8.3

1. Oct 5, 2010
    When the only negative reviews are saying "It's too hard"..you know it's really really good Mario. This is the best 2D platformer of the 00's. It is a joy to play and I can't recommend it enough. 16 million and going..the game is a blast!. Deserves a A+ for the brilliant gameplay. I love the graphics, esp. the enemies and Mario's animations. The Koopalings are back from Mario 3 and Mario World. Just buy it..lol. Expand
  2. Nov 26, 2010
    Possibly the worst game ever played. To say the controls are sluggish would be the understatement of the year. It isn't that the game itself is hard in design, it is on par with other fun 2D mario games, however the developers went way over the top with handicapping the player with slow, laggy movements. You might as well be trying to play this game with mittens on.
  3. Mar 27, 2011
    The game is unoriginal and way too difficult, and not difficult as in challenging, but rather difficult as in cheap. Really easy to die and when you do die you usually lose a lot of progress, and playing the game with other people is borderline impossible thanks to the bizarre decision on the part of the developers to make characters wildly bounce off each other. Also, the music is absolutely awful, every song has this one horrendous sound effect used constantly. The gameplay is decent enough when it isn't frustrating but those moments are few and far between. I would recommend taking a pass on this one. Expand
  4. Sep 28, 2011
    Yeah, this game was kinda fun but we've seen it before - made better. How can Nintendo have so few ideas about how to make good games today? Inferior to Super Mario World in every way possible. This game tries to be Super Mario Bros 3/Super Mario Wold and really doesn't make it. Sometimes it reminds me of the good old games, but it always feels like a copy. Even the name is a copy - New Super Mario Bros..?? What's up with that? "Yeah it's the old game.. only new! But without any new ideas!" .. that's so cheap. The power-ups are gimicky and boring and the feature where you can play as up to four players at the same time is just frustrating. You end up killing eachother all the time which sucks. And why can't you play this game with the classic controller? It would have been perfect for that retro feel, but no. You have to hold the Wiimote sideways, which is uncomfortable and annoying. So this is definately the best Mario game since Super Mario World, but that doesn't really say much, does it? Expand
  5. Apr 5, 2012
    This is the best episode of Mario I played. Can play a lot of people and the story mode and more successful, the proper graphics and gameplay is really correct. For me, it's Mario is the best all of Mario.
  6. Fix
    Jun 21, 2012
    You can play this game at your own pace. If you're just into racing to Bowser, you can do that. But, if you're looking for a serious challenge, the 3 coins in every stage are going to take a lot of patience, skill, luck, and time. This has been the first Mario game that I've felt I don't have the skills to finish 100% completion. My only complaint about this game is the gimmicky motion control for the spin jump. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally shook the controller during an intense moment, thus activating the spin jump at the worst time possible. I don't throw my arms around when I play either, it's just very sensitive. I would give 10 stars if the shaking of the controller action was mapped differently or it supported a classic controller. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2012
    Not too much to say about New Super Mario Bros. It's a solid, perfectly designed 2D platform game, but without being truly exceptional. The difficulty is higher than any Mario game I have played in the past and it can be off-putting at times. That said, challenge is an essential component for this type of game, so I guess you just need to man up or shut up. My main problem for this game is that it lacks the 'x element' that made past 2D Mario games top of their class and essential purchases. It's not something specific that I can put my finger on, but it definitely effects my feelings towards this game. I just don't hold this title in the same regard as, say, Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros 3. Expand
  8. Jun 4, 2011
    Simply put, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is another great addition to the shelf of great Mario games. The graphics are sharp, the music is catchy, and the Koopalings are back! The return of the Koopalings is the best part of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Each of them have their own unique personalities and they all make for great bosses. As for the levels, they are creative and full of new ideas. The game also has a multiplayer mode...but that's where it falls flat. Characters can bounce off of each others heads, and the levels start to feel very cramped in multiplayer. There is also not a lot of item variety, and when a Nunchuk is plugged in, the on-screen directions still act as if the Nunchuk is not plugged in. This confused me in the beginning. On the plus side again, the 3 Star Coins hidden in each level mean that New Super Mario Bros. Wii will keep gamers entertained for a long time. So, overall, I'd say that New Super Mario Bros. Wii rules as a Mario game, and it is certainly worth buying if you're a Mario fan. Collapse
  9. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is about Mario the main player (which you play if player one) and you have to save the princess, Mario
  10. Dec 11, 2013
    This game pays tribute to former games glory, difficulty, and story. Actually, that was it's only downside, the fact that I knew Bowser was gonna pull his same old trick. But, then, the game absorbed me into fun levels, new power-ups and enemies, and Toad houses to win 1-Ups, Power-ups, and Star Powers in every world.
