6.7

1. Nov 20, 2011
    As a huge fan of the Pokemon franchise, I can safely say that this game is TERRIBLE beyond belief. I'm surprised that people are giving it such high scores.

Gameplay: It follows the traditional JRPG gameplay. A turn based battle between two people. However, since there is absolutely no exploring that makes Pokemon so great and engaging, the gameplay in this game tends to get boring in
    less than an hour. And the fact that the two default Pokemon trainer cards you get don't even contain any strong Pokemon really ruin the experience when you're facing such powerhouses later in the game. Usually in a Pokemon game I give the gameplay a 10/10 for exploration AND a turn based RPG battle that is both engaging and makes you want more, but PBR deserves a 4/10 in this aspect.

Controls: Just point with your Wii Remote and press A...simple as that. Boring as anything
    10/10 I guess since you can't really screw pointing and clicking.

Graphics: Only good aspect of the game. For the Wii, I feel that the graphics are well done and inviting. The Pokemon look cool and the attacks are also pretty nice. 9/10

Music and sounds: The music annoys me. Not one good soundtrack from the game. This is quite a shock since Pokemon has such amazing tracks in pretty much every installment. Truly a disappointment. The sound effects of the Pokemon attacks are good, though. But the announcer is annoying! Every time a Pokemon attacks, he needs to comment on it. His voice gets on my nerves. Like we know the Pokemon fainted; there's no need to point that out!

Story: There is none! 0/10

Overall: I do not recommend this game to anyone, even the hardcore Pokemon fans. The only reason why one MIGHT want it is if one has Diamond and Pearl. Then they can just use those Pokmeon and experience some 3-D battling. But I've tried that and even that gets boring after about an hour. This game gets a 3.4/10. Terrible game. Rent it if you truly want to play it. But don't spend 10+ dollars on this piece of garbage.
  2. Apr 22, 2013
    Nintendo on the Gamecube released two very competent games, XD and Colosseum which had a decent story and were thoroughly enjoyable. Nintendo has taken a step backwards with this insipid attempt at a Pokemon Stadium game. That had minigames, this doesn't.

No plot, online with friend codes is an outdated way to play online. Battles are all you do in this game. There is just menus, you do
    not get to explore the island at all. This is like a poor man's Battle Frontier, except that's the game. I cannot give this game higher than a 3. It just fails on so many levels.

Some good things are good visuals, great to see you can use your 4th gen pokemon, can link with 4th gen games, but the bad FAR outweighs the good.
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    To call this a game would be criminal. Merely a vessel for HD Pokémon battling with third dimentional models. With the downloadable content, consisting of only a couple promotional Pokémon, it was a feature greatly squandered of purpose. Only worth a few hours of fun seeing your favorite Pokémon battle in an essentially castrated version of Pokémon Stadium.

1. Graphically, this game is incredible. Physical attacks cause Pokemon to actually make contact, and Special attacks damage the scenery. The Pokemon themselves are rendered incredibly well, as are the trainers. [JPN Import]
  2. It should come packaged with "Diamond/Pearl" for an extra 5 quid. It doesn't. Avoid. [Jan 2007, p.70]
  3. An expensive and entirely cosmetic companion to the DS games. [Jan 2008, p.50]