Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars Wii

8.7

1. JoshN
    Jan 6, 2009
    I would give this game a 8.75. It's fun, and it gives some replay value, if you want to go back and search for more weapon parts. I'd say definetly worth a purchase
  2. BobM
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm not sure what the "pro" reviewers were looking for, but this game is really a high quality release for the Wii, and a very good platformer besides. No, it's not Super Mario Galaxy (what game is?), and yes, it does have some minor camera and motion control combat issues (as in both should have been tighter), but those issues don't get in the way of the gameplay. The I'm not sure what the "pro" reviewers were looking for, but this game is really a high quality release for the Wii, and a very good platformer besides. No, it's not Super Mario Galaxy (what game is?), and yes, it does have some minor camera and motion control combat issues (as in both should have been tighter), but those issues don't get in the way of the gameplay. The story is unique, the level design is fantastic, the graphics are very good, the soundtrack is awesome (come on, it's Les Claypool). All in all, it's a very good game, it deserves better scores than it's getting. I would even go so far as to say that it's possibly the best action/platformer for Wii this side of Mario Galaxy and de Blob. And that's saying something. Expand
  3. AndyM
    Dec 2, 2008
    This game is tons of fun, with vibrantly bright colors and engaging game play. Considering the lack of appealing titles on the Wii, this game has made me much happier to own one.
  4. ScottW
    Apr 19, 2009
    Great game. Excellent visuals, addictive music, good motion controls, plenty of exploring, lots of enemies and good puzzles. The only game my wife has ever played all the way through without getting bored. My only complaint is camera angles: sometimes when you are near walls, the camera is difficult to control. But, that aside, this is a very enjoyable game. I only hope they make a sequel.
  5. nick
    Jun 11, 2009
    What was a pleasant beginning got taken out and taken back after just two hours due to getting utterly fed up from the laziest camera ever seen in a 3d game. Prepare to get constantly hit by unseen enemies (on a par with Death Jr...shudder) and stuck in holes you can't see the way out of.
  6. Jun 1, 2011
    As a veteran platform player Mushroom Men was a bit on the easy side for me. While the game does mix it up greatly with the use of the psychic powers the is still pretty short. The style is great, the music is fitting, some of the levels are well designed (a map would have been nice) and the characters were pretty silly and the weapons were cool. You get the sense that this was a fun gameAs a veteran platform player Mushroom Men was a bit on the easy side for me. While the game does mix it up greatly with the use of the psychic powers the is still pretty short. The style is great, the music is fitting, some of the levels are well designed (a map would have been nice) and the characters were pretty silly and the weapons were cool. You get the sense that this was a fun game to work on.
    A few things wrong, besides the short length, were that everything you can pick up with your psychic powers feels like a cardboard box. You don't sense the weight of the heavier objects. The camera was pretty finicky, which most 3D platformers also suffer from. A lock on targeting system would be have awesome for this game. Level lay out can be confusing at times as well. Sometimes there so much detail in a level you just get lost trying to find the next platform to jump to.
    Overall, a fun short game, great for a rental or for cheap in the discount bins. Older gamers may find it too easy, but it's whatever. Support the independent guys.
  7. Feb 6, 2015
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game, it is actually quite fun. The art-style is great, and makes for a pretty impressive-looking game, with a great sense of humour.

Some of the aspects that made this game such a fun adventure game, is that the little mushroom fella you play as, combines some of these different items he finds thoughtout the world to make weapons of them. Like a razor blade, a piece of sticky gum, and maybe a match-stick. And he uses these weapons to defeat enemies, which usually are rats, bugs etc.

The game is pretty short, about 7 hours in my experience, but you'll have fun most of the time, which is what is most important, Imo. I don't think there are many copies of this game lying around, so pick it up if you come by it, it is usually pretty cheap.

A truly unique, and fun platform/adventure game, which defintitely is worth playing for the price it usually goes for.
  8. Jun 3, 2015
    This game is definitely one of those hidden gems, that not many know about. I've seen countless reviews on this game but don't see them as being very fair, so I decided to write one and see if I can highlight every aspect.

