• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2010
8.4

1. Nov 16, 2010
    I can't be too critical of this game, compared to the quality of Sonic games in years past, Sonic Colors paints the way forward for a new generation of 3D sonic games. The game uses the camera smartly, and transitions from 2D mode to 3D are actually VERY creative (like in one part, sonic will do a 270 degree turn around a fountain to shift from 2D to 3D), which if you remember Sonic Heroes, yeah, you won't have those issues here. The Wisps are used well, they don't seem underused or overused to me. Why? Because Sonic is supposed to be a fast blue blur for most of the action, not using some weird gimmick 75% of the time. The levels are well... beautiful. They are easily some of the best graphics a Wii game has ever seen. Gameplay wise, it has a few knots here and there (hence a non-perfect rating), Ive gotten trapped in an area once before requiring restart, and some of the pitfalls were rather... cheap, but aside from that, this game has great appeal to any Sonic fan young or old. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2010
    It's a mixture of 3D awesomeness and 2D action adding some catchy music and a difficulty that really challenges your stuff. Buying this game would be the right choice for any Sonic fan.
  3. Nov 16, 2010
    This game is just plain epic! When Sonic Colors was first announced, I was nervous about this game and thought it would just be another failure of a Sonic game....if I had a time-travel machine, I would go back to that day and slap myself in the face just because of how wrong I was. Gameplay wise, this game is like the daytime stages of Sonic Unleashed, but improved a lot. I never had any camera issues, the shift from 3D to 2D and vice versa is very smooth, the level design is beautiful and very creative, the controls are excellent and responsive, and the wisps add a large amount of replay value to the game. The music in the game is fantastic and even gets me humming to it at times. The graphics are beautiful, SEGA and Sonic Team really pushed the limit on the Wii's hardware for this game (how do they do this?) And last, but not least, the voice acting is awesome, and really makes all the characters really show their personalities and not make them seem like lifeless zombies. In conclusion, this game is a must-buy for anyone who is a Sonic fan. Even if you aren't a Sonic fan, but own a Wii, you should definitely buy this, because it is just too good to miss! Expand
  4. Nov 16, 2010
    Being a UK player, I had the pleasure of being able to buy this game earlier than the US buyers, and now I can finally post a review. My opinion? This Sonic game is easily as good as, if not better than Sonic Adventure. Gameplay wise, it is very similar to Sonic Unleashed, with 3D and 2D sections switching seemlessly during play. However, the level design is a hundred times better than Unleashed. Bottomless pits are far less common, and the few 'surprise' ones are preceded by a warning sign on the HUD, alerting you. This is good because the game has a very high exploration value, something no 3D Sonic has done in big detail, with multiple routes through every stage - if you tried exploring and died because it was actually a pit, players would get very aggravated. It is still played quite fast, but some sections are played slow, and are very similar to the platforming sections in Sonic 1 and 2 in terms of how you approach them. The Wisps are the game's way of mixing things up a little. This is not another Werehog or Emo with guns however, they are very fun to use. Each provides Sonic with a power, usually essential to pass a small segment of a level, but more often than not, they aren't essential at all unless you want to take other routes or collect all the hidden red rings. The levels look amazing, the graphics and art style in this game are utterly amazing - I would consider calling this a low level 360 game in terms of graphics, which is excellent on the Wii. Falling through space, with materializing spaceships below you is one example of this game's visual beauty. The soundtrack is equally as impressive, and I can't actually name a single track that is poor. That, coupled with an excellent presentation, with great gameplay coupled with replayability makes you come back for more. I know for a Sonic game, this shouldn't be an important factor, but the storyline in this is far better than the past 3D games. It is less serious, the writing is excellent for once, and the new voice actors for Sonic and Tails are more suitable than Griffith by far. You may laugh a few times at the dialogue too! The co-op levels are a lot of fun alone, and to get the 'special reward' by playing all 21 of them, they are mandatory, but they aren't that great with two people playing. This is the weakest part of the game, but if you don't hope for a good co-op experience with Sonic, this game is essential. I would recommend this game over Sonic 4 anyday, and I would recomment this game anyway. It is not only a great Sonic game, but a good game. Don't rule Sonic out yet, he still has a chance! Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2010
    It's a good thing this game is for the Wii, because that's the only system it should be on. With it's amazing graphics. Awesome game play, and great story. Sonic 2006 would cry if they saw it. (probably why sonic 2006 was for the 360 and ps3). But putting this game for the wii was a great choice cause it was fun. fast and so much fun to play! Sonic colors brought sonic back to life! It's the best sonic game I've ever played! Expand
  6. Jan 9, 2011
    Everyone thought that Sonic 4 would bring Sonic back to the platforming glory that he was in the 90's. I was surprised to find out that Sonic Colors does everything Sonic 4 does and MORE. With beautiful graphics, stunning visuals, insane speed, well designed platforming and sharper controls that Sonic Unleashed, this is the best 3D Sonic game ever made. No, wait - the best Sonic GAME ever made. No, scratch that - the best GAME ever made!

Sonic Colors will always have you questioning: am I really playing a Wii game? The graphics and visuals are on par with 360 standards, and quite possibly PS3 standards!

The game initially looks like Sonic Unleashed, but you will soon realise it is so much more than that. The sharper controls make the game so much smoother, nicer, and easier to control, which also leads to the huge amount of platforming in the 2D sections of the game. And you now may be thinking that this will just introduce cheap deaths. Let me say that I have not encountered a single cheap death in the ENTIRE game. The levels are extremely well designed and the attention to detail is just astonishing.

