5.8

1. Jul 21, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is okay i guess, but! the camera is so bad like spider-man 2. i used to have the good one for the DS. it took me 23243432432434324232132321321343546788 years to get spider-man. but it was ok...... Expand
  2. Jun 2, 2017
    This game literally turned my kidneys into gummy bears. There’s nothing that can be done, my kidneys are a chewy, bear-shaped treat, and I can never get that back. You know what else I can’t get back? The time spent playing this game.
    Never before has any game felt so poorly created in the history of mankind. ET for the Atari 2600 looks like a wonderful piece of Mozart in comparison. I never even liked Mozart before playing this game, but anything seems wonderful compared to this piece of literal garbage. Actually, scratch that last part. Comparing this game to garbage is doing a huge disservice to actual garbage, even that stuff wouldn’t want to be seen next to this game.
    The camera, oh boy the camera! Have you ever tried to create a ship in a bottle? Pretty frustrating right? Now imagine someone is slapping you in the face and sticking pineapples in all of your orifices. That’s what trying to work this game’s camera is like. It’s like pineapple slapping ship bottles, there’s no other way to put it. It’s even worse in co-op, God bless the weary souls trying to enjoy this game with anyone else.
    I actually played this game with one of my friends, after 40 minutes we had begun to deteriorate into madness. Imagine two people yelling at their TV and screaming “The Silver Surfer rides at f#*&ing never!” Looking back on this incident I have no clear recollection of why this even occurred. That’s how maddeningly blinding this game can be to rational thought.
    Everything about the game is even worse when played on the hardest difficulty. The enemies get harder past the point of even being rational. Your attacks can do nothing as you’re instantly shredded up by ridiculous looking AIM Soldiers. Sometimes it seems like the AIM Soldiers don’t even want to play the game either. Five times in a row one AIM Soldier hid behind a box, making it even harder to finish the already insane first level.
    You know what else was insane? The character designs. Everyone looked like they’d been sculpted by a three year old who’d just spent his entire life staring at one face twisted into pure agony. I can’t describe the faces of the characters any other way. All of their faces look like Jim Carrey’s ‘The Mask’ had been subjected to 20 years of torture at the hands of some sick and sadistic movie executive wasting their entire life disturbed by the inner machinations of Satan’s darkest wet dreams, much like watching ‘Son Of The Mask.’
    The animation of the original show was quite good for it’s time, God only knows why they didn’t go with that for this show. Instead of the top notch animation of the show, this game employs slow, stop-motion like imagery. Everything feels clunky, and many animations happen with one frame, there’s no sense of fluidity in any part of this game, but the animations really highlight this problem.
    Much like many games created off of TV shows, this just feels like a cheap cash grab. Some overpaid tool with an executive position saw that Marvel was doing well with their TV show, and their only idea was to milk it dry of any potential profit without putting in any actual work. If a few years from now it came out that this game was made in a week by some monkey locked in a basement in some dingy California beach house, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit. Nothing about this game really speaks quality, nothing jumps out to imply work was done on it.
    Not that I believe the people developing had anything to do with this. Much like the X-Men movies this was most likely the result of executive meddling, people sticking in their old, wrinkly input where it doesn’t belong. Time wasn’t spent on this game, and it shows. The shriveled corpse of Tom Rothman couldn’t have done a better job at screwing up another project if he got career advice from Bill O’Reilly’s PR manager. That’s the real message of this game, people who have a financial stake in anything should never be allowed to say anything about the creative process, time and time again this has ruined so many things, mostly stuff with Wolverine in them. Just a reminder Hydra controls the US government and bees are being shoved out of airplanes to control the weather.
  3. Jan 24, 2016
    I was subjected to this game by my friends' 7-year old son. The game makes wanton use of comic sans, which tells you every thing you need to know, really. I so frequently found myself unable to control my character because of the awful camera you're provided with as player 2 that I had to dictate this review to my friend just to keep my brain occupied.
  4. michaelg
    Oct 20, 2009
    This game was highly anticipated by my son and I. We played for 2 hours and he turned to me and asked, "Daddy, why is this game so stupid?" I couldn't have put it better. A game aimed for the kids that is frustrating and filled with confusing levels and camera that feels like Stevie Wonder is operating it. 2 player co-op is unplayable! Don't buy this game.

#79 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2009
#10 Most Shared Wii Game of 2009

There are some serious downsides though, centered around a wonky camera (especially during two player co-op), some poor AI, and a general lack of hand-holding for younger players.
  2. By-the-book cartoon tie-in, which ticks every box on the list of obvious mistakes. Some of them twice.
    All that really matters here is if you like the idea of a very simple, kid-oriented brawler featuring cute versions of Marvel characters. The rest of the game falls in line adequately.