6.6

1. Jan 27, 2011
    There have been so many mixed reviews of this game by critics fans and new players of this series that I had no idea what I would think of this game and now that I've played it I know my place and maybe can help others predict theirs based off of it. Enjoyment of this game depends on a couple of factors. For one YES, the story is garbage and the naration terrible, now here's the importantThere have been so many mixed reviews of this game by critics fans and new players of this series that I had no idea what I would think of this game and now that I've played it I know my place and maybe can help others predict theirs based off of it. Enjoyment of this game depends on a couple of factors. For one YES, the story is garbage and the naration terrible, now here's the important factor, this series hardly had a story to begin with, so as a fan are you able to ignor it? Iwas and if you take out the story factors such as samus being "authorized to power up" it's really no different than finding the powerups as you go along just like any other metroid game, in fact in some instances being unable to hit an enemy that you are locked in a room with and then suddenly being given a new beam mid fight that demolishes it with little to no effort is quite gratifying, that is why I look at it as a fan. If you are a fan of the classic metroid games on NES-GBA than you will probably like this game if you can get over the story. Otherwise you may fall in the other crowd if you're looking for a solid follow up to the more recent Prime series. Expand
  2. Sep 6, 2010
    Unwanted cutscenes, linearity, infantile dialogue, and finishing moves: just what the hallowed, (heretofore) unique, and highly successful Metroid franchise needed. If Team Ninja is hired on for another installment, I'm sure they'll also find a way to include an annoying pixie that follows you around and interrupts you every 2 or 3 minutes. Thankfully I can just forget this thing was everUnwanted cutscenes, linearity, infantile dialogue, and finishing moves: just what the hallowed, (heretofore) unique, and highly successful Metroid franchise needed. If Team Ninja is hired on for another installment, I'm sure they'll also find a way to include an annoying pixie that follows you around and interrupts you every 2 or 3 minutes. Thankfully I can just forget this thing was ever made and replay the other games of the series, which are all better than this by a longshot. Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2010
    As both a Metroid fan and a long time gamer I cannot begin to express how excellent this game is. Gorgeous graphics, compelling and well told story full of twists, Excellent exploration of Samus as a woman and a character and most importantly, fantastic Metroid gameplay with an ultra slick new presentation. An absolute must buy. It has to be seen to be believed.
  4. Aug 31, 2010
    I'm really confused at how this game got any negative reviews. The controls where a little hard to get used to at first but once I got the hang of them I thought that they really made sense. The game itself runs great the graphics are good for the wii and when I say that I mean really good! I was blown away at how good the game looked. I've been a fan ever sense super metroid and feel thisI'm really confused at how this game got any negative reviews. The controls where a little hard to get used to at first but once I got the hang of them I thought that they really made sense. The game itself runs great the graphics are good for the wii and when I say that I mean really good! I was blown away at how good the game looked. I've been a fan ever sense super metroid and feel this was a great sequel to it with great new up to date features like 3rd person and first person with similar features from super metroid like all of the awesome beams n suits and new features that make it much better like dodging attacks and combat moves. I would recommend this game to all metroid and adventure fans. 10/10 by far Expand
  5. Sep 1, 2010
    What is Metroid Other M? It's a whole lot of "meh". Being a guy who fell in love with the Prime series, I found the switch to Team Ninja to be confusing, especially since Retro Studios made some of the best titles on the entire Gamecube. I was sure not to get worked up over Other M and I can safely say that it's a good thing I stayed pessimistic.

Team Ninja thought that for some reason,

Team Ninja thought that for some reason, Other M should include a heavy story in it. Past Metroid games had very little story, just enough for you to know why you're there, and what story was there was delivered through a "Fallout 3" type of examination of logs and stuff. Now it's just spoon-fed to the audience in massive and frequent cutscenes that make it feel like a crappy anime (again, this is Team Ninja).

As for the gameplay, it feels awkward to hold the controller sideways like I'm playing a Mario game again. Num chuck worked for Prime, and it sounded pretty applicable here. As for the actual game, you go around shooting stuff that tries to kill you. Unfortunately there's an auto-targeting system here that tends to suck in every game. It thinks I want to shoot a tiny mouse over the purple tentacle monster that just knocked off 1/4 of my health. There's still the ability to look around in first-person mode for precision shooting, but I guess that deactivates the bottom half of the power suit because you can't move when looking through this.

Still, after all the crap I had to say, it's still at the very least playable, and that's not something a whole lot of games can do. Yeah, the story sucks and gameplay could've been better, but I still had some sort of urge to find out what I get to shoot next. In the end, Other M is okay, but it could've been brilliant. Can you hear me, Nintendo? Bring back Retro Studios and let Team Ninja go back to their cruddy Japanese games.
  6. Sep 2, 2010
    I like the third person element of the game and it works pretty well for the series, but the game has some fatal flaws. These flaws easily make this the worst of the Metroid series... but to be fair I've really enjoyed all of the games. Your hand is held for most of the game, except during the times when it's needed. The typical boss fight requires that you fail until you figure out theI like the third person element of the game and it works pretty well for the series, but the game has some fatal flaws. These flaws easily make this the worst of the Metroid series... but to be fair I've really enjoyed all of the games. Your hand is held for most of the game, except during the times when it's needed. The typical boss fight requires that you fail until you figure out the proper approach, and then it's just a tedious fight. Probably the most annoying feature is the first person element. Frequently you switch to first person to shoot something, or worse, you go to first person so you can scan an area for some little clue. Since you don't have any choice they might as well do it for you. Same goes for the parts of the game where you are forced to walk: Why not just automate things?

Well, now for some of the good parts... I actually find the story to be decent and I don't mind having to wait for equipment to be "authorized" for use. I mean, it makes more sense than some of the other games where you lose your powers because of some event. Sometimes though, this aspect can be annoying, but it's primarily a flaw in level design rather than the overall game design. Frequently you follow the arrow to your destination to find that you don't have what you need, so you backtrack and then you get the authorization... and of course your make your way back to that same spot to use your new tools.
    On the topic of story... Samus is given personality and it's different from the whole "lone wolf" that we've been led to believe. They've attempted to give Samus this sort of "motherly" personality. Which isn't so bad I guess, but it feels so different.

TLDR: The mechanics are all there, but the game just has some design flaws. I hope that Team Ninja continues to do Metroid games, but I hope they rethink some things.
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    Forget the story. Forget the voice acting, the drama, and the weakness of Samus. Forget it all, and what's left is a great game full of tight action and crazy boss battles.

However, the issue here is that it isn't easy to ignore the game's numerous short comings. For one thing, the voice acting is just bad. I know that Samus looks like a robot, but she shouldn't have to sound like a robot too. Samus is so monotone that it makes her constant inner monologue even worse to listen to.

The biggest issue I have with this game is that it is in no way a Metroid game. Other than the characters, it bears no resemblance. The whole point of Metroid games were to abandon a player on an Alien world, having to figure things out and piece the story together yourself. In Metroid Prime, you accomplished this by scanning your environment for story based clues such as lore. In Metroid: Other M, this aspect is nonexistent. The game doesn't let you figure things out yourself. Rather, it has Samus tell you exactly what's happening at every moment in her monotone voice.
    The game is full of other issues, such as the fact that there is literally no music except for during boss battles. That just plain sucks. I love Metroid music, and this game had close to none of it.

The gameplay, however, is excellent. It's a mix of fast paced actions with a 3D twist, building upon the great foundation of Super Metroid's gameplay. The graphics, too, are great.

If you can look passed the game's cruel departure from Metroid norms, what's left is a great action game. However, as far as Metroid games come, it disappoints.
  8. Feb 23, 2014
    Why Other M is secretly a good game.

Why Other M is secretly a good game.

I fell in love with Metroid and Samus with the original Metroid for the NES and have remained a faithful fan since. I was skeptical when Metroid went FPS with Prime, but when I played it, I thought the perspective was better than the side scroller! Since then, I LOVED FPS Metroid, and played all the Primes religiously, only going back to the sidescrollers for nostalgic reasons. Also, with the exception of Hunters and Corruption, Samus has been pretty much alone. So when Other M reverted back to sidescrolling with FPS elements, also including narration and cutscenes, I was skeptical. This was the moment where Samus will finally reveal her personality, to see what kind of person Samus really was. The results were, to say, disappointing...

...to everyone but me, it seems. For one, I LOVED Samus' personality. It showed that while she was strong and confident, she was still a woman. She was powerful, yet feminine, and I liked it. I also feel like the only one who truly understood the relationship between Adam and Samus. Everyone seemed to think she was seeking approval from an authoritative man. Being a military guy myself, I saw it as, while he WAS a father-figure to her, raising her as a child after the Chozo, he was also her commanding officer. When you have an officer who actually cares for their soldiers, you tend to have great respect for them. A truly great leader earns the respect and confidence of their soldiers, so much so that they would do anything for that officer, including taking a bullet. This is how Samus saw Adam; a great leader whom she would do anything for. The defiant act of disagreeing with everything he said was at first an act of defiance when she was young. However, that act because a symbol of their bond as the years went on. To Samus, Adam was a father, a leader, and a friend. So when Adam requested she not use certain aspects of her suit during missions, she begrudgingly agreed. Now, this could have been executed better, and for that, I'm docking points, but it was meant to show their relationship and Samus' immense respect for the man.

The voice acting was decent. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't horrible. The gameplay was also pretty good, though it was a bit stiff. Other than that, it felt like a classic Metroid game.

While Other M was not Game-of-the-Year worthy, it is still a solid game with a great story and fun gameplay. Definitely worth picking up.
  9. Aug 24, 2014
    Metroid: Other M is a flawed game that delivers in many ways but falters in other aspects.
    The controls and the switching to first and third perspective will take a few seconds to get used to because of how jarring it can be in the beginning but once the player gets a feel for it as understands how the combat flows the experience becomes very fluid. Dodging works well and is quite forgiving to allow for some leeway if the player is charged during first person mood to compensate for the loss in motion. The auto-targeting allows for third person to be painless and a cinematic with flashy finishers.

Story wise the game attempts to create a bridge in the Metroid timeline and also tries to create a definitive character for Samus Aran. The writer's success depends on how willing the player is in accepting certain changes presented as fact within Metroid: Other M. For some long-time fans, it might seem jarring and undesirable change. But to some fans and newcomers to the series, Metroid: Other M's motion towards creating a specific characterization for Samus allows for new ideas to be brought into the series and acts as a nice jumping point.

Other M has plenty of rough edges but on its own merits, this game is fun and an interesting look on a normally blank protagonist.
  10. Apr 29, 2013
    This is definitely an example of Nintendo and Team Ninja pooping on a classic and well-loved franchise. I don't really feel like completely rehashing what the professionals and amateurs have already complained about: yes, they turned our beloved Samus, the first "strong" female lead character in a video game, into a whiny. weak-willed princess. Yes, the gameplay was left something to beThis is definitely an example of Nintendo and Team Ninja pooping on a classic and well-loved franchise. I don't really feel like completely rehashing what the professionals and amateurs have already complained about: yes, they turned our beloved Samus, the first "strong" female lead character in a video game, into a whiny. weak-willed princess. Yes, the gameplay was left something to be desired. But at its core, the components of a Metroid game were there. It wasn't the worst game I ever played, and let's be honest there's not a whole lot of truly A-list titles on the Wii.

Is it worth playing? Absolutely. Will you be disappointed? If you're a real Metroid fan, probably. Should you pay retail for it? No way.
  11. May 15, 2014
    It's no Prime, but it's a lot better than people give it credit for. Honestly though, the game deserves praise for being a huge risk. It plays like literally no other game ever made. So it's not going to be for everyone. It has some things that genuinely don't make any sense and simultaneously throw away years of Metroid tradition (you get upgrades because a commanding officer "authorizes"It's no Prime, but it's a lot better than people give it credit for. Honestly though, the game deserves praise for being a huge risk. It plays like literally no other game ever made. So it's not going to be for everyone. It has some things that genuinely don't make any sense and simultaneously throw away years of Metroid tradition (you get upgrades because a commanding officer "authorizes" them? That doesn't make any sense. And it's super lame) but ultimately the game is at least good. Sure the story is a little befuddling, and it's not as good as any of the main prime games (in fact it's probably the weakest metroid since hunters) but it still has it's merits. Expand
  12. May 24, 2014
    That this game received negative reviews is proof positive that people believe having a contrary opinion makes them more interesting. The story line is amazing, much more than what I expected from a Metroid title and the gameplay is addictive. I usually don't like motion controlled games at all but switching between fps mode and 2.5d is done really well. The boss fights are amazing asThat this game received negative reviews is proof positive that people believe having a contrary opinion makes them more interesting. The story line is amazing, much more than what I expected from a Metroid title and the gameplay is addictive. I usually don't like motion controlled games at all but switching between fps mode and 2.5d is done really well. The boss fights are amazing as well. I haven't had this much fun since I played Super Metroid way back in the day! Expand
  13. Jul 18, 2014
    I don't understand the bad critics... This game have the best graphics on wii, have a new gameplay style, is fun, hard, and have a more serious history.
    Is very nice this game.
  14. Aug 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metroid: Other M in my opinion is an underrated game. It gets a lot of hate, and, a lot of it is admittedly justified, but a lot of criticisms I hear about it can be worked around.

Gameplay:
    Pros: I find the game style is generally pretty enjoyable. I love the fast paced 3rd person shooting action gameplay. I find it fun and addicting. I found using the sideways WiiMote worked fairly well for the most part. Even though auto aim is not usually part of the Metroid series, I find it fits in this game. I love the added combat features such as jumping on an enemy's back and firing a powerful beam into them. Morph ball was good, but hasn't changed much from previous Metroid games. And even though a lot of people didn't like this particular feature due to it being overpowered, I love Samus's dodge move. It makes the game more exciting and adds a different dimension to the gameplay.

