Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars Wii

8.7

1. Jun 3, 2015
    This game is definitely one of those hidden gems, that not many know about. I've seen countless reviews on this game but don't see them as being very fair, so I decided to write one and see if I can highlight every aspect.

To begin, I would like to mention that this is definitely a game that is enjoyable for many hours and does pose a challenge. It's not too hard and not too easy. I honestly love the visuals, sure the graphics are kind of out dated, even for a late 2008 game, but they still caught my eye. The way everything was so dark and gloomy is not something you see in a "Plat Former" these days.

The element of having to collect items to be able to build a better weapon was fun, and made it that much better to explore so you could find these Items. It also brought something new to the plat forming genre that hasn't been seen too often. Trying to figure out what you have to do in some parts was good, challenging and made advancing through the game rewarding.

I also loved the fact that you were very little, and all the environments you go through range from backyards, to people's bathrooms. It added a nice little warm feeling to it. The game its self wasn't too short, but not overly long either, which in my opinion was good.

Unfortunately this game is full of things that stop it from being a perfect hidden gem. From horrible camera
    angles and "glitchy" game play.

For the first few hours the game was fine, and it's such a blast, it felt like a mixture between Conkers Bad Fur Day and Banjo Kazooie for me, that is until I got further into the game. The frustration started to rise. Terrible hit detection was one thing that I could not stomach, this was possibly one of the most frustrating things in the game. An enemy could hit you meters away from your vicinity, when your hits would sometimes not register at all.

Platforming was made increasingly difficult with the "slippery" like ground. You think you've made the landing perfectly, only to slip off lots and lots of objects straight back to the ground. This got frustrating very quickly.

Enemies were boring and not very thought out, same goes for the boss fights, it was more tedious than anything, and the challenge didn't come from the enemies being hard, it came from the sloppy hit detection and the unimaginative combat.

I could honestly go on about the things that let this game down, but that's a hand full of things that make it good and make it not so good. I can see why this game didn't perform so well, how ever it definitely is a hidden gem and is quite fun and enjoyable. If you're looking for a game to pass some time, then I definitely recommend this game.
  2. Jun 1, 2011
    As a veteran platform player Mushroom Men was a bit on the easy side for me. While the game does mix it up greatly with the use of the psychic powers the is still pretty short. The style is great, the music is fitting, some of the levels are well designed (a map would have been nice) and the characters were pretty silly and the weapons were cool. You get the sense that this was a fun gameAs a veteran platform player Mushroom Men was a bit on the easy side for me. While the game does mix it up greatly with the use of the psychic powers the is still pretty short. The style is great, the music is fitting, some of the levels are well designed (a map would have been nice) and the characters were pretty silly and the weapons were cool. You get the sense that this was a fun game to work on.
    A few things wrong, besides the short length, were that everything you can pick up with your psychic powers feels like a cardboard box. You don't sense the weight of the heavier objects. The camera was pretty finicky, which most 3D platformers also suffer from. A lock on targeting system would be have awesome for this game. Level lay out can be confusing at times as well. Sometimes there so much detail in a level you just get lost trying to find the next platform to jump to.
    Overall, a fun short game, great for a rental or for cheap in the discount bins. Older gamers may find it too easy, but it's whatever. Support the independent guys.

#39 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#38 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. It'd have a Gold Award but for the camera. That aside, it's pretty wonderful. [Dec 2008, p.75]
  2. Nintendo Power
    If you're hungry for some classic 3-D platforming, Mushroom men is definitely worth checking out. [Holiday 2008, p.84]
  3. Even in this realm of sub-average platformers, you have several better options than Mushroom Men. [Dec 2008, p.124]