8.8

1. Dec 23, 2013
    While the first title in the AA series isn't my favourite I do think that this is a fantastic start to a fantastic series. The main gameplay may be nothing special and the game is also super linear but what truly makes this title shine is it's great story and unique writing. The reason I say this game has unique writing is because unlike most crime stories (law & order, csi, etc...) which are super serious dramas, ace attorney is very light hearted, silly and has lots of humour. There's still the serious moments in ace attorney but these moments come only when it's feels necessary. Also because of the series silliness that means that the writers can make each case and game feel fresh unlike most crime shows which start feeling repetitive after a couple of episodes. Though the main part of the gameplay is your regular point and click affair the court trial parts are very unique. These parts of the game are neat because you have to think cleverly about each testimony and try to notice the holes in some of the statements and you even get to examine photos and other evidence which really makes you feel like an actually attorney. The graphics aren't amazing but the characters do have some goofy looking animations which adds to the games charm. The music is also pretty great, especially when your in court. Overall PW:AA is very well written and funny game. Expand

This port gets an F for effort, but that might not be enough for me to not recommend it -- the game is still good. But I'm definitely not going to praise Capcom for what little work the company did to bring it to console.
  2. I do hope to see Phoenix eventually make a worthwhile appearance on consoles, one that lives up to the great legacy the series has now built up for itself. This one, though, isn't a crowning achievement for Capcom, and throwing your money at the game will probably only serve to send the wrong message to the publisher.
  3. As a low-resolution port of a last-gen game with barely any Wii Remote functionality tacked on, were this any other game we would be all too happy to drop the score further. But it barely escapes contempt of our court on the strength of its enjoyable storytelling which is, after all, some of the most entertaining dialogue available on any console.