Cons: When going into first person view, you can't move, you can only look around. Meaning when you're in the middle of a heated boss fight and you HAVE to use missiles, you CANNOT avoid their attacks which by the way, are extremely fast in a lot of instances. Grrrr. Also, they almost entirely took out the scan visor. You can only scan things that you need to destroy, and all it will do is tell you what weapon you need to destroy it. Also, you can scan other humans and it will tell you their name. You can't learn that much about your surroundings.

Weapons:
    Pros: They're all awesome to use. Stacking the weapon upgrades makes it easier with the limited controls so that you don't have to constantly switch between beams to get your objective done.

Cons: Adam Malcovich.

Story:
    Pros: This game is very story driven. A large portion of the Metroid fanbase do not like this aspect, but I love it. It gives me motivation to continue playing because I want to see what happens next. Stories interest me, I just enjoy it. Scanning a bunch of lore in the Prime games to discover hidden stories was cool, but sometimes I get lazy and don't feel like having my scan visor on at all times, so having the story explain itself without having to scan 100% of the game is good, at least for gamers like me. I thought the scene with Samus suffering from PTSD when she meets Ridley wasn't all that bad though. Despite defeating Ridley several times, she was under a lot of emotional stress after the death of the baby, and she knew for a FACT that Ridley had previously been eradicated for good, so it's not surprising to me that she was stunned by him being back from the dead (even though he was cloned).

Cons: Voice acting is not the worst, but at the same time not nearly as good as I think it could have been done. Samus's voice actor felt pretty dull in quite a few scenes. I love the idea of giving her a voice so that she's not this silent protagonist that has no personality while being robotic, but her voice actor didn't do the greatest job with bringing out her emotions. However, I don't think Samus was whiny like a lot of people say she was.

Environment:
    Pros: I like the idea of a ship with artificial environments made to suit specific lifeforms. The eerie feel of a giant space station with computers running everywhere and signs of previous human life that's completely deserted just awesome.

Cons: There's only 3 main elemental areas and a lot of the spaces in them look empty and bland, like the snowy areas.

I found the graphics mostly looked really nice, especially for a Nintendo Wii game.

All pros and cons said, I give this game an 8 out of 10. I really enjoyed playing and replaying this game, and playing the game re-sparked my love for the Metroid series and I am now working on collecting every game in the franchise.
  15. Sep 7, 2014
    tragus35 Hello to all, I'm a Metroid fan, since I played Super Metroid 15 years ago, since then played Gamecube Metroid Prime in 2004, GBA Zero Mission, GBA Metroid Fusion, and recently for a weekend Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. I stopped playing Metroid Prime after spending over a week finally getting the Wave Beam, in the Sheegoth area, and soon after going to a roof-top area and gettingtragus35 Hello to all, I'm a Metroid fan, since I played Super Metroid 15 years ago, since then played Gamecube Metroid Prime in 2004, GBA Zero Mission, GBA Metroid Fusion, and recently for a weekend Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. I stopped playing Metroid Prime after spending over a week finally getting the Wave Beam, in the Sheegoth area, and soon after going to a roof-top area and getting killed by Space Pirates each time. This game Metroid-Other M is my 2nd most Favourite Metroid after Super Metroid. The controls are fine, people forget the 2d shooting controls of Super Metroid, and the sequels, which connect to enemies automatically. It's great to see Samus sans armour at times, and more of her backstory. The space setting is excellent, with outstanding visuals, and many integrated movie elements included.The difficulty level is not unfair, even near the end with Queen Metroid. I've finished the game twice, and will continue to play it, to discover more. To my mind it is a "hidden gem" in the Metroid universe. Expand
  16. Dec 14, 2014
    No entiendo porque tanto odio hacia esta entrega, diciendo que samus parece una chica debil a comparacion de las entregas anteriores.
    pero está historia se enfoca mas en el Manga que el continente americano nunca tuvo el placer de leer.
  17. Jan 9, 2015
    This game is a good game that has a few flaws, mainly presentation of Samus's character and the voice acting in general feels choppy and poorly put together. The game play is the best part of the game if feels like a Metroid 2D game turned into a 3D game. The first person elements in the game are a bit odd to me but it does bring in the element of Metroid prime of looking around.
  18. Aug 1, 2013
    Combat is shallow, "cinematic" scenes of just holding forward on the control stick kill the pacing, controls are awkward thanks to the exclusion of the nunchuck, level design is linear, the cutscenes are unskippable first playthrough, dialogue is painfully bad... I'm really not sure what there is to like about this game. I suppose you might like it if you don't enjoy Metroid games, becauseCombat is shallow, "cinematic" scenes of just holding forward on the control stick kill the pacing, controls are awkward thanks to the exclusion of the nunchuck, level design is linear, the cutscenes are unskippable first playthrough, dialogue is painfully bad... I'm really not sure what there is to like about this game. I suppose you might like it if you don't enjoy Metroid games, because it's a terrible Metroid game, and I supposed you might like it if you don't enjoy action games, because it's a terrible action game.

I'm just disappointed a game like this came from the director who brought us Super Metroid. Super Metroid was fantastic because it didn't boss you around or hold your hand or shove fifteen minute long cutscenes in your face. You just had a big world and were free to explore it to find fun new powerups and boss fights. Where did that same sense of discovery go? There aren't any new interesting power-ups or bosses in Other M; it's just content to reuse series staples as if that gives it more nerd cred or something. It's not like there is much exploration either; level design is linear and many times doors will lock behind you to stop you from backtracking with new power-ups.

Even without comparing it to other Metroid games, Other M still fails. Its combat is laughably shallow. In 3rd person view, you just charge and shoot. Aiming is automatic. Whenever you see an attack, you mash the D-pad so Samus can do her invincible dodge move. It doesn't matter which direction you dodge, you're invincible for the whole animation. Sometimes, the game will have you move to first-person to shoot powerful missiles, but the controls are clunky and you're unable to move, making first-person aiming a chore. Then there are the quick-time events. It seems like every awful action game these days has them, and Other M's are pretty bad. They're incredibly showy execution scenes, but they make the player feel inadequate. It's not the player doing these actions; all the player is doing is pressing the D-pad once. There is about as much connection between the player's controls and the actions on screen as there are watching a Transformers movie. About the only neat thing in combat is the overblast, an attack you can use on some enemies by jumping on them with a charged shot. It feels much more natural and I'd like to see it return in future Metroid games.

So many games this past generation have lost their expansive worlds, forcing you down hallways from cinematic set piece to cut scene to cinematic set piece. They have lost their interesting and unique gameplay, becoming a homogenous mass of quick-time events and auto-aim. They feel more like amusement park rides than games; you're not there to play, you're there to watch. Other M is not some ambitious, misunderstood work of fiction; it's just another stupid modern game with all of the worst things about stupid modern games.

If you want a fun action game, go play Devil May Cry 3 or the Xbox Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta or virtually anything else. If you want a fun Metroid game, go play Metroid Prime or Super Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission. Just skip Other M. It doesn't deserve your time.
  19. Jan 4, 2014
    I was as excited as any other Metroid fan for Other M. The reveal was exciting and I preordered the game as soon as it became available.

Then... I played it. Long story short, play it for the gameplay. Do NOT play it for the story. That part is awful. More details below. STORY Let me start by saying I had no issue with the idea of Samus speaking. I also was extremely excited to

Then... I played it.

STORY
    Let me start by saying I had no issue with the idea of Samus speaking. I also was extremely excited to get to know the woman behind the visor and see a bit more of her emotional side.
    That out of the way, the story is the main reason why I don't like Other M. To avoid spoilers I won't go into details about the exact parts of the story are so bad, but if you want to read, what is in my opinion, the greatest review of Other M's story on the net, then visit:
    The article explains why the story is written poorly by giving examples of the tropes and story no-nos used and explains how the infamous Ridley scene is damaging to Samus' character in ways you may not have thought of.
    From what I've seen, most people who are fans of the series and enjoy this game's story are defending it because they believe an attack on this game is an attack on the franchise. If this is you, please read the link I posted above.

GAMEPLAY
    As far as gameplay goes, the third person isn't terrible. The dodge jump move was visually powerful and a nice change to just running around, but it definitely took challenge away from the adventure once you mastered it. The first person sequences were bad. Having to flip between 3rd and 1st person was disorienting and left me scrambling to fire a missile where it needed to go. The search-and-find sequences were particularly awful. They were unnecessary and had you looking for some obscure object in the environment.

LEVEL DESIGN
    A bit linear compared to the other games in the series, but it's something I was able to take as is.

MUSIC
    Awful. Uninteresting, unmemorable... Not what I expect out of a Metroid game given that every other title in the series has fan favorites that they enjoy listening to and possibly remixing. There will be no fan remixes of this game.

GRAPHICS
    Very good. The cutscenes were gorgeous and the in-game engine was visually pretty.
  20. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is abysmal. Literally the worst story of any video game I've ever played, almost no music, and absolutely horrid gameplay all combine to make a giant turd of a game. Avoid avoid avoid. Horrible.
  21. Feb 3, 2014
    The worst Nintendo game I have ever purchased. This is an absolute stain on the Metroid franchise. In fact, I'd rather Nintendo just retire Samus than try again if THIS abomination is their idea of a Metroid game.

There is no sense of exploration, no sense of being alone versus the environment, no satisfaction of finding upgrades. All that remains is bad cutscenes that make Samus out to be an emotional teenager.
  22. Nov 25, 2010
    Other M is a fine action game. Unfortunately, gamers expect more from this revered series. The game's biggest flaws lie in its poor characterization of Samus and the inexplicable lack of an option to use the Wii's nunchuk attachment.
  23. Jul 14, 2013
    First off let me tell you that I am a HUGE HUGE Metroid fan. The metroid franchise means so much to in every way and I have never even come close to love another franchise more. With that said this is possibly the worst metroid game ever created. For all of you who are avid metroid fans this is a mockery of all the games you have previously had the pleasure of playing. With theFirst off let me tell you that I am a HUGE HUGE Metroid fan. The metroid franchise means so much to in every way and I have never even come close to love another franchise more. With that said this is possibly the worst metroid game ever created. For all of you who are avid metroid fans this is a mockery of all the games you have previously had the pleasure of playing. With the introduction of the first person 3D adventure style introduced in metroid prime a lot of fans were enthralled and amazed by the progression of the series from side scrolling to first person. Many after ,metroid prime 3 was finished, wanted a new metroid that goes back to the old formula which, after super metroid and metroid fusion, was a formula that was both perfect and timeless. When I saw this game i was a bit let down because it took what i had become familiar with in prime and what i loved about super metroid and changed the formula. A year after release i got this game and i did not finish it till today. Whats my opinion? THIS IS ON E OF THE WORST GAMES I HAVE EVER PLAYED. The story is so cliche and filled with influences of Japanese mediums. It's gameplay is clunky and wholly inaccurate and insufferable. The animation, while not exactly bad, wasn't the hardcore realistic or menacing style of super metroid, fusion, or prime (half the time I laughed at the stupid faces these creatures made) The games story however was the worst part. Yoshio Sakamoto has been with metroid from the beginning seeing as he is the creator of the game. Sakamoto knows what we liked and what we loved of the previous entries in the world of metroid and instead of giving us a mysterious, strong willed samus, with a badass ethos he gave us a butchery of Italian horror films, with Japanese anime emotion, and a horrific gameplay experience. This review i am writing is so horribly put together but bare with me because i just finished this game and want to cry. It is the worst game ever, it isn't even bad to somebody who isn't a huge fan, but to me a fan who once a month beats his metroid games over and over because he loves them that much, this was just horrible. I hope this man knows what he has done. I hope he knows that he butchered a franchise that never got a score lower then 80 for there games and created a game that deserved a 30. I hope when retro works on the next iteration that he is nowhere to be found except in the credits for a thank you A thank you for staying the away from the game. Expand
  24. Aug 28, 2011
    First of all, this is highly recommended for fans of meaty adventure games or generally top-down shooters, as the Wii seems to be lacking them. The only reason it got such a low-ish score from me was becuase that it wasn't going to be the classic we were all expecting. It's still a good game, but it's let down by a un-interesting plot and cut-scenes, fiddly D-pad controls and poor shooterFirst of all, this is highly recommended for fans of meaty adventure games or generally top-down shooters, as the Wii seems to be lacking them. The only reason it got such a low-ish score from me was becuase that it wasn't going to be the classic we were all expecting. It's still a good game, but it's let down by a un-interesting plot and cut-scenes, fiddly D-pad controls and poor shooter sections. Basically, treat it as a meaty adventure with Metroid side-bits and references and you won't be disappointed. Fans of previous Metroid games may be. Expand
  25. Dec 18, 2012
    Short review: Metroid Other M is good for a rental or if you can score it for under 10$. It's short, linear, but can be quite fun if you could only skip the cutscenes.

Longer review Story: I keep wanting video game stories to really engross me, but usually I have low standards. If I'm interested enough to find out what happens next, we're good. Bonus points for good characters and

Longer review

Story: I keep wanting video game stories to really engross me, but usually I have low standards. If I'm interested enough to find out what happens next, we're good. Bonus points for good characters and a fun arc. Other M is offensively stupid in this aspect. I honestly feel a twinge of envy reading any review that praises the story or characters in this game. Clearly these people have an entire unexplored world of fantastic stories that to experience. What is "meh" level to the average person will be fantastic to them...they are strangely fortunate. It would not be so bad, if only the cutscenes are skippable...and they aren't...I've tried every button on the wiimote. I have difficulty putting into words why it's so terrible, however. I guess it must be that you have a story here that shoehorns in themes under the mistaken impression that, so long as a thematic element is present, it is well executed. There are themes of motherhood, female vulnerability, etc. that are indeed present, but the thick dialog and awful execution makes Samus end up looking like a wuss as well as a colossal moron.

