Red Steel Wii

• Release Date: Nov 19, 2006
6.8

1. DavidPerkins
    Dec 29, 2006
    The lower scores given out by reviewers smacks of nothing more than a review they were forced to rush to cover the Wii launch.

The control system is different, but it's nothing like broken, and those who claim otherwise are simply wrong. The game is very on-rails, but that doesn't damage the otherwise satisfying gun and sword play offered here. It's not going to drop

It's not going to drop any jaws, but this is about as solid a launch FPS title the Wii could have hoped for. There's enough original ideas to call it well above average, and the control system is a real breath of fresh air.

Complaints against the games technical side also seem unfair. Red Steel would be considered an extremely competent and visually impressive Cube title, and given that Ubisoft were working on GC development kits for most of Red Steel's development, they have done a cracking job.

Most notable for me though, is the variety of locations and set pieces, within the games - admittedly straight forward - story, which makes the whole thing feel like an expansive adventure.

Red Steel may not be a system seller, but if you've got a Wii and are looking for some solid FPS action, this is absolutely indispensable.
  2. VijayL.
    Nov 30, 2007
    I was a bit reluntant to get this game with the mixed reviews. #However i found it fun and light. I'm busy so picking up the game enjoying some non sci-fi fps (which isn't a ww2 game) with some sword slashing was excatly perfect. violent fun is whats this game is about not great strategy play.
  3. VaiseC.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ok, First of all...To all you who say "Ohh The Aim is to Sensitive!" Theres something called the OPTIONS MENU! YOu can adjust the sensitivity..The game is Awesome...It was the First FPS game for the wii .. I think...So if it does bad..Dont hate...If you say it "SUCKS" Well thats pretty much your opinion...People who dont like the game..Are not hardcore gamers like myself..I play any Ok, First of all...To all you who say "Ohh The Aim is to Sensitive!" Theres something called the OPTIONS MENU! YOu can adjust the sensitivity..The game is Awesome...It was the First FPS game for the wii .. I think...So if it does bad..Dont hate...If you say it "SUCKS" Well thats pretty much your opinion...People who dont like the game..Are not hardcore gamers like myself..I play any game..i can beat...And believe me..I baught the game Teletubbies for PS1 And beat it. If your not a hardcore gamer.....Get Games maybe like..Half life 2...or...I dont know....But RedSteel...Is a very Amazing Game...The story line is Old School "Kidnappes GirlFriend rescue" BUt theres lots of twists to the story also..What makes the game even more amazing is the fact that when i was thinking i finished the game..The game suprised me with Missions you can do optionally...The funnest and wackiest one being the fun house mission...If your going to say its hard to control...Then your not an aivid Wii Gamer..I suggest you go be a lazy Person and pick up a 360 controller...Because I have played them all...Because im a VERY hardcore gamer..And if you wanna hate the graphics..in my opinion..they are VERY good for a Virtual Shooting Game...Shizamn. Expand
  4. TK
    Jun 19, 2009
    I just rented this game and have been playing it for about an hour. In that short time playing i thought it was great. It's like a modern Driv3r for PS2 with ninjas. The only problem is that the ememies can't shut up! You'll be in a gunfight with a bunch of guys and the whole time you are being showered with "I'll get you!' "You're a dead man!" "What the I just rented this game and have been playing it for about an hour. In that short time playing i thought it was great. It's like a modern Driv3r for PS2 with ninjas. The only problem is that the ememies can't shut up! You'll be in a gunfight with a bunch of guys and the whole time you are being showered with "I'll get you!' "You're a dead man!" "What the hell?" "You'll regret that!" "Murderer!". It gets annoying very fast, and all of the excesive swearing will turn away parents of younger gamers. Expand
  5. IordanTonchev
    Feb 13, 2008
    Incredible how gamesites, giving high mark for pretty bad game, are giving so low scores here.
    The game is indeed not reinventing the FPS genre, but it is one really good shooter. Also take into account this is a launch title made to show off the new wii controllers. Also it has some of that Max Payne feeling in it.
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying sword fights.
    Good game, but indeed far from perfect.
  6. DavidGough
    Apr 17, 2008
    I consider this one of the best games I have, not quite the best, but pretty close. I love the swordplay (something I've never seen before in ANY game), I like the graphics, and the very well designed multiplayer.
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this). Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this).
    Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a awesome game.
  7. TomAgius
    Jun 7, 2008
    Red Steel is fast from perfect, but the one thing it has over a lot of other shooters is that it's really, really fun. After I finished the game, I only wanted more, and replayed the whole thing again and I still wasn't sick of it.