BUT: There is more to this game than just Sonic Unleashed daytime stages with extra platforming. There are now little aliens called 'Wisps' which give Sonic new abilities, such as the Laser, which let's Sonic zoom along and bounce of walls and surfaces, depending on the direction you set out for him. Others include the Drill Wisp, which let's Sonic dig through ground at high speeds. These Wisps do not break the game or stop the fluidity of the gameplay, as they add their own unique and fun twists, which can sometimes lead to entirely new paths to explore.

Sonic Colors is also a game for all ages - both hardcore and younger fans alike will adore this game. Everything was bang on in this game - even the framerate never dips, which surprises me.

I recommend this game, and I hope you will like it as much as I do.
  7. Nov 16, 2010
    Sonic Colours is definitively a really great step on Sonic's franchise. The good speed, the nice visual effects, the fact that gimmicks are more controlled and a nice challenging platforming.... all these can tell Sonic Team has managed to break the so called "Sonic Cycle" at last.
    The music in the game is really good too, Jun Senoue, music leader, once again shows us some of his jazzy and
    catchy inventions of the music world, this guy keeps surprising us!

Overall, this game should deserve at least an 8, but the happiness is so high after trying the game that I would rather give it a 9
    The bad point is that the multiplayer mode is really basic, it'd would have been better if they worked more on it, you'll understand if you play it.
  8. Mar 6, 2011
    iKombo 10 Its official...Sonic Team was abducted by aliens for the past 10 years... Because I do not, NAY REFUSE to believe that the same Sonic Team...is RESPONSIBLE for this utter MASTERPIECE... The music is classic enchanting Sonic fare, and you will be humming the tunes for months if not years. The atrocious 4Kids voice actors have been replaced (except Robotnik) with a far superior cast, that truly befits the nature of the Sonic series. The graphics....BEST ON THE WII...nothing even comes remotely CLOSE... The environmental made me gaze in awestuck wonder, oftentimes I forget its all IN GAME!!! No **** HUBWORLDS ANYMORE!!! Just straight up classic gameplay. Not to mention the new Wisps mechanic is awesome, and provides tons of replayability throughout. DID I MENTION 2 PLAYER CO-OP?!?!? Yep its in there. This is not only the best Sonic game of the DECADE (considering how **** the series games have been over the recent years) but my favorite Wii game of 2011!!! It may even be my favorite GAME of the YEAR!!! You think I'm kidding don't you? NO. Stop reading if you've ever been a fan of Sonic... This is the game...the one, the one that brings a LEGEND back. BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY RIGHT NOW!!! Expand
  9. Nov 19, 2010
    Truly the best sonic game made since Sonic 3 and knuckles. I don't think there needs to be much more said than that. Now SEGA, continue getting better from here on. You just won my trust back guys.
  10. Nov 16, 2010
    This the best sonic game from the past 20 years or so. And incase you didn't know, the blue hedgehog has been over many bad games over the years but this one is so good that it even surpasses the originals. I highly recommend this to any sonic fan out there!
  11. Dec 21, 2010
    A very good game period. From the start the game gets going then eases you into the story. A very clever touch that not even modern day Mario games do. This game has got to have some of the most unique and clever platforming bits of any modern day platforming game. But the game does have its imperfections. For example, Sonic's jump maybe a bit floaty for some and the momentum that carries on in his jump may feel a slight bit slippery, but very manageable for those who take time to learn its physics. Overall the game is short and sweet with no filler just Sonic. Sonic Colors is a great platforming game for Sonic fans and platforming fans alike. Expand
  12. Nov 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Colours is easily the best Sonic 3D game since the Adventure days. It ticks all the boxes. The visuals are some of the most beautiful on the Wii. Vivid colours, smooth models and all at a good stable framerate. The sounds are also great too. Apart from a couple of tunes, like the main theme Reach for the Stars and the end credits theme Speak With Your Heart, the soundtrack is top notch catchy orchestral tunes. Even the voice acting sounds way better. This complimented with the funny and lighthearted script make for some actually bearable cutscenes. Now onto the gameplay. This is split mainly into two sections, 3D and 2D. The 3D sections are fast, kinetic and beautiful. It's really all about speed here, with drifting, quick stepping, loops, corkscrews and ziplines all making for a thrilling experience. The 2D sections slow down the action a tad to focus on precise platforming, and this is great fun. It's nice for a 3D Sonic game to FINALLY have precision platforming. And it works great thanks to the tight physics and controls of the game and whilst these do get a bit of getting used to, the double jump, stomp and jump dash all help to round the experience. The main new addition to the gameplay is the Wisps. For the first time EVER, we have a Sonic "gimmick" that doesn't completely ruin the experience by completely changing the core gameplay, but rather enhances the core gameplay to make it more fun. The Wisps really add a lot of variety to the game, and allow you to explore the boundaries of Sonic Colours' vast and impressive level design. They're really great fun to use, whether you're drilling through cake or sea, rocketing up to the skies, rolling on walls and ceilings or devouring anything in your path, each Wisp gives their own nice touch to the gameplay. If this wasn't enough to make you buy the game, the inclusion of the Red Rings allows for great replay value. You will feel oblidged to collect all of the Red Rings, gain as many S ranks as possible, play through the challenge mode and challenge the Game Land. Oh yeah and did I mention that SUPER SONIC is PLAYABLE in this game in the levels? All the more reason to buy this game. The only complaints I have are the fact that the bosses are stupidly easy and rather unispired due to the fact that they are rehashed in the game, and the fact that the physics and controls (whilst good) could still be a tad tighter. Other than that this is the best Sonic game in YEARS. PLEASE get this game. It will be worth it! Expand
  13. Dec 20, 2010
    Our old pal Sonic here has had a rough few years. His new 3D games have been from bad to mediocre to OK. His latest ones being Sonic Unleashed and Sonic & the Black Night are the only OK ones to tell the truth. Then came Sonic 4 which was unsurprisingly very good. I loved every moment of playing it. But it seems like SEGA have left best till last and Sonic Colours does just that. A combined mix of 2D and 3D glory which will eventually lead to Sonic being a gaming God again. The characters have got new voice actors and everything and Sonic finally sounds like a 19 year old. And Tails finally sounds like a boy. The best 3D Sonic game yet in my opinion. Bosses are awesome and the idea for the plot is awesome too. Eggman has built a huge Theme Park and is draining the power of these aliens called Wisps. They're kind of cute really but they are the Power Ups of this game. And they're the only good gimmick in a Sonic game yet. In fact they're so good to toy with that I don't even think I should call them gimmicks. Brilliant stuff. Level Designs and Graphics are colourful too and has the catchiest theme tunes yet. Yes this is one huge neat package of a game but there are 2 flaws in particular which I would like to point out. One is the multiplayer. It is fun no doubt but only when your smashing your friend's head! One screen just isn't enough for two Sonic's and just ends up being a tug of war! Argh! Another thing is the very unexpected difficulty spikes. They just come out of the blue like a click of a finger! Well apart from those flaws this game is masterful! A brilliant 9/10! This is Mewtwo465 saying goodbye! Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2010
    Fantastic game. EASILY blows every other 3D Sonic game out of the water, has lots of platforming, powerups, and best of all THERE IS NO HORRIBLY MEDIOCRE ALTERNATE GAMEPLAY LIKE MECH SHOOTING OR TREASURE HUNTING IN THIS GAME. it's all good old platforming from start to finish.
  15. Jul 20, 2011
    Since Sonic Unleashed, many fans and critics stated that Sega should make an entire Sonic game based on the daytime stages of Unleashed. And thats exactly what Sega did, Sonic Colours is basically Sonic Unleashed 1.5 minus the werehog. The game will you at least 5 hours to complete, but 15 hours to collect everything. The only criticisms I have is that the difficulty will occasionally spike causing several cheap deaths and for those who enjoy Sonic Unleashed, you will feel a sense of deja vu but not enough to water your overall experience. Expand
  16. Nov 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics, sound, controls ,and gameplay this is a wii must have! This game mixes 2d and 3d very well and the speed is there as always. The wisps spice up the already great experience sonic colors gives you!!! Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2010
    This game manages to take the true spirit of Sonic. It 's fast, fun and frenetic. It has all the ingredients to be a great game. Finally came a hedgehog game worthy of its name. Sonic Colours is absolutely superb.
  18. Oct 7, 2011
    Easily breaks the "Sonic Cycle" Let me start by saying that there are many who are just trying to find any small detail to fully crucify this title. It breaks the cycle! It actually does not suffer from bad level design flaws that punish the player unfairly like the ones found in (insert most popular plumbers name here) the highest ranking Wii plat-former known. Idiots don't understand that just because you can run at full speed does not mean that you should always do so. The game is practically flawless in its design and punishment is only at the players fault. The game can be played casually and offers more challenging routes for those who wished to be challenged. After completing the game and going for speed runs the game shines more and more, and its a sad thing that many still think that this is on the same plateau as Sega's past Sonic garbage.

