Red Steel Wii

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 19, 2006
6.8

1. Jun 14, 2015
    Red Steel is a big empty promise, the sword fights are just boring and the gunfights is full of bugs (your aiming point goes back on the center of the screen for no reasons in the middle of your gunfights) it would have been even more annoying if the game was difficult, but at least the game is very easy and you'll just have to walk your way through the levels to finish it (shouldn't takeRed Steel is a big empty promise, the sword fights are just boring and the gunfights is full of bugs (your aiming point goes back on the center of the screen for no reasons in the middle of your gunfights) it would have been even more annoying if the game was difficult, but at least the game is very easy and you'll just have to walk your way through the levels to finish it (shouldn't take more than 8 hours). The story comes right from a 80's D movie, so does the actors, and will at best make you smile for its stupidity. To finish with this list of problems, the graphics are pretty ugly even for a Wii launch game, and I'd just like to emphasize that the absence of blood for a game named RED steel, is also a bit dumb.
    But in the middle of all this there is some nice destruction and even a bit of fun.

I could have ignore the ugliness if the controls were better thought and without bugs, but Red Steel is barely not a pain to play and doesn't deserve almost any kind of money from your pocket instead of other games out there.
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    Red steel is a hard game for me to review because I liked the game overall, but many of the game's glitches/problems could have been easily fixed. The hook of the game is that it is part shooter part sword fighter, but sadly the sword slinging is clunky and most of the time not much fun. The gun motion controls are also a bit of a problem, while most of the time they work fine some ofRed steel is a hard game for me to review because I liked the game overall, but many of the game's glitches/problems could have been easily fixed. The hook of the game is that it is part shooter part sword fighter, but sadly the sword slinging is clunky and most of the time not much fun. The gun motion controls are also a bit of a problem, while most of the time they work fine some of the time they will freak out and you will start spiraling in a circle for about a second, but keep in mind this is very rare problem (it will happen once or twice the entire game.)The graphics of red steel are not award worthy or great because they are bland, gray, and overall terrible even for a wii game, but there are some decent explosions. Too add to this seemingly never-ending list of problems the story seems to be taken out of a d movie, and while some will laugh at this story other will just skip it altogether. Possibly the largest problem with this game is that it is only 5 hours long with no on line, but since the game now is the price of a wiiware game I guess that isn't a huge problem. Even though all these problems are true and in the game I am giving it a 6 because even though the game has its faults is also has many fun mini games, a variety of weapons, good local multi-player, an original idea, and most of the time fun fast paced shooting action. Now to recap I do not recommend this game to everyone, but to those who can accept its faults should definitely buy the game used or rent it. Expand
  3. Sep 18, 2011
    I didn't enjoy this game at all. The controls are totally not intuitive and don't feel natural for how a samurai would move. The gun is nearly impossible to aim. When get the game and hate it so much that I can't even bare to play it again after the first time, that can't even be considered a game, rather an expensive demo.
  4. DavidPerkins
    Dec 29, 2006
    The lower scores given out by reviewers smacks of nothing more than a review they were forced to rush to cover the Wii launch.

The control system is different, but it's nothing like broken, and those who claim otherwise are simply wrong. The game is very on-rails, but that doesn't damage the otherwise satisfying gun and sword play offered here. It's not going to drop

It's not going to drop any jaws, but this is about as solid a launch FPS title the Wii could have hoped for. There's enough original ideas to call it well above average, and the control system is a real breath of fresh air.

Complaints against the games technical side also seem unfair. Red Steel would be considered an extremely competent and visually impressive Cube title, and given that Ubisoft were working on GC development kits for most of Red Steel's development, they have done a cracking job.

Most notable for me though, is the variety of locations and set pieces, within the games - admittedly straight forward - story, which makes the whole thing feel like an expansive adventure.

