NHL 2K9 Wii

5.4

1. JTrot
    Jan 11, 2009
    Worst!!! Horrid game play. I challenge anyone to even see the net at the far end of the ice as the only view you get is basically behind your own goal. You will often accidentally hit the 1 button when you shoot which switches you to Goalie mode. Just horrid horrid gameplay. First game I bought and will trade in as soon as possible. Graphically it is a joke. Sure, pregameWorst!!! Horrid game play. I challenge anyone to even see the net at the far end of the ice as the only view you get is basically behind your own goal. You will often accidentally hit the 1 button when you shoot which switches you to Goalie mode. Just horrid horrid gameplay. First game I bought and will trade in as soon as possible. Graphically it is a joke. Sure, pregame looks awesome but gets tiresome. No one can read the players team lists as the fonts are tiny. The fighting is terrible.... by the time you have mastered how to use both controllers to (a) stay on your skates and (b) actually throw a punch, you'll already be in the playoffs... impossible to learn to fight! I played Team Canada vs Team Belarus and they still beat me and I've owed every hockey sim EA Sports has put out. Wait for an EA SPORTS version.... this one get a game misconduct. Expand
  2. JoelSmith
    Sep 11, 2008
    Awful game. I assumed that the wii version would be modified in a way that made it work and be fun with the limitations of the wii. What they did was simply take an existing version, which runs on powerful gaming consoles, and force it to try and work on the wii. They failed miserably. What a waste of $50. Honestly, I had to force myself to try and finish a few complete games. Sadly, theAwful game. I assumed that the wii version would be modified in a way that made it work and be fun with the limitations of the wii. What they did was simply take an existing version, which runs on powerful gaming consoles, and force it to try and work on the wii. They failed miserably. What a waste of $50. Honestly, I had to force myself to try and finish a few complete games. Sadly, the only part that is any fun is the Zamboni mini game (unfortunately you can only get to it after playing a fulll period of a game - how ironic!) Expand
  3. brock
    Sep 12, 2008
    This game is broken. The gameplay is fun, but only for as long as you can overlook the fact that the graphics are worse than games made 5 years ago, the commentary is plainly stupid, the text on the screen is too small to read, the motion controls are annoying, unintuitive, and CANNOT be changed or adjusted, the menus are difficult to navigate, the controller responsiveness feels clunky,This game is broken. The gameplay is fun, but only for as long as you can overlook the fact that the graphics are worse than games made 5 years ago, the commentary is plainly stupid, the text on the screen is too small to read, the motion controls are annoying, unintuitive, and CANNOT be changed or adjusted, the menus are difficult to navigate, the controller responsiveness feels clunky, and the player faces appear to be random and generic.
    But hey, if you can get past that, then you'll really enjoy the half-decent gameplay.
  4. ricobob
    Sep 19, 2008
    This is the worst hockey game I have ever played. I have an hard time finishing one game. The graphics were better on gamecube and it's something I can not understand.
    I think I will sell my Wii now.
    I tried nhl 09 on ps3 and it's 10 times better on all department. Now for the analysis: Gameplay is bad. It's basically impossible to prevent the player from shooting
    I think I will sell my Wii now.

I tried nhl 09 on ps3 and it's 10 times better on all department.

Now for the analysis:
    Gameplay is bad. It's basically impossible to prevent the player from shooting and the game is mostly rush + shot opposite team rush + shot. The controls are interesting but they lack depth and they surely don't make up for everything bad in this game.
    Graphic is the biggest flaw of this game. It looks very very much terrible. NHL 2k6 on Xbox had way better visuals. You would expect a next gen game to look better than the previous one. But that doesn't apply here. Even the nhl games on gamecube looked better.
    The Wii is much more closer to the ps2 than it is to the ps3. The game library attests it with ps2 remakes like Okami and Resident evil 4, that are both on the Wii top ten rating, minds you.

The all time best hockey games goes like this for me:
    NHL 09
    NHL 94 (snes)
    Ice hockey (nintendo)

#42 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#75 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

2K has the right idea here, including motion shooting, IR passing, and motion-based goaltending, but the core game is just too much of a rushed effort, and the final product is a visually unpleasant, choppy, incomplete package.
  2. It’s just too bad that it looks so darned ugly. The controls are a breath of fresh air, though, so long as you give them a chance (which we have a feeling too many people won’t).
  3. NHL 2K9 for the Wii disappoints in the graphical department as it cannot compete with its competitors in terms of visual appeal. However, the hands-on controls more than make up for this by adding a sense of actually being in the game and not just sitting on the couch playing the game