8.4

1. cycodamo
    Jun 4, 2008
    I really wanted to like this game and part of me appreciates the innovative control method, but ultimately this game is frustrating and feels like you're never really in control. The most significant problems are:
    1) The fact that you can't defend consistently or with any great control. They could have easily made it that you can manually control a player on defence, and use a button to call others to help like in Pro Evo on PS2.
    2) The camera view looks like you're watching from space, it's so far away, meaning it's hard to see what's going on. And you can't even zoom in or change the camera like you could ad nauseum in previous iterations.
    3) Shooting is done by shaking the nunchuck, which is hardly intuitive and means you can't make quick decisions to snap a shot in a goalbox melee because it takes too long. It would be easier just to push a button. Also, you have no control over where the shot is going and how hard.
    4) Thinking about clicking on players and putting them in space all takes up time that will invariably end in your player being dispossessed of the ball.
    5) Maybe my connection sucks but online play is lagtastic and therefore useless.
    Don't believe the hype.
  2. Sep 6, 2010
    An incredibly hard game to get to grips with, however yet very unique in its own way using the wii remote and the nun-chuck to its full potential. The Single player campaign mode is very smart in its own way yet confusing, and i hate the annoying complicated compulsory training mode at the start of loading up the game and at various parts of the game.

1. Easily the best football game on a Nintendo system. It takes a while to get used to the new controls but once you get your head round them, they become second nature. [Mar 2008, p.58]
  2. Initially bewildering, it makes great use of hte Wii controls. Give it time and you'll love it. [Apr 2008, p.68]
    For the first time in a long, long time, we're going crazy for a soccer game on a Nintendo platform.