I know this game has been out for some time but after seeing the UNDESERVING reviews it really pisses me off and lets me know some people choose to still be butt-hurt over past. Let me make this easy!

1=It has great level design and does not punish the player. Deaths is mainly the players fault 99.9% of the time in this game, unlike the chubby plumbers most recent titles on the WII.

2=Tight responsive controls, easy to pick up, hard to master!

3=Seamless 2D to 3D transition with shifting control layouts to EFFECTIVELY convey feel and movement!

4= Whisps are not really gimmicks! whisps are no different then powers obtained in past Sonic games, such as Fire, electric or water shields. Its just switching out an item box for ability icon!

5=Music and presentation are the best ever seen in ANY mascot plat-former game to date! Yes it can be a subjective statement but the game looks like a Ps3 or 360 game, not to mention, but the design is amazing and surreal like Genesis era Sonic games. Great MUSIC!

If you are curious about this game RENT IT, and I m sure you will fork over if you like plat-formers and have left your bios feelings at the door. I read some of the reviews and really, some like Destructoid.com is really badly composed and analyzed and is what has led me to this opinion.
  19. Nov 20, 2010
    This what a 3D Sonic title should have been so many years ago. Sega, please do not have Sonic with a sword again.. All things aside, I have been loving the levels in the game; some of them are some what lengthy and others are speeds bursts of fun. The music is also good, yet it can remind me of Super Mario Galaxy sometimes. Get this Sonic game, you'll have loads of fun!
  20. Nov 17, 2010
    Over the years, we all know what happened to sonic his game started to go on a downwards spiral into horridness this game takes back everything you though bad about the series it has great visuals , stunning environments , speedy fast gameplay , and all and all it's not too short of a game either this packs together awesomeness of what any sonic fan wants out of a sonic game the only criticism i have is that in the 2d gameplay the jumping can be a little floaty to throw you off it's easy to look past and get used to this game is amazing and i love it! Expand
  21. Nov 20, 2010
    good game i love how they designed the levels, everything seems together i feel like im playing adventure batle all over again ALMOST... This game just proves every release they make the series only gets better, from the first release on wii to the newest (Sonic colors) Sega made a major improvment through the cycle, i wonder what sega will come up with next.
    Once again good game.
  22. Nov 16, 2010
    If Sonic Heroes was the beginning of Sonic's fall from grace, then Sonic Colours is his return to former glory. A mixture of the best elements of Unleashed and the Genesis titles, Sonic Colours capetalizes on the few good elements recent Sonic games introduced whilst going the extra mile to fix all the criticisms. With beautiful presentation, an amazing soundtrack and near flawless level design, Sonic Colours is unarguably the best Sonic game released in the last 15 years. Hindered only by a few questionable design choices (Notably things like how the quick-step is controlled) Sonic Colours is a must-own title for any gamer; Sonic fan or not. Expand
  23. Nov 19, 2010
    Sonic colors is THE 3D sonic game we've been waiting for. Having played the game myself, I can safely say that this game is far from disappointing. Sonic colors Boasts 45 levels in all, each with alternate routes to extend replayability. All in all with an average skill at sonic games, I cleared the whole story in 5 hours flat. Controls are spot on, and the wisps ADD to the core sonic gameplay rather than take away as previous ideas had. Unfortunately, there are a few minor issues to address. While not terribly hindering, there are Difficulty spikes of extreme magnitude as the game progresses which could be damaging to some players. Most deaths will be caused directly by YOUR ability to adjust to these spikes on a moment's notice(and there are some really evil ones). The story for once isn't overly dramatic; it's short, sweet and to the point with some nice humor thrown in. , though I won't spoil anymore than that. It's the perfect step for the franchise as a whole, my new favorite sonic game this generation, a few more tinkers however and you could have yourself a dream sonic game. Expand
  24. Nov 17, 2010
    Graphics are amazing, as is the music. It's the most fun I've had in years..no, scratch that, most fun ever! While short, it has enough challenges at the end and replay value to remain fresh for a long time.
  25. Nov 20, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is really something else. I myself am a Sonic fan, so of course I've bought many mediocre or worse Sonic games, but even I know the difference between good or bad. And this is not a bad game.

We all know Sonic Team's track record, so I'm not even going to say anything about it.

I will say that this game does well to differentiate itself from Sonic Unleashed, which I did enjoy. For one thing, the exclusion of the Werehog automatically makes this game much better in comparison.

Differences from Sonic Unleashed include an improved drift, simplified controls, exclusion of the annoying quick-time events. Plus there's an emphasis on platforming. Though most of the game takes place in a sidescrolling perspective, it's a great 3D Sonic game.

The actual 3D areas are the biggest flaw, they're very simplistic. There's barely any platforming or enemies, most of them are either too short, too automated, or they completely center on dodging or drifting. Unleashed, for the most part, had better 3D areas, where you got to choose which action you did in any 3D area. But in this game, there are three types of 3D areas: Quick step, freeform and drift.

The game definitely has somewhat of a learning curve and becomes more fun the better you get at it, and the game also goes from being a bit simplified at the start to becoming a bit more complex.

The new gimmick in this game being the wisps, they're obviously important. But this time, they are fun, after you learn how to use them. The game becomes much more fun when you unlock all the wisps, opening up new paths and giving you lots of replay value in previous stages after you've beaten the game.

The graphics are among the best I've seen on the Wii, up to par with Super Mario Galaxy 2. This is a huge plus, because the stages look amazing in this game for the most part. Too bad this game isn't on an HD console, because it would really benefit from it.

The music is actually one of the best things about this game, excluding the two vocal themes. Cash Cash needs to stay away from Sonic games, period. But otherwise, the soundtrack is right up there with the Classic Sonic games.

The controls are a problem, in some ways. After all, even though the game has four controller options, out of the three that I have used, only one comes off as being well implemented.
    Funnily enough, that's the Wiimote by itself, on its side.

Why? Because the analogue stick was programmed badly for this game. I will say that much, since it's so stiff and really frustrating. In 3D areas, your turning is really "heavy" with any other control option, it's like trying to turn a car that has terrible turning. With the d-pad on the Wiimote, it actually becomes a lot more fluid, it seems to respond faster and much better as well.

Anyways, this game has great level design, and the first three bosses are actually pretty well done. But they get rehashed a few times, which takes away from how special or good they are.

The last boss is actually Doctor Eggman this time, in a giant Nega Egg Wisp machine of some sort. This is easily the best boss fight in the game and really makes me wish it were longer.

All in all, if you're a Sonic fan, get this game. It's really good. If you're a fan of platformers, this game's definitely for you as well!

If you don't like platformers or Sonic games, why are you reading this review?

Anyways, 9/10. There were enough flaws to stop it from being perfect, but in no way is it a terrible or mediocre game.
  26. Nov 21, 2010
    The day-stages are just like Sonic Unleashed, but even more exotic and graphically pleasing. As for the gameplay, the mix of 3D "race as fast as you can" boosting sections are well balanced with traditional, sophisticated 2D (2.5D) platforming. As for music...just wow....

