Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Wii

• Release Date: Nov 6, 2007
7.7

1. DivineStorm
    Jul 30, 2008
    At first I thought the game was pretty decent. Was I ever wrong! It's broken as hell!!!! The controls are AWFUL!!!!! like in the spear throwing event for example: When I was told to press the b button, I did and nothing happend?! WTF IS THAT?!! also the game has no fucking replay abilty!!!! On top of all this: IT IS BORING AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Dark343
    Dec 9, 2007
    M&S isn't that great. It's just a minigame collection (Surprise?) which features a decent amount of characters from Each series. Alot of people will recognize Daisy and Waluigi from previous Mario games. If you haven't heard of Blaze or Vector, nobody can blame you. As usual, each character has their own stats, such as Skill, speed, and Power.You can Also pick a mii you own M&S isn't that great. It's just a minigame collection (Surprise?) which features a decent amount of characters from Each series. Alot of people will recognize Daisy and Waluigi from previous Mario games. If you haven't heard of Blaze or Vector, nobody can blame you. As usual, each character has their own stats, such as Skill, speed, and Power.You can Also pick a mii you own with balaced stats overall. most of the events are flawed in one way or another. You can unlock bits of olympic trivia, but be prepared to play through a tedious mini-game. One line voice clips are reused in a crippling manner,making you want to rerach for the mute button. Overall, M&S isn't that fun of a game. It's worth a rent,but not an actual purchase. In fact, the pairing of mascots is it's biggest asset. Expand
  3. ChrisT
    Nov 29, 2008
    The game has a decent concept and has some fun events but the characters' reaction to losing is completely unacceptable. Anytime an athlete or anyone else loses a game, they should walk over and congratulate the winner instead of crying, pouting, pounding the ground or otherwise throwing a tantrum. I don't want my kids learning the poor sportsmanship displayed in this game.
  4. MOSH
    Oct 19, 2009
    Best Olympics Themed Video Game EVER. Best Mini-Games Ever Best Mario Sports Game since MKDD
  5. LuckyP.
    Jan 30, 2008
    Great game, very funny!!!!
  6. DrewFreethy
    Jun 10, 2008
    Needlessly complicated menu system makes it a little strange to set up games (there are a billion sub menus it's worse than windows) but when you get into it, it's good fun. You have to play it in a group though or you will find yourself getting bored very quickly, but as the Wii is a group console that won't be a problem.
  7. AlexR.
    Jul 24, 2008
    I personally really enjoy this game. C'mon what game outside Brawl do you see Sonic and Mario, not to meantion almost every recognizeable character from each party, competing against each other? Sure a few events can be difficult, but NO ONE ever said that the Olympics were easy! So why should this, being the closest most of us are ever going to be competing in the Olympics, be I personally really enjoy this game. C'mon what game outside Brawl do you see Sonic and Mario, not to meantion almost every recognizeable character from each party, competing against each other? Sure a few events can be difficult, but NO ONE ever said that the Olympics were easy! So why should this, being the closest most of us are ever going to be competing in the Olympics, be retarded down to simple platformer button pressing? In my oppinion, even if it involves than breaking a sweat on a few of them which to me is fine, I love all of the events even if the computer beats me!! So to sum it up- PROS: sixteen total playable characters + Mii's, events are great fun, great party game, gives some intersting/good education on the Olympics in the past and today some Wii titles where you can press random buttons or do random actions to win- in M&S you actually have to try to win at most events. CONS: Some events can be difficult at times (hey the real Olympics aren't easy either), the Wifi feature is only to update records on events (I was kind of hoping to actually face against people online). You have to play though random minigames to acess the Olympic trivia. Expand
  8. KyleH.
    Nov 21, 2007
    This game is world class, many people seem to think its poor but thats probably by those people who can't sit and have fun playing games with others. This game is a fab party game, definatly up there with Mario Party.
  9. LukeB.
    Jan 2, 2008
    I rated this game a 10 because it is super fun. It is one of my all-time favorite video games. My favorite is the javilin throw. I have the world record in that one!
  10. DarrenS.
    Jan 25, 2008
    You've got to be kidding me with some of these people slagging it off - obviously they have no sense of fun or sense of humour. The best thing that you can do is go and get yourself a copy of this and play away. Don't cry about one or two games being difficult to follow - just play, laugh and cry as your arms get soooo tired.
  11. FilazaferX
    Jan 3, 2008
    Simply put, this is the best olympic game ever made. I just don't understand why it got so many poor reviews. I have always loved this type of game and this one takes it to a whole new level. The controls are creative and change for every event. It works great. It is the only game I have rented first and then bought. If they ever bring this out with online play it would be a huge Simply put, this is the best olympic game ever made. I just don't understand why it got so many poor reviews. I have always loved this type of game and this one takes it to a whole new level. The controls are creative and change for every event. It works great. It is the only game I have rented first and then bought. If they ever bring this out with online play it would be a huge hit. That is the only thing it is lacking. Personally I love it and I enjoy competing in every single event. I hope they make a winter olympic version soon. Collapse
  12. Mick
    Jan 4, 2008
    A good game which goes to show that 85+% of games reviewers don't have friends other than those they meet online...with the continued popularity of the wii it is time these magazines and websites start to rid themselves of some of their critics or they'll quickly find themselves very out of touch with their readership.
  13. Bor
    Apr 5, 2008
    The Best Game!!!
  14. edwardoJ
    Aug 3, 2008
    It was fun for about 3 months, just get ssb brawl instead more features worth it
  15. KeithP
    Mar 30, 2009
    I like Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. It's a really fun game. I play it with my sister all the time. I knew they were going to create a game with both Mario and Sonic in it. I'm a fan of both Mario and Sonic. I would definitely recommend it.
  16. NikkiD.
    Nov 20, 2007
    This game is fantastic to play with mates!! Highly addictive and highly competitiv, use your remote and nunchuck to battle it out through loads of different olympic syle events such as 100m dash swimming, high jump, long jump and gymnastics! A must for all those competitive players!!
  17. BobbyB.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Great "Track & Fields like" game! I don't get why websites' reviews give such a low score to this game... I fully agree with the users' reviews from metacritic. The records managment is really good and it's nice to compete with your friends to get the highest records... Afterwards, go online and compare yourself with the worldwide results ! ;o) The only flaw I found in Great "Track & Fields like" game! I don't get why websites' reviews give such a low score to this game... I fully agree with the users' reviews from metacritic. The records managment is really good and it's nice to compete with your friends to get the highest records... Afterwards, go online and compare yourself with the worldwide results ! ;o) The only flaw I found in "Mario & Sonic" is that you don't win Cups (and advance in the game) while playing with more than 1 player at a time : you need to play solo if you want to unlock all the Cups. Anyway it's all good here. Don't hesitate to buy if you want a great party game or if you appreciate "Track & Fields like" games. Expand
  18. WilmaB.
    Dec 29, 2007
    THis is a really good game because you can actually break a sweat playing it. It isn't quite as fun with only one player though.
  19. ElliottW
    Dec 2, 2008
    Not bad. Its good fun at a party or in multiplayer, it gives you a good work out and it's great that you can play as both sonic and mario characters. Although this is a bit dissapointing that this is the first 'mario and sonic' game- and possibly even the only. If there is another 'mario and sonic' game, how about a platform? or maybe even a kart racer?
  20. LiamYates
    Feb 13, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic. Anyone who has played a Track and Field game before will know the fun this can bring, either solo, or (and especially) in a group.