  11. Jul 3, 2011
    New Super Mario Bros Wii has brought Mario back to consoles for the first time in many years. The game is worse than it's DS counterpart that was made two years ago. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy this game, but always in the back of my mind I was thinking "man this is like a bad version of the DS Mario." This game does improve the power ups and swimming portions of Mario games (plus if you like a challenge you will find it here), but the controls are not as tight as its DS version, and the graphics aren't improved at all. I love good 2D games that are original, and while Mario Wii does fit the first part, it falls short of being original. Expand
  12. Aug 23, 2010
    While the single player is dissapointing, it's very un ambitous and has few good ideas, the multiplayer is a as much fun as any Mario title. The DS game is arguably better, with more imaginative levels, the latest console 2D Mario game is dissapoiting, but still a solid and good platform game, and has some of the best multiplayer co-op action on Wii, only beaten by the likes of Monster Hunter 3.
  13. Sep 6, 2010
    An impressive game with a variety of co-op game play. Not exactly up there with Mario bros for the DS, and can get very Frustrating at times when falling or dying at the last bit of the game. I do think the items you can save for later levels is a good idea. All in all an above average game but isn't the best Mario game ive ever played.
  14. Sep 29, 2010
    I waited for a new 2D Super Mario Bros. on a home console since the Super Nintendo. First of all, considered me disappointed that Nintendo made the game too safe as it lacks features that Nintendo knows it needed to be in it. Online play, more characters and overall more variety. Aside from that, this game is a complete throwback to the NES and SNES Super Mario games, adding to its nostalgia factor. The gameplay is tight as any other 2D Mario game and also the most difficult since Super Mario Bros. 3. It is recommended to your Wii collection. Expand
  15. Oct 7, 2010
    I was really excited for this game, but just in case it was gonna be crap I rented it. I was pretty happy I rented It cause I beat it in like 3 days, but thats how addicting it was. For hours I just played by myself in my basement. Its not better then new super mario bros. DS though.
  16. Oct 7, 2010
    Fantastic! New Super Mario Bros. Wii takes all the great things about previous side scrolling Mario games and makes it even better. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a great party game. It starts out easy and builds up the difficulty from world to world. I hope there is a second Mario Bros. Wii game.
  17. Nov 2, 2010
    This is arguably one of the best mario games ever! It has great graphics and music, simple controls, brilliant solo player and hectic multiplayer. Its a essential game for any wii owner.
  18. Oct 16, 2010
    This is the best game I've ever gotten for the wii. I really don't understand all those negative reviews. the multiplayer is awesome and putting the two toads as playable characters was a nice touch. Nintendo, you've done it again!!!
  19. Oct 19, 2010
    This game is all about fun. It doesn't provide too much challenge, but the multiplayer in itself is enough difficulty. It gets very hectic when four players are trying to accurately time jumps, meaning usually at least one of them will get accidentlly (or purposely) stomped down the pit. The game gives the tools to mess up other players, such as picking them up and then throwing them. The new suits, propeller and penguin, work well also. Very much worth it, but prepare for craziness. Expand
  20. Oct 29, 2010
    NSMBW is the second best Mario game I have seen and one of the best choices on family/single gaming I have ever had the pleasure of playing! All the new costumes, plus the bosses, plus the numerous new levels with the flagpole at the end, means the best 2D plat-former I have played.
  21. Nov 15, 2011
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii is one of the best game on the Nintendo Wii. Yes, it's another 2D Mario platformer, but what's wrong with that? The game adds new spice to the old Mario platforming and with the addition of a fan and frantic 4 player multiplayer, with every stage you visit playable, it's well worth the money.
  22. Nov 12, 2010
    Fantastic fun game, 100% quality execution as you would expect from Nintendo, but so hard and unforgiving, much like arcade games of old! This game will annoy the hell out of you but keep you coming back for more. Unfortunately for the younger kids this will be way too hard.
