NBA Live 08 Wii

7.1

1. EthanR.
    Oct 6, 2007
    I couldn't wait for a basketball game on wii. Now that one is out here's the deal. It's not perfect but it's good. Gamespot is completely insane for giving this game a 3. The visuals are great for a wii game. I don't know what gamespot was smoking when they rated this game. The controls arn't perfect but they're not bad. The crossover's useless but I couldn't wait for a basketball game on wii. Now that one is out here's the deal. It's not perfect but it's good. Gamespot is completely insane for giving this game a 3. The visuals are great for a wii game. I don't know what gamespot was smoking when they rated this game. The controls arn't perfect but they're not bad. The crossover's useless but the shots and steals and stuff isn't bad. Gamespot says that every shot goes in but if you actually play the game you'll notice difficulties. And it's almost impossible to score if u have it on superstar. The dunk contest is fun. I'm having lots of fun with this game. Is it worth a buy?? I don't know but it is definatelu worth a rent. So don't listen to the extremely high gamespot. Expand
  2. IkarosDD
    Oct 7, 2007
    Very simple to play. Game control back to basics. Graphics are not good but game-play pay off
  3. sol1n6O
    Jan 1, 2009
    I agree. It's not THAT bad! These reviewers are really extreme!

The motion controls are actually quite good. I do find the graphics pretty poor (more like ps2 or even worse). Otherwise game play is pretty good. What's up with the 0 score from wiire (??)

