• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 19, 2006
6.8

1. Aug 15, 2010
    Red steel is a hard game for me to review because I liked the game overall, but many of the game's glitches/problems could have been easily fixed. The hook of the game is that it is part shooter part sword fighter, but sadly the sword slinging is clunky and most of the time not much fun. The gun motion controls are also a bit of a problem, while most of the time they work fine some of the time they will freak out and you will start spiraling in a circle for about a second, but keep in mind this is very rare problem (it will happen once or twice the entire game.)The graphics of red steel are not award worthy or great because they are bland, gray, and overall terrible even for a wii game, but there are some decent explosions. Too add to this seemingly never-ending list of problems the story seems to be taken out of a d movie, and while some will laugh at this story other will just skip it altogether. Possibly the largest problem with this game is that it is only 5 hours long with no on line, but since the game now is the price of a wiiware game I guess that isn't a huge problem. Even though all these problems are true and in the game I am giving it a 6 because even though the game has its faults is also has many fun mini games, a variety of weapons, good local multi-player, an original idea, and most of the time fun fast paced shooting action. Now to recap I do not recommend this game to everyone, but to those who can accept its faults should definitely buy the game used or rent it. Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2011
    I didn't enjoy this game at all. The controls are totally not intuitive and don't feel natural for how a samurai would move. The gun is nearly impossible to aim. When get the game and hate it so much that I can't even bare to play it again after the first time, that can't even be considered a game, rather an expensive demo.
  3. Dec 17, 2010
    I wasn't really impressed with this game. I bought it because the comedic trailer made it look fun and pretty cool. That is until I played through the whole thing. The problems that I have is the health system. You die so easily, you will be over raged to break the TV screen. The aim is really difficult, I can never get my Wiimote balanced when I'm trying to kill someone. Some First Person Shooters are like that on the Wii. Plus the story was cheesy, so this game isn't so good. Expand
  4. Jul 10, 2011
    At the beginning of the the announcement of the first WII games, Nintendo had Red Steel( " We think that if we add a hard core game to it, we may gain more new players" ) i do not think this is so hardcore Nintendo, but i most say is great. The control is good and utilize all the gimmicks it needed. I complain a lot about the checkpoint, very irritating and sometimes the WII remote gets messy. I'm happy though that Nintendo made the risk. Expand
  5. Oct 26, 2011
    I played the 2nd game first and I liked it quite a lot, so I thought I would give the first one a try. The first red steel really sucks for me compared to red steel 2. I really liked Red Steel 2 but Red Steel 1 was totally bland compared to number 2. In number 2 you can use the gun and sword any time you want while in red steel 1 you can only use certain things at certain times. Swordplay is also much better in Nr.2 because of Motion Plus. I recommend to anyone to skip one and go straight to 2. You will get the story of 2 without having played 1. Expand
  6. Jun 24, 2012
    I feel this game was like a Golden Eye 007 for 64 attempt while adding rails, the game is ok but it put me to sleep quick. I love the original 007 but this game is ridiculous. The controls are crap and i disliked the game all together. Deserves a 4 for effort.
  7. Jun 25, 2012
    I bought this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power when it first came out. After buying it i found that it was a pretty good game. I see alot of people complaining about this game mostly because of the graphics and how its not realistic like the PS3 or 360. The graphics are good and who cares if it isnt just like real life.The story is good, the motion controls are good and reacts to your movements pretty well.Aiming with the gun is pretty easy and you can even tilt your gun sideways. If you're looking for a good game to play for your Wii Then buy this, but if you are looking for something that has "real-life graphics" then play something else. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2013
    This game has the same story as every action movie that has been made in the past thirty years.The action is terrible, the music sounds like it was made in the 80's and the controls are pure The more I played this game the more I really just wanted to return it. The characters are badly writing because they are Asian american stereotypes. You play as a bodyguard what is also marring the daughter of a very respected Asian gang. The problem is that a rival gang has killed your boss an stolen your fiance. That is the most lazy and reused idea EVER!!!!!! Its like zombies and vampires had a baby and the baby was born to play in a kart racer! This game was made just to show off the Wii's motion controls and that's it. This game is horrible and it shows with badly thought out game design and very little effect other than that when you move the Wii mote the sword moves almost a whole ten seconds after your actual movement. Avoid this game at all cost don't buy this for anything less than free. Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2014
    To begin with, I got my copy at a pawn store. Since it cost next to nothing (for a console game), I'm not price-quality-ratio biased. Even so, I can relate to the frustration of people who bought it at launch. Had I had my wii seven, eight years ago, woulda been a little disappointed either. But maybe not as much as to have it drowned in a puddle of diarrhea. It's also my first wii fps, so I guess you could say I don't know any better.