I can't wait for the sequel!
  8. DavidP.
    Sep 10, 2006
    I give this game a 9 as I am unsure of the contorls yet, if it replicates the exact movement of the controller to the sword on the screen then it scores a 10 because i think that game would be incredibly fun however if it only has certain places where it replicates i score it a 8, i gave it half way for now because I do not know either one for certain.
  9. ScottW.
    Nov 21, 2006
    This game is amazing and well worth the purchase. It can be a little fiddly at the start, but once you know what you are doing, it is very addictive
  10. ShaneP.
    Nov 25, 2006
    Great game, ignore all "ugly by gamecube standards" type comments, because this game could not be handled on the cube, much as I love that system. Excellent controls, the only downside is the lack of online multi-player. A great first entry into the new world of immersive FPS.
  11. AntonioJ.
    Nov 27, 2006
    I just beat this game. This game is worth checking out. The graphic (fire, water, rain, particle effects, lighting effects, fog, and textures) are beautiful. No way Deeko. The control are only perfect when you adjust the sensitivity through the Wii and have steady hand. I'm ready for a revolution, what about you.
  12. AnthonyW.
    Nov 28, 2006
    Incredible game that only has one flaw, a steep learning curve the many lack the patience to overcome.
  13. KyleW.
    Dec 2, 2006
    The game is very well put together exept I thought the swordplay could have been more interactive. All in all I highly recommend Red Steel for any FPS fan.
  14. RovW
    Dec 18, 2006
    Great game, to bad about the multiplayer and the controls are a little bit hard to learn but after that it's a great shooter but it needs some improvement.
  15. Born2respawn
    Dec 30, 2006
    Not the best shooter ever, but good fun none-the-less. I'll never find it as easy to control as, say, Halo 2 or any PC shooter, but that's just familliarity. My girlfriend, who never plays shooters, loves it and find's it easy to control.
  16. SteveP.
    Jan 1, 2007
    As an FPS it was quite average, but with the new control system (which can be a little buggy at times) it turned it into a whole new experience. I only want to play FPS this way now, I can't wait for a top notch game with similar controls!
  17. GregoryB.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Steep leaning curve getting a good feel for the controls, but once you do, Wow! Love the Asian theme and decor, great attention to detail with the sound effects, and destructive environments are always a blast! I'm enjoying the swordplay too. I can't believe people are complaining.
  18. AndrewG.
    Jan 6, 2007
    The only real problem that I've heard about this game is that the controls are bad. For me though, this game was easy pick up and play status for multiplayer. If you have experience with other wii games (especially the bow and arrow in Zelda) then this game should be no problem for you. Red Steel reminds me of Golden Eye, but is not quite as good - the single player is a little too The only real problem that I've heard about this game is that the controls are bad. For me though, this game was easy pick up and play status for multiplayer. If you have experience with other wii games (especially the bow and arrow in Zelda) then this game should be no problem for you. Red Steel reminds me of Golden Eye, but is not quite as good - the single player is a little too linear, and the subobjectives are a little too lame. But multiplayer was hella fun. Expand
  19. AlanS.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Great game, although it does not have the greatest of voice acting. The controls work fine for me, I don't have any "jumpyness" in the game itself, and it is very enjoyable, although it does not break any new ground for gaming.
  20. DavidH.
    Jan 23, 2007
    Initially very frustrating, but please be patient - the controls become second nature in no time and the game becomes great fun and satisfying.
  21. JimG.
    Mar 8, 2007