The Red Rings give the game huge replay value, unlocking new stages and a certain special something at the end....(no
    spoilers) Expand
  27. Nov 23, 2010
    Sonic Colors for Wii is no doubt the best 3d sonic game to date, if it can be called a 3d sonic game as 70% of the game is side scrolling, but that's probably for the best. The side scrolling sections of the game are similar to the 2d sections in Sonic Unleashed however in Sonic Colors there is a heavy emphasis on platforming. (Not the slow Werehog platforming from Unleashed, i'm talking about the nice speedy platforming from sonic's genesis games). While the 2d sections are amazing the 3d sections are a little lacking, they're not bad they're just not as good as unleashed since it lacks in how you control Sonic, because now in Sonic Colors drifting and side-stepping are restricted to certain sections. It doesn't ruin the 3d game, but when you don't have those abilities it feels like something is missing. The big new addition to the game is the wisps. Some wisps like the yellow wisp are very well executed while others like the cyan wisp and the nega wisp are hard to control. Overall though the wisps add to the level variety and are in no way a negative "gimmick" like what Sega has done in the past. The levels themselves are beautifully done this is remarkable since it's on Wii. The variety between levels is also present and each level is vibrant and alive, you can't mistake Starlight Carnival for Sweet Mountain or any of the levels with each other. The Story is actually pretty okay it's not bad but it's not worthy of awards either, the plus side to it is that it's NOT annoying and the new voice actors also help with the lack of annoyance. Overall Sonic Colors is a great game, it seems like the "sonic cycle" has finally been broken. 9/10. Expand
  28. Dec 6, 2010
    My personal opinion: I really have to praise this game. I admit that I was often disappointed about Sonic nextgen games in the last few years. I loved the graphics of Sonic unleashed but I hated the control. So I was quite critical while playing Sonic colours the first time but my concerns were needless. Pro: Sonic colours combines fantastic graphics and precise control. The music is funny and thrilling.
    The level-compositions are imaginative,rich in variety and are a lot of fun to run through.

Contra:
    A little bit short ( 2 or three planets more would ve been nice ) Overall Sonic colours could be the best nextgen-Sonicgame available at the moment ! I utter a recommendation to buy !
  29. Dec 15, 2010
    Introduction
    I enjoyed playing Sonic games on the Sega Genesis as a child. I have not played any since then, until now. From what I have read about previous games not being received well, I can say that you have nothing to worry about with Sonic Colors. The game brings back fond memories of that wonderful blue blur, is an absolute blast to play, and feels faster than ever before.

The
    story behind Sonic Colors seems straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon and does quite a decent job of laying the foundation for the rest of the game. The game takes place in an interstellar amusement park created and run by Eggman, a.k.a â Expand
  30. Nov 5, 2011
    If you haven't played this yet, what are you waiting for? Visually impressive, neat soundtrack, very colorful, and the most important thing: fun, very fun. Good level design, but controls could be improved a bit. Definitely a good comeback for Sonic, that was just now topped by Generations.
  31. Apr 28, 2011
    I have to say, Sonic Colors is the best 3D Sonic game in years. Heck, I think it's even better than Adventure 2. STORY: The story is pretty simple, the way every Sonic game should've been. The only main characters are Sonic, Tails, Dr. Eggman/Dr Robotnik, and Yacker if you count him as a main character. I'm very happy that the only returning secondary character is Tails, instead of overdosing with the mediocre characters like the past 3D titles. Anyway, the game takes place entirely in space, but it's NOT a ripoff of Super Mario Galaxy. (I cannot stress that enough.) Dr. Eggnik has built a planet-sized, egg-shaped amusement park and has chained five planets to the park and altered them into attractions, claiming it as an apology for his terrible deeds. Sonic, suspicious, decides to travel to the amusement park, along with his pal, Tails. But the game doesn't show a cutscene before starting a game. The game starts IMMEDIATELY, which was kinda weird for me. After two or three acts, a cutscene is shown. And I think it introduces Yacker, a white alien from a race called Wisps, being chased by Orbot, a red, ball-shaped robot introduced in Sonic Unleashed, and Cubot, a yellow, cube-shaped robot introduced in this game. Sonic saves Yacker and a similar looking light bluish-green Wisp. Afterwards, the unknown Wisp, named the Cyan Wisp in the manuel, absorbs into Sonic's body and the hedgehog zips offscreen uncontrollably, ending the cutscene. That's all I'll say. You'll can watch walkthroughs for the story if you want. GRAPHICS: Woooooow, this game looks aazing for the Wii! They seem like ediocre Xbox 360 graphics, and that's saying something when it comes to a Wii game! I think they're as good as Super Mario Galaxy 2's graphics, but that's just me. You'll have to see this for yourself. It proves that the Wii has the potential to have 360 graphics. MUSIC: Jen Senoue isn't involved with the music in this game. But if he was, I just can't help but think the entire Colors soundtrack would be mostly rock. Anyway, this music is just GREAT. the theme song, Reach For The Stars, is probably a love-it-or-hate-it song, but I really like it. My favorite track from the game is either Aquarium Park, Tropical Resort, or the final bos track, an orchestral version of Reach For The Stars that's just plain AWESOME. And my least favorite track in the game is still a good one, Asteroid Coaster. I'd buy the soundtrack in iTunes if I could. GAMEPLAY: It plays just like the Daytime Stages of the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, which was praised by almost everyone except people who just want to hate on it. The Spin Dash and Ring Dash are excluded from the game though, but can be acquired by the abilities of the Wisps. There are eight different types of Wisps and they can help you reach new passages: The white Wisps only fill your boost bar, the cyan Wisps transforms you into a laser and allows you to ricochet on walls and the ceiling, the orange Wisps transforms you into a rocket and allows you to shoot straight up into the air and slowly fall down, and five more. You have to complete certain stages to unlock the Wisps though. You can also use the new Wisps in older levels, allowing you to reach places you couldn't reach before. The jumping in the game will take a bit getting use to, but it's not impossible to hop to a certain platform like Jim Sterling of Destructoid says in his wrongful review. the levels are 2D and 3D, but the game mostly consist of 2D levels. That's where the jumping gets taking use to. DIFFICULTY: It's a mixed bag, most reviewers say, but It's pretty challenging to get an S rank and collect every red ring in the game. The level design is a little off and it's slightly trial and error. You can't just rely on speed and ring collecting to get an S rank, you also need to use the Wisps and destroy enemies, and find certain areas to collect more rings, which also gets added to the score, making it more fun if you ask me. The bosses are too easy, but can also be a pain when trying to get an S.