Gameplay: The game is easy...and very very short. You'll most likely be fighting the controls with more furor than the enemies. Pointing at the screen will freeze you into place for an fps mode, and so the response lag will make for mouth frothing frustration as you point at the screen to aim your missiles without the ability to dodge. Otherwise, the gameplay is pretty okay...and I would be willing to forgive the abortion of a story (not to mention the clearly skewed view of women Team Ninja seems to have) if I could skip the cutscenes. Gameplay is 7 hours to finish...longer to get all the stuff. I did end up with 70% of the pickups with only 7 hours played, though, and the game is easy besides. The lack of buttons makes the game straightforward and simple, which I guess is okay.

The question of Samus: The words "Strong female protagonist" tend to annoy a lot of people. I guess it must be the lack of female developpers in the gaming industry. Could also be that any such character usually comes out trying so hard in a medium plagued with bad writing that it can be a bit off-putting. Samus had managed to avoid this problem in the most egalitarian (if not exactly eloquent) of ways: I'm a woman...that's about it. There was nothing strictly "female" or "male". Her sex was completely irrelevant, and she had no real personality to speak of anyway. That being said, we don't live in a 100% egalitarian society, and so there is a need for actual female characters with depth to fill the complete lack thereof in the entertainment industry in general. All this being said, Other M's Samus is not a good character for the feminist cause, anyway. Stupid, childish (not to mention freezing with fear in front of a monster who she kills on a regular basis), unsure, and constantly waiting on a the permission of a man for action (unintentional on the part of the developers I'm sure, but one can't help but notice...). Throw in the very, very bad writing, and you get a mess.
  26. Jul 7, 2014
    This game falls flat on its face in every aspect: The gameplay is shallow, boring and repetitive. The story completely degrades Samus as a character, contradicts previous games, just DROPS certain plotlines before they're even finished, and for the most part, it's just a rehash of Metroid fusion. The art style is weird and shiny, and does not fit the eerie atmosphere of Metroid. The sameThis game falls flat on its face in every aspect: The gameplay is shallow, boring and repetitive. The story completely degrades Samus as a character, contradicts previous games, just DROPS certain plotlines before they're even finished, and for the most part, it's just a rehash of Metroid fusion. The art style is weird and shiny, and does not fit the eerie atmosphere of Metroid. The same goes for the music, which just consists of cheesy action movie scores and some remixes. ALL the bosses and enemies are recycled, which may wet the pants of some fanboys, but I really couldn't appreciate the lack of creativity. Luckily, according to Nintendo, the next 3D Metroid will be Prime style, so that's a huge bloody relief. I REALLY don't get how ANYONE can like this game, ESPECIALLY not the fans of Super Metroid, since this game takes away any and all exploration in favour of cheesy finishers and constant flashes of Samus' bum. This is not just a bad Metroid game, it's a bad game overall, and I would recommend this game to absolutely nobody. Also, check out TheGamingBrit's review of this game, because he does a way better job at dissecting this pile of feces than I do. Expand
  27. Sep 12, 2010
    Metroid Other M is definitely a nice fresh take on the franchise in the 3-D realm that could have been excellent with a great story, if it had better controls and a more stand out design in its combat and level design. If you enjoyed the classic metroid games then you should try it out, but the best recommendation is to rent it first. This is due to the fact that its mistakes are not forMetroid Other M is definitely a nice fresh take on the franchise in the 3-D realm that could have been excellent with a great story, if it had better controls and a more stand out design in its combat and level design. If you enjoyed the classic metroid games then you should try it out, but the best recommendation is to rent it first. This is due to the fact that its mistakes are not for everyone, and is a game that one must play first and find out if it truly is a worthy experience of your kind. The game tries too hard in making things unforgettable and exciting that it pays less attention to other smaller details that could have truly made it the ultimate metroid experience. Expand
  28. Jan 30, 2011
    The third person controls are well done, it lets you just go out guns blazing without worrying too much about aiming, it feels natural. Some of the controls however, (such as the observation view) are not all too responsive, and when you sometimes have to use it during combat, issues may occur. The story feels regurgitated, consumed, then regurgitated yet again. If I hear the wordThe third person controls are well done, it lets you just go out guns blazing without worrying too much about aiming, it feels natural. Some of the controls however, (such as the observation view) are not all too responsive, and when you sometimes have to use it during combat, issues may occur. The story feels regurgitated, consumed, then regurgitated yet again. If I hear the word "baby" one more time in this game, I swear I will chuck my remote out the window. The quality of the graphics are excellent, especially the cutscenes, and thanks to the Wii, won't get to see quality better than 480p. Other M is really a good game, its worth your attention if you are a fan of Metroid or not, despite its flaws. I think I'll go back to playing the game the second I find my Wiimote in the snow. Expand
  29. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I get into the enormous can of worms that is this game's issues, let me talk about the positive aspects. The graphics generally look nice, a lot better than most Wii titles, and the action is suitably bombastic when intended. The finisher moves you get are satisfying as well as very cool and flashy.

Unfortunately, that's all I can say in this game's favor. While it is true that when the action is happening it's generally fun to watch, it's not very fun to play thanks to a frightening lack of variety in terms of both enemies and what Samus herself is able to do, and the fact that you have a dodge-roll technique called the "Sensemove" which utterly breaks the combat. It gives you a ludicrous amount of invincibility frames, nothing works against it, and if you're charging your beam while you do it it completely fills the charge. Beyond that, lulls in the action, rather than serving pacing like they would in a game such as Devil May Cry or Half-Life, instead just feel boring. Often they simply have you running from place to place, and when they don't feel that's putting you to sleep enough they go to an over-the-shoulder view and make you walk slowly with incredibly unintuitive controls. Even less intuitive than the rest of the game, which is pretty unintuitive, as the rest of the game asks you to navigate three dimensional environments at high speeds with a d-pad, relying on finnicky auto-aim to in order to hit enemies. The over-the-shoulder segments aren't even the worst flow-killer though. At times the game forces you into first-person mode and makes you look for a piece of scenery to scan in order to advance the plot. This was a good idea when Arkham Asylum did it because Batman is after all the world's greatest detective, and because that game handled it well, making it clear what you're looking for and still allowing you to move around the area. In Other M you are forced to remain still, searching for what is often a small innocuous-looking piece of scenery at best. Worse examples include scanning for the exit in the chamber where you fight Ridley, which is such a dark area when you're scanning it that you can barely see the exit, and finding Madeline standing in a window, so far away and with so much glare coming off said window that I, an avid gamer with 20/20 vision, was simply not able to see her. I went back and played the segment again, knowing where she was, and still couldn't to see her. Coming back to Ridley, this is kind of a sticking point: Samus should not have freaked out when she saw Ridley. I'm not saying they've tainted her badass persona or anything, and had it been handled differently I would have loved it. But there's no excuse for her to panic upon seeing the enemy that she has been established to have defeated around six times by this point according to series canon (yes, the adjusted canon that came with dropping the Prime games.) Beyond that, the way they brought Ridley in just didn't help the story at all. Apparently the Federation cloned him, as well as most of the other monsters in the game, despite the fact that they've watched the Space Pirates royally screw themselves by doing that many times in the past. Of course, the reason for this is that Nintendo and Team Ninja wanted to cram as many references to older games in as possible, hence the inclusion of the Metroid Queen, Nightmare, Phantoom, et cetera. It feels very much like fan pandering, as if the game is afraid to have its own identity and instead wants to cash in on nostalgia, which makes its decision to completely kick Metroidvania-style exploration in the head even stranger, and that was already a baffling choice considering that the Metroid series contributed the first half of the genre's name. Of course, you do still gain abilities over time, you just don't explore and look for them. Instead you have most of them from the start, but you're not allowed to use them until Adam Malkovich allows you to, in the poorest excuse for ability loss this series has ever had, which is saying something considering that even some of the best games in the series have had pretty weak excuses. This leads to a downright painful situation in which you move through the lava world, which does continuous damage due to the hot atmosphere, without protection because Malkovich didn't authorize it. Speaking of Malkovich, his death was incredibly flimsy. He locks himself in a section of the ship and jettisons it, blowing it up, because apparently nobody thought maybe you should make the function accessible from another part of the ship. There's also a baffling moment when you need to use power bombs to kill the Metroid Queen, but the game never says or even implies that you can use them. The final boss, right afterward, is even worse, as you don't even get to fight it. Instead you just lock onto it, and a cutscene activates. Tres anticlimactic. Overall the game was lazy and sloppy, and not worth playing. It's a disgrace to the series.
  30. Sep 9, 2010
    This game is real value, I've read some bad review on the game and feel sorry for the people who didn't find the greatness in this game. Those who compare this game to any other game is pointless, especially the Prime series. to fully appreciate this game you have to view it as a game that is a stand-alone as well as admiring the parts that are similar to to the other metroid games, thatThis game is real value, I've read some bad review on the game and feel sorry for the people who didn't find the greatness in this game. Those who compare this game to any other game is pointless, especially the Prime series. to fully appreciate this game you have to view it as a game that is a stand-alone as well as admiring the parts that are similar to to the other metroid games, that way you feel the nostalgia and appreciate and value the work of art this game is. It is different and those who see ti as a bad thing should go and only play what they already like only; or try and see why this difference is actually a good thing. For example, I enjoyed the Grapple beam in Super Metroid how you could control the swing even to do a whole circle, in Other M there is no control for this, much better than Prime though, but it allows for improvement in new Metroid games and adding more challenge as well. Because if you added everything exactly from Super Metroid you'd just have a remake. and if you added new things the game would be too easy, unless you added limitations, so limitations aren't bad. Thanks to limitations every game is challenging and that's why we enjoy them. If Super Metroid weren't made or the Prime series this game would be groundbreaking, so do yourself a favour and notice that if it is missing some things from other Metroid games, there are others that are new and this creates challenge aswell as leaving room for improvement. I love the sense move, dying in this game isn't easy but I dare anyone to say they didn't once. I enjoyed the exploration in previous Metroid games and this one has it too, however it is easier, and I see this as a good thing cause I remember searching every crevice that looked suspicious even in the slightest, only to be going over and over and over the same area, to the point where it was soo frustrating that I'd give up or look shamefully at a guide.

I find it amusing how some people criticize Samus as an emotional character, this is turning a robot into something more human, this is an advancement in the gaming world; and this is the story of Yoshio Sakamoto, if you don't like it write you own. But it's futile to critice it as it's not a story made so that everyone likes it (impossible anyways) but it's just how the story goes. After seeing the emotion in Samus when she saw Ridley, it added more emotion to the other games, seeing how she was actually feeling whenever he showed up adds to the whole story. In conclusion this game reminded of many things I loved about all the Metroid games, added features and emotions that actually improve all Metroid games; and the game actually continues after the game credits, this is a gamers dream! it definitely has replay value with Hard Mode and item searching. I hope that people see this and value games that have depth, beautiful design and innovative features so that more games like this can continue and evolve.
  31. Sep 5, 2010
    Despite breaking away from tradition, and my original scepticism at Team Ninja handling development, I found Other M to be a surprisingly enjoyable game, and a refreshing reboot for the series. It's by no means perfect-the scanning sections are atrocious-but the level and enemy designs are superb, and the visuals are some of the best on the console. It was certainly a brave experiment toDespite breaking away from tradition, and my original scepticism at Team Ninja handling development, I found Other M to be a surprisingly enjoyable game, and a refreshing reboot for the series. It's by no means perfect-the scanning sections are atrocious-but the level and enemy designs are superb, and the visuals are some of the best on the console. It was certainly a brave experiment to break away from the traditions set by both the 2D titles and the Prime series, but I'm happy to say it has paid off, despite it's flaws. Expand
  32. Sep 2, 2010
    I wanted to start off saying, just as many others have said, to ignore many of the low scores. I've read most of the publication reviews and have to say that most of the negative ones get hung up on minor issues that for some reason they can't get over.

Simply put, this game is what next generation platformers should be. The controls are great and the mix between third-person and first-person views makes for very dynamic battles. If your Wii Remote is setup properly with the sensor bar then you will have little issue switching between the two views in the middle of battle. Also, several others who gave the game negative reviews griped about how you can't dodge while in first-person view and that simply isn't true. You can dodge using the sensemove in first-person view and it tells how in the manual.

The gameplay is fantastic. It is such a fresh and original game style that is so much fun to play. Boss battles are epic and very cinematic. I am not a big fan of CG cinematic sequences as they tend to breakup gameplay and kill immersion. I am usually more in favor of ingame scripted movies (ala, Dragon Age/Mass Effect style). But the way that they blended the CG sequences with the in game graphics is beautiful and very well done and sometimes it happens so smoothly that you don't even take notice of it.