    After being bored by Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Wii Sports (mini-games don't last forever) and after being extremely disappointed by Sonic & the Secret Ring and SSX Blur (games that I felt were somehow broken), I was looking for something deeper and easy to pick up. I was also giving up on the Wii because I thought the only game I would ever enjoy was Excite After being bored by Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Wii Sports (mini-games don't last forever) and after being extremely disappointed by Sonic & the Secret Ring and SSX Blur (games that I felt were somehow broken), I was looking for something deeper and easy to pick up. I was also giving up on the Wii because I thought the only game I would ever enjoy was Excite Truck. So if you feel the same, please read this. I finally decided to rent Red Steel. I took a while to do it since the reviews were a mix of both uber good comments and big disappointments. After 2 hours of play... the conclusion is... I have to buy this game. I must admit that I'm not a FPS gamer at all, so I never felt handicapped by the limited controls and the extremely straight forward storyline. I really enjoyed that game. The story is fun and it doesn't take a couple of hours to get use to the controls (as opposed to many reviews I've read). Yes it's old school, but who said it was bad? However the sword fight isn't as responsive as I would've expect it to be. If you were a fan of the first Perfect Dark and even 007: Golden Eye on the N64 and still enjoy them, you will feel right at home with that one. I still recommend to rent it first... After spending over a hundred dollars for both Sonic and SSX, I've learn my lesson... Wii games have to be tried first. Expand
  22. PervaanA.
    Apr 3, 2007
    To me, this is one of the most underrated game the wii has to offer. Although the controls take getting used to, Red Steel is a great game. The story isn't very unique, the fiance gets kidnapped, and the hero goes to save her, but the natural-felling wii controls make it a fun game to play. Cutscenes are basically comics with voice acting, and not very exciting. There are a some To me, this is one of the most underrated game the wii has to offer. Although the controls take getting used to, Red Steel is a great game. The story isn't very unique, the fiance gets kidnapped, and the hero goes to save her, but the natural-felling wii controls make it a fun game to play. Cutscenes are basically comics with voice acting, and not very exciting. There are a some special moves to learn with both the sword and the gun, like some ninja time freezing move, making Red Steel more than your average FPS. Swordfights are fun, but bland, and are easily finished. The Single player mode takes about 10-15 hours to complete, and when thats finished, there is alwasys the upto 4 player Split screen to go to. Graphics and sound are very nice, but there are some glitches from time to time. For its price (29.99 new) Red steel is a great game to pick up, or rent if you don't want to play split screen. Gameplay is exciting with all the running and gunning, with swordfights at times and the controls help make it a better game.This game gets an 8.5/10 by me. Expand
  23. KDep
    Apr 24, 2007
    I'm very impressed by this game. It's a launch game, it doesn't take full advantage of the Wii's power - get over it. The controls are nothing short of amazing. I'm very impressed - this is what a game on the Wii is supposed to be like. The game is a showcase for what the Wii can do - and it does it very well. A great game if you can find it at a good price. Might I'm very impressed by this game. It's a launch game, it doesn't take full advantage of the Wii's power - get over it. The controls are nothing short of amazing. I'm very impressed - this is what a game on the Wii is supposed to be like. The game is a showcase for what the Wii can do - and it does it very well. A great game if you can find it at a good price. Might not be worth retail price, but used copies are readily available. Expand
  24. ChazS.
    May 23, 2007
    I don't understand why some people don't like it, ok the sword fighting lets it down, but frankly this is only because the rest of the game is so good. Red Steel is entertaining game that is in my opinon the best shooting game on the Wii, and it will take a seriously good game with an even better concept to take this away from it, in fact I'm not expecting this to happen I don't understand why some people don't like it, ok the sword fighting lets it down, but frankly this is only because the rest of the game is so good. Red Steel is entertaining game that is in my opinon the best shooting game on the Wii, and it will take a seriously good game with an even better concept to take this away from it, in fact I'm not expecting this to happen unless a sequal is released. Expand
