9.0

1. Sep 24, 2014
    The best video game in the last decade. Period.
    The best video game in the last decade. Period.
    Okami does the impossible, matching Ocarina of TIme stride for stride to become the second greatest game ever made. There is not a single fault in this game and as I made my way through I wondered to myself if we would ever see something as amazing as this ever again. There were 8 years between Ocarina and Okami, so maybe something great will be coming soon.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    I absolutely LOVE this game! the Japanese mythology is great for a storyline, and stays true to the source material. the art style makes it look like you're playing a japanese painting. not to mention Amaterasu is a complete badass. she rips through enemies like they were nothing, and is extremely agile. she has a wide variety of abilities, including double jumps, the ability to sprint,I absolutely LOVE this game! the Japanese mythology is great for a storyline, and stays true to the source material. the art style makes it look like you're playing a japanese painting. not to mention Amaterasu is a complete badass. she rips through enemies like they were nothing, and is extremely agile. she has a wide variety of abilities, including double jumps, the ability to sprint, and the brush techniques which lend her the power of the other gods. also, issun (the help character) is a lot less annoying than navi. (even though i'm patient and it doesn't really bother me) Expand
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    Great game, graphics are beautifully painted, gameplay is solid and I have fallen in love with the games amazing characters, and the story is very interesting neat and interesting, Very solid and a must buy.
  4. Jul 22, 2013
    I feel my previous review was unsatisfactory so here we go. When I played this game the first time, I didn't think it was anything special. But when I decided to replay it, it quickly became one of my favourite games of all time! Everything about this game is amazing: the art-style, the music (which is probably my favourite aspect of the game!), the areas, the characters being some of myI feel my previous review was unsatisfactory so here we go. When I played this game the first time, I didn't think it was anything special. But when I decided to replay it, it quickly became one of my favourite games of all time! Everything about this game is amazing: the art-style, the music (which is probably my favourite aspect of the game!), the areas, the characters being some of my most memorable, the storyline, the main character(wolves are my favourite animal after playing this game!), the mythology behind this game, the powers (climbing up walls? HELL YEAH! Slowing down the very fabric of time!? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!), the sidequests and the overall attention to detail. While the Celestial Brush can be a bit finicky, it really isn't that big of an issue of a truly AMAZING game! Witness the magic of Okami yourself by playing it on PS2, Wii or the PS3 HD version! Expand
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    Okami is a very creative and enjoyable game. The graphics are gorgeous, the music is amazing, and the game's creativity never fails to impress. The use of brush techniques (especially with the wii-mote) is intuitive and responsive. At times, it can get a little repetitive, however this occurs very rarely.
    It's a very fresh and creative game worthy of anyone's time.
  6. May 8, 2013
    Okami is a amazing game, The gameplay is alot of fun, The characters are memorable, The visuals are breathtaking, The soundtrack is great, And it is better than any Zelda game released on the Nintendo Wii. That's sad by the way Nintendo..., The clone of a Zelda game is better than both Zelda games on your console...) It's an amazing experience, I recomend it to anyone that likes adventure games
  7. Apr 7, 2013
    Let me get one thing straight. I LOVE OKAMI!!! the game is great its a perfect 10 on any other console BUT the Wii. Get it it for the PS2 or the HD version for the PS3 or any other console that lets you use a controller and not some thing like the Wiimote. The Wiimote just kills this game and makes it virtually unplayable This game is not ment toi be played with a motion controller
  8. Nov 5, 2012