The game is flawed in many respects, with the katana fights on top of the list. It is easiliy the most crippled in-game mechanic here. But other than that, the control scheme ain't half as bad as I was convinced it would be, having read online reviews. The least them devs could have done was given us an option to somehow skip these mutilated katana duels.

Aside from them, it's not like the motion controls are all good at all times. Every now and then, the camera tends to freak out as if it has gotten dizzy, in later chapters. Or is it just my wii mote losing it? Keeping in mind how crappy the controls were for, say, Medal of Honor for PS1 (doesn't mean I don't like the game), it still is quite convenient, but for occassional wrist strain.

The presentation is decent. Wii may be supposed to be played on a classic tube tv but even if you connect it to a plasma, without an HDMI adapter, it won't make your eyes bleed. It could be better, though. Textures are blurred and the screen resolution leaves much to be desired. The backdrops are sort of claustrophobic for Ubisosft, who came up with the well-acclaimed and pseudo open-world Far Cry two years before (I'm talking the PC version, don't know how they fared with the wii port's 'open worldliness'). By way of contrast, Red Steel is more of a corridor shooter.

NPCs are not the sharpest tools but they do take cover (sometimes), as opposed to what people say on the Internet. But I have seen for myself that, five times out of ten they act like dumb cannon fodder. And they blinking go away, once you get rid of them. Where are the corpses to mutilate with your sword? I want more blood (ha ha ha ha - madman's laughter).

As far as the story is concerned, the game lacks cut scenes. It is a flaw, if you ask me. Events in the plot are presented in the form of picures/ drawings, which reminds me of first two Max Paynes, where you had comic strips to fill you in as for the goings-on between chapters. The thing is Max Payne in-game comic novel was well-made. Sadly, the one in Red Steel is not as good but it kind of does its job. Guess decent cut scenes were too much to ask for at that point, but then again there already had been more stylish cuts scenes for PS1 games.

The story asks you to suspend your disebelief, to say the least:). Although cheesy and cliched, it still is quality-B-movie enough to get you coming back to see what'll happen next. Not as ambitious as Deus Ex, to name one example, but hey, while we are at it - did Far Cry have a good story? I think not. All the same, it did not prevent some reviewers from praising it like it was the best thing since the sliced bread. While the truth of the matter is that the plot in Far Cry was as dumb as could be.

The price will have been slashed by now and Red Steel is no collector's gem. If you can get it for a reasonable price, give it a try. Even for the sake of gaming history, to see for yourselves what might have been, had the motion controls delivered like they were supposed to in first trailers.

1. It's liquid movement... A massive improvement on previous console FPS control... Not only making excellent use of the Wii's controllers, this is huge fun in its own right. For a launch title to get so much right is an indicator of great things to come. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  2. There are still some minor control issues, and the game is still incredibly inconsistent in terms of visual acuity, but in spite of this Red Steel is still an unquestionably fun game to play.
  3. Red Steel introduces a promising control scheme both for shooting thugs and for slashing them with samurai swords, but wraps it in a buggy, thoroughly unimpressive game.