NBA Jam Wii

8.5

1. Oct 6, 2010
    I feel saddened by the step backwards this promising title has taken. I am one of the lucky ones that had the pleasure to revel in this games splendor the first time round...Sadly this version takes a disappointing step backwards. For a start some of the things i remember being great from the original are lacking NOTICEABLY! The old campaign mode worked a season towards a playoff scenarioI feel saddened by the step backwards this promising title has taken. I am one of the lucky ones that had the pleasure to revel in this games splendor the first time round...Sadly this version takes a disappointing step backwards. For a start some of the things i remember being great from the original are lacking NOTICEABLY! The old campaign mode worked a season towards a playoff scenario style table. This....just pits you against all the times one after the other with a lack of home games. I also seem to remember a stack load more stats to check yourself out on per game, again lacking. Also you used to be rewarded with player of the match....REALLY the wii version couldn't fit these features on the disc. Also repetitive music, for crying out loud, change the bloomin track, is a wii disc really smaller than a SNES cart in capacity (sarcastic by the way!). In fact as small as the space was on the SNES game you were treated to half time shows (video reel clips) and quarterly stats, all again missing from this wii version. Finally the old game seemed to have at least 4x the amount of unlockable players (will hold my breath on this as its early still and "special" ways to unlock others may crawl out the woodwork). All in all, for me anyways, some of the features that made this series great are missing and this is completely unacceptable especially for the price tag. Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2010
    NBA Jam 2010 has that glitter of an arcade basketball shootout and has stayed true to their roots. However, I find the lack of control options to be intolerable. I don't want to use the nunchuck and I shouldn't have to for a game as simple as this. So I decided to use my classic controller. This is where Nintendo really lost me as a fan of the franchise; the original NBA Jam let you mapNBA Jam 2010 has that glitter of an arcade basketball shootout and has stayed true to their roots. However, I find the lack of control options to be intolerable. I don't want to use the nunchuck and I shouldn't have to for a game as simple as this. So I decided to use my classic controller. This is where Nintendo really lost me as a fan of the franchise; the original NBA Jam let you map buttons on the controls to your liking. Here, they are chosen for you. And whoever chose these controls should get fired. Only one of the Z buttons acts as turbo, meaning the L and R buttons that I'm used to, do Nothing. Each of the buttons you need to press in the Camp are for using the Nunchuck and it isn't smart enough to know you are using the classic controller, so you have to figure it out on your own. I shouldn't have to say this, but it's 2010 people, give us options and when you think we have enough options for gameplay give us More! What's worse is they took out the Team Member Tag option, so you are Forced to play with the AI on your team! So now I'm having to tell him what to do all the time and it doesn't always work out and in turn, I don't have complete control of the game like I used to. The other game modes are nice and do add some more depth to the game. 7/10; Disappointing and I stopped playing it after I logged about 5 hours. Expand

#38 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#50 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. games(TM)
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yes, it's simple, and a classic example of style over substance, but NBA Jam is also a huge amount of fun, and a great example of a developer actually realising what made a franchise so popular in the first place and building it into something far greater. [Christmas 2010, p.118]
    Even though the original NBA Jam is 17 years old, and the formula hasn't changed much since then, EA's latest revival seems surprisingly fresh and has an irresistible playability. The controls are simple enough that you'll know them by heart within minutes, the graphics are fun, and the commentator has so many one-liners that you can't help but get a smile on your face. Boomshakalaka!
  3. Jan 5, 2011
    NBA Jam is as much fun as fifteen years ago. It's a missed opportunity that EA hasn't brought the game to modern times, however, as the lack of options like an online mode would have greatly expanded the replayability.