5.6

1. Dec 9, 2011
    Even for a series that has never exactly been stellar, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure sets the bar particularly low. The story is exceptionally trite, the script asks very little of the voice-actors, and the gameplay is bare-bones simple (even as it holds your hand through the most rudimentary mental exercises). There are no platforming elements to speak of (you can't even jump in the console versions!) and practically any platforming-esque mechanic is either performed automatically (conveniently placed bounce-pads replace the aforementioned jumping) or is explained a half dozen times by in-your-face visual cues, constant narrative hints, and pop-up text explanations. The enemies in this game are laughable and should never pose the slightest threat to your life total. Graphically, the Spyro series was never really a powerhouse, and it is obvious that the same amount of effort went into this title. This could have been a PS1 title. It is marketed towards the elementary-school set, though, so it gets a pass. The toy mechanic itself is cute and sure to be a hit with kids from ages 9 to 90, but when taken as a whole with the design decisions in the game proper, it comes across as exceptionally aggressive marketing. Different characters basically play exactly the same as any other, even Spyro himself (which explains the loss of jumping and gliding: lazy design), with one financially relevant caveat. The element attached to each character serves as a key to access locked areas (ie: only a fire element skylander can unlock a fire element area) and a damage modifier is applied for certain elements in some areas as well. What this effectively does is force you to pay for additional figures in order to unlock the full content of your already expensive purchase. And why wouldn't you, after finding the character-specific advertisements sprinkled about each level that unlock abilities and short intro videos for figures that didn't come with the core package! There are already expansion packs available as well. When distilled to its purest form, Sklanders: Spyro's Adventure is essentially a poorly made toy tie-in game that thinks you or your children aren't intelligent enough to figure out how to solve basic challenges without being told exactly what to do in at least three separate ways. To unlock the full breadth of this franchise-turned-shovelware experience you must needs spend something to the tune of a hundred dollars, though you do get some cute toys in the process. And hey, at least there are hats. Expand
  2. Jan 27, 2012
    This game is the worst game ive ever played. This 1, is not spyro. They only used the name spyro for it to sell. They should of left spyro alone and started a new IP. But no, they yet again gotta ruin the spyro name. Why dont they learn and go back to the original spyro that always got good reviews. (not enter the dragonfly tho).
  3. Dec 24, 2011
    Once again Activision has paid all critics. The truth is that this game sucks almost as much than mw3 (that got really bad reviews from users) I you liked old spyro dont get this crap (even legend series was better)
  4. Mar 14, 2012
    This is not spyro. Thanks activison for AGAIN ruining a GREAT series. If a series is doing good, LEAVE IT ALONE and DONT TOUCH IT. Keep your grubby nasty fingers away from Ratchet and clank, Sly, and ty. You guys KILLED spyro. Legend of spyro was one thing, but slylanders goes over the limit!
  5. Jan 28, 2014
    Ok, LISTEN UP. I'm speaking from a long-time veteran point of view, so not everyone will agree with me. Does this game look good? Decent is a better way to put it. Is the humor/comedy funny? Hit-and-miss. Are the characters memorable? Only Spyro, Cynder, and Sparx. But the main reason I rated this game so low is because, first and foremost, it just DOES NOT feel like a Spyro game. I think the concept is neat, since it's never really been done before, but then even THAT isn't all well, as you must syphon out tons of money to get the game in the first place (if you're buying it for the first time) as it's roughly $40 for the game, portal, and starter characters, and another $10 - $20 for each additional character. And honestly, for being part of the Spyro franchise, this series has nearly NOTHING to do with Spyro himself. You don't have to use him at all seeing as there are other characters of his element, and I wish they could've put a lot more focus into Spyro. When I first heard of this game, I honestly thought it was a joke. Spyro's downright ABSURD redesign is the first thing I saw, besides the title, of the game, and I instantly knew it wasn't going to be all that great. I mean, THIS was the next big Spyro project after the glorious Legend reboot trilogy? And this project took the place of a Legend of Spyro MOVIE?! You can probably understand why I'm peeved about this. It upsets me that this is getting so much praise and frankly I don't think it deserves it. I wish Activision would "pull a Ubisoft" so to speak and split Spyro from Skylanders (Rayman fans will get what I mean by that); I feel I could enjoy Skylanders more if that were to happen. It's not really that Skylanders doesn't belong with Spyro (because duh, they're already together), but more Spyro doesn't belong with Skylanders. To bring us true fans back to Spyro's roots, any future Spyro games to come out of the series shouldn't be Skylanders-related. NOW, with that being said, I do have some positives about this game and its series; the controls are nice and easy to get a hold of, there are plenty of cool collectables, and the questing in general is quite nice. The graphics are ok, and the character designs (beside Spyro's) are alright, but like I said, most these new characters are forgettable. I feel very conflicted here, but in conclusion, if you just want this game for the action and clectables, then I say pick this game up, but if you're a long-time Spyro fan thinking this game will be even remotely similar to any past Spyro platformer, STAY AWAY. You will most likely be disappointed. Expand

1. Jan 10, 2012
    It's an awesome game, the only caveat being that it has more hidden fees than most airlines.
  2. Dec 7, 2011
    A fun, silly, occasionally challenging romp. [Dec 2011, p.67]
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    Skylanders has a smart concept that has been implented very professionaly. The toys that you use with the Portal really star in this game that is fun for young and old.