Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Wii

7.0

1. Oct 8, 2011
    Like all Harvest moon games/Run Factory games, its a love it or hate it. If you like the other games, you will most likely like this game. The farming is different in this game though. You can made a sapling but you can't water it to make it grow, you have to get monsters to do the work for you. It is some of the most fun i have had with a HM/RF game in a while. The story is also pretty good.
  2. Jun 28, 2012
    I put off buying this game, because I had read mixed reviews of the game, but when I found it on sale for $18 I had to give it a spin. I am really happy that I did. Oh and I should point out that I am a long time fan of Harvest Moon, and although I have bought Rune Factory games in the past I have never found one that I actually enjoyed until now.

First of all the bad because a few

First of all the bad because a few things bothered me about the game, but none of these things are bad enough to keep me from being totally addicted to the game: 1) A number of things take more button pushes then they really should, for example when you have a tool/weapon equipped you need to bring up the quick equip screen and press A to unequip it. This gets old after awhile. 2) Lack of a decent tutorial, in the beginning I ended up needing to check Gamefaqs just to figure out the most basic things. 3) The unfair % of bacheloretts vs bachelors. If you are going to add romance for both sexes please be fair about it. Plus having to play half the game as a guy, before switching seems a bit much.

Now the things I like. 1) The battle system is simple but very fun. I never liked it in earlier Rune Factory games, but I like it a lot in this one. I am particularly fond of the sparklers weapon, because how can you beat using two giant fireworks as a weapon? 2) Crafting tools/items and cooking are a lot of fun and their are so many expansions to buy and items and recipes to collect. Plus unlike some of the HM games I have played, when you fail at a recipe you know why you failed. 3) The characters are mostly great. I think there will always be some characters that get on your nerves when it comes to HM/RF series, but I like almost everyone this time around. Kelsey and James are my favorites though. 4) Farming is simplified, and that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you like. Myself I am finding this simpler way of growing crops very refreshing. No more need to water things daily or they die!! Woo Hoo!

5) Loving my giant golem, and using him to uncover new islands is great fun.

6) I could go on an on about this game, but let's just say I highly recommend it.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

The villager interaction, combat, and farming are all serviceable, but none of the singular aspects of the game are spectacular. Series faithful will no doubt dig this game, though they might be put off by the farming simplification.
  2. Nintendo Power
    Oct 6, 2011
    Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is good-looking and vibrant, with interesting characters, a compelling plot, and voice acting that's pretty solid. [Oct 2011, p.86]