The graphics are top notch and goes to show you that with good visual and artistic design, you can overcome hardware limitations and produce a visually stunning game.
  33. Sep 10, 2010
    While Other M may have one or two glaring flaws, it is still a highly enjoyable game. I found that the 3rd person gameplay is a lot like Metal Gear Solid 2, especially with the 1st person perspective switch while being unable to move. I found this did not pose as a problem, as time slows down momentarily when you switch, meaning it can be used in the most heated of battles. Also, when youWhile Other M may have one or two glaring flaws, it is still a highly enjoyable game. I found that the 3rd person gameplay is a lot like Metal Gear Solid 2, especially with the 1st person perspective switch while being unable to move. I found this did not pose as a problem, as time slows down momentarily when you switch, meaning it can be used in the most heated of battles. Also, when you need to switch back to 3rd person to avoid an incoming attack, the dodge response is instantaneous, meaning 1st person viewing won't put you at more risk of attack. Team Ninja must have wanted the emphasis to be on 3rd person gaming, as Other M would have just become an over-simplified Prime game if they allowed 1st person movement. The game is a lot less predictable than the Prime games, with more unexpected boss battles and surprises in the middle of ordinary corridors. The niggles I found include the camera angle when running forward, into the screen. It is perfect for progressing but back-tracking in the other direction means you can barely see what's ahead. This is especially annoying when fighting fast-moving enemies, as it's very hard to keep track of them when on the far side of the room. The fact that upgrades need to be authorised makes sense but it just causes frustration. It's exactly the same concept as finding the upgrades yourself at a specific point in the game. But this time, some guy says when you can use it, conveniently, several times just after you needed it. The cutscenes are beautiful but the dialogue is a little amateur. Samus is portrayed well but her innocence and insecurity almost contradicts the style of character that we have seen in previous games. The sections where you are locked in 1st person view and must search for a clue are very annoying, considering that these objects are usually very small and inconspicuous. Since you can't progress until you find it, the game may as well just point out the clue for you automatically. It would have saved a lot of frustration. Overall, the game is extremely enjoyable, with a lot of action, some memorable boss fights and a great storyline. However, the flaws prevent it from being quite on par with either the Prime series or the 2D series. If you're a dedicated fan, you pretty much need it. If you're not much of a fan, it's worth a try. Expand
  34. Nov 29, 2010
    I think that some of the old Metroid fans need to unclench! A lot of the bad scores are from Prime fans that want the game to be exactly like it. Guess what people...it's years later. Of course this game will be different. But it's got everything a Metroid game should have, it just feels like itse a more recent game. I'm an old prime fan too, but I can see the need to change things up aI think that some of the old Metroid fans need to unclench! A lot of the bad scores are from Prime fans that want the game to be exactly like it. Guess what people...it's years later. Of course this game will be different. But it's got everything a Metroid game should have, it just feels like itse a more recent game. I'm an old prime fan too, but I can see the need to change things up a bit to keep a franchise fresh. They updated this just enough to be great, they didn't take away from what makes Metroid Metroid and they delivered a fun, solid title. Expand
  35. Dec 22, 2010
    When I first heard of Other M, I was excited that the next installment was coming out soon. But when my friend told me that the game only utilized the wiimote itself and not the nunchuck, the skeptical side of me took control and I began monitoring Other M's approach to release. When my friend got the game and once he finished (after unlocking Hard mode which is annoying as hell to unlock)When I first heard of Other M, I was excited that the next installment was coming out soon. But when my friend told me that the game only utilized the wiimote itself and not the nunchuck, the skeptical side of me took control and I began monitoring Other M's approach to release. When my friend got the game and once he finished (after unlocking Hard mode which is annoying as hell to unlock) he let me barrow it which I thought was pretty pro after letting me get a taste of the game. I watched all the cutscenes which allowed me to get an insight into the story behind Samus' past. The storytelling through cutscenes allowed me to get a feel of the relation between Samus and Adam that I found it very touching and heart-wrenching when Adam made his choice about Sector Zero. (go ahead and think of me as a wuss. I thought it was damn good.) My only gigantic complaints is against the forced first-person view to look for a specific objective which I'm glad to have memorized so I won't have to spend an hour looking for something microscopic or miniscule. The other complaint is being forced to look for everything to unlock Hard mode (which means finding 70 missile tanks, 16 energy parts, 6 accel charges, 5 energy tanks, and 3 E-recovery tanks.) and for some of the missile tanks were so confusing to obtain that I had to look up how to get them which shames me for doing that. I wanted to find everything with as little assistance as possible but that wasn't going to happen. This game, I believe, is the greatest Metroid game I've ever played and I hope that "Project M" will come together again and make more Metroid games because they did a very good job on making it. The combat was fluid, the cinematics unbelievably beautiful, and the graphics rival that of the Xbox 360! Project M, I tip my hat to all three parties involved in it and please make more games together! Collapse
  36. Dec 29, 2010
    Team Ninja has taken the Metroid series into new territory in what is undoubtedly one of the greatest titles we've seen hit the Wii platform in 2010. Although unoriginal, the storyline is solid enough and told through brilliantly animated CGI cutscenes, ala God of War I & II. The in-game graphics are beautiful, and the combat is fast-paced insanity. It would have been nice to have beenTeam Ninja has taken the Metroid series into new territory in what is undoubtedly one of the greatest titles we've seen hit the Wii platform in 2010. Although unoriginal, the storyline is solid enough and told through brilliantly animated CGI cutscenes, ala God of War I & II. The in-game graphics are beautiful, and the combat is fast-paced insanity. It would have been nice to have been able to play this with the classic controller somehow, but the Wiimote alone works fantastically. You'll witness the human side of Samus as she struggles to deal with her past and present through around roughly twenty hours of gameplay. Old fans are probably only upset with this game because it changes up the formula, and purists don't deal too well with change. It was amazing fun from start to finish and shined brand new perspective upon Samus and the Metroid universe. Definitely worth a spot in your collection. Expand
  37. Sep 1, 2010
    Ok lets get a few things straight: Is Other M perfect? No. Is it a great game well worth your money? resounding yes!!!! This is by far one of my favorite games this year along with Bayonetta. Its a fantastic action game with a pretty descent story that I found myself intrigued by. All the people that are hating on this game are probably the same people who hated on Ninja Gaiden for beingOk lets get a few things straight: Is Other M perfect? No. Is it a great game well worth your money? resounding yes!!!! This is by far one of my favorite games this year along with Bayonetta. Its a fantastic action game with a pretty descent story that I found myself intrigued by. All the people that are hating on this game are probably the same people who hated on Ninja Gaiden for being to hard. Im actually sick by some of the reviews of this game. "I hate the first person missiles" boo hoo. You know why you hate it because you suck at video games! I never once fought or fussed with the controls in this game. They responded superbly. Also, and before I say this let me say something first, the prime games have there place, but lets think about something. Did Prime, although a fun and very good game, did it ever actually feel like your were playing a metroid game? Here is why I say this. Think back to the 2D metroid games. Super Metroid for instance. Samus is quick and very agile. Now think back to prime its completely fist person she never flips, wall jumps, never really runs for that matter, she kind of controlled like a tank. Im not saying the controls were bad, but just think about what im saying for a minute. Other M on the other hand samus is in a 3D world and is fast, nimble and has all of her tricks and moves ready to go. So think about what im saying for a minute before you go and judge so harshly on Other M by saying oh this isnt metroid this isnt Samus, this isnt anything like Prime boo hoo. Well exactly this isnt Prime. This is Metroid, this is Samus, this is awesome!!!!!! Expand
  38. Sep 7, 2010
    i am loving it.. im about an hour into the game, the controls are perfects, i was worried the D-pad was gonna be busted but it wasn't i am enjoying the story so far but i think there is to much narration, sometimes i wish samus would shut the hell up and talk out of her mouth lol
  39. Sep 13, 2010
    I don't understand either, the amount of mixed reviews for this awesome game. Simply, the most fun I've had this year after the superb Super Mario Galaxy 2. As a longtime fan of the Metroid series, I recommend any fan play this game. It may not be perfect to you, and that is cool. But what it does right has been pretty impressive. I would rate it a 9.6 (and rounded up).
  40. Sep 2, 2010
    I'm sure MOM's release is a long time coming for many Metroid fans, such as myself.

The game starts off with an amazing recreation of the final encounter with Mother Brain at the climax of Super Metroid for the SNES. This scene right here really sets the stage for the quality of the game from here on out. In the beginning, there are a lot of cutscenes, which really slows down the beginning, but once you take in the story and head out into the Bottle Ship to explore, things start to move at a fantastic pace.

The gameplay is really incredible, as soon as the controller is in your hands it really feels like classic Metroid, but with all new twists. For example, to aim at enemies with your missile's, you must quickly aim your Wiimote at the screen and lock onto your enemy and fire away. It takes a moment to learn, but once you get it down, it's a really simple procedure. It's also possible to charge your beam before aiming at the screen for when you unlock super missiles, you just simply use the 2 button instead of the A button, so that makes the process even more painless for later in the game. Aside from the aiming there is also the dodge technique Samus has called SenseMove. It works like a dream, a quick dodge and Samus auto-locks onto the closest enemy. This also auto-locks you in first person, so you can quickly dodge and dive into Samus' visor for a clean shot. On top of all this, there's also the Overblast technique's, where you jump on your enemy's head and fire a charged shot straight into there head, and the Lethal Attacks, which are pretty self explanatory, but if you need to know there pretty much flashy finishing moves that are always awesome to watch. The only things that are annoying are the three or four points in the game where they make you walk in an over the shoulder view for whatever reason, and the "Find a clue" first person parts where you can't progress until you find the clue. For me, these parts only took five minutes at most, but apparently there are a lot of people having problems with it. There is also the concentration system, which removes the annoying "go back and forth to respawning enemy's and kill them to recharge your health and ammo" with a simple but effective system where you hold the Wii mote up and Samus recharges her health (when it's really low) and missiles naturally.

Exploring the Bottle Ship is a lot of fun, even though the game is linear, at the end of the day exploration is exploration, even if you know what direction you're going, everything you're seeing is still new to you (unless you're on a second playthrough of course). The areas are polished and easy on the eyes, and everything fits nicely. All in all, the gameplay is superb with tight controls and amazing attacks and power ups. Speaking of power ups, they finally decided to stop making Samus' suit bug out and lose all her power ups in the beginning (which really made her suit appear to have some faulty design, lets hope they stop with that for good), and instead replace it with an Authorization system. It makes a lot more sense to me, considering she's following the orders of someone else and not just doing her own thing, she figures out of respect instead of going buck-wild and blowing the entire place up with super missiles and power bombs, she would wait for proper confirmation, like a soldier should! Kudos for the brilliant work around that bothersome issue with these games.

The graphics are equally as impressive, Other M is probably one of the best looking Wii games made to date, which is perfectly normal coming from the graphic obsessed developer's at Team Ninja. Samus looks awesome, the monsters are really sweet too, especially a lot of the awesome throwback monsters from Super Metroid and earlier games. It's great to see them all new in 3D. The cinematic cutscenes are also top notch, some of the best FMV work I've seen in a long time. For graphics, this game definitely goes above and beyond, and delivers the goods.

The story is also very interesting, not quite the best I've ever seen in gaming, but definitely stands well on its own. Samus receives a distress signal from a Galactic Federation ship called the Bottle Ship. When she arrives she meets up with her former Commanding Officer, Adam Malkovich and his team. Samus decides to co-operate with Adam and his team due to their past history, so she follows orders from him and that's how the game progresses, similar to Metroid Fusion, just minus all that annoying text every time you hit a save room. Instead, you get a small gold dot on your map that shows you the next area to go to, kind of like in Zero Mission. Unlike earlier Metroid games and the Prime series, you won't be lost without a clue for hours on end, and thankfully can go through the game at your own pace and not get lost a lot.
  41. Sep 2, 2010
    I expected this game to be good. But it has honestly surpassed my expectations completely. I quite enjoyed the Prime series and didn't think Other M could "wow" me. Having played through about half of the game, it is absolutely a Metroid game in its own ballpark. Once you get a handle on the very unique control scheme, it's a hard game to put down. (Even more so than Prime was). It's aI expected this game to be good. But it has honestly surpassed my expectations completely. I quite enjoyed the Prime series and didn't think Other M could "wow" me. Having played through about half of the game, it is absolutely a Metroid game in its own ballpark. Once you get a handle on the very unique control scheme, it's a hard game to put down. (Even more so than Prime was). It's a must-buy in my opinion. Get it. Now. Expand
  42. Sep 1, 2010
    I'm addicted. i never got into the metroid prime games, i found them very confusing and id get lost to easily. The only real Metroid game i liked was fusion. That said, i really enjoy this game. It may be different from the other Metroid games but its nice having voice acting and its a very cinematic game. its a modern side-scrolling game and I'm enjoying it. I don't enjoy using a d-pad onI'm addicted. i never got into the metroid prime games, i found them very confusing and id get lost to easily. The only real Metroid game i liked was fusion. That said, i really enjoy this game. It may be different from the other Metroid games but its nice having voice acting and its a very cinematic game. its a modern side-scrolling game and I'm enjoying it. I don't enjoy using a d-pad on the wii-mote. much rather have a stick control, my thumb hurts a lot from holding that thing down.