  25. EricJ.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Game is under-rated, once you get use to the controls its so fun and engaging. I love those massive firefights with bullets smashing glass, boxes, cars and more! Its a whole heap of fun, and it feels like your playing in an action movie, hope they make a sequel... people that dont like the controls really need to spend a bit of time with it, my system is fine, using the control scheme is Game is under-rated, once you get use to the controls its so fun and engaging. I love those massive firefights with bullets smashing glass, boxes, cars and more! Its a whole heap of fun, and it feels like your playing in an action movie, hope they make a sequel... people that dont like the controls really need to spend a bit of time with it, my system is fine, using the control scheme is second nature for me now in this game, very very enjoyable! Expand
  26. RichardC.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Yes, this game has some minor annoyances in both design and control, but if you've been pining for the glory years of 2002 and 2003, the years of colorful fantasy worlds, optimism, and simple, satisfying blaster combat, you'll see this as a gaming great! If only it could be patched.
  27. BrianM.
    Dec 21, 2007
    This game might have occasionally frustrating swordplay and sometimes repetitive gameplay, but by no means does that mean it's not fun to play. It's shocking to see some of the very low scores this game is getting. It deserves a 7 at the very least. Anything lower than that is madness.
  28. AndrewM.
    Apr 30, 2009
    Similar in structure to 'Medal of Honour' style shooters, where you wander from scene to scene blasting away at anything that moves. If you get hit, hide for a while and you'll be back to full fitness. The addition of sword fighting makes good use of the Wii controls and the Yakusa storyline gives it a nice twist on the genre - you will do better in the game if you spare Similar in structure to 'Medal of Honour' style shooters, where you wander from scene to scene blasting away at anything that moves. If you get hit, hide for a while and you'll be back to full fitness. The addition of sword fighting makes good use of the Wii controls and the Yakusa storyline gives it a nice twist on the genre - you will do better in the game if you spare your opponents' lives! It's available cheap, particularly pre-owned, and I'd say well worth the money. Expand
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    I bought this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power when it first came out. After buying it i found that it was a pretty good game. I see alot of people complaining about this game mostly because of the graphics and how its not realistic like the PS3 or 360. The graphics are good and who cares if it isnt just like real life.The story is good, the motion controls are good and reactsI bought this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power when it first came out. After buying it i found that it was a pretty good game. I see alot of people complaining about this game mostly because of the graphics and how its not realistic like the PS3 or 360. The graphics are good and who cares if it isnt just like real life.The story is good, the motion controls are good and reacts to your movements pretty well.Aiming with the gun is pretty easy and you can even tilt your gun sideways. If you're looking for a good game to play for your Wii Then buy this, but if you are looking for something that has "real-life graphics" then play something else. Expand
  30. Oct 19, 2015
    To begin with, I got my copy at a pawn store. Since it cost next to nothing (for a console game), I'm not price-quality-ratio biased. Even so, I can relate to the frustration of people who bought it at launch. Had I had my wii seven, eight years ago, woulda been a little disappointed either. But maybe not as much as to have it drowned in a puddle of diarrhea. It's also my first wii fps, soTo begin with, I got my copy at a pawn store. Since it cost next to nothing (for a console game), I'm not price-quality-ratio biased. Even so, I can relate to the frustration of people who bought it at launch. Had I had my wii seven, eight years ago, woulda been a little disappointed either. But maybe not as much as to have it drowned in a puddle of diarrhea. It's also my first wii fps, so I guess you could say I don't know any better.

