• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 23, 2010
8.6

1. May 8, 2012
    I bought this game with high hopes, and after the first 30 minutes or so, thought it was brilliant. Sadly the shine soon wore off. The problem was that it was so repetitive. You essentially play the same 3 or 4 missions over and over again. Learn a move, collect, kill, move on.
    There are loads of weapons, upgrades and techniques you can get, but you never really get any time to enjoy
    anything in comparison to what you had previously.
    Another thing that annoyed me was the "point of no return" bits. Why? Why can't I return? The area is tiny, with about 4 sections, with each section being a street.
    There are only 4 kinds of enemies as well. Easy, medium, hard and boss - essentially - with no break in repetition. Why are there so many weapons and sword techniques when by 2 hours in you have figured out how to kill everything effectively?
    Also, the majority of the secret techniques you get taught don't actually work on the bosses - so why learn them? They only work on the grunts and low-rankers, and you can kill them just by mindlessly swinging your remote from side to side.
    Why can't I buy ammo when I need it (I never, ever find JohnnyGun ammo), rather than endlessly walking in a circle through the tiny hub looking for yet more crates?
    Another thing that irritated me is the fact that the wii motion plus doesn't really seem to add much. You only use if for sword fighting, and within that, the only time it matter is when blocking or breaking blocks, and you can just switch your style from horizontal to vertical by holding B, so why do you need it? If anything it just complicates matters.
    In a game where, pre-release, the main hype was about how awesome the combat was going to be, why did they make it so repetitive?

The only things I genuinely like about this game are the concept (cowboy samurai things), the graphics and, I suppose, the story.
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    This is a shooter like no other. I'm not saying it's better or worse than, say, Call of Duty, or Halo, it's just different. Everything about it is different. Unlike the vast majority of other first person shooters, your not a soldier, but something more unique than that. You are an outcast, who wields the sora katana, the most powerful sword that ever existed. Eventually you will discover the powers of the sword, which adds to the gameplay. Your wii remote is a sword. This isn't Zelda where you flick you wrist a little to swing your sword, you have to swing your sword like a sword. The harder you swing the more damage you do. You also get a revolver, which you to upgrade, and you can buy other guns, like a shotgun, but you can't upgrade these. This game is very short. It took four days to beat it twice. The story is okay, but that's not why you playing. At least I hope not. The story isn't anything special but the cutscenes are sure to make you feel like a badass. This is a game for the gamer who is dying inside because there isn't many good shooters out there for the wii. Well here you go. Expand

1. Red Steel 2 isn't just the game everyone wished Red Steel was, it's better than that. It single handedly proves the Wii MotionPlus's value for adventure games, while providing one of the best action experiences on the system. That said, it's almost a tech demo for the hardware, lacking in terms of story and gameplay variety.
    There are still some issues, both in game balance as well as wishy-washy motion sensing control, but the awesome style and energetic gameplay are enough to make this one of the top titles on Wii.
    If the satisfying melee combat was tied into a better game with a compelling story, I'd praise Red Steel 22 as the next step in the Wii's evolution. But the nonsensical narrative, the repetitive nature of the gameplay, and the poor pacing keeps it from being anything more than a promising glimpse at the future of FPS games on the Wii.