the writing is eh at times, as is the voice acting, sometimes the level design is infuriating and the controls can be troublesome. its not a classic its no standard of gaming, but its solid, fun, entertaining, visually stimulating, long, and a new direction for Nintendo that may be beneficial
  43. Sep 2, 2010
    To me, Other M is a step in the right direction. The Prime series was good until it hit the Wii. Then I had to deal with muscle fatigue from pulling space pirate shields away. Going from 3rd to 1st person is really neat because you don't have to hit any buttons, and not having to use the nunchuk presents a wonderful simplicity to the controls. If you played Metroid Fusion, you get a bitTo me, Other M is a step in the right direction. The Prime series was good until it hit the Wii. Then I had to deal with muscle fatigue from pulling space pirate shields away. Going from 3rd to 1st person is really neat because you don't have to hit any buttons, and not having to use the nunchuk presents a wonderful simplicity to the controls. If you played Metroid Fusion, you get a bit more out of the story too. Moving Samus around the game world gives you a really great feel of movement that I haven't felt in a Metroid game since it was 2D. Expand
  44. Aug 31, 2010
    Widely underrated, this new gem in my Wii collection lives up to it's hype. Controls are not an issue after a bit of practice. Graphics, music are great. A bit of stale voice acting... but nevertheless intriguing. Do not overlook this game. Give it a try, it is worth it!
  45. Sep 1, 2010
    I have no idea why everyone is giving this game a bad rep. I absolutely love it! It feels like you're playing Super Metroid in 3D! I don't know how you can complain about that! I was so skeptical when I picked this game up. With all the bad reviews and people saying that it was the worst game of the year, I didn't know what to expect. Well, let me tell you, try this game out for yourselfI have no idea why everyone is giving this game a bad rep. I absolutely love it! It feels like you're playing Super Metroid in 3D! I don't know how you can complain about that! I was so skeptical when I picked this game up. With all the bad reviews and people saying that it was the worst game of the year, I didn't know what to expect. Well, let me tell you, try this game out for yourself before bashing it. Yeah, Samus has a voice. It's usually her talking to herself. BUT even with all the insecurities and "daddy issues", she still puts her most bad ass self as her exterior. I think that makes her even more of a bad ass in my book! The graphics are astounding for the Wii and if it was in HD, I would think that it could match some great 360 games for sure. The music is in mix with the old school and some new stuff. Can't complain about that. The controls are great. The 1rst person view has a bit of a learning curve to use properly, but once it hits, it's a blast! (Literally.) I just spent the last hour just moving Samus around, because her animation looks so good. (Yeah, I'm unemployed :( So sad.) The cut scenes could have been VERY annoying if the quality was poor, but c'mon! They really put their hearts in to this and that is what all great Nintendo games are about. You can tell that when Nintendo put things out, they put a lot of heart in their product. (Not the real organ.... that would be gross.) Team Ninja, I know the DOA games are a question mark when compare to some great fighting games, but I think they did the best they could. Give them another chance and the sequel might become the ultimate Metroid game. Buy it or rent it.. however you want to get access to the game. Coming from an unemployed fella like me, I don't see any other way I would want to spend my down time. Expand
  46. Sep 2, 2010
    A Great game! a wii must have, love the music, the boss battles, and the atmosphere. The controls were a little akward at first, but is easy to get used to. I dont get why so many people is rating this game bad, haters perhaps?
  47. Sep 2, 2010
    Not a bad game, but I felt it didn't match up with Team Ninja's stuff, and just fell in line with the rest of the metroids. The mechanics of the game work well, besides it changing view suddenly because you shifted postion. I don't love the auto-aim, although I don't know how else they could have done it. It does feel a whole lot like a metroid, and I must compliment Nintendo for tryingNot a bad game, but I felt it didn't match up with Team Ninja's stuff, and just fell in line with the rest of the metroids. The mechanics of the game work well, besides it changing view suddenly because you shifted postion. I don't love the auto-aim, although I don't know how else they could have done it. It does feel a whole lot like a metroid, and I must compliment Nintendo for trying something kind of new after all these years. The exploration is fairly limited. I often found it more convenient, to run past enemies, being that there is nothing gained from fighting in most cases. If you love metroid, you will probably enjoy this game to some degree. If you haven't cared much for metroid in the past, than this will probably fall in with the rest. Expand
  48. Sep 7, 2010
    Haters will hate is all I have to say about a majority of reviews I have seen. I started playing the game last night and couldn't get enough--played for a good 5 hours straight. Finally we know something about Samus other than that she is a bounty hunter. This is probably one of the more intriguing titles I've picked up in a while. While its a bit more linear than some of the MetroidHaters will hate is all I have to say about a majority of reviews I have seen. I started playing the game last night and couldn't get enough--played for a good 5 hours straight. Finally we know something about Samus other than that she is a bounty hunter. This is probably one of the more intriguing titles I've picked up in a while. While its a bit more linear than some of the Metroid games, its a warm welcome--some times in prime I would step a way for a few days and come back and be completely lost and have no idea where I needed to go. As for the many complaints about the way the controls are--well its quite similar to the older metroid games--you got shoot, jump, directional--as well as some innovative first person shooting--sometimes not responsive(generally because you are not pointing at the sensor bar) but other than that fairly flawless. Others also mentioned that the loss/gaining of samus powers is ludacris. To tell the truth, this is the one where it actually makes sense. Every other metroid game, you land and then lose your powers--or they disappear--you imply that you need to gain your powers back---theres really no reason why you shouldnt have all the powers...this makes sense because they are in with a military group on a federation space ship and they are allowing clearances for certain weapons/armor for required moments--this is explained and it makes sense. The action is fast paced and it definitely does a great job at making a 2.5D shooter fun, challenging as well as accessible. The only reason the controls seem cluncky for a bit is because you have never played like this--and I find this to be a great feeling---its like starting over to rethink the way I use a controller--Team Ninja and Nintendo did a great job at making the controls intuitive yet new and refreshing--and its a classic nintendo set up---what else could we ask for.

The levels are interesting--the graphics are incredible(for the Wii)--the transitions are fairly flawless---only a couple extremely short loading screens between major sections--the boss battles seem very reminiscent/nostolgic but also fresh with the implementation of 2.5D and 1st person shooting--(this game keeps your hands busy) As for those individuals that say the search/identifying is too much like pixel search--must be idiots--if you are looking for clues are you going to be looking for the ordinary...or the out of place items....i have no other comments--its really not that hard.

The cut scenes are well done and they really add to the experience and story of samus--a welcome addition--and the length is just fine with me--most of the time I was wanting more. There are some times when items are a bit difficult to find--and morph ball entrances can be some what difficult to find--generally for upgrades---but come on--how much more do you want Ninja and Ninty to hold your hand--it always gets me with people--they are super hypocritical--they want hand holding in some spots but not others.

Over all I give this game a 10 for a great new way/nostalgic way to play as Samus Aran---I would love to see another one like this--I would welcome it generously. Thank you Team Ninja and Nintendo for a great experience and you have created a new classic.
  49. Sep 12, 2010
    Metroid Other M stretches back to its roots and all in all it feels more like a Metroid game than Prime ever did. A look into Samus' past shows us that you don't need to be an emotionless robot to be fitted with a space suit, in fact it's refreshing to know the original space-suited lady actually has a lot of depth. Fans who haven't been paying attention, or the newer Prime/Halo fans whoMetroid Other M stretches back to its roots and all in all it feels more like a Metroid game than Prime ever did. A look into Samus' past shows us that you don't need to be an emotionless robot to be fitted with a space suit, in fact it's refreshing to know the original space-suited lady actually has a lot of depth. Fans who haven't been paying attention, or the newer Prime/Halo fans who simply can't bother with an actual backstory, might have missed this part of Samus' character in previous Metroid entries but for the true fans her characterization feels right at home. Even if the storytelling shoves it a bit too much in our faces because this is the first time we get her to talk.
    All in all, this game is more than fine, only hindered in the polls by people who cry "they changed it so it sucks!"
  50. Sep 7, 2010
    Metroid: Other M is simply the most underrated game of the year by far. I have to wonder if the negative reviews come from people who actually completed the game or even played it for more than 2 hours. The game only gets extraordinary after the 2 hour mark in my opinion.

The controls work perfectly, and any complaints about them are from people who just aren't good at gaming. Sorry but it's the truth. Yes, a nunchuk would have been nice as an optional control scheme, but the developers have stated they wanted the game to be as accessible as possible and they have succeeded at that. The switch between first- and third-person is almost instant, and after 30 minutes or so you should be comfortable with everything. As a hardcore gamer who actually owned the NES and SNES, this control scheme is fun and nostalgic.

Now, the gameplay; the most important thing in a game (WAY more important than story, the reason critics are rating this game poorly). It's classic Metroid fused with Metroid Prime and Ninja Gaiden. In other words, flashy and satisfying. The only problem I had with the gameplay is jumping on a creatures back sometimes - it's often hard to judge where exactly to jump on it. The pixel-hunting segments are a bit annoying too, but they last for 5 minutes at the most. And this is the age of the Internet where if you ever get stuck you can instantly get an answer and solve the "puzzle" in a minute. This is another case where people are over-exaggerating the game's flaws. Overall the gameplay is everything I hoped for from a Team Ninja Metroid game.

The graphics and sound. Anyone complaining about the graphics needs to get their eyes checked. Metroid: Other M is easily the best-looking "realistic" game on the Wii, and it puts some Xbox 360 games to shame as well (minus the resolution of course). The art might not be as good as Metroid Prime, but the creatures look creative and colorful (albeit scary), and the locations are varied and convincing. The textures aren't the perfect resolution, but considering Other M uses the full dual-layer disc, it's understandable. The sound on the other hand is the weakest part of the game. The effects are fine, but the music is boring and totally not memorable. It reminds me of a movie soundtrack to be honest, and movie soundtracks are far inferior to game soundtracks and don't belong in a game. There are some nice tunes, but overall the music should have been better. It's mostly atmospheric noise and strings.

And finally, the story. Before I begin let me just say WOW CAN YOU PEOPLE OVER EXAGGERATE. I went into this game expecting a Michael Bay-esque cringe-fest and what I got was a very interesting plot with twists and turns and emotional weight that was obviously written by a Japanese man. It's not as bad as anime, but not quite as good as a story-driven movie. Nonetheless, the claims of sexism are completely and utterly false and ridiculous. Not once is there anything sexist in the game, and you can thank G4 for starting that crap. I doubt any one would have even thought of sexism before that review. I won't spoil the story but let me just say I was moved when a certain character died and I was intrigued the whole way through. The voice acting is not that bad, in fact it's often quite good; again it's much better than anime. Don't let the haters sway you away from experiencing the story the way it should be experienced: by playing the game yourself. I could go on and on but if you only read one sentence out of this review, make it this: Metroid: Other M is far better than what you've heard. It's just as good as Metroid Prime 3 but for entirely different reasons. I personally enjoyed it more, and I can't believe the hate this game is receiving. I've never disagreed with "professional" reviewers more and I think there is definitely real bias.

Buy the game. Play it for yourself. If you have an open mind and are willing to explore a very innovative and creative game I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
  51. Sep 4, 2010
    I bought the "Metroid Other m" yesterday and finished it this morning and let me tell you that the game is simply brilliant.

Story (8): The story in this game is very important in the Metroid series. One such example is the computer Adam in Metroid Fusion, which after all is the former commander of Samus. The game is heavy on story but do not believe what they say. The game has a lot of

Story (8):
    The story in this game is very important in the Metroid series.
    The game is heavy on story but do not believe what they say. The game has a lot of story for a metroid game but compared to a normal game the story is not so heavy.

Graphics (9):
    Regardless a few slowdowns the graphics are very good taking into account the capabilities of the Wii.
    It's a little worse than Prime 3 but also has more things at once on screen.
    The outdoor areas are a little weak with poor textures and some slowdowns but in closed places (which is where it happens most of the action) the graphics are a wonder sometimes making me think that i was playing metroid on my xbox 360.
    The cut scenes are the best way to realize the reason Nintendo has chosen to double layer DVD's.

Sound (7):
    Here is where I found that this time the metroid was weaker.
    Where is the classic Metroid music to accompany the action??
    Most of the time there is no music and when there is it has nothing to do with anything. At least the music of the load game is the classical from the other Metroids.
    In relation to the voices of the characters have no reason to complain, i do not understand why there are so many people complaining ... they wanted for the voice of Samus
    Angelina Jolie ...?

Gameplay (10):
    Simply awesome! Only Nintendo could make a perfectly playable game in 3D with a d-pad and 3 / 4 buttons.
    Anyone used to playing Brawl with just the Wii Remote will feel at home, it's pretty easy to kill enemies with the auto lock-on, doing wrestling moves,
    wall tap, etc ... It's everything almost done automatic but is done in a way that after a while playing the game, you forget that. The move to first person is also well executed, although we did not manage to move the camera can rotate freely. First person action
    in the beginning is a bit strange but then it is a matter of habituation.
    The game's structure looks just like Super Metroid / Metroid Fusion but in 3D. However I found that is very similar to the Fusion with the areas being
    divided into sectors, into floors, the amount of save areas, etc ...
    The level of difficulty of the metroid is comparable to Super Metroid. The days of ease with Prime 3 finally are over, here is purely old school.

Longevity (9):
    Nothing new here in metroid, to reach the end are about 10 hours after unlock Hard Mode, and also gives to unlock artwork.

Final verdict:
    Nintendo took a big risk again with the Metroid franchise, and in my opinion achieved the feat again, like in 2003 (with the Primes).
    The game is very good technically and I do not understand why there are so many haters to give low scores to this game.
    Despite the game being good does not revolutionizes as much as the first Prime and that's why my final score is a solid 9.

