. The Graphics are slightly polished compared to 8 also, its smooth to play. Loading times aren't too slow and the game is solid, Great addition to any collection... Just burn 8 when you get this.

BTW, this one isn't made by Hudson its made from a different company, so far so good.
  29. May 17, 2012
    Mario Party 9 doesn't disappoint. Its mini-games concentrate more on themselves rather than the gameplay which was the bad thing about the previous Mario Party. It makes the mini-games more fun. Also, I don't know why, I had more fun playing this with my friends than the previous one (not that the previous one was bad). The single-player story itself appears to make more sense, be moreMario Party 9 doesn't disappoint. Its mini-games concentrate more on themselves rather than the gameplay which was the bad thing about the previous Mario Party. It makes the mini-games more fun. Also, I don't know why, I had more fun playing this with my friends than the previous one (not that the previous one was bad). The single-player story itself appears to make more sense, be more interesting and yeah... I'd say it's worth getting. Expand
  30. Apr 4, 2012
    it's new episode does not look very spectacular and plus it's a game for kids who do not know what to do, it sucks. Especially their ball game that is extremely nil. In addition you get tired quickly playing the game. For me it is no better than Mario sunshine.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2012
#2 Most Shared Wii Game of 2012

1. May 23, 2012
    Mario Party 9 is unlike anything in the series before, although it seems familiar.
  2. Apr 30, 2012
    For those looking for the complete reinvention of the wheel will have to wait a bit longer. But Mario Party 9 has had enough tweaked in it to breathe some much-needed life back into the series.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 25, 2012
    Nice party game is filled with large amounts of enjoyable mini-games – the only cons are the great dependency on luck and missing online multiplayer. [Apr 2012]