    This is, without a doubt, the greatest game I've ever played. Basically it takes what made Zelda: Ocarina of Time so great and makes it ten times better, longer and much more charming. Story, graphics and sound are al perfect. Game-play is near perfect (The Celestial Brush is sometimes unresponsive, but that's more a problem with the Wii Remote more than anything else). It's an absoluteThis is, without a doubt, the greatest game I've ever played. Basically it takes what made Zelda: Ocarina of Time so great and makes it ten times better, longer and much more charming. Story, graphics and sound are al perfect. Game-play is near perfect (The Celestial Brush is sometimes unresponsive, but that's more a problem with the Wii Remote more than anything else). It's an absolute joy to play, with loads of side quests and hidden goodies. In a world full of realistic looking Call of Duties and FIFAs, this stands out from the crowd and it's an absolute shame that it sold so few copies. I can't recommend it enough. Buy this or the HD re-release on PS3. Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2012
    I don't really like Japanese designs, i don't really like Japanese cliches, but this game oh god you just have to play it, gorgeous and fun from start to finish, and off course Amaterasu is one of the best video game characters ever
  10. Jul 19, 2012
    Even three years after I originally got it, I'm still playing this game. It's an absolute masterpiece that shows that a game's art style is often more important than how realistic the grass looks. This game, I mean work of art, is absolutely amazing. The environments are beautiful and a wonder to behold, enemies are original and always fun to fight. Customization is, initially, ratherEven three years after I originally got it, I'm still playing this game. It's an absolute masterpiece that shows that a game's art style is often more important than how realistic the grass looks. This game, I mean work of art, is absolutely amazing. The environments are beautiful and a wonder to behold, enemies are original and always fun to fight. Customization is, initially, rather poor, but once you beat the game, it rewards you with tons more options based on how well you've done, an excellent system that most games forget: Don't stick a carrot in front of the players face and tell them to go from point A to point B. Hide the carrot and encourage the player to explore and become immersed in the beautiful world. This is a masterpiece that has gone sorely unappreciated in mainstream gaming media, and deserves far more attention than it has gotten. Expand
  11. Jul 17, 2012
    The paint brush controls, implemented with motion control, were for me at the time I picked this game up for dirt-cheap the best new thing I'd played in awhile. Probably the best experience I had with motion control games and I'd had a little bit of fun on both the Wii and Kinect. Oddly this game wasn't even made for the Wii originally but the new twist was welcome. It would be nice to seeThe paint brush controls, implemented with motion control, were for me at the time I picked this game up for dirt-cheap the best new thing I'd played in awhile. Probably the best experience I had with motion control games and I'd had a little bit of fun on both the Wii and Kinect. Oddly this game wasn't even made for the Wii originally but the new twist was welcome. It would be nice to see a follow-up to this game but even if there isn't one Okami will have a fond place in my gaming memory for a long time to come. Expand
  12. Jun 12, 2012
    I have a lot of good video game ideas be poorly executed, this however was a good idea with GREAT execution. The environment was stunning and the combat seemed more graceful than violent. This has been the best game I've played in some time.
  13. Mar 13, 2012
    ell as I first heard of this game being better than Zelda, I got very curious about it. But as much as I tried to love this game or even to like it I couldn't come along with it. I mean it has some cool gameplay mechanics and the graphics looks good (except for the washed-out effects which made my eyes going crazy !) but after only a couple of minutes it became repetitive and boring. Iell as I first heard of this game being better than Zelda, I got very curious about it. But as much as I tried to love this game or even to like it I couldn't come along with it. I mean it has some cool gameplay mechanics and the graphics looks good (except for the washed-out effects which made my eyes going crazy !) but after only a couple of minutes it became repetitive and boring. I cannot understand how many people can argue that this game is in some opinions even better than a Zelda game.
    I don't know, but for me this game shows us once more how high the bars of The Legend of Zelda franchise really are. Don't get me wrong, I like Okami (otherwise I never would gave it a 6) but to say that this game is at the same (or even higher) level as Zelda is downright wrong. It's a good game on its own..So don't compare it to Zelda...a franchise which now last over 25 years !!