Greetings from Portugal.
  52. Feb 25, 2011
    I don't understand all the negativity over Samus's voice.
    I thought it was great. It made her more human.
    Screw what everyone else says, this game is awesome.
  53. Aug 12, 2012
    Controls are bad,

the story is awfull, completly butchers everything about the series so far. the gameplay doesn't work. it feels good untill you realise the entire combat system is just twiddling the dpad and pressing a because the auto aim is so strong. and don't get me started on the stupid first person bits, especially the ones where you're routed in place and need to look at
    Controls are bad,

the story is awfull, completly butchers everything about the series so far.

and don't get me started on the stupid first person bits, especially the ones where you're routed in place and need to look at a damn flower for 20 min to progress.
  54. Sep 3, 2010
    While it may be difficult for a Metroid Prime -initiated fan to accept Metroid in 3d person, Other M relates very well to Metroid's 2d origins, albeit with the story-incentive-linearity of Metroid Fusion. The personality of Samus was, in my opinion, well put across (although part of the greater story-line could have been improved, few game plots are water-tight) and built well on theWhile it may be difficult for a Metroid Prime -initiated fan to accept Metroid in 3d person, Other M relates very well to Metroid's 2d origins, albeit with the story-incentive-linearity of Metroid Fusion. The personality of Samus was, in my opinion, well put across (although part of the greater story-line could have been improved, few game plots are water-tight) and built well on the monologues of Fusion. A silent Samus may increase the emphasis on self-exploration, but a reflective one does more to solidify the loneliness of her 'lone wolf' status far from diminishing it. In particular I don't think people should mistake the dispassionate dream-like tone of Samus' voice actress as a failure for actress to relate with her character, as it does more to solidify the muted quality of the feelings Samus experiences given the infrequency of her human interaction than to enfeeble her. Some degree of linearity is welcome for me to add some new flavour to the Metroid universe, and gladly much was retrospectively channeled through Samus thereby maintaining some of the franchise's mysterious nature. I can only hope for a little more free exploration in the future and a return of classic 'power-ups' (as opposed to contrived 'authorisation') which fueled much of the exploration of past games. Although the controls may need time to get used to, players who adapt will be well rewarded - particularly those who fell in love with the main franchise series as opposed to Prime. Expand
  55. Sep 6, 2010
    other M rocks!

some who are too "fixed on the Prime series" or who are just (stubborn) and wanted another Prime, are the ones who are disappointed (and are missing the enjoyment of a great game) but those, who know the real Metroid (NES, thrilling, challenging) and loved Super Metroid (SNES, surprising, complex) will be sucked up in a tens, fast paced, story depth, furious boss fighting,
    other M rocks!

but those, who know the real Metroid (NES, thrilling, challenging) and loved Super Metroid (SNES, surprising, complex) will be sucked up in a tens, fast paced, story depth, furious boss fighting, (charge beam) explosive, thrilling Game!!

it has the best/most intens charge beam action of all Metroid games

it's the fastest Metroid game (by far)

but most important, is its dynamic gameplay flow, that just keeps u going

sure, it isnt as flashy as the Primes, nor does it offer such a big surface to explore, and one or two cutscenes are a bit kitsh (ala FFXIII a bit)
    but it offers some real unforgettable "jump n run" and "find the next step/way out" moments!

just dont be looking for Prime, when playing it (look for Metroid), then you wont regret it

and for those, who have problems switching the views, just point the remote at the scanner-bar on or under your TV (and dont point it straight at the TV)
  56. Sep 6, 2010
    It surprises me that Metroid: Other M has gotten mixed reviews. I just finished the game and loved it. I suspect the hesitation from other reviewers has something to do with the near perfect praise of Retro Studioâ
  57. Jul 14, 2012
    I just replayed Other M and think I understand why so many give this amazing game negative reviews. First, Samus is an actual woman and not just T&A that keeps her mouth shut. Second, complaints that the controls to fire a missile into the face of a giant monster trying to kill you takes preparation, quick reflexes, and accuracy. People who lack the ability to do those things call theI just replayed Other M and think I understand why so many give this amazing game negative reviews. First, Samus is an actual woman and not just T&A that keeps her mouth shut. Second, complaints that the controls to fire a missile into the face of a giant monster trying to kill you takes preparation, quick reflexes, and accuracy. People who lack the ability to do those things call the controls bad instead of immersive. Third, haters tend to focus on the story and completely ignore the crisp graphics, heart pumping audio, and tight game play... which for a video game is kind of dumb (nobody is making you watch the cut scenes). Fourth, "they changed metroid!!!" coming out of the mouth of Prime fanboys who fail to realize that Prime was a massive change to metroid for us old fart Super Metroid fanboys. Expand
  58. Apr 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I DONT HAVE A PERFECT ENGLISH.

The best metroid ever created. Seriously, why the people cant accept a change in the gameplay of a great franchise. Before metroid other m, metroid was still my favorite franchise and this improved. I loved when the franchise try to be more original. I hope the bad reviews do not affect the future of metroid. I'm sure many of you expected it to be equal to the other Metroids, and for that reason got bad reviews.
  59. Jun 14, 2011
    Can a game possibly have a story so terrible it gets its ass kicked from Canon? I think this one has achieved that feat. With destroying the core concepts of a strong, powerful female character, full on stealing its plot almost piece by piece from Fusion, and having Samus in general do retarded thing... OH did I forget plot lines that just get randomly dropped and random whining that seemsCan a game possibly have a story so terrible it gets its ass kicked from Canon? I think this one has achieved that feat. With destroying the core concepts of a strong, powerful female character, full on stealing its plot almost piece by piece from Fusion, and having Samus in general do retarded thing... OH did I forget plot lines that just get randomly dropped and random whining that seems out of place EVEN for this freaking game as well? Holy **** the story is terrible. Gameplay is... marginally better. The swapping back and forth leaves you pathetically pew pewing with your beam most of the game until you stun something or have to go all missile face; making gameplay boring... in addition to making the standard enemies feel like boss battles on themselves. WHEN I GET THE SCREW ATTACK **** DIES. END OF STORY. Not... you gotat Screw attack them, then serve them tea to expose their weak spot which you hit with a dash of beam and then a missile before getting eaten and using a power bomb. Which with how much build up they have around the power bomb, is a pretty lack luster attack outside of when you're supposed to use it. The clue searching was... stupid. Just... stupid. I like how they tried to revive the 2d style with a 3d world... but I think they could've done it a lot better with a NUN-CHUCK. Holy **** I move with the Nun-chuck and point the curser at the screen to aim. I'm a genius. A **** Genius greater than that at Team Ninja. I'm glad for rentals though. Let me play this ****ty ass game without super frustration. Expand
  60. Nov 20, 2011
    This game butchered Samus Aran.

It's too easy, has a riculous upgrade system, unlikable characters and spits on the otherwise amazing Metroid series.

After Metroid Prime, it's inconcievable this could even be alowed to exist.

If you have never played a Metroid game, you may find something enjoyable in the gameplay, but otherewise, stay well clear.
  61. Sep 13, 2010
    When I heard that Team Ninja was taking over the Metroid series for the next game I kinda thought It'd still be in the style of the fantasic Metroid Prime series. Then I saw some gameplay trailers and discovered it was a hybrid of 2D/3D and thought it would probably play out for the worse, but knowing it was a Metroid game I would buy it regardless.

Just completed it yesterday and even

Just completed it yesterday and even though it took a couple hours to get used to the new style of action compared to the slower adventuring of the Prime series I really enjoyed it.

It's like a homage to Super Metroid from the Snes but with elements of Metroid Prime.

The story and cutscenes are very well done and there's even a cool twist to the plot.

Only real issues I have are that certain trademark Metroid sound effects and music doesn't get heard much thoughout the game. That said, the music is really good.

Also the graphics on the cutscenes are superb for a Wii but the ingame graphics could be better... Bad jaggies and occasionally low res textures (some times could be confused with N64!)

All in all, not as good as the Prime series but Team Ninja have gone for a different style that's definitely worth a play through!
  62. Sep 15, 2010
    I have to concur with some of my more discerning commentators. "Metroid: Other M" is a fine game and actually improves upon the gameplay in the "Prime series" in a number of respects. In the "Prime" the map was too labyrinthine which sometimes made the game feel like an endless slog, constantly backtracking through an implausibly designed level. Furthermore, there was no feeling of howI have to concur with some of my more discerning commentators. "Metroid: Other M" is a fine game and actually improves upon the gameplay in the "Prime series" in a number of respects. In the "Prime" the map was too labyrinthine which sometimes made the game feel like an endless slog, constantly backtracking through an implausibly designed level. Furthermore, there was no feeling of how agile Samus can be as a character and after all agility should be Samus' stock-in-trade. In "Other M" the core elements of what makes "Metoid" such a good series are distilled down to a purer simpler form and the result is, in the humble opinion of this reviewer, a more entertaining game.
    I believe that there is a great snobbery directed at Nintendo. Because Nintendo stick to their guns and make games in the way they believe games should be made, without submitting to mass appeal, people seem intent on poking fun at them simply for not being like Xbox or Playstation games. I say give Nintendo a chance, ignore the detractors, and buy this game!
  63. Oct 5, 2010
    Wow, what an amazing remake of the classic 2D Metroid done in 3D. Fun and exciting game play, gorgeous graphics, interesting story and music is what this game is all about. The developers did a very good job of bringing classic Metroid mechanics into 3D. Don't listen to those negative reviewers, they are just too biased. This game is like a very pleasant roller coaster ride. It may beWow, what an amazing remake of the classic 2D Metroid done in 3D. Fun and exciting game play, gorgeous graphics, interesting story and music is what this game is all about. The developers did a very good job of bringing classic Metroid mechanics into 3D. Don't listen to those negative reviewers, they are just too biased. This game is like a very pleasant roller coaster ride. It may be a lot more linear compared to Metroid Prime games, but it's still a great Metroid game at its core nevertheless. I played Metroid Prime Trilogy games, and I must say that enjoyed Other M a whole lot more. Playing Prime games just felt like a choir, with constant backtracking and lack of check points. If I happen to fail at a particular boss, I want to fight that mofo again right a way, and not having to walk all the way from my last save point!! Other M is a lot more streamlined and forgiving in that department. Its main focus is definitely on combat, instead of tedious exploration. I found the controls to be quite easy to use and very responsive. Switching from 3rd person to 1st person view may seem awkward at first, but you'll get used to it within first couple of hours of playing. After that, you'll start feeling like a hardcore space ninja as you blast your way through numerous enemies and boss encounters. And yes, you won't have to keep scanning bosses like in Metroid Prime games in order to figure out how to defeat them!! In Other M most battles go something like this: dodge dodge jump, blast a monster in the face with a charged up plasma beam, wait for exposed weak spot, switch over to your missiles and let him have it, jump on top of him to finish him off with a spectacular shot to the back of the head or a roundhouse kick. Come on, you have to agree that that's a lot more exciting than constantly doing pew pew pew pew pew pew shots till a monster dies like in Prime games! Team Ninja, I salute you and hope to see more Metroid games like Other M in the future. Expand
  64. Oct 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think this game is fun and still challenging. I think that it might not be the most difficult Metroid game but i like the switch from first back to third perspective. It give it a classic touch and makes it more fun because you can actually see yourself instead of just the things in front of you. I also like the storytelling of the game and the cut scenes are very impressive. Expand
  65. Nov 17, 2010
    Other M is a great game, but it's a shame the story gets in the way. The game is kinda a cross between shadow complex, and the earlier Meroid games. It's at it's best wandering the ship tracking things down. It's at it's worse when Samus talks. I don't have a problem with her new character because despite her constant inner monologues she technically stays silent for most of the time.Other M is a great game, but it's a shame the story gets in the way. The game is kinda a cross between shadow complex, and the earlier Meroid games. It's at it's best wandering the ship tracking things down. It's at it's worse when Samus talks. I don't have a problem with her new character because despite her constant inner monologues she technically stays silent for most of the time. But her voice actress is awful and makes the plot more like a B SyFy movie then the epic story it could be. The controls are good despite the fact that the controller is just a will mote, and though the story is short (8 or so hours for the main play-through another 3 to 4 to get everything) the boss battles are intense. However times when the game freezes the actions and tell you to look for something are crap, especially since I was playing on a older TV, what I had to look for was never clear and I could have found 10 waldos in the time some of these sequences took, and the game is easy, it looks so cool at times you might not even realize your just tapping one button.Other M is not a bad game by any means but it sure is a disappointing one, make it a master piece next time Nintendo divided by team ninja. Expand
  66. Apr 24, 2011
    Let me start by saying that I understand how someone can hate this game. It`s probably one of the most niche games Nintendo has ever published. But if you love this game, chances are you will never stop loving it. Other M is one of the most consistantly good looking games ever released on the Wii (although the Prime games have much better art direction), and once you get used to theLet me start by saying that I understand how someone can hate this game. It`s probably one of the most niche games Nintendo has ever published. But if you love this game, chances are you will never stop loving it. Other M is one of the most consistantly good looking games ever released on the Wii (although the Prime games have much better art direction), and once you get used to the controls it can be a rather smooth ride throughout. The story is love it or hate it, with beautiful cutscenes but debatable voice acting. As a huge fan of niche games, Metroid: Other M is certainly one of the best. Expand
  67. May 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a newcomer to the Metroid series, and have only every played another Metroid game when I was about 5, on the GBA, I didn't even know it was one too. I bought this because my brother (He loves the Metroid series) wanted to get it so badly. I found it rather cheap on GAME so I bought it. And I have to say I am so happy that I did. Amazing graphics, looks beautiful. Great cutscenes, great fight sequences and this has even got me into buying the Prime Trilogy and Super Metroid. The only few bad things is the lack of replay value, except for having to go back, and collecting the power-ups, getting Adam's hat and fighting that giant Monster, and parts where you go into first-person and have to search for something as small as a pixel. I did like the twist of that small rat thing being Ridley. Great game all around, haters gonna hate on this game. Expand
  68. May 16, 2011
    FUN! Metroid has had a lot of games. It started as a side scroller, developed into an FPS and then a pinball game, but now we have Metroid Other M. This game is 2D, it's 3D, it's a 3rd person shooter, it's a Side scroller, it's survival horror, it's an FPS, it's a story of closure, and it's flat out high octane FUN. Team Ninja's Metroid Other M, has a lot in common with an action gameFUN! Metroid has had a lot of games. It started as a side scroller, developed into an FPS and then a pinball game, but now we have Metroid Other M. This game is 2D, it's 3D, it's a 3rd person shooter, it's a Side scroller, it's survival horror, it's an FPS, it's a story of closure, and it's flat out high octane FUN. Team Ninja's Metroid Other M, has a lot in common with an action game developed by the famous game developer, TREASURE. It's Fresh, Familiar, tons of explosions, and throws caution to the wind when considering what a lot of loyal fans may think. Like so many Wii titles, Metroid Other M is an experiment and uses the meeting ground of the Wii, like a pit-stop, to attract some New faces to the Metroid Fan-base family. Like me. My favorite Wii game is Sin and Punishment Star Successor, and my tastes are very action orientated, so I get bored easily at exploratory type games. I know I will get Hate for this, but I find every Side-scroller Metroid before Metroid Other M, confusing, frankly not that smooth or fun to play, worst of all dull. In Metroid Other M, the traditional Metroid style gameplay stiffness is gone, the rat-mazes are history, Bosses are exciting and plentiful now, a good life regeneration system has been implemented, collecting items is no longer a chore and YES even the character Samus, is lovable. This is the closest I have seen to a 90's Arcade style Metroid, and it is all the better for it, in my frantic stuck-in-the-90's arcade action gamer opinion. If you have hated Metroid all the days of your life, this is a Metroid that sings a Siren song, reaching out to you! The low sales of this game will make the development of another like it, not likely to say the least, so there should be plenty copies out there cheap. Don't mind the spoiled brat fan-boys and fan-girls, this Metroid is AWESOME! I don't think those fans, who are offended at this iteration of Metroid have anything to fear concerning the future Metroid releases because as far as I can tell, this wasn't made for them, it was made for YOU. Think of it as a conspiracy by pathetic elitists, that don't want us scum to enjoy "THEIR" game franchise. So go and enjoy METROID OTHER M! This is my Second Favorite Wii game, second only to Sin and Punishment Star Successor of course. Next time Nintendo, Hire TREASURE to develop Metroid:D Expand
  69. Jul 2, 2011
    just to start off, this game is EPIC, it ties up almost all of the loose ends of metroid; and then it has great gameplay. the 3rd person can be weird for those at home with prime, but eventually feels natural. The graphics, though not that important, look really good. the only downside? the LONG cutscenes lasting up to 15 minutes, cannot be skipped, and you are not allowed to pause, butjust to start off, this game is EPIC, it ties up almost all of the loose ends of metroid; and then it has great gameplay. the 3rd person can be weird for those at home with prime, but eventually feels natural. The graphics, though not that important, look really good. the only downside? the LONG cutscenes lasting up to 15 minutes, cannot be skipped, and you are not allowed to pause, but the cutscenes look amazing and tell samus's story very well. overall i love this game and say any who hate it can be staring down the barrel of a phazon cannon for all i care. Expand
  70. Oct 19, 2010
    Although it was still fun, I was very disappointed. The story is kind of stupid and confusing. I enjoyed the action gameplay, but not being able to move while in first person was an unnecessary challenge. Also, Samus' stupid commander in the game has to "give authorization" to use cool weapons and suits. Overall, the game is still fun, and the cutscenes look amazing, but at this point oneAlthough it was still fun, I was very disappointed. The story is kind of stupid and confusing. I enjoyed the action gameplay, but not being able to move while in first person was an unnecessary challenge. Also, Samus' stupid commander in the game has to "give authorization" to use cool weapons and suits. Overall, the game is still fun, and the cutscenes look amazing, but at this point one would think that Nintendo could do better. Expand
  71. Jul 5, 2011
    Concerns that the game destroys a strong female character and sets 'women in games' back should be immediately abandoned; demanding women fill either one of two roles in gaming is as sexist as any portrayal of the 'girly-girl' or 'homemaker'. The game shows a woman with inner turmoil and actual problems, yet still allows you to kick absolute arse through gameplay. A far more relatable andConcerns that the game destroys a strong female character and sets 'women in games' back should be immediately abandoned; demanding women fill either one of two roles in gaming is as sexist as any portrayal of the 'girly-girl' or 'homemaker'. The game shows a woman with inner turmoil and actual problems, yet still allows you to kick absolute arse through gameplay. A far more relatable and real feeling character than the cardboard cutout hero many games have (silent protagonists being much over done and a cheap replacement for characterization) or the typical 'Terminatrix' most people think female heroines should be in order to be cool. The style of play is fun with an intuitive switch between first person and third person (it's not clunky like lazy gamers would have you believe, and clearly they don't remember old games with actual clunky controls). In many ways, it plays like a classic metroid- a mostly platformer styled game with the return of your beam weapons and other powerups all combining (which can be good or bad depending on your taste admittedly) set between a variety of explorable zones. I high risk to rip the game out of the genre Prime had set when FPSes are a cash cow today. The new way of approaching enemies in the game and giving them unique ways of killing each one gives a much less boring feel of simply blasting your way through as with previous titles (a system that oddly no one had a problem with when used in God of War yet is just as viscerally satisfying here) and again can show- through Rule of Cool, check it on TV Tropes- just how much arse Samus can kick; while showing that she is still very much a person, a woman, with real problems and an actual personality rather then a face-frozen-in-scowl or some witty-kid focusing more on asinine commentary. Your main problems with the game will come from the somewhat awkward way most upgrades are given to you, which may cause a raised eyebrow at one point in the game, and leaves too much room for people to read too much into it (it's not that bad, but invited all the children into the house) and the fact that Nintendo is putting characterization much too late into the game, which will (of course!) upset those with preconceived notions on how they feel Samus should act, especially as the amount of talking she does is incredible (even if mostly inner monologue) compared to previous games, which can give a confused notion of seeming 'preachy'. These two are largely subjective problems; leaving the only real technical fallacy to the game being the rather difficult 'detective' moments, when you're required to find incredibly tiny bits of 'evidence', and often are hard to get your WiiMote to recognize your pointing at it, in order to advance. These are, thankfully, sparse through the game. It's short, like most old Metroids, and the re-playability isn't as grand as it could have been. I can suggest that one at least RENT this game, ignoring what others say about it, and try it yourself; form your own opinion. I PERSONALLY don't regret my money being spent on it, and I bought it- you should at least rent it, and form your own opinions. It's short, and the gameplay alone is interesting enough that there's no way you could really have wasted five bucks just to try it. A good, if not the best, addition to the series. Expand
  72. Sep 23, 2011
    They managed to break the excellent gameplay of both the 2D games, and Prime's GOTY award-winning FPS action... in one sitting! let me elaborate...

