Rune Factory Frontier Wii

8.5

1. Mar 5, 2014
    This is Harvest moon meets and adventure game. The crafting is good, but some things aren't worth making because there is too steep of a grind. The combat is nice in that you don't have to be a hyperactive 8 year old to do it. It's good for aging gamers and kids alike. There are some really annoying parts, namely a lot of plot holes, a gate that you can never open, a clock that you canThis is Harvest moon meets and adventure game. The crafting is good, but some things aren't worth making because there is too steep of a grind. The combat is nice in that you don't have to be a hyperactive 8 year old to do it. It's good for aging gamers and kids alike. There are some really annoying parts, namely a lot of plot holes, a gate that you can never open, a clock that you can never fix and really really annoying little runeys that you have to care for despite the old wizard boasting how well they grow in this land and do not follow a predator prey relationship like anything in nature. They seem to be there simply to extend the hours of game play that it takes to complete the story. They should have had a way to upgrade the harvester or if you get Candy's heart points up, she will care for the wretched little things.

They also should have had more than 3 save slots and having the ability to visit a friend's town and maybe leave gifts for them would have been a nice touch. Overall, it's a game that the whole family can enjoy and as far as I know the only adventure type game that is not turn based designed so that older members of the family can play too.
  2. Sep 27, 2015
    The game isn't awful. The colorful graphics will appeal to anime fans. But this is a rare example of a game that I actually trading in before beating. I've described it as an MMO without the MMO. It's Harvest Moon with an MMO-style combat system tacked on, where you just click the bad guy and wait for the battle to end. I think there was a Rune Factory game that actually had "A FantasyThe game isn't awful. The colorful graphics will appeal to anime fans. But this is a rare example of a game that I actually trading in before beating. I've described it as an MMO without the MMO. It's Harvest Moon with an MMO-style combat system tacked on, where you just click the bad guy and wait for the battle to end. I think there was a Rune Factory game that actually had "A Fantasy Harvest Moon" as a subtitle. What this means to me is that after the small world has all been explored, I just gotta get up every day and work. Work! That's not fun. It was fun while it lasted to explore around town and level up my tools and see what all I could do, kind of figuring out which female character I'd like to romance (if it's an anime, it's a harem anime). Sooner than I expected, I discovered how to grow a beanstalk up to the floating whale-shaped island where all the enemies are. I had to go back every day as I leveled up and could get a little further through the cave every time. Eventually I got to a dead end where there's a girl in a tower and I figured you gotta grow special flowers in her garden to draw her out. But I never did, because that was the point at which I decided this game wasn't worth my time. Expand

#44 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2009
#21 Most Shared Wii Game of 2009

1. Nintendo Power
    Frontier isn't for everybody, but it delivers on its promise of providing a deep, engrossing experience while letting you live a relaxing life. [Apr 2009, p.88]
    A great package, and one of the deepest RPG's on the system thus far.
  3. Game Informer
    Even when it fails, though, Rune Factory: Frontier is packed with so many other activities that there's always more than enough to do. [Apr 2009, p.85]