REPLAY VALUE: You'll be playing this for some time if you're trying to complete the entire thing, but if you just speed through this, it's pretty short. There's also a Challenge Mode, making you play every level again non-stop. The total score from completing the game can be posted to the leaderboards, but it's been hacked for now, I think.

PROS: Great graphics, very few characters, nice speed that isn't overwhelming like the 360 SU, Sonic is the only playable character, the voice acting is FAR better, and the Wisps are great power-ups that aren't forced on you.

CONS: The multiplayer isn't good at all, cheap deaths, easy boss battles (but a satisfying final boss long overdue in a 3D Sonic game), and the dialogue can be cheesy, but still okay.

I give this a 8.5 out of 10.
  32. Aug 3, 2011
    Ahh the best 3D Sonic Game since Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. It takes Daytime Levels from Sonic Unleashed MINUS the boring WereHog levels EQUALS Loads of Fun! Awesome Music! Colorful Graphics! Decent Replay Value due to the Red Rings and the Ranking System. Whether you're a Wii owner or a Sonic Fan you should absolutely get this game as it is just plain excellent as it's my Second Favorite Wii Game Behind Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. End of Story. Expand
  33. Jun 8, 2011
    Sonic Colors is a really fun game, and I had a great time playing it. It's a great mixture of 3D and 2D playing environments, and the addition of new powers in the form of Wisps is highly original. The level design is amazing, controls are easy to learn and highly responsive, and there is something new everywhere. And for once, voice acting in a Sonic game is actually good! I recommend this game far more than Sonic 4. I did have a few issues, though. While I liked Game Land in general, the cooperative mode is just bad. I also wish that Super Sonic could be unlocked before the game is 100% completed. Honestly, I had to look at a guide to figure out how to unlock Super Sonic. But, those minor flaws do not stop Sonic Colors from being a great game. What I like best about Sonic Colors is the super-cool powers. FRENZY! It's hilarious. Sonic & Eggman are also quite comical themselves. Overall, this game is good, great, awesome, outstanding, and amazing. Expand
  34. Aug 12, 2011
    This game is so beautiful that staring at the stages while running smoothly would be enough for me to buy it. There are great innovations and - thankfully - we can only play as sonic. No strange characters! Its incredibly fast, creative, entertaining. There are some difficult steps though that can annoy you sometime, but overall great fun!
  35. Sep 10, 2011
    Sonic has always been my favorite video game mascot of all time, and so far there has only been two bad games, Sonic R and Sonic and the black knight, and this is one of his greatest games of all time. Fantastic graphics, great gameplay, good voice acting, and great boss battles.
  36. Sep 28, 2011
    Sonic Colors is the first Sonic game I've come to enjoy since Sonic Adventure 2. So we're a decade later, or so, and we've had nothing but mediocre to crap titles. Now Colors is here to prove to us Sonic isn't dead, he's just been in a coma and Sonic Team didn't know the best way to bring him back. Story wise, the game is targeted for a younger audience. I fee like I'm watching something on the same level of humor and intelligence as Spongebob. And while that annoys me, it doesn't outright stop me from playing. But there were some incredible opportunities that this game missed. For example, near the end, I thought the wisps were going to turn on me because the cut scene gave me the tension that they would and that the game would suddenly take a darker, less kid-friendly tone. Nope. Turns out that the wisps are all about awkward pauses or something. But I do like how ROBOTNIK stayed in the villain's chair the whole time and didn't get punked out by giant lizards, water gods, robots, or anything else for once. Aesthetics are the best in a long time. I thought that Sonic Unleashed looked really good (admit it, the game wasn't perfect but the visuals were good). But every level looks good. Every cutscene is... eh... okay. I think they focused more on gameplay this time around over anything else. So, gameplay! Finally, a game that works like it probably should. No major gameplay bugs to cripple it. No stupid gimmicks to hate. It's classic platforming at its finest. I honestly couldn't ask for more... except a chocolate mountain. In short, if you like Sonic, even after all these years of mediocrity, then give this game a chance. It is worth the price and time. It only makes me look forward to Sonic Generations that much more. Expand
  37. Nov 6, 2011
    Previous Sonic games like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic 06 were not bad, but this is another good one. Sonic remains as fast as he was in Sonic Unleashed, but without the werehog. The wisp power-ups in the game add some extra fun, just like the power-ups in Mario games
  38. Nov 9, 2011
    Without a doubt 3D Sonic games have taken a steady decline from what used to make Sonic so original and fun. Nevertheless Sega is actually trying to make things better with the franchise. Sonic Colors tries to fix all of the past 3D Sonic game bugs and adds new feautures that mixes up the gameplay to keep things fresh. The Final result it actually a damn good Sonic Game. This time instead off adding huge game tweaks and introducing new characters Sega tries to play it safe for the hedgehog. Sometimes a little too much. The game plays much like the daytime stages from "Sonic Unleashed" only that not only are the stage designs superior but also has thrown into the mix some interesting powerups called wisps. These are mostly fun and keeps things from being repetitive but at the end feel a bit underused in what could have been some crazy but unique level desings end up being casual. But still Sonic Colors is the perfect return for the blue blur in what seems to be a better future for the overall Franchise. I highly recommend every wii owner to give this game a try. Its safe to say Sonic is back. Collapse