The third person parts are ok, i guess, but since the d-pad's 8-way digital input is ill fit for 3D environments. most of the shooting is auto-aimed, taking the fun out of much of the action, this is broken as well as most often than not, the auto aim, picks the target far away rather than the dangerously close one.

The First Person Mode is infuriating at first, frustrating at best when you get used to it. not being able to move in this mode is really not the way to go here, i still don't understand why... you are perfectly capable of still using the d-pad here to move, yet it's blocked, even free-looking is blocked unless you press and hold B, which also activates locking and missiles which makes it a pain to look around... Fans of the Prime Trilogy will (and have) revolt since there's no good reason lo lock looking around and moving in this mode (even without the nunchuck) than just to piss you off...

Gone are the Energy/Missile/SuperMissile/Powerbomb pickups when you defeat enemies, now you have to hold the wii remote upwards and hold A to recharge missiles and takes a little while (3 secs?). You also have to do this to recharge Energy, the kicker is you can only do it when you're about to die at 25 energy or less and when you hold the remote upwards and hold A you stand still and completely vulnerable until a blue dot reaches the end of the energy meter. then it recharges, this takes approximately 5 seconds which in metroid terms is an eternity, making it impossible to recharge when most enemies are around, besides, it only recharges the first (or last, if you will) 100 points of energy, not the tanks, these can only be recharged at the save stations. To me... this... outright sucks. It's like Mario with no mushrooms anywhere... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? it breaks the formula too much!

Metroid Prime fans are gonna hate it (forsaking the nunchuck is one thing, but locking movement and even free looking in 1st person mode, just to piss you off, is too much, went too far)

Old school metroid fans are gonna hate it as well, since it breaks the classic formula... (Linearity, shallow, chatty monotone Samus w/daddy issues included)
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    Some looked beyond the newfound wetness of Samus Aran's bounty hunting femme fatale, others (like myself) believed Team Ninja had just gone and destroyed the most iconic female protagonist in video game history. What doesn't help is the actual game she's in is a visually flat, uninspiring and very bland corridor themed third person shooter adventure. The game's cutscenes are a visualSome looked beyond the newfound wetness of Samus Aran's bounty hunting femme fatale, others (like myself) believed Team Ninja had just gone and destroyed the most iconic female protagonist in video game history. What doesn't help is the actual game she's in is a visually flat, uninspiring and very bland corridor themed third person shooter adventure. The game's cutscenes are a visual highlight, if too overlong. Gameplay mechanics are unnecessarily cumbersome and limiting just for the sake of being innovative. The execution of the protagonist's character is very controversial and confusing. Samus behaviour and personality in cut-scenes don't reflect how she behaves in-game. From weeping over a cold, un-charasimatic and intensely dislikable Adam Malkovich to wringing an alien lizard's neck then shoving her arm cannon ruthlessly into it's mouth before blasting it's internals out, it is clear the character development was only half-baked. Boss fights bar one or two are dull. The game is very difficult, as expected from Team Ninja of Ninja Gaiden fame but the game only lasts roughly 10-12 hours on normal difficulty, hard mode a few more. Graphics: 6/10
    Gameplay: 5/10
    Features: 6/10

Hard to recommend with the offensive portrayal of Samus Aran's character and dated attitude towards women...oh yeah did I mention she speaks now? I mean really talks? I mean never actually shuts up now?
  74. Dec 17, 2011
    Not the best metroid game out there, but still a slightly good one. The controls are my biggest concern, even after playing this game multiple times, I still have problems. Not to mention the voice acting in the game is terrible. Also, the story was not well written either, I felt they should have worked harder on the story more then anything else because the way they depicted Samus andNot the best metroid game out there, but still a slightly good one. The controls are my biggest concern, even after playing this game multiple times, I still have problems. Not to mention the voice acting in the game is terrible. Also, the story was not well written either, I felt they should have worked harder on the story more then anything else because the way they depicted Samus and Adam's relationship is a little disappointing. I feel as if they should have added more game play to this game. It seems like Nintendo focused more on the cutscenes (which were done very well!) more than the game play. Expand
  75. Mar 4, 2012
    Other M is a very strange title in the metroid series, I like the game but there are some serious issues that bothered me about this game. There are 2 controls perspective: the 3rd person controls are great you can fire, dodge, jump etc. just fine the problem is the 1st person controls, by aiming the remote to the screen you acces to FPS perspective but you cant move and this way is theOther M is a very strange title in the metroid series, I like the game but there are some serious issues that bothered me about this game. There are 2 controls perspective: the 3rd person controls are great you can fire, dodge, jump etc. just fine the problem is the 1st person controls, by aiming the remote to the screen you acces to FPS perspective but you cant move and this way is the only way to fire missiles and super missiles, is not that bad but sometimes its feels werid and you can get hit very easily and mimics the prime series controls. My point here is that the game didnt need that feature it would be better if al the focus went to the 3rd person and manage to put all the games control into only 3rd person. The other thing that bothers me is samus personality, is not a bad idea to put personality into a character but the cheap writting put into samus in this game was bad, always samus was a determinated a serious character and in this game they make her with a soft-emotional personality, soft moments can be emotional but not if they are repeated in the whole game. but aside from that other m is a good game the combat is flashy and action packed and the boss fights are incredible, by far this is one of the best games on the wii Expand
  76. Aug 29, 2012
    I loved so much this game. It has a awesome way to play, great exploration, epic boss battles, a pretty damn good history, it's the way for me to do a third person metroid game.
    I think that capcom could borrow this type of game to rebirth the mega man and X series
    I just don't understand why people complain so much about this one. The only problem that a found in this game is the way they chose to present Samus, but it is a tiny flaw because for me they go just a little to much in Samus quietness and sadness but aways think that she will be a woman like that but not that much.
    Please play the game entirely before give your opinion.
  77. Dec 1, 2012
    I love this game and any gamer that says this is sexist needs to grow up. The only flaw is the game does not have as much length as Metroid Prime. It is inspiring to see that samus Aran is human. The best kind of Bounty Hunter is one that is peaceful. I love how this goes back to NES gameplay.
  78. Feb 9, 2013
    By far the worst metroid game a a huge mis-step by Nintendo. The game has way too much focus on it's boring and ridiculous story, the characters including Samus are boring as all hell and I couldn't care less about any of them. The gameplay is decent for the most part, but the controls ruin the experience and make enemy encounters a chore. D-pad controls just don't work for this game. TheBy far the worst metroid game a a huge mis-step by Nintendo. The game has way too much focus on it's boring and ridiculous story, the characters including Samus are boring as all hell and I couldn't care less about any of them. The gameplay is decent for the most part, but the controls ruin the experience and make enemy encounters a chore. D-pad controls just don't work for this game. The game looks pretty good for a Wii title and the animation on Samus is better than ever but the boss battles and enemies aren't memorable when compared to previous games in the series. There are also infuriating 'scanning' segments and the plot has so many dumb moments it's ridiculous. I enjoyed some of other m through the frustration but I felt like I was playing a rip-off metroid rather than a real one the entire time. Expand
  79. Apr 25, 2013
    Team Ninja gets how we all feel about Samus. We view her as a hardened badass war machine who gets the job done with chilling proficiency. The gameplay they've crafted reflects that long-held characterization. Throughout the Bottle Ship, Samus will throw giant alien bees, kick Space Pirates in the face, and suplex giant chameleon-scorpions. It's a shame the narrative paints her asTeam Ninja gets how we all feel about Samus. We view her as a hardened badass war machine who gets the job done with chilling proficiency. The gameplay they've crafted reflects that long-held characterization. Throughout the Bottle Ship, Samus will throw giant alien bees, kick Space Pirates in the face, and suplex giant chameleon-scorpions. It's a shame the narrative paints her as something entirely different. Yoshio Sakamoto wanted to humanize Samus, but in his attempt to do so, he made her come across as a weak-willed, emotionally stunted moron with deep daddy issues.

