7.4

1. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is awesome, the critics are stupid. I think it has good mechanics, and when I got it, I didn't want to stop playing it. It is a very addicting game.
  2. Aug 28, 2014
    Sid Meier's PIRATES! is the best WII game I've ever played. It's on par with even the best next-gen games. The graphics aren't that good, but let's look deeper. Captaining a ship is daunting, and exploring is engaging. It also has some fantastic R.P.G. elements as well, with customisation, and several meaningful choices. You can side with countries, raid ports, marry Governors' daughters, defeat pirates, travel from port to port, and obviously, sail. The combat is engaging as well, were timing is key. These are the driving forces behind the best pure pirate game ever made. Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2010
    Pretty good port of a classic PC game. Its kind of aged, but it still is loads of fun. The motion controls are really the worst part about the port- sometimes it feels like I'm just watching the game play instead of playing it.
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    This version could have been great but falls into mediocrity due to many gameplay issues. The mini games have not been improved (dancing with the governors daughter is the same tedius affair as the Amiga incarnation!). In the map (when sailing) you should be able to zoom out and still see what ships are passing you without having to zoom back in again. In battle mode it is now too easy for a ship to escape off screen. In fact this port smacks of apathy from the games designers and programmers.

It is a shame, as buried deep down is still the awesome game that addicted us for years on the Commodore Amiga.

1. Feb 15, 2011
    The feeling of being left adrift in Pirates! is one that just should not be tolerated.
  2. Jan 5, 2011
    Sid Meiers Pirates for Wii is partially a missed opportunity. The game's a classic on PC, but the Wii version feels a little unessecary, since the new functions for this console doesn't add much to the experience. There's a lot to do in this game and it can get you quite hooked, but it could have been done much better.
  3. Dec 25, 2010
    Dated and unhappily ported to Wii. There is treasure, but you've really got to dig for it. [Issue#232, p.87]