• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 23, 2008
8.2

1. GabeS.
    Sep 26, 2008
    Having neverplayed the original DC version of Samba, and never having played many Wii games in general, I was a bit overwhelmed when I first tried this game. However, within minutes I was in the game and shaking those maraca's like crazy and having a lot of fun doing it! The controls took a little bit of getting used to, but after a song or two I had it down pretty well and was able Having neverplayed the original DC version of Samba, and never having played many Wii games in general, I was a bit overwhelmed when I first tried this game. However, within minutes I was in the game and shaking those maraca's like crazy and having a lot of fun doing it! The controls took a little bit of getting used to, but after a song or two I had it down pretty well and was able to progress into the next difficulty levels pretty quickly, though I never managed to quite handle the hardest level. I would definitely suggest Samba De Amigo if you like rhythm games, and even if you don't, I think it is worth trying out! Expand
  2. KellyP.
    Sep 26, 2008
    To be honest my friends and I just grab this game to mess around and were really caught off guard by it. However, we were all pretty drunk so we started playing this and couldn't put it down. Its like dance dance for your hands!
  3. AlexH
    Apr 20, 2009
    Sadly I missed out on the original. We didn't own a Dreamcast. But I loved the concept and was thrilled when they made a reboot for the Wii. And I love every second of it. The controls, admittingly, can be a little finicky at times. But I only failed a song in career mode once, and that was my entire time with the game, from easy to super hard mode. So I tend to believe that reviewsSadly I missed out on the original. We didn't own a Dreamcast. But I loved the concept and was thrilled when they made a reboot for the Wii. And I love every second of it. The controls, admittingly, can be a little finicky at times. But I only failed a song in career mode once, and that was my entire time with the game, from easy to super hard mode. So I tend to believe that reviews stating the contrary are a tad hyperbolic. This game is a winner! Infectious music, colorful graphics and a great premise. Amigo is my amigo. Expand
  4. JesseK.
    Sep 26, 2008
    Samba is awesome! I love this game. The music has even been remastered! I've been needing something that gets me off the couch and onto the dance floor and this is it. It's awesome. It even has some secret characters, customizable Mii support in game and some newly modeled environments. There also a really cool volleyball min-game that is a lot of fun. Great for everybody in the family.
  5. WhittonB.
    Sep 26, 2008
    Monkey-wielding, maraca shaking action at its finest. I had a blast playing this game with my friends, and the fact that they didn't wanna stop playing really means this will probably be getting quite the lasting impression, and probably a lot more attention as I invite more people over to have a blast shaking maracas with our revived old buddy, Amigo.
  6. JohnW.
    Sep 26, 2008
    Fantastic game. The control scheme takes a little getting used to, it's different than the Dreamcast version, but once you get comfortable with it you can do very well. I and my kids are loving it.
  7. KCL.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Interesting game! I never played the first game but this is definitely a good game. Lots of fun but it seams like a yonger crowd would enjoy it more.
  8. VoltaireT.
    Nov 9, 2008
    The controls works great, but require a lot of practice to master. Non-gamers can easily engoy EASY and NORMAL modes, but the HARD and SUPERHARD modes require a lot of patience. It your willing to learn, youll have a blast playing through the game, if not, enjoy th easy and normal modes. All in all, its a grewat game. Online leaderboards, downloadable content, its a blast with friends. The controls works great, but require a lot of practice to master. Non-gamers can easily engoy EASY and NORMAL modes, but the HARD and SUPERHARD modes require a lot of patience. It your willing to learn, youll have a blast playing through the game, if not, enjoy th easy and normal modes. All in all, its a grewat game. Online leaderboards, downloadable content, its a blast with friends. And its only $40. Expand
  9. StevenW
    Dec 25, 2008
    Great game, easily matches up to the one on the dreamcast. the controls are easy to pick up, it doesn't take long to master the maraca positions. fun from the start and something anyone can play. great choice of fun music, would be great for parties, its still the happiest game in the world.
  10. maxh
    Sep 24, 2008
    The controls were a bit difficult when I tried using the dual wii remote mode but for some strange reason, adding 3rd-party maraca controllers actually made the controls work a LOT more accurately. My best guess is that they tilt the controllers to just the right positions in my hands for the game to register the correct angles. I used the red "Samba Samba" maracas and had to get two sets The controls were a bit difficult when I tried using the dual wii remote mode but for some strange reason, adding 3rd-party maraca controllers actually made the controls work a LOT more accurately. My best guess is that they tilt the controllers to just the right positions in my hands for the game to register the correct angles. I used the red "Samba Samba" maracas and had to get two sets in order to use them with the dual wii remotes but it was worth the price. So, my suggestion is that if the controls give you trouble, get the maracas addon. For once, a screwy addon actually improves the controls. Wow! Expand
    Sep 26, 2008
    Great game, very user-friendly. The controls feel very responsive and work great for the game. However, the controls do take some getting used to -- but if you just play through training, it does a very good job of instructing you in their use. All in all, very pleasing and most impressive. This is a great game to play with friends!

1. That old Samba magic is still there, but the challenge is in beating the controls, not the game. This should have been way better, given the console's strengths. [Nov 2008, p.56]
    A really good game for casual gamers. I showed it to some non-gamer friends this weekend and they had a blast just playing on easy. I had to practically rip the remotes out of their hands to get them to stop. But here in the IGN office, fans of the original Samba pick up the remotes, crank up the difficulty, and find the controls to be almost unworkable.
  3. Apart from the obvious fact that party games have moved on an awful lot since Samba De Amigo first appeared, there's no denying that the control system just doesn't quite translate as well as it might have - and that can only hurt its appeal in the long run.