Red Steel may not be a system seller, but if you've got a Wii and are looking for some solid FPS action, this is absolutely indispensable.
  5. Maslab
    May 21, 2008
    Fun at first, but sword fights are a pain to start and once you get the controls down, they're just way too easy. The only part I truly like about it is how the gun mechanics work, but the absence of an actual reticle is akward. Really only fun in the beginning, probably just a rental at best, a leave-it-alone in my solemn opinion.
    Points for actually making use of the motion
    Points for actually making use of the motion sensing in a good way.
  6. VijayL.
    Nov 30, 2007
    I was a bit reluntant to get this game with the mixed reviews. #However i found it fun and light. I'm busy so picking up the game enjoying some non sci-fi fps (which isn't a ww2 game) with some sword slashing was excatly perfect. violent fun is whats this game is about not great strategy play.
  7. VaiseC.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ok, First of all...To all you who say "Ohh The Aim is to Sensitive!" Theres something called the OPTIONS MENU! YOu can adjust the sensitivity..The game is Awesome...It was the First FPS game for the wii .. I think...So if it does bad..Dont hate...If you say it "SUCKS" Well thats pretty much your opinion...People who dont like the game..Are not hardcore gamers like myself..I play any Ok, First of all...To all you who say "Ohh The Aim is to Sensitive!" Theres something called the OPTIONS MENU! YOu can adjust the sensitivity..The game is Awesome...It was the First FPS game for the wii .. I think...So if it does bad..Dont hate...If you say it "SUCKS" Well thats pretty much your opinion...People who dont like the game..Are not hardcore gamers like myself..I play any game..i can beat...And believe me..I baught the game Teletubbies for PS1 And beat it. If your not a hardcore gamer.....Get Games maybe like..Half life 2...or...I dont know....But RedSteel...Is a very Amazing Game...The story line is Old School "Kidnappes GirlFriend rescue" BUt theres lots of twists to the story also..What makes the game even more amazing is the fact that when i was thinking i finished the game..The game suprised me with Missions you can do optionally...The funnest and wackiest one being the fun house mission...If your going to say its hard to control...Then your not an aivid Wii Gamer..I suggest you go be a lazy Person and pick up a 360 controller...Because I have played them all...Because im a VERY hardcore gamer..And if you wanna hate the graphics..in my opinion..they are VERY good for a Virtual Shooting Game...Shizamn. Expand
  8. JasonH.
    Jun 12, 2009
    This game is not very fun. I thought that the cut scenes were just really tacky, and the story didn't motivate me at all. There's a MAJOR flaw in the aiming ability, which I'm surprised was over looked. Aiming with out close up (zooming in and out was terrible) was fine: just point and shoot. However, if you're a distance away, and you want to aim up close, the stupid This game is not very fun. I thought that the cut scenes were just really tacky, and the story didn't motivate me at all. There's a MAJOR flaw in the aiming ability, which I'm surprised was over looked. Aiming with out close up (zooming in and out was terrible) was fine: just point and shoot. However, if you're a distance away, and you want to aim up close, the stupid game auto targets, making it difficult to shoot the enemies you want to shoot. Aside from that, the graphics when not in a cut scene are great (weird huh?), and people can be shot through the tiniest of crack. Also, the AI are pretty smart. Expand
  9. TK
    Jun 19, 2009
    I just rented this game and have been playing it for about an hour. In that short time playing i thought it was great. It's like a modern Driv3r for PS2 with ninjas. The only problem is that the ememies can't shut up! You'll be in a gunfight with a bunch of guys and the whole time you are being showered with "I'll get you!' "You're a dead man!" "What the I just rented this game and have been playing it for about an hour. In that short time playing i thought it was great. It's like a modern Driv3r for PS2 with ninjas. The only problem is that the ememies can't shut up! You'll be in a gunfight with a bunch of guys and the whole time you are being showered with "I'll get you!' "You're a dead man!" "What the hell?" "You'll regret that!" "Murderer!". It gets annoying very fast, and all of the excesive swearing will turn away parents of younger gamers. Expand
  10. IordanTonchev
    Feb 13, 2008
    Incredible how gamesites, giving high mark for pretty bad game, are giving so low scores here.
    The game is indeed not reinventing the FPS genre, but it is one really good shooter. Also take into account this is a launch title made to show off the new wii controllers. Also it has some of that Max Payne feeling in it.
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying sword fights.
    Good game, but indeed far from perfect.
  11. DavidGough
    Apr 17, 2008
    I consider this one of the best games I have, not quite the best, but pretty close. I love the swordplay (something I've never seen before in ANY game), I like the graphics, and the very well designed multiplayer.
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this). Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this).
    Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a awesome game.
  12. TomAgius
    Jun 7, 2008
    Red Steel is fast from perfect, but the one thing it has over a lot of other shooters is that it's really, really fun. After I finished the game, I only wanted more, and replayed the whole thing again and I still wasn't sick of it.