To begin, I would like to mention that this is definitely a game that is enjoyable for many hours and does pose a challenge. It's not too hard and not too easy. I honestly love the visuals, sure the graphics are kind of out dated, even for a late 2008 game, but they still caught my eye. The way everything was so dark and gloomy is not something you see in a "Plat Former" these days.

The element of having to collect items to be able to build a better weapon was fun, and made it that much better to explore so you could find these Items. It also brought something new to the plat forming genre that hasn't been seen too often. Trying to figure out what you have to do in some parts was good, challenging and made advancing through the game rewarding.

I also loved the fact that you were very little, and all the environments you go through range from backyards, to people's bathrooms. It added a nice little warm feeling to it. The game its self wasn't too short, but not overly long either, which in my opinion was good.

Unfortunately this game is full of things that stop it from being a perfect hidden gem. From horrible camera
    angles and "glitchy" game play.

For the first few hours the game was fine, and it's such a blast, it felt like a mixture between Conkers Bad Fur Day and Banjo Kazooie for me, that is until I got further into the game. The frustration started to rise. Terrible hit detection was one thing that I could not stomach, this was possibly one of the most frustrating things in the game. An enemy could hit you meters away from your vicinity, when your hits would sometimes not register at all.

Platforming was made increasingly difficult with the "slippery" like ground. You think you've made the landing perfectly, only to slip off lots and lots of objects straight back to the ground. This got frustrating very quickly.

Enemies were boring and not very thought out, same goes for the boss fights, it was more tedious than anything, and the challenge didn't come from the enemies being hard, it came from the sloppy hit detection and the unimaginative combat.

I could honestly go on about the things that let this game down, but that's a hand full of things that make it good and make it not so good. I can see why this game didn't perform so well, how ever it definitely is a hidden gem and is quite fun and enjoyable. If you're looking for a game to pass some time, then I definitely recommend this game.
  9. Jun 12, 2015
    Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars is an indie title featuring charming graphics, innovative level design and an inspiring world to explore. The soundtrack is done amazingly by none other than Les Claypool and its a game definitely worth purchasing if you have a Wii, albeit a short game length and some other minor issues.

Now for the details: Meteorites fall from the sky, giving

Now for the details: Meteorites fall from the sky, giving consciousness to the most unlikely of things. You play as Pax, a Bolete mushroom wandering the world to find meaning in his life, until he comes across a piece of the meteorite and absorbs it. He then ventures forth into the world, exploring the depths of nature.

It's during these exploration periods in which the game shines most. Though the levels are somewhat linear, there is still a sense of voluntary discovery. This is amplified by the various other meteorites spread throughout the game that serve as interesting collectables. There is a decent amount of platforming to be done, but it doesn't feel so generated like in other takes on the genre.

The graphics look beautiful for the Wii; they really make you believe Pax's journey, but things can get very dark and gloomy at times, so remember to keep the lights on. Les Claypool's previously mentioned compositions fit the scenery well and make the dark aesthetics really pop while you're playing it.

There is no auto-camera; you have to move it yourself. This title didn't have an AAA-sized budget so expect to see some nontraditional (and occasionally sloppy) HUD for the options. Combat is a bit simplistic as well, but all of this is more than compensated by the amount of love that went into this title.

In a nutshell, this game is a hidden gem with a couple of flaws, but keep your mind open, and soon you'll find yourself with one satisfying experience. The price on Amazon is pretty good too…

#39 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#32 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. It'd have a Gold Award but for the camera. That aside, it's pretty wonderful. [Dec 2008, p.75]
  2. Nintendo Power
    If you're hungry for some classic 3-D platforming, Mushroom men is definitely worth checking out. [Holiday 2008, p.84]
  3. Even in this realm of sub-average platformers, you have several better options than Mushroom Men. [Dec 2008, p.124]