• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Feb 20, 2007
6.9

1. Jun 7, 2011
    This is a HORRIBLE DISTURBANCE OF THE SONIC STORY LINE! Why would sonic READ anyway....(sigh) what the heck happened to get the freaking Chaos Emeralds???? Not a good game for die hard sonic fans...But good graphics!...
  2. May 4, 2013
    I've played almost all the sonic games, and I have to say this is probably the worst. It's the controls that kill it. In what could have been seen as a brave move by the developers the player controls sonic by holding the wi-mote horizontally and steering sonic like a car. Sounds good in theory, but unfortunately it's like steering an old car with broken steering and no reverse gear. Controls aren't nearly responsive enough, and the hit-and-miss homing attack will have you tearing your hair out in frustration and you fall to your death time after time. For the life of my I can't understand why the devs didn't allow alternative control schemes, such as the classic control or even steering sonic with the nun-chuck. Mario Kart does this, Sonic and the secret rings doesn't. Some good ideas here but at the end of the day the controls are virtually a game-breaker. Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2012
    If it wasn't so damn hard to control it would be a great game.
  4. Jan 26, 2012
    History is really no big deal. Not terrible, but more bad than good. Gameplay is bad compared to other good Sonic games. It's quite repetitive and boring. If the game had cutscenes, it would be a little bit more involving, but no, they decided to make it with pictures, and that sucks. Resuming: The game has a bad history, it's quite repetitive and not involving.
  5. Feb 21, 2013
    this game is ok, but i personally do not like it. I dont like the controls, as well as i dont generally care for the way the game is designed. I definitely wouldnt call this a bad sonic game, I would probobly give it a 7/10 as a game, but i personaly did not enjoy this game. i liked the level up concept, alot actually. And the graphics and music were pretty good as well. But i really dont care for the on rail mechanic, as well as the controls. if this game had controls similair to sonic and the black knight (you know, minus the swordplay) i think this game would actually be decent. but the controls are too akward and unresponive. Not a bad game, but one of my personal least favorite sonic games. Expand
  6. Oct 30, 2013
    THE GOOD: The soundtrack is fantastic. Some level designs look great. The mini-games are fun, have different modes, and actually make good use of the motion controls.

THE BAD: The Main story mode is not very fun. The motion controls are unreponsive and awkward. The story is meh. The villain is forgettable. The mini-games are more enjoyable than the actual story mode. Very linear
    gameplay. It feels like the game plays itself.

One of the worst Sonic games I have ever played. Not recommended. Skip it.
  7. Apr 8, 2014
    A modern Sonic game has enough going against it without starting it off with a long series or mind numbing tutorial tasks that can zap the fun out of even the biggest Sonic supporter.

While Sonic and the secret rings looks nice on the wii, It's hard to get past the ridiculousness of the strict tutorial that proceeds to make you relearn every game mechanic the has been created in the
    last 20 years. Combined that with a cumbersome menu system in the tutorial which instead of just automatically bumping you to the next lesson made you troll back and forward through unnecessary obstacles just to reach your next boring objective.

Secret Rings could have been something somewhat decent if it wasn't for pure interface design choices that just drains any enjoyment to be had.
  8. May 26, 2013
    I've had my share of bad Sonic games: Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, even Sonic Heroes wasn't that good to me. But none of them come as close as this abomination of a Sonic game. The plot for the game is very far out there: I've seen pretty crazy concepts for plots before, but nothing like Sonic going into a story book to save the Arabian Nights. The new characters in here are just as bad. Shahra is very poorly developed, and Erazor is one of the worst villains I've ever seen in a video game. the gameplay doesn't help either. It gets very repetitive when all Sonic can do is go constantly forward, and go left and right in a straight pattern, and the control use of turning the wiimote forward and sideways to move around feels extremely unnatural. The graphics, even for an early wii game, aren't that great at all. the characters look like plastic, and the environments look very bland. Another thing I absolutely hate is party mode. the party mode in this game tries so hard to be a Mario party clone, and it fails terribly at that. Even with all these things, however, there is one thing I can say is fairly decent about the game: the soundtrack. Most Sonic games have soundtracks ranging from good to amazing, and this one is no exception. I don't really like the main theme of the game, but everything else about the game is pretty catchy. But even with a good soundtrack, Sonic and the Secret Rings manages to fail terribly on story, gameplay, and control. this is by far the worst Sonic game I've ever played, and I highly recommend staying away from it. Expand
  9. Apr 9, 2013
    This game was poorly done by Sega: 1. It's on rails last time I checked with this game all you do is moving the Wii remote left or right that is it they is nothing to it, nothing to the game too. 2. It does the game for you, it ends so easy. We all loved the old games Sega did back in Mega drive so why did you stop of making them and make them into this new game? It's a shambles of a game next time I hope Sega does put more thought into their Sonic games as I won't be buying anymore if they like this on rails.

Waste of time of any ones, sorry Sega fans but this game is a complete disaster to say the least they is no fun using Sonic this lame way, don't buy it!
  10. Mar 13, 2012
    Most unplayable glitchy failure of a sonic game. I can't stand the controls. Graphically it looks horrible, and the physics don't work... Oh yeah, and its something that would've been made 10 years ago. Another disaster from sega. What a pity.

1. An encouraging sign that good Sonic games can still be made. I had a tremendous time exploring the different stages and the skill points add a bit of depth to an otherwise straightforward game.
    Although Sega deserves praise for Secret Rings' innovative single-player adventure, the less said about the four-player party mode, the better. It's another low-budget "Mario Party" rip-off that stretches out a few weak gameplay concepts into multiple multiplayer contests.
  3. By no means perfect, but it's still a fantastic game that finally gives the blue blazer the sort of fast-paced, slick action he deserves. It's tricky to master but once you do it really shines. [Mar 2007, p.62]