I can't wait for the sequel!
  13. DavidP.
    Sep 10, 2006
    I give this game a 9 as I am unsure of the contorls yet, if it replicates the exact movement of the controller to the sword on the screen then it scores a 10 because i think that game would be incredibly fun however if it only has certain places where it replicates i score it a 8, i gave it half way for now because I do not know either one for certain.
  14. JackH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game plays like it was rushed out the door. The cut-scenes look like they were produced by interns, the sword scenes are reminiscent of PC games circa 1988 and the controls just don't work. save your money.
  15. JohnK.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game is horrible! The controls do not work that good and many people will quit right away because of the confusing controls! If you have the patience, then maybe it's worth a rental.
  16. BryanM.
    Nov 20, 2006
    this game is really good, its controls are a little bad but other than that the game is a great wii game if you like killing this may be the game for you. I mean when can you use a sword then a gun in the same game. thats right never.
  17. CH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    The controls are twitchy, the sword fights are boring, the graphics are muddy, and the voice acting is bad (bad for an FPS even). The game had so much potential to be great it's a real heart break to see it fall flat on it's face. I wanted to enjoy this game so much, but I couldn't. For a better FPS on the Wii, check out Call of Duty 3.
  18. ChrisD.
    Nov 21, 2006
    It's a pretty nice looking game with a great soundtrack, but the controls are a little iffy and there are a few glitches. It's not too bad, but not un-noticiable. There are some nice touches though using the controls for certain features such as opening doors and zooming in. The sword fight sequences are the most disappointing though. The sword has a delayed response and is It's a pretty nice looking game with a great soundtrack, but the controls are a little iffy and there are a few glitches. It's not too bad, but not un-noticiable. There are some nice touches though using the controls for certain features such as opening doors and zooming in. The sword fight sequences are the most disappointing though. The sword has a delayed response and is really lacking the fun you get from using the guns. For anyone looking to purchase the game, I found it to be a good introduction to the FPS genre on the Wii. Expand
  19. ScottW.
    Nov 21, 2006
    This game is amazing and well worth the purchase. It can be a little fiddly at the start, but once you know what you are doing, it is very addictive
  20. ChrisH.
    Nov 22, 2006
    Critics are slamming it a little too hard. Dual-analog control sucks anyway, this is paving the way for the Wii's future. Not perfect but pretty fun.
  21. ShaneP.
    Nov 25, 2006
    Great game, ignore all "ugly by gamecube standards" type comments, because this game could not be handled on the cube, much as I love that system. Excellent controls, the only downside is the lack of online multi-player. A great first entry into the new world of immersive FPS.
  22. AntonioJ.
    Nov 27, 2006
    I just beat this game. This game is worth checking out. The graphic (fire, water, rain, particle effects, lighting effects, fog, and textures) are beautiful. No way Deeko. The control are only perfect when you adjust the sensitivity through the Wii and have steady hand. I'm ready for a revolution, what about you.
  23. AnthonyW.
    Nov 28, 2006
    Incredible game that only has one flaw, a steep learning curve the many lack the patience to overcome.
  24. KyleW.
    Dec 2, 2006
    The game is very well put together exept I thought the swordplay could have been more interactive. All in all I highly recommend Red Steel for any FPS fan.
  25. AllistairP.
    Dec 5, 2006
    Decent enough, and sadly in the top 3 launch titles for the Wii. I had a good time with it, and especially enjoyed the controls (although they were buggy). It'd be nice to see a Half-Life caliber shooter with this control set up. Better than COD3, but not as flashy.
  26. ChrisS.
    Dec 6, 2006
    This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone that the sword controls are a travesty, the story and voice acting a sin, and the guns aren't anywhere as good as "Call of Duty 3" Do yourself a favour and prey for a Star wars Light Saber game. Expand
  27. JonnyT.
    Dec 11, 2006
    I was really hyped for this game but i gotta say i was disappointed. I personally dont mind the bad graphics all that much. But in multiplayer mode, theyre just way too horrible to overlook. youre player's arm doesnt even match with the person youre using! Pretty bad v-acting Controls were alrite but too difficult to explain to my friends for multiplayer mode.
  28. RovW
    Dec 18, 2006
    Great game, to bad about the multiplayer and the controls are a little bit hard to learn but after that it's a great shooter but it needs some improvement.
  29. Born2respawn
    Dec 30, 2006
    Not the best shooter ever, but good fun none-the-less. I'll never find it as easy to control as, say, Halo 2 or any PC shooter, but that's just familliarity. My girlfriend, who never plays shooters, loves it and find's it easy to control.
  30. AlexC.
    Dec 31, 2006
    This game SUCKS I have a Wii and have never played a game this bad the controls are really hard, and the sword fighting isnt much better.

#3 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2006
#4 Most Shared Wii Game of 2006

1. Nintendo Gamer
    It's liquid movement... A massive improvement on previous console FPS control... Not only making excellent use of the Wii's controllers, this is huge fun in its own right. For a launch title to get so much right is an indicator of great things to come. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  2. There are still some minor control issues, and the game is still incredibly inconsistent in terms of visual acuity, but in spite of this Red Steel is still an unquestionably fun game to play.
  3. Red Steel introduces a promising control scheme both for shooting thugs and for slashing them with samurai swords, but wraps it in a buggy, thoroughly unimpressive game.