  39. Nov 24, 2011
    Everyone, Sonic is back! It's obvious that Sega saw Mario Galaxy and thought it was a good idea, they applied some of it to Sonic and we have a fantastic game. This is the best Sonic has been in years. The only real fault I can find in the game is some of the level design can be a little off. But it doesn't really distract from the fantastic experience of the game overall.
  40. Jun 25, 2012
    This game is the best 3D Sonic game I've played, yet. The gameplay is fantastic, the graphics are breathtaking for a wii title and looks nice than many xbox 360 or PS3 games (no joke, check it out yourself), the music is great, and the story, while simple, is really well-written. I picked this game up with much skepticism because aside from the two Sonic adventures (some parts of them), I did not have a good time with the little blue hedgehog. His games got so bad over the years and it just made me wonder what the hell Sega was doing. But after I picked this up, played it, I was amazed as to how much Sega improved Sonic. Gameplay: The game, while known as a 3D Sonic game, is actually mostly 2D (about 90%), but for some reason, it works. There are 3D sections, but many of them require you to steer Sonic or Sidestep out of an enemy's attack or something, which can be fun, but is very unlike the adventure titles. As far as the actual speed sections go, they're great. You get boosts to go faster, you get to grind on rails, you get homing attacks, etc. As you play the game you'll encounter these little creatures known as wisps. These little cretins will allow Sonic, once he acquires them, to transform into different types of shapes. Some even let Sonic do the spin dash and light speed dash. The greatest things about these guys is that you don't have to use them aside from one or two spots in the game. They are completely optional. And that's how a gimmick should work: it shouldn't be shoved down a player's throat. After you fight some of the bosses of each world (which are really easy), you fight the last boss (which also is really easy and is Eggman), once that happens, the credits roll and you beat the game. BUT WAIT, if you replay the game again and try to get these red rings (five per level), you'll be able to unlock stages in gameland, which are Sonic Simulators that emulate genesis style level designs. These are a lot of fun, and if you manage to collect all seven red rings hidden in each level and beat all the simulator stages, you can unlock super sonic. Just like in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, after getting 50 rings, you'll be able to transform into Super Sonic, who is much faster and has unlimited boost. Only downside: you lose one ring per second and you cannot use wisps, but it's really fun using him and breezing through levels. No last boss with Super Sonic though =( But not a big deal. The game also features a challenge mode where you can go through all the levels in order without any interruptions from the hub world or cutscenes; you can't save your progress though, so if you're planning on doing it, make sure you have about 90 minutes to spare. its sort of like playing the genesis games, where there's no save feature (for Sonic 3, doing the no save file). I usually do challenge mode. Each stage also gives ratings, the highest being S, and the lowest being D. S ranks are very difficult to do in some stages as they require going through the stage fast, keeping your rings, and getting high scores with combos. My only problem with the gameplay is the slightly finicky jump and the fact that it's mostly 2D. But these aren't really much of an issue. Gameplay gets a 9/10. Music and Sounds: The soundtracks in this game are gorgeous, I especially like the Planet Wisp music. Every soundtrack is done so well and fits the world and stage they are in. I haven't been so impressed with a Sonic soundtrack, and I've played many Sonic games. The opening theme is also quite catchy. And the cool thing is, aside from the opening and ending themes, all the music is non-vocal and just instruments. Music is fantastic and it's just nice to listen to on its own. The sounds are also very well done. Voice acting is top notch (they hired new voice actors for Sonic and Tails who sound MUCH better than before), and the jokes presented are hilarious. The sounds made when hitting a robot are satisfying; it's just fantastic. 9/10. Story: Eggman's at it again. This time he's saying h wants to prove to everyone that he's good by building a giant amusement park for people..IN SPACE. But he is obviously not the good guy he makes out to be as he uses the Wisps to use this power and does so to destroy Sonic. It is up to Sonic and Tails to stop Eggman's plans. Simple, but good story. And I gotta say, the script is probably the best I've heard in a Sonic game. It actually made me laugh at some of the jokes that were said. Great story. 10/10. Graphics: The game looks gorgeous, especially for a Wii game. It's probably one of the best looking Wii titles out there. 10/10 Overall Sonic Colors is a very good game. I recommend it to all Sonic fans, and non-Sonic fans alike. This game gets a 9.5/10 from me. BUY IT. Expand
  41. Nov 27, 2011
    Haven't enjoyed a Sonic game this much since Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast. The sense of speed and graphics quality has only been recently surpassed with Generations on the PC. If you like games with times and rankings where you can constantly replay and improve, then this is the game for you. The sheer variety of gameplay, and the "one more go" style of play, makes this a must-have title for the first generation Wii.