If Team Ninja developed the next game, and Sakamoto had nothing to do with the story, I would be optimistic. It's clear that they get how Samus is seen by Metroid's audience, and they certainly delivered a compelling game. It's a shame that such a great game had an awful story to go with it.
  80. May 31, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is different from the Prime series so they aren't just rehashing the series and the gameplay is really fun, but my biggest problem with this is how they ruined Samus. I've always viewed Samus as a silent protagonist who never speaks, but it shows how committed to the job she is and her character was revealed through her movements and the way she reacts toDon't get me wrong, the gameplay is different from the Prime series so they aren't just rehashing the series and the gameplay is really fun, but my biggest problem with this is how they ruined Samus. I've always viewed Samus as a silent protagonist who never speaks, but it shows how committed to the job she is and her character was revealed through her movements and the way she reacts to certain things. With this voice actor, she sounds like a damning cheer leader in Samus's armor. It drives me crazy to hear her talk and how she's emotionally scarred from seeing Ridley come back from the dead more often than Krillin is just stupid. This is not a bad game by any means, but how they handled the characters just pisses me off. If you can ignore it and enjoy it for its gameplay, then this is for you. Otherwise, don't bother with it. Expand
  81. Nov 12, 2013
    This is not what Metroid is about... It's a shame that the series has gone downhill and a lot is due to the lack of demand with the Metroid franchise. There's no more exploration, even less than Metroid Fusion. This isn't a bad game, it just shouldn't have the Metroid logo slapped onto it. Mediocre story, poor controls, and lack of Metroid feel makes this a poor experience, especially forThis is not what Metroid is about... It's a shame that the series has gone downhill and a lot is due to the lack of demand with the Metroid franchise. There's no more exploration, even less than Metroid Fusion. This isn't a bad game, it just shouldn't have the Metroid logo slapped onto it. Mediocre story, poor controls, and lack of Metroid feel makes this a poor experience, especially for those fond of the series. Expand
  82. Nov 27, 2013
    While the story is, for all intents and purposes, convoluted and gives Samus some rather questionable characterization, the gameplay itself is everything I hoped a 3D Metroid would play. Sure the Prime trilogy's style of play is virtually flawless, but it's nice to see how a Super Metroid today would be like.

As a follow up, I can't help but feel this story would have made a lot more

As a follow up, I can't help but feel this story would have made a lot more sense if Samus was portrayed as she was in her training days. Not as a seasoned veteran. Tomb Raider 2013 got that part right.
  83. Feb 8, 2014
    This is definitely a great action game, and a very good Metroid game too. Do not listen to all the whiners, they are all wrong! If anyone gives this game a score below a 7, they're just trolling and not worth reading the review.

Anyone playing this game can see Nintendo put a lot of effort into it. A little minus is that it might be a bit story-heavy at times, and you can't skip the cut-scenes.
    But if you like action games you'll love this one. I wasn't even into the Metroid-series before playing this, so this is for everyone.
  84. Mar 9, 2014
    While the gameplay might not be too offensive (emphasis on 'too'), the story is so, so, SO INTENSELY AWFUL that it is literally impossible to ignore. Literally, it even messes with the gameplay to the point of being groan-worthy.
  85. Mar 16, 2014
    Whether being compared to other Metroid games, or on it's own merits, Metroid: Other M has an extensive amount of failures. The biggest of which is using only the Wii remote as it's main control scheme. This not only leads to clunky controls, but shallow action and unnecessary ways to use items as well. You hold the Wii remote sideways, meaning you must control Samus with the D-Pad, whichWhether being compared to other Metroid games, or on it's own merits, Metroid: Other M has an extensive amount of failures. The biggest of which is using only the Wii remote as it's main control scheme. This not only leads to clunky controls, but shallow action and unnecessary ways to use items as well. You hold the Wii remote sideways, meaning you must control Samus with the D-Pad, which makes the combat incredibly clunky to use. Firing missiles, super missiles, and the grapple beam are all done when in the first person perspective, which requires you to turn the Wii remote and point it at the screen, which will slow down the action considerably. Not only that, but the controls for these segments are terrible, and it really shows when you play a game that does wii-mote pointing right, such as Metroid Prime 3. The combat in the game, while fun at times, has almost no depth and is extremely repetitive. You are limited to only one beam at a time, and even when they do switch, they all handle the same, unlike in other games like the Metroid Prime series. This means you are simply shooting over and over until you get a chance to do a finisher. It feels like a watered down version of Ninja Gaiden that was meant for smartphones. I won't go in-depth with the story, as it won't matter that much since the game is about gameplay, but I will say that it seems like they ripped out the same kind of acting from awful films like The Last Airbender and Twilight and copy-pasted them into this game. This is an even bigger problem because the game constantly shoves unskippable cutscenes in your face that are filled with monotone dialogue from Samus, which completely shoves the immersion that made the other Metroid games so great out of the window. Expand
  86. Feb 10, 2015
    Turning the main character from a bounty hunter badass to whatever that was deserves a 0/10 worst metroid game so far.

Seems I have to make this 500 characters long...... sure thing. Don't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this

Seems I have to make this 500 characters long...... sure thing.

Don't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this game
  87. Aug 31, 2010
    The levels are very diverse, the enemy types are very interesting, and Samus' moves are very nicely animated. The boss fights are very rewarding to fight and are very massive. And the graphics are very great for a Wii title, especially the cut-scenes. Some things about the game keep it from being a perfect score. While it is cool that Samus can go from a 2d perspective to a 3d one, itThe levels are very diverse, the enemy types are very interesting, and Samus' moves are very nicely animated. The boss fights are very rewarding to fight and are very massive. And the graphics are very great for a Wii title, especially the cut-scenes. Some things about the game keep it from being a perfect score. While it is cool that Samus can go from a 2d perspective to a 3d one, it feels sort of clunky. When you move to 1st person, you sometimes loose track of the enemy that you are fighting, and that said enemy will most likely hit you. While in 1st person mode, you also cannot move Samus, which makes some of the puzzles and fighting a little difficult. Samus can dodge attacks while in 1st person mode, even though the game doesn't really explain this. All you have to do is shake the Wii-mote controller when an enemy attack comes at you, and Samus will do a dodge and exit out of it. Also, I found Samus Aran's voice to be sort of bland, and the story isn't going to win any awards. Overall, the game is very amazing, and with few Wii games being great this year, Metroid Other M is a nice addition to any library. Expand
  88. Sep 9, 2010
    As many other people have said, i went into this game very skeptical not knowing what to expect. But the end result was a fun playable experience dont get me wrong the dialogue is not the best and the cut scenes drag a bit, and the controls just take a bit to get used too nothing big. but aside from that its still a fun experience one that you have come to expect from nintendo if you are aAs many other people have said, i went into this game very skeptical not knowing what to expect. But the end result was a fun playable experience dont get me wrong the dialogue is not the best and the cut scenes drag a bit, and the controls just take a bit to get used too nothing big. but aside from that its still a fun experience one that you have come to expect from nintendo if you are a metroid fan then i suggest that you check it out at least dont believe all the bad reviews Expand
  89. Sep 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metroid: Other M is a great game, when taken for what it is, instead of expecting it to fit in your personal view of Metroid canon. Yes, Samus is stall absolutely badass, but now we see her as a person instead of a stoic force of nature, and some people are seeing the emotions, the weakness, as sexist, but it really doesn't gel. After all, if you went through what Samus did, and then ended up in that situation, male or female, you'd probably do exactly what she did. Anyway, a pros/cons list is in order

Pros:
    Sense move is intuitive, and most of the controls just work
    Anthony is completely badass
    Adam's death is a well done tearjerker, if you have emotions
    The fight with Ridley is just as intense and fun as it should be
    You usually have the tools you need

Cons:
    I said most of the controls. There were a few frustrating moments where it all went wrong repeatedly.
    Hunt the pixel is no fun, period.
    Small battlefields are exercises in frustration, when your foe has a long reach.
    Lava sector-varia suit=facepalm

Notice that I said nothing about the story. The reason for that is that it's kinda meh for me. Though there were powerful moments, there were others that did nothing, except slow everything right down.
  90. Sep 5, 2010
    I think the game is well made and has great storytelling sure its not one of the Prime games but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. Part of me did not like the auto aim thing but once I played it I realized I can take in more of the beauty of the game that way
  91. Sep 5, 2010
    Metroid: Other M is a wonderful addition to the already classic Metroid series. While not quite on par with Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, the game nonetheless succeeds in creating a game play experience that is both simple and fun. Samus moves with the agility that you would expect from the greatest bounty hunter in the universe. The boss battles are exceptional, and the fleshed outMetroid: Other M is a wonderful addition to the already classic Metroid series. While not quite on par with Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, the game nonetheless succeeds in creating a game play experience that is both simple and fun. Samus moves with the agility that you would expect from the greatest bounty hunter in the universe. The boss battles are exceptional, and the fleshed out story is a refreshing change for those of us who want to know more about the enigmatic Samus Aran. The only main drawback to the game is the wooden dialogue that sometimes interferes with an otherwise interesting story. Expand
  92. Sep 18, 2010
    This was great mix of the old Metroid games and the more recent Prime series. Lotsa fun, good challenge, and a good length. Some people complained about the narration in the game, but there's really not that much of it, and I don't feel it gets I the way of the story - and the story was cool.
  93. Oct 13, 2010
    the actual Metroid bits of this game work very well, but combined with the horrible plot, flow-breaking first-person elements, and abandonment of the classic Metroid exploration experience leaves this a game a dirty stain on an otherwise relatively untarnished series. I blame Team Ninja, the biggest hacks to ever come out of Japan, who need to stop making games before they ruin anotherthe actual Metroid bits of this game work very well, but combined with the horrible plot, flow-breaking first-person elements, and abandonment of the classic Metroid exploration experience leaves this a game a dirty stain on an otherwise relatively untarnished series. I blame Team Ninja, the biggest hacks to ever come out of Japan, who need to stop making games before they ruin another franchise. Expand
  94. Oct 28, 2010
    This is a very good Metroid title. I think the inclusion of 2.5D and 3D was done very well. Auto aiming in third person was odd at first but it really helped the gameplay go smoother.

A lot of critics talked about how they disliked the upgrade system. There are parts when your high authority unlocks features in Samus. I think it was really refreshing because every Metroid in the past had some idea of how Samus loses her suit powers. In this game, Samus already had the upgrades and only used them when needed.

Whats really odd about this game is that it never talks about the Prime Trilogy, hinting that the story only focused on the older story progression.

This is a very fun and fast paced Metroid title. Get the game if you like Metroid, don't listen to the bad reviews.
  95. Apr 26, 2011
    Excellent game. Brought back memories of playing super metroid in some ways. If your looking for a cheap Nintendo title this is the one. Don't really like shooters at all but i like metroid. Wish they had finished making the game though. Too short.
  96. Jun 23, 2011
    This was a waste of money, and I only spent $20.00. Whatever good ideas this game contains are outdone by the awful story line and emphasis on cut scenes. They bog the game down, and are embarrassing to watch. If you want a 2D Metroid experience go back through each one from the NES, SNES, GB, and GBA. If you've already done that - save your money and put it towards a Metroid Prime statue.
  97. Feb 18, 2012
    Not only the first bad Metroid game but worst game I can remember having played, with the worst name I've seen on a video-game. Team Ninja wanted to make Samus more human and failed magnificently. Did their ideas ever include giving her a discernible personality, or dialogue a human might speak? 'Mother... time to go!' A mythology about a lone bounty huntress perpetually wrapped in aNot only the first bad Metroid game but worst game I can remember having played, with the worst name I've seen on a video-game. Team Ninja wanted to make Samus more human and failed magnificently. Did their ideas ever include giving her a discernible personality, or dialogue a human might speak? 'Mother... time to go!' A mythology about a lone bounty huntress perpetually wrapped in a space-suit exploring the silent worlds of distant stellar systems millennia in the future and fighting bioforms who have no words to speak to her is not one of the more fertile grounds for melodrama. The characters in Metroid games work exquisitely as silhouettes. The people at Team Ninja took those and painted smiley faces on them.

Example: A despicable opening scene presents a crater of a reenactment of the climax of 'Super Metroid', which most people seem to consider the best final boss encounter yet made, in one of the greatest games yet made. One of the things that made Mother Brain terrifying in the 1994 game was her empty, necrotic eye. She was a paragon of the soulless monstre archetype. In 'Other M', her enormous eye is brought to full, vibrant life. The ravening demoness of the tomb has now been reduced to a big, dumb ogress. The camera is maddening during the cut-scenes. It judders among Galactic Federation troops as they **** their guns in deference to the more wretched of the T.V. action shows, throwing any focus we might have off of the T.V. action show-like plot points currently being given, which in turn would distract us from the innate beauty of the game's atmosphere, if it had any.

Game-play disgraces its predecessors. Nearly all areas are dark and grimy. There is no Earthly reason there should be a Metroid game this bad.
  98. Aug 31, 2010
    One of the best games of the Wii. The CGs and cutescens are VERY EPIC. The BOSS fights, maps, very diverse, the enemy types are very interesting... and the Samus have a epic personality.
    Graphic is one of the best of the Wii, sound, gameplay are very nice.

Dont trust in negative reviews.
  99. Aug 31, 2010
    totally rad, next-level system game, except i would change one thing: the characters look like fokin losers man! you got to have better lookin fools behind the screen if you want the next NEXT level game you know? yolandi visser outtyhear
  100. Dec 22, 2010

1. Oct 21, 2010
    Regardless the shortcomings, Nintendo definitely deserves praise for yet again hiring not one but two orchestras to play the game's soundtrack start to end– hearing real strings and percussion, occasionally augmented by sci-fi synthesizer, adds a lushness to the soundtrack that Metroid has long deserved.
    Experimental by design. It might not always work, but when it does its an experience hard to forget, wearing the Metroid tag with pride with its head held high.
  3. Team Ninja is not Nintendo. This could be the perfect description for Metroid: Other M, a competent action game that simply lacks the quality and the level of polishing of the "real" Nintendo games.