Includes a range of events from 400m, to Trampolening, Archery, and Table Tennis.

It would get a perfect 10 from me, if it included online play; not just leaderboards.
  21. brittanicolbert
    May 4, 2008
    this was the first game i rented on my wii, it was the only game i knew i NEEDED after playing, my family and friends got together and talked trash, laughed, and smiled even though our arms were sore. all you could hear at our wii party was yelling on who could outrun who... who had the best throw and (awws when we sucked at skeet or the envious ooohs that were made when someone got a 10this was the first game i rented on my wii, it was the only game i knew i NEEDED after playing, my family and friends got together and talked trash, laughed, and smiled even though our arms were sore. all you could hear at our wii party was yelling on who could outrun who... who had the best throw and (awws when we sucked at skeet or the envious ooohs that were made when someone got a 10 on the trampoline. this is one game the whole family can enjoy. it takes you away from work, from the computer and away from just being a recluse. yea you might expect more but what game isn't great if it is not a workout! i just wished i was a guy and i could take my shirt off when i got hott! lmao! the game is top notch and vigorous but it is worth playing just for the memories of those who joined on the Beijing olympics 2008, mario and sonic style lol! Expand
  22. RobH.
    Nov 12, 2007
    So far the reviews, with the exception of IGN's, aren't very good and don't really do a good job indicating how fun this game is. Simply put, this is the best game of its kind since Wii Sports. The games are simple with just the right sprinkling of stratagy. The characters are fun to use, and it's fun to download the leader boards to see how your scores compare worldwide.
  23. BenihanaB.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great Party game!!! Much better than Wii sports just because of the variety. 100% better than wario ware. 4 players at once is a blast. Controls are easy, but still just challanging enough to make you want to play more. Have not yet seen the "button mashing and controller shaking" other critics have talked about. Only down side is online mode is for score posting only. Would of recieved a Great Party game!!! Much better than Wii sports just because of the variety. 100% better than wario ware. 4 players at once is a blast. Controls are easy, but still just challanging enough to make you want to play more. Have not yet seen the "button mashing and controller shaking" other critics have talked about. Only down side is online mode is for score posting only. Would of recieved a perfect 10 if it had an online vs. mode....Still can not stop playing this game all day/night. Oh yeah, you can even use favorite Mii's in Olympic competition. Expand
  24. MatP.
    Nov 24, 2007
    The game really shines in multiplayer but is still an addictive single player game, contrary to many of the poorer reviews I find the control work well and it
  25. ME!
    Dec 2, 2007
    This is a solid game. It's not fantastic or a mindblowing experience, but it's the best party game out there (I don't go in for pretending to play musical instruments). If you like Wii Sports (and if you don't, you should probably sell your Wii) you'll enjoy this game. Some of the games suck, but that's to be expected with 20 to choose from. But most are fun. This is a solid game. It's not fantastic or a mindblowing experience, but it's the best party game out there (I don't go in for pretending to play musical instruments). If you like Wii Sports (and if you don't, you should probably sell your Wii) you'll enjoy this game. Some of the games suck, but that's to be expected with 20 to choose from. But most are fun. Really, this is a game you buy to play with other people. If you're some guy who doesn't have friends to play games with, this isn't the game for you. This is the next level of Wii Sports, and for Wii fans, that means it should be a must-have. Expand
  26. MichaelM
    Dec 14, 2008
    Decent, solid game, that shines during multiplayer play however repetetive controls stop this from bercoming great.
  27. AlejandroR.
    Nov 14, 2007
    This game is one of the best Wii games so far. The events in this game are fun and it never really gets old. I constantly am trying to get a gold medal in a circuit or trying to get a better rank worldwide. This game lets you see your score and how it compares to others worldwide, which I think increases the competition and the fun factor. I would recommend buying it, but if you're This game is one of the best Wii games so far. The events in this game are fun and it never really gets old. I constantly am trying to get a gold medal in a circuit or trying to get a better rank worldwide. This game lets you see your score and how it compares to others worldwide, which I think increases the competition and the fun factor. I would recommend buying it, but if you're not sure, just rent it and see for yourself. This game is also fun to play with others, such as family members and/or friends. Expand
