• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 3, 2009
6.8

1. Nov 14, 2010
    I am sad to report that Black knight took almost everything that was fun about Secret Rings and destroyed it completely. There is no point in controlling your character on such a strict linear gameplay path. The story which I will not spoil is Among the worst in the franchise, and possibly the industry. The battles with the other knights are not Cinematic or even exciting, they are more like a wagglefest you have to engage in, lose a couple of times, and then win. Not to mention Knuckles gameplay segments are COMPLETELY broken, I could not complete his origin level more than once because he wouldn't stop attacking when I so much as tilted the directional stick on the NUNCHUK forward.

The game should be avoided pure and simple, save your money for something else like the upcoming colors.
  2. May 14, 2011
    Even more gimmicky than Sonic Unleashed, but even more unoriginal. Pros: Excellent production value, including beautiful graphics, cutscenes, and level designs. Cons: Boring and repetitious gameplay that lacks any kind of speed or originality; often quirky control and camera; imbalanced battle arena mode.
  3. May 20, 2011
    The once-beloved Sonic series continues its mediocrity with another gimmicky and unoriginal game, but worse. Pros: Some of the best graphics ever seen on the Wii; engrossing cutscenes. Cons: No loops, no corkscrews, no originality; poor controls; repetitious enemies; awful mini-games.
  4. Aug 2, 2011
    I think Sonic Team has just thrown in the towel at this point. They've turned Sonic into the prince of persia (Secret Rings), a werewolf (Unleashed) and a Pokemon Trainer (Colours). Now he's a knight, although a schizophrenic knight with Multiple Sclerosis.
    Awful controls, awful camera control, awful gameplay, the most nonsensical half-assed plot since the NES days and a boss fight that is
    literally two quick-time events..
    To be fair, sonic team did include a large amount of extras as an apology for the laughably short campaign, but with no real desire or motivation to do so, I doubt anyone will bother to get 5-stars in the tedious 'tilt forward and waggle the remote till your arm is numb' level design
  5. Dec 1, 2011
    This game is quite honestly disgusting. It is not even worth five dollars. I ended up beating it in 2 hours max. Everything was gimmicky, and slow as hell. The levels never really felt like it was tailored for sonic, and they encourage you to rapidly wave the wii mote to swing the sword. You wave the wii mote, and two seconds later you get a sword slash. Its freaking sonic with a sword, he should be blazing fast with that thing. Instead he just feels encumbered by it. There iss no real story, no real conclusion. The game is like a half thought out idea. "Hey! Lets make sonic collect fairies instead of rings! Dress up his friends as knights and make them fight!" Thats about how far they got before they shipped the game really. The only cool part was him eating his chili dogs that he so freaking loves. Honestly, this game is terrible. Do not buy it. Borrow it if you must but I guarantee this is a waste of money. Expand
  6. Feb 23, 2012
    To be honest, I do not own this game. Nor have I completed it. I did, however, rent it in order to give it a fair chance. Thank God I did not waste my money on buying it! There is something to be said for simplicity, but some games like this one take this concept to a negative extreme. The gameplay (if one can even call it that) in Sonic and the Black Knight consists little more of holding up the control stick on the nunchuck and constantly swinging the Wii remote back and forth. Sound dull, shallow, and frustrating? It is; it also leaves you with a sore arm. To be fair, maybe the game gets better at a certain point, but based off of what I have seen and read in various reviews, I highly doubt it. Even if Sonic and the Black Knight does get gradually better as time goes on, it would not be worth the high levels of frustration and boredom at the beginning of the game. The only pros about this game are that it looks great (especially by Wii standards) and that putting Sonic characters into an Arthurian world and plot actually works surprisingly well. These two characteristics, however, are the only good things to be found here. If you really want a Sonic game, get Sonic Colors, Sonic Unleashed, or even Sonic and the Secret Rings. All are much better picks; just avoid this game at all costs. Final score: 4.5. Expand
  7. Jul 13, 2012
    Sonic and the Black Night was fun at first, but the levels became annoying after a while, the graphics were in a storybook format that I didn't enjoy, and once I beat the game, i didn't really want to go back and try for higher scores. On the other hand, the swordplay was an intresting aspect and the levels were somewhat satisfying. I would recommend renting this game before buying it, simply because when you complete all the levels, you might very well put the disk back in its case and leave it in a pile of discards, never to be played by you again. Overall not the worst sonic game but a far cry from the best. Expand

1. If you're looking for an engaging, unique, well-polished take on the world's most famous hedgehog, Sonic and the Black Knight delivers. [Mar 2009, p.88]
    This is a Sonic game that craps all over everything that has ever made the series interesting and then adds pointless waggle.
  3. Mindlessly shaking the remote gets old and the easy missions pose little challenge, but the storybook presentation, well-animated cut scenes and wealth of hidden items make Sonic and the Black Knight worth a rental.