The game is flawed in many respects, with the katana fights on top of the list. It is easiliy the most crippled in-game mechanic here. But other than that, the control scheme ain't half as bad as I was convinced it would be, having read online reviews. The least them devs could have done was given us an option to somehow skip these mutilated katana duels.

Aside from them, it's not like the motion controls are all good at all times. Every now and then, the camera tends to freak out as if it has gotten dizzy, in later chapters. Or is it just my wii mote losing it? Keeping in mind how crappy the controls were for, say, Medal of Honor for PS1 (doesn't mean I don't like the game), it still is quite convenient, but for occassional wrist strain.

The presentation is decent. Wii may be supposed to be played on a classic tube tv but even if you connect it to a plasma, without an HDMI adapter, it won't make your eyes bleed. It could be better, though. Textures are blurred and the screen resolution leaves much to be desired. The backdrops are sort of claustrophobic for Ubisosft, who came up with the well-acclaimed and pseudo open-world Far Cry two years before (I'm talking the PC version, don't know how they fared with the wii port's 'open worldliness'). By way of contrast, Red Steel is more of a corridor shooter.

NPCs are not the sharpest tools but they do take cover (sometimes), as opposed to what people say on the Internet. But I have seen for myself that, five times out of ten they act like dumb cannon fodder. And they blinking go away, once you get rid of them. Where are the corpses to mutilate with your sword? I want more blood (ha ha ha ha - madman's laughter).

As far as the story is concerned, the game lacks cut scenes. It is a flaw, if you ask me. Events in the plot are presented in the form of picures/ drawings, which reminds me of first two Max Paynes, where you had comic strips to fill you in as for the goings-on between chapters. The thing is Max Payne in-game comic novel was well-made. Sadly, the one in Red Steel is not as good but it kind of does its job. Guess decent cut scenes were too much to ask for at that point, but then again there already had been more stylish cuts scenes for PS1 games.

The story asks you to suspend your disebelief, to say the least:). Although cheesy and cliched, it still is quality-B-movie enough to get you coming back to see what'll happen next. Not as ambitious as Deus Ex, to name one example, but hey, while we are at it - did Far Cry have a good story? I think not. All the same, it did not prevent some reviewers from praising it like it was the best thing since the sliced bread. While the truth of the matter is that the plot in Far Cry was as dumb as could be.

The price will have been slashed by now and Red Steel is no collector's gem. If you can get it for a reasonable price, give it a try. Even for the sake of gaming history, to see for yourselves what might have been, had the motion controls delivered like they were supposed to in first trailers.
  31. Jul 10, 2011
    At the beginning of the the announcement of the first WII games, Nintendo had Red Steel( " We think that if we add a hard core game to it, we may gain more new players" ) i do not think this is so hardcore Nintendo, but i most say is great. The control is good and utilize all the gimmicks it needed. I complain a lot about the checkpoint, very irritating and sometimes the WII remote getsAt the beginning of the the announcement of the first WII games, Nintendo had Red Steel( " We think that if we add a hard core game to it, we may gain more new players" ) i do not think this is so hardcore Nintendo, but i most say is great. The control is good and utilize all the gimmicks it needed. I complain a lot about the checkpoint, very irritating and sometimes the WII remote gets messy. I'm happy though that Nintendo made the risk. Collapse

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2006
#3 Most Shared Wii Game of 2006

1. Nintendo Gamer
    It's liquid movement... A massive improvement on previous console FPS control... Not only making excellent use of the Wii's controllers, this is huge fun in its own right. For a launch title to get so much right is an indicator of great things to come. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  2. There are still some minor control issues, and the game is still incredibly inconsistent in terms of visual acuity, but in spite of this Red Steel is still an unquestionably fun game to play.
  3. Red Steel introduces a promising control scheme both for shooting thugs and for slashing them with samurai swords, but wraps it in a buggy, thoroughly unimpressive game.