Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party Wii

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2008
7.7

1. Nov 26, 2011
    Silly game developers, rabbids are for kids! Rabbids are about potty jokes and simple physical humor. This game repeats the mini-games from other rabbid titles, wrapped in a framing device of watching TV all day. But the kids young enough to enjoy the humor barely understand what broadcast TV was, and certainly won't get all the adult in-jokes.

For example, a frequent mini-game involves a

For example, a frequent mini-game involves a movie studio where they're filming an old late-night movie, such as Night of the Living Dead, or Red Planet. (I'm 41, and those movies were way before my time.) While they're filming the movie, actors from other movies wander through the set and spoil the shot. Your job is to shoot the invading actors and prevent the movie from being ruined. It's all very clever in an abstract intellectual way, but it's a terrible mismatch with the simple physical humor of the Rabbids.

My son is 10, and he loved all the other Rabbid games. I'm 41, and many of the jokes left me scratching my head. We turned it off after an hour.

If you're over 50 and still have the sense of humor of a grade-schooler, then you might enjoy this. Otherwise stay away. The humor is too lowbrow for most adults, and the jokes are too archaic for kids. It's sad because somebody obviously put a lot of work into this. But the concept is self-contradictory.

And don't be fooled by the positive user reviews. They reek of spam.

1. Easily the best Rabbids have been, making TV Party the minigame compilation to get. Wobbly and very, very silly. What more can we say? [Christmas 2008, p.44]
    The series' trademark quirky sense of humor is in full effect, but with monotonous gameplay hampered by unresponsive controls, TV Party never really stands out in a sea of mini-game compilations.
    Rabbids TV Party doesn't rewrite the mini-game genre. It's a tried and true third installment in the series that I feel shares more in common with the original than its boring sequel.