Bottom line = Good Game with lots of very good aspects (gameplay, graphics and music), but after a while it gets repetitive and tyring. I would say give it a shot!
  14. Feb 13, 2012
    Okami may take some getting used to, but is a diverse adventure, full of power ups, stylized art and a clearly Japanese influence. Game play is long, but does not typically fill monotonous. I entered the game unsure of what to expect, and soon felt emerged into a world were the service I gave those around me seemed oddly fulfilling.

For the most part, the controls are fun to use and the

For the most part, the controls are fun to use and the game is enjoyable. I spent time testing the different ways I could jump, and getting my attacks timed for the most damage. However, the one thing that did disappoint me was the brush. Though much smoother in certain aspects than I expected, it can be unforgiving at times.

What is clearly a circle to you and me, may not be picked up as such by the engine, requiring several attempts, adjustments etc. When timing is factor, this can be frustrating, especially if you shake. As such, I would advise those without steady hands to avoid this game. Additionally, I would advise every to stay away from getting the dodge move, it does not work as intended.
  15. Nov 27, 2011
    Out. Standing. This game is one of the best adventure games ever. The brush techniques work like a dream, it looks gorgeous, the story is humourous and very interesting. Everything is beautiful and brilliant. As close to perfection as possible in a game.
  16. Nov 22, 2011
    Although it's true that the brushwork requires frustrating precision at times, and the story scenes can be a little over-indulgent, the general gameplay is superb. I didn't know there could be a life after Zelda... but Okami comes very close. In 2011, it's cheap to buy, and with all the intrigues, mini missions and battle style, it will definitely keep Zelda-lovers interested (and yourAlthough it's true that the brushwork requires frustrating precision at times, and the story scenes can be a little over-indulgent, the general gameplay is superb. I didn't know there could be a life after Zelda... but Okami comes very close. In 2011, it's cheap to buy, and with all the intrigues, mini missions and battle style, it will definitely keep Zelda-lovers interested (and your partner hating your guts!) for a few weeks, if not months. Love this game. Expand
  17. Nov 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game. It's the same game on PS2 but the Wiimote gives a nice addition to the gameplay and it doesn't feel forced at all. The only bad thing it's that the Wiimote's precision it's not perfect, but not bad at all. Expand
  18. Oct 18, 2011
    absolutly sensational gameplay mixed with the awesome story. However, combat mostly sucks, its a PORT, and drawing with wiimote is dumb, getting a 91%
  19. Sep 10, 2011
    CApcom is one of the greatest video game companies of all time and this game is one of their best, sure it is a bit confusing at first but then it just got addicting.
  20. Aug 25, 2011
    One of my favorite games, the reason I bought a Wii and one of the video games that really supports the whole 'video games are art' argument. I love the Japanese traditional folk tales and the characters from them as well as those from the Shinto religion. This game made was the reason i went to a summer program to learn Japanese and about Japanese culture. Changed my life.
  21. Jul 3, 2011
    Many great points already made. Game has a lot of promise and is very innovative and interesting mechanics, but the Wii kills it. I've been trying out a Wii in the past couple months and trying out just about everything, and the unfortunate conclusion I've come to is that the main computer itself is solid and smart -- it's value-conscious and has forced devs to value aesthetics over howMany great points already made. Game has a lot of promise and is very innovative and interesting mechanics, but the Wii kills it. I've been trying out a Wii in the past couple months and trying out just about everything, and the unfortunate conclusion I've come to is that the main computer itself is solid and smart -- it's value-conscious and has forced devs to value aesthetics over how many gritty-brown pixels they can shove in. This is best shown in Okami which has some of the most fantastic cel-shading graphics I've yet seen. The Wiimote, however - as has been mentioned - just doesn't have many practical applications outside of point-and-shoot, and that is also very clearly demonstrated in Okami. My God -- there's a mechanic where you hunt "wanted" monsters and when you kill one, you have to cross out the name. It took me 10-20x more time to draw a line through a name precisely right than kill the monster. This is a common problem -- the Wiimote should never be used for drawing. Ever.

A much less frustrating problem is how broken the game seems after bombs are introduced. Combat was already very easy, but bombs cause incredible damage, cost virtually nothing, have large range, and can be deployed precisely at long range. I can't believe the devs introduced that, tested it, had professional testers test this, and then left it in as-is. It breaks the game.

The story is sometimes a little heavy in a bad way, but it's broken up with some witty and what I imagine was pretty time-intensive dialogue broken up with novel animations, breaks in music, and character depth. The story is overall charming, though having a small bug-wisp-man threaten to reside in a god's kimono if not rewarded is just a bit beyond "the line."

Very much recommend others give it a go, and very much hope if the devs do something like this again, skip a lot of the "drawing" mechanics which add nothing but frustration to the game (such as having to draw a line through the names of monsters you've killed).
  22. Jun 27, 2011
    Hands down the single best game on the Wii system, and my personal favorite game of all time. A joy to play from start to finish - and well beyond the finish. There is just so much to do in this game.
  23. Jun 22, 2011
    "Oh how many times have I played through this game and loved it every time?" You were expecting a response like that right? Well, my actual feelings are very similar and I do love the game, in fact, it's one of the most beautiful games in my Library. Course that's obvious since it's mostly littered with James bond games, Mario, Sonic, and Zelda titles, but I digress.

The story gets a

The story gets a 10/10: I love it when a company takes REAL folklore and makes a REAL story from it, true Legend Of Zelda is an epic series, but there's not much truth to it. A good story could benefit from a few facts from real life. Even Naruto, the most overrated anime series ever has some real facts. (The ninja handseals are based on the mantra handseals that monks used during meditation according to the official wikapidia) As far as this game goes, it's a lovely story, and all the characters are unique and fun in their own way. I especially like Susano, that goofy guy, always sleeping while ammy is working her furry tail off to save the day~

Controls: 8/10:
    The wii controls are a bit wonky, but once you get the hang of them it's quite alright. There's no massive button mashing required, as apposed to a fighting or action game. Just keep your eyes pealed during combat and your reactions sharp.