Sonic done right!
  42. Dec 24, 2011
    One of the best sonic games so far,if not the best!
    The game has awesome music, Epic gameplay, not very hard and it has good controls, physics etc...
    Every thing that the fans complained about is cured in this one game.
    If you are new to the franchise this is a great game to start, and if you are a hardcore sonic fan they this will make you wet your pants with piss and diarrhea...BUT!If
    you are a total old school fan and don't like modern sonic games 1.this will change your mind and will make you a normal sonic fan or 2. you will complain like some of these reviewer that give this game a 0 and ****
    So that it :)
  43. Dec 13, 2011
    another awesome game from Sega. this game is worth getting.this game is great or awesome defintely awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It rocks ............
  44. Feb 12, 2012
    sonic colours is an almost perfect sonic game, the second best out of all of them, it has really fun and unique game-play, an awesome sound track, a lot of things to do, a good storyline, all these things are awesome...but there's a not too great coop mode and not amazing presentation.
  45. Sep 24, 2014
    I think this game is not great as Sonic Unleashed HD because of story and music, but Sonic Colors is fun, fast, and a great reason to buy Wii. With great graphics for Wii, good level design, this game is awesome.
  46. Dec 15, 2012
    To start off, I got this game thinking that I need to play more platformers. Also, this is the first Sonic The Hedgehog game I have played.