  28. LeonaL.
    Nov 16, 2007
    We have over a dozen of the Wii games, 80% of them are new releases within the past three months. My kids, ages 9 and down, really enjoy this particular game and plays it every day since I've bought it a week ago. I've found the various challenges of the different circuits to be fairly realistic of the Olympic games. Graphics isn't too bad either, keeping in mind that it is We have over a dozen of the Wii games, 80% of them are new releases within the past three months. My kids, ages 9 and down, really enjoy this particular game and plays it every day since I've bought it a week ago. I've found the various challenges of the different circuits to be fairly realistic of the Olympic games. Graphics isn't too bad either, keeping in mind that it is a Wii platform and not something like the PS3. Of course, the interactive play is great for anyone and I think this game is certainly recommendable for children up to the early teens. Now my children are all excited about the upcoming Olympic games next summer! Expand
  29. JoeG.
    Nov 29, 2007
    An outstanding collection of olympic events, hugely fun to play in both single- and multiplayer. Practically worth it for the Archery alone, not to mention the excellent Dream events. Highly recommended.
  30. AndrewA.
    Dec 19, 2007
    The game is a ton of fun, especially with friends. There is plenty to unlock and earn to keep the game fresh for awhile. Being a distance runner, I would have liked to see the 1 mile run, but can't have it all. Controls are very good, though a few (only 1 or 2) of the events are too easy. Online rankings give it extra replay value. Must have.
  31. MarkM
    Sep 6, 2008
    Great idea but the game play was frustrating.
  32. MattM.
    Dec 20, 2007
    Not much fun. I can see how some people would like it, but I thought the games were boring and the controls were often tedious. Bottome line is this: It's less fun than Wii Sports and Wii Sports was free. Don't pay full price for it.
  33. Anonymous
    Aug 2, 2008
    A rather shallow and irritating mini-game collection of which the Wii is becoming unfortunately best known for. The controls are incredibly tiresome and gimmicky. Frantically waggling the remote and nunchuk really isn't fun and is only amusing amongst friends because of how ridiculous it is. Though funnily enough, for a game that aims squarely for the lowest common denominator, a lot A rather shallow and irritating mini-game collection of which the Wii is becoming unfortunately best known for. The controls are incredibly tiresome and gimmicky. Frantically waggling the remote and nunchuk really isn't fun and is only amusing amongst friends because of how ridiculous it is. Though funnily enough, for a game that aims squarely for the lowest common denominator, a lot of the events have surprisingly fiddly controls. One also has to feel a bit sorry for Sonic, as cool a character as he is, his supporting cast just can't compete with Mario's, so whereas Nintendo have more than enough popular characters to fill their side of the roster, SEGA have to include the obscure likes of Vector the Crocodile.... Basically this is a standard Track & Field game, but with silly button-mashing replaced with even siller remote-waggling. New gamers with low standards may enjoy it, everyone else will get very bored and very tired very quickly. Expand
  34. Jan 21, 2012
    Hah! It is hard to think of another game that is more boring than this one. Even when you are playing it, the game suggests between minigames that you should perhaps take a break and relax. While it does so for health reasons, I would gladly do it just because it is so plain stupid and frustrating.
  35. Sep 29, 2012
    It is okay. But it really got stood up by the sequel, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. I think it could've been improved a lot. Graphics needed work, too.
  36. Oct 22, 2013
    It is an interesting concept but it does get old, and while some of the events are fun others are too hard to control and end up being a pain to play.
  37. May 13, 2016
    Mario and Sonic is an average game at best. The graphics are nice and the environments bright, with four player options and quite a few mini games to choose from. There are several extra areas and, when the Wii was still online, worldwide ranking systems to allow you to compete around the world. Some of the events are genuinely entertaining, and you'll find yourself wanting to go back andMario and Sonic is an average game at best. The graphics are nice and the environments bright, with four player options and quite a few mini games to choose from. There are several extra areas and, when the Wii was still online, worldwide ranking systems to allow you to compete around the world. Some of the events are genuinely entertaining, and you'll find yourself wanting to go back and beat previous scores on a few of them.