Dungeons: 9/10: Not since Ocarina of Time have I puzzled myself to get through a dungeon, let alone a single room in some dungeon. However there are some minor repetitive tasks in these dungeons. The game could use some more applications of the paintbrush powers in the next Consol release if any. Using the same brush power over and over in the same dungeon gets stale after a while. But it doesn't harm the gameplay experiance any.

Bosses: 6/10
    Here's the real let down, if you're a hardcore zelda fanatic, these bosses will pose little to no threat to your life meter. Of course, these bosses at least don't shove their "open face sandwitch" weakspots on you in their opening cutscene, as opposed to those of the Zelda series. All in all the bosses are fun to fight, and the designs are cool, though the minimal number of human-like bosses discourages me a bit. Fighting freakishly oversized creatures and even the occasional dragon is fun, but a human with supernatural powers can be just as threatening, especially in a game like this. Though not entirely needed for a game to be great, it would make a nice change of pace. Overall score: 9.5 /10
    Like I said, this game is epic as hell, if you love sprawling fields, massive bosses, and epic Sound Tracks, be sure to pick this one up. I promise you won't be disappointed in the least bit. I really hope my review helped your decision on getting this game. most reveiws focus on either the positive or negitive parts of a game. So I hoped to focus on a little of both sides of the story. ^+^
  24. May 27, 2011
    I give Okami all ten. Great story plot, incredible cell coloring graphics, and a lil humor makes this a must adventure game. I haven't seen anyone of it's kind and wish Clover could continue their line of work.

For the Wii, I wish they would add bonus stuff (considering it's a console transfer from the PS2) and kept the credits (of course, liability issues prevented it). But otherwise, I would forever say: This game is the only one I would keep to play forever, aside from the golden aged SNES/PS1/N64 times.
  25. Apr 15, 2011
    In a generation filled with classics like God of war, Resident evil 4, Shadow of the colossus, Prince of persia the sands of time, Ico and such, one game stood out for me and turned not only into my favourite game last gen but also into my favourite game of all time. Okami is everything I have ever looked for in a game and then some. The art style and graphics are still the best i haveIn a generation filled with classics like God of war, Resident evil 4, Shadow of the colossus, Prince of persia the sands of time, Ico and such, one game stood out for me and turned not only into my favourite game last gen but also into my favourite game of all time. Okami is everything I have ever looked for in a game and then some. The art style and graphics are still the best i have ever seen in a game. The game is like a huge beautiful painting that can be considered a masterpiece. The story is very interesting and the game is really long( about 40 hours). the characters and dialog are absoloutly fantastic and the music is like nothing you have ever heard. The soundtrack consists of 4 cds!, it just shows you the composers really worked hard for this game. The gameplay is also unique in ways I cannot explain. I can talk about the game for hours and write many pages but all I need to say is that Okami gave me the best gaming experience of my life, and had my crying and laughing. It amazed me from start to finish and I have played through it 3 times now. If you ever thought videogames can be an art form then Okami is one of your best examples. Shadow of the colossus did it, POP: The sands of time did it, but Okami did it better then them all and it is, without a doubt, a classic and my favourite game of all time. In case you were wondering, yes you should get this game( if you haven't allready) for either the wii or the ps2, the experience is still perfect and memorable for the ages. Masterful. Expand
  26. Mar 13, 2011
    Like stepping into a Hayao Miyazaki film. Beautiful, epic, heartwarming and uplifting, Okami is one of the greatest games ever made. It is incredibly sad that the game was overlooked by so many.
  27. Aug 23, 2010
    I find it impossible not to fall in love with Okami, the Wii is a perfect fit for the celestial brush, with a unique and splendid character design, with rich, vibrant enviroments and a massive game with plenty of content to un-earth. Awesome graphics, unqiue gameplay- whats not to like?

This is a marvelous game in terms of artistry, sound, and yes, even gameplay, despite being hamstrung by the poorly implemented Celestial Brush controls. Despite the headaches you'll undoubtedly experience, it's still worth playing Okami on your Nintendo Wii.
    Unique and captivating characters await you at every flower laden step. From combat to exploration, every action rewards the player with items, experience, or another breathtaking look at this gorgeous world.
  3. A must-have title for anyone who has ever loved a Zelda game, a Clover Studio game, or any time-intensive 3D adventure game. The only people I would advise against buying Okami are those on the extreme left or extreme right of the "casual/hardcore" gamer divide.