Suggest you rent this firstl. Don't know of any other better basketball games out there for the wii.
  4. BryanM.
    Dec 10, 2007
    This is a good first try for EA. the wii is pritty hard to make a perffect sports game. the good things of this game is the shotting is really great just like real life, and the graphics are good for a game on the Wii I was very impreset. the three point shooter and most of the all star week stuff was also good. now the bad things, there is no turbo so it seems like you are as slow as a This is a good first try for EA. the wii is pritty hard to make a perffect sports game. the good things of this game is the shotting is really great just like real life, and the graphics are good for a game on the Wii I was very impreset. the three point shooter and most of the all star week stuff was also good. now the bad things, there is no turbo so it seems like you are as slow as a snail, it is very hard to steal the ball that instead of stealing you make a foul so you will most likely foul out, in the all star game they have last years players so you can not pick who you want on the team, and they are on old teams. and the dunk contest is so sentitive it almost make it imposible to stand. if you do not have another system then nba live 08 for the Wii is your choice. the good thing for Live is this is the 2nd best LIVE game next to the ps2 version, but that could be a bad thing! this is not even worth a rental. Expand
    Oct 4, 2007
    Absolutely atrocious. When EA reps announced that they would be taking NBA Live '08 back to basics, I'm not sure this is what we had in mind. The lack of a turbo button, and the absence of freestyle dribbling (beyond a basic crossover) -- how could they have left out those basic elements? The waggle controls are hit and miss. Raise and forward-flick the wiimote for a jumpshot is Absolutely atrocious. When EA reps announced that they would be taking NBA Live '08 back to basics, I'm not sure this is what we had in mind. The lack of a turbo button, and the absence of freestyle dribbling (beyond a basic crossover) -- how could they have left out those basic elements? The waggle controls are hit and miss. Raise and forward-flick the wiimote for a jumpshot is spotty, as the player does not always jump on demand. In addition, recognition of the three point line seems off -- i need to shoot from at least a foot or two back of the line to register a three. Dunking by flicking the wiimote left-right (when your player indicator turns green, signalling your basket proximitiy for dunking) is slightly satisfying, they come down pretty hard and vicious. On defense, the lack of turbo really hurts, and you end up riding and leaning against the offensive player, while he still makes his way diagonally towards the basket. Going for a block is absolutely awful, again, with similar up-waggle sensitivity issues. The lack of a franchise/dynasty mode was also quite disappointing. As a positive, "directional" direct passing with the crosspad was fairly intuitive. the freethrow mechanics was clever -- you are required to perform a soft shooting motion with the right pace/force. Shoot/flick too quickly and you'll overpower the freethrow, too slowly and you will hit the front rim. I wonder if allowing for an alternate dual analog (either GC or Classic) controller may have solved some of the issues (with the additional analogs/buttons allowing for mapping of turbo/freestyle/non-waggle). I need a basketball game to play on the Wii, but I might just need to go back to playing NBA Live 06 on the PC, which was a much more polished product in terms of gameplay and control. Expand
  6. AnonymousMC
    Oct 5, 2007
    Complete and utter garbage. No Sprint, one useless dribble move, no jab steps, no pump fakes, no dynasty mode, awkward controls. Overall, this game is a waste of time to even bother playing, as it is impossible to enjoy. The controls are terrible. Half the time the game will not register your movements at all, and when it does, it will often register the wrong movement, so you will throwComplete and utter garbage. No Sprint, one useless dribble move, no jab steps, no pump fakes, no dynasty mode, awkward controls. Overall, this game is a waste of time to even bother playing, as it is impossible to enjoy. The controls are terrible. Half the time the game will not register your movements at all, and when it does, it will often register the wrong movement, so you will throw up an ugly looking layup attempt from beyond the three point line. The ONE dribble move you can use in the game is an ineffectual crossover, which is supposedly performed using the nunchuk. However, the game rarely registers your movement, and even when it does, the crossover never frees up a player. Shooting is not intuitive at all. In order to shoot, you must flick up and then down, and the process feels nothing like an actual shot. No turbo means that even with 5 seconds left in a quarter, you must jog up the court and then hope the game registers your shot movement. No dynasty mode makes it all that much worse, as all the fun of being a GM is gone, which would have been this game's only chance of being enjoyable. The most irritating thing is the fact that the computer can and does use spin moves, pump fakes, ball fakes, and jab steps quite regularly. Also, there is absolutely no defence against a dunker at all, but a Dirk Nowitzki fade away gets blocked regularly by players much smaller and less athletic. At harder difficulties, it is impossible to stop a shot, as the CPU almost always makes every shot. It is as if EA thought "how can we drive the most people to the Xbox".
    Don't buy this game, you will find yourself regretting it, and it even may make you wish you hadn't bought a Wii.
  7. PhillipV.
    Oct 6, 2007
    All these scathing reviews that NBA Live 08 are totall BS. Seriously 30 out of 100? It was not the best NBA game ever(not even close) but it was'nt all that bad. Sure the game mechaniques are a little mesesed but thats pretty well all thats wrong with it.
  8. AnonymousMC
    Oct 8, 2007
    My son (10) and I really enjoy playing NBA Live 08. Neither of us are hard core gamers, so the simpified controls work well for us. We wanted a basketball game that was simple to learn/play, but still fun. We found what we were looking for in this game.
  9. RF.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Far from perfect but still much better than most reviews. Controls are very responsive -- I have no idea of what some reviewers are talking about -- and the game play feels like the real thing. Some campaign options are lacking but then, I like basketball but I don't care for the NBA tourney.
  10. RajeshS.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Clunky motion, no turbo, slow play make this a game you'll get bored of quickly.
  11. Dec 2, 2012
    I don't typically play sports games, but this was a gift so I figured why not. I was pleasently surprised to fin d that the game is simple to learn and very playable. I do think that it could have uses some more content, and that the family play mode, which is supposed to alow anyone of any age to play, is stupid nexause your basically just watching the game play itself, but it will trickI don't typically play sports games, but this was a gift so I figured why not. I was pleasently surprised to fin d that the game is simple to learn and very playable. I do think that it could have uses some more content, and that the family play mode, which is supposed to alow anyone of any age to play, is stupid nexause your basically just watching the game play itself, but it will trick youngsters into thinking their actually good at the game while they shake the controller like maniacs. If you enjoy the game or not will depend on how much you like basketball. As for me, someone who doesn't really like basketball or sports games, I did enjoy the game, but probably won't return to it much if at all. Expand

#55 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007

1. Hardcore hoopsters will likely scoff at the lack of full-body control that awaits, but there's no doubt that EA has done a pretty decent job making a square peg fit in a round hole; heck, getting any basketball game to work with the Wii controls is an accomplishment.
  2. NBA Live's first appearance on the Wii is a complete disaster.
    NBA Live 08 is EA’s weakest attempt on Wii thus far, hands down. It lacks the polish, depth, or passion of any of the other motion projects had, removing full modes and options of the other console versions while also skipping on any of the expected Wii additions.