But despite all of its colour and character, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games feels soulless. Some of the events drag on longer than they have any reason to, with controls often being clunky and unresponsive, while character animations and voices are kept to a minimum. Everything feels done to tick boxes, to remain completely safe, with little charm outside of the character designs to really keep you coming back for more.

If you take away the franchises that provide the glossy finish, Mario and Sonic is a bare bones, repetitive mini game experience. Occasionally the game shows some promise, particularly in dream events, but overall the games themselves are just too hit-and-miss, generally inconsistent and relatively lifeless. You'll find yourself bored after a few hours, feeling you've seen everything there is to see. While the concept of Mario and Sonic together in a game together has plenty of potential, it seems neither SEGA nor Nintendo are willing to tap into it.
  38. Nov 22, 2013
    This game was fun at first, but after awhile extremely boring. The sports were fun, also the characters but once you play it a lot, you don't feel the need too anymore. Def. not the best game for the Wii. The DS version of this game was better.
  39. Dec 30, 2014
    The presentation is great and the game is fun with friends, but Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games is a disappointment because of its exhausting controls and lack of single player support.
  40. Jul 19, 2015
    This game is must buy for all wii owners. The mini games are very fun and the dream events are great. It has a neat set of characters. I like that you can also play as a mii. The replay value is simply amazing and graphics are good for a wii game. Overall Awsome game
  41. Mar 5, 2017
    As a result of Michael Phelps' astounding eight gold medals at this year's Olympic Games, many adults (and thus likely a fair amount of children) have been glued to their television sets night after night, cheering for the United States (or country of choice) to win a medal.

Thus, if your children (or you yourself!) were swept away by Olympic fever, and you happen to own a Wii, then this game will entertain you to your wits end! Much like the U.S. competing against other countries in the real Games, this game pits classic Nintendo characters (Mario, DK, Peach, Link, etc.) against characters from the Sega brand (Sonic, Tails, Shadow, Eggman, etc.). Much like Super Smash Bros. "determines" who could beat up who, this game establishes victory based on athletic achievements in such events as swimming, track, and field.

The controls are easy to pick up, taking full advantage of the Wii nunchuk format, yet challenging enough to keep you raring to drop that last .10 of a second to win first place.

Overall, this is a great game for those who have caught Olympic fever, or just are intrigued by seeing the Nintendo and Sega franchises combine.
  42. May 28, 2017
    A very good start of this franchise , very good idea to introduce circuit mode because it's awesome to custom one of your own and it could have been even better to have online capabality. Anyway , it's still a fantastic game

#13 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#11 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

It only takes a few minutes of playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympics to understand that this isn't so much a game as it is a marketing tool to promote the upcoming 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
    For being a game that’s made up of simple gestures and “been there, done that” gameplay, Mario & Sonic is a huge surprise in its ability to still pull us in and really deliver pure, classic entertainment.
    The complexity in the competition's certainly a step up from "Wii Sports" and "Wii Play," but without the option to play how you want and when you want, this feels like just another souped-up minigame collection. It's enjoyable -- and to be honest, more fun than I expected -- but it's not quite the evolution of Wii Sports we've been looking for.