    Took of 1 score for being too hard! ;)
  23. Dec 29, 2010
    This is a good Mario platformer with some good ideas incorporated into it. However, I wouldn't say it was up there with Mario finest moments. I feel it suffers from an identity crisis from it's DS cousin, even though, by the way, it's all new levels with new ideas incorporated into it. It's also annoying to see Yoshi not being used that much. You won't see him in much more than one or two levels per world if you're lucky. However, the boss fights are brilliant. I love battling Koopa Kids, and the final Bowser boss fight has to be up their with the best boss fights in a Mario platformer. It also has good graphics for a Wii game, and multiplayer is a good laugh with your mates, expect havoc to break loose then. The controls, in my opinon, were a brilliant fit and worked really well in my experience. Overall, a good Mario adventure and a game you must own on the Wii, even if it isn't the finest of Mario's adventures. Expand
  24. Nov 16, 2010
    I am not going to be noobish and claim I gave this game a 6 because it is too hard. Sure, this game is frustrating in places, but that is not the reason for my condemnation of it.
    My main problem with NSMB Wii is that it is just too much of the same. Some levels (especially those early in World 1) look like they have been lifted straight out of NSMB on the DS, and the general feel of the
    game doesn't feel revolutionary and fresh like the Galaxy games. The only gameplay element I will seek to praise here is the addition of the Koopa Kids, Bowser's 7 'other' children - they add variety to the game, though sadly not as much as the varied and interesting bosses of NSMB DS.
    I will agree some levels in this game are frustrating (particularly some of those in World 2 which had me literally screaming at the TV), but thankfully this game is not as easy as the cakewalk of the DS prequel.
    All in all, an OK game, but for something truly special and/or revolutionary, reach for Mario's 3D Wii cousins rather than this slightly lacklustre 2D edition.
  25. Jan 5, 2012
    Same old super mario bros, still quite fun. My only gripe is that its repetitive, and I just think repetition sucks in most cases. This version is harder than all the previous versions of the game that Ive played, which in most cases makes in more fun. Its rare to be totally challenged in a mario game for me, but this one did it. I liked this game.
  26. Oct 15, 2011
    A little hard at first but you get used to it. The thing that i think they tried to do was try and remind you of early days while still trying to be new and modern, but it doesn't remind me of the early marios. Its insanely fun though, i highly recommend it to people who love platforming, and multiplayer games. I truly loved this game and had a great time.
  27. Feb 1, 2011
    This game has absolutely no right to exist. I've played it 100 times before. Even with some creative new levels, and enjoyable moments it can't stop me from feeling like Nintendo has been milking the same game for far to long. I love Mario games don't get me wrong, Galaxies 2 is one of the finest 3d platformers I know, this is because it does things I haven't seen before. This game on the other hand is the SAME THING I played on the nes, snes, and every other system. Pure nostalgia is the only reason this game is so favorably reviewed. Is it bad? No it's not. Great? Hell No. Expand
  28. Dec 9, 2011
    I would not recommend this game to long time Mario fans. If you play Mario 3 and Super Mario World a lot, I doubt you would like this. In SMB3 and World, Mario is very quick, light, and agile. In this game he is very slow and clunky, and he can't even turn around properly. The stages are pretty bland and it was like they used this new, slower Mario as a way of justifying that. I'm not saying the game shouldn't be set relative to its own mechanics but in SMB3 and World, you had to be quick. The fast-pacedness was what kept the games fun and NSMBW took that away from the Mario series. Expand
  29. May 17, 2011
    This is one of my all time favorite Mario games but I find it hard yes but it is fun! Another Gripe I have is I can't play as Luigi. I also think the Multiplayer isn't great. I'd say stick to the Single Player Mode.
  30. Jul 3, 2011
    This game brings out the old tradition mechanics of Super Mario Bros. But I feel this game to be too difficult for an actual family to enjoy together (i've had ugly experiences with it.). Good game, just not made for the family.
  31. Jun 4, 2011

1. Enjoying Mario in the genre that saw him born is always a great pleasure, even if you are not a fan of the platform titles. Nintendo returns to its specialty: to offer hours and hours of fun by giving us games with their own personality and a shellproof gameplay.
    That sense of cohesiveness isn't always present in New Super Mario Bros. and it makes for an uneven experience that's difficult to score.
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii is an excellent game with friends, and I had a great deal of challenging fun with the solo mode. But if you’re looking for a new Mario adventure that’s tailored to creating the maximum amount of fun for just one person, you’ll have to wait for next year’s Super Mario Galaxy 2.