8.2

1. Jun 17, 2013
    The original NES Mega Man series, in my eyes, is still the best in the franchise. Before we got convoluted plots with unskippable cutscenes and too much wasted time, Mega Man was a simple series about unflinching action: shooting your way through engaging thematic side-scrolling stages, figuring out boss sequences, getting flashy new weapons.

Mega Man 9 is a glorious trip back to those

Mega Man 9 is a glorious trip back to those very same roots. Its greatest triumph, however, is how it manages to differ from the last NES title (Mega Man 6) and its tired design. For starters, stages are a lot more challenging, harkening back to the very first titles in the franchise. Secondly, the boss weapons are a home run, fusing usability with just the right amount of innovation. Using them in clever ways is most certainly not optional, and when you come across the first Wily's castle you'll run into a lot of specific problems that are only solvable with the right weapon.

The story also follows in the old games' footsteps, but it's taken to the next level. Even though it's very simplistic and easy to follow (as it should be in such a game, really), you'll end up even feeling sympathetic towards the boss enemies, who are literally fighting for their lives. It's a simple but nice twist in the old Wily-wants-to-take-over-the-world formula, and makes the experience even more memorable.

My only point of contention with the game is the fact that it chose to go back to the Mega Man 2 move configuration, eschewing the awesome Mega Man 3-introduced slide from the titular character's arsenal. Still, that's a very minor flaw in a game that's a veritable retro heaven.

If, like me, you lost hours on end trying to conquer the old NES Mega Man games back in the day, you owe it to yourself to get this one. If you're younger than that, and accostumed to newer games, it depends on whether you can dig the 8-bit feel. Rest assured, the gameplay is excellent and will not leave you wanting.
  2. Dec 9, 2011
    If you are a fan of the Mega Man series, you'll be amazed by this game. It is on par with 2 and 3 which are widely considered the best in the series. The stages, enemies, bosses, etc. are all very original and the difficulty level of this game is awesome. It's not as hard as everybody says. It's just the right difficulty where it's challenging, but it's not frustrating.
  3. Dec 7, 2014
    Good tunes(especially Magma Man and Tornado Man), great gameplay, nice enemies and a lot of fun level design...
    And great bosses, and they carried the spirit of the original NES games wonderfully well into a more modern megaman, and the weapons are good, and the enemies are varied and interesting, and I'm enjoying a lot of MM9...
    But the truth is that this MM is hard even for MM

But the truth is that this MM is hard even for MM standards. It's brutal and the worst is that the difficulty seldom comes from demanding level design.

It's more about the cheap shots. LOTS of cheap shots. Enemies that insta-kill you because you jumped over a pit and it came out of said pit and knockbacked you to your death, lots of insta-kill attacks like lava or large open chasms with tiny blocks to jump on with wind pushing you in a direction or the other, which along with knockbacking enemies makes a ton of very unpleasant deaths on your first attempts. And let's not forget the number of one-hit-kill spikes.

This is already bad, but the cherry on the **** cake of MM9 is simply the lack of checkpoints. If I'm correct there is only ONE checkpoint per level!
    I'm not sure how many there were in the other ones but I'm 100% certain that if I died at a difficult miniboss or a really rough passage over a bottomless pit, I wouldn't be kicked back to the beginning of the stage every time!

Actually I can safely say that over 90% of my deaths weren't due to enemies or loss of energy but by knockbacks and one-hit kills, except against the bosses.

My real gripe is that MM1 is considered a hard game by most yet I remember so little pain compared to how much bollocks MM9's difficulty can be.

As a whole 9 is certainly a good MM but the number of cheap shots and knockbacks I keep getting destroyed by is certainly getting on my nerves. I enjoy it but the amount of pain it gives me is a little too high to ignore.
  4. Mar 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is possibly the best in the series. Actually, it is the best in the series. The plot is that Mega Man's creator, Dr. Light, is framed and put in prison. Mega Man has to defeat the defective Robot Masters and clear his creator's name. But, [huge surprise here, do not continue if your heart can't take it] Dr. Wily is behind it. The controls are spot-on. Mega Man feels just like he should, with perfect running speed and jumping mechanics. The one problem is the removal of 2 key features: The charge shot (which is made up for with the weapons) and the slide. The removal of the slide affects mobility negatively. The Robot Masters are well-designed and have very fun levels. The weapons you get are even better. Every weapon has a use at some point, whether it is for mobility or attack. The Wily Level bosses are all well done and fun to fight, and never get too difficult to the point it's not fun. Over all, I recommend Mega Man 9 to every gamer with a Wii, 360 or PS3. Expand

Mega Man 9 is exactly what hardcore gamers were hoping it would be, as Capcom has come out of the gate with a game that's full of nostalgia and fan-service, but also one that truly does rival the best in the franchise's 8-bit roots.
    MM9 is an unapologetic nod to one of gaming's greatest eras. It might've been made especially for nostalgia-crazed dorks like me, but it's something that any challenge-seeking gamer can dig.
  3. Buy it, finish it, love it, because if this takes off we’re going to see a renaissance of new-old games. And if that happens, a whole new batch of gamers will grow up learning why rock-solid gameplay, not tera-flipping flop-bib shaders, make games truly exceptional.