In this game, You are Sonic The Hedgehog, running at high speeds through each level. You will speed through 3D sections and traditional 2D sections. The wisps are a nice addition, and collecting them allows you to use them as a power-up. some early
    wisps you will encounter will be the cyan wisp (turns Sonic into a high speed laser) and yellow wisp (turns Sonic into a drill to explore underground). This whole purpose is executed very well, and it's fast and fun. The graphics are very nice. The backgrounds are bold and colorful. each planet has it's own theme, as you will be seeing a food themed planet with popcorn pits, an alien planet that Eggman has been to recently, a Tropical resort, and others. Cut scenes are usually interaction between Sonic and his two-tailed fox friend Tails, and I got a few laughs from these nicely animates cuts. One of my major complaints about the game was that I think it kind of feels short. Maybe it's because I didn't have a lot to do on the summer holidays, but this game is still HOURS of fun, as you will go back to levels to grab those hidden red rings or after you discovered a new wisp. The multiplayer isn't great, if any one of the two Sonics speed ahead then DEATH WILL HAPPEN *dun dun dun*

I really enjoyed this game. I highly recommend it to any owner of a Wii.
  47. Jun 26, 2013
    This is definitely one of, if not the best 3D Sonic game out there. Everything from the level design to the graphics to the voice acting is spot on. Special props goes to the story, which is fairly normal and not full monsters or outer space dinosaur battles (which were admittedly pretty awesome).
    The soundtrack alone makes this game worth a purchase, as it is one of the best soundtracks
    I've heard from the Blue Hedgehog.
    All in all, this is an excellent 3D Sonic game that's worthy of any Wii owner's attention.
  48. Sep 4, 2013
    BEST 3D SONIC GAME EVER. This game to me is amazing, I love this games story and dialogue, this game has some of the best graphics on the Wii, an phenomenal soundtrack and the best gameplay in a sonic title since Sonic Adventure 1. I would recommend it to everyone. Even people who aren't sonic fans, you might love it.
  49. May 26, 2013
    Because of Sonic's rough times in the 2000s, I thought Sonic may be over soon. but when I played Sonic Colors, I knew his reign of horror was over. The story is quite simple; probably one of the most simple in any Sonic game. but it also manages to tie things together so that it doesn't stay too simple. this is just the way I like it in a sonic game, and I'm glad this plot wasn't as involved as previous ones. The gameplay is really great. While it is much like Daytime Stages from Unleashed, this game is full of just those stages, and I love it. though I can't help but complain that the zones are adding more acts for filler. about 2 or 3 acts will be within a reasonable stage time, while others range from 30 seconds to a minute and a half. but at least the soundtrack when I play these stages is great. Color's soundtrack is the best I have ever heard in any game. each tune fits perfectly with each zone, and I could easily remember what each zone sounds like. The new voice direction is great too. I found it pretty cool that Ezio Auditore is now voicing Sonic, and Tails' new voice actor fits perfectly. Dr. Eggman has his same voice actor, who still does Eggman excellent as always. The graphics are, like the title says, colorful. I must say all the colors make it some of the best graphics on the Wii. The Wisps, while a great concept, are probably my least favorite part about the game. each one feels like it's being milked constantly so that you always need to use it, and I don't understand why sonic can't do things like the lightspeed dash or spin dash, but can do them with certain wisp powers. The only one I really like is the drill, which helps when you go underwater. I love the fact that Sonic can now swim again. after being unable to swim for years, it's great to see water stages again, and this time, they aren't as hard as previous water stages thanks to the drill. A new aspect introduced in this game is red rings, which, when collected, unlock stages in the sonic simulator. the sonic simulator itself is kind of bland, along with its multiplayer, but it's the only way to get chaos emeralds, which, when all red rings and chaos emeralds are collected, allow access to super sonic. I haven't unlocked this yet, since there are so many red rings, but the fact that super sonic can now play freely in 3D stages is really awesome. In the end, Sonic Colors is not only my favorite Sonic game, but one of the best games I have ever played. while some fans say Sonic will eventually revive, or say it has been revived, I say this game brought Sonic back on top, and I would definitely recommend it to any Sonic fan. Expand
  50. Jul 26, 2013
    Who could give this game such a low score? Sonic Colors really got our favourite blue hedgehog back to his roots. Or should I say, back on his speed shoes, hehehehehe...
  51. Nov 7, 2013
    This is a great game. Simply magnificent. The story fits so well with the plan of Eggman's misdeeds back in Unleashed. Also..Chip....spot on, Sega. The 2P mode is awesome and great, so you can enjoy the game with friends. The Egg Challenge mode is truly epic. The wisps are a truly efficient way to getting around the stages and they're so awesome..well, that's my review.
  52. Jun 25, 2014
    Like 3D world is what Mario should be, the same can be said for Sonic Colors! Truly the absolute PERFECT sonic game! There are 7 worlds (corresponding to the 7 chaos emeralds) and every world has 2-4 music track that are only slightly different for each level in that world, but every song in that game is absolutely perfect! (not as perfect as Metroid Prime, but hey, still pretty good) Playing as super sonic, is awesome! you can infinitely boost, invincible, but you can't double jump.... so.... yeah. The color powers are the best part of this game, each does something different, & awesome, but they don't even feel like gimmicks! I can't find any bad levels, maybe 1 or 2 mediocre levels, but his game is AWESOME! The only bad time i had with this game was finding all of the red rings, but since i found them all in bulk, & unnaturally unlike what i did in 3D Land, it was very stressful, so, don't do that. By the way, i like playing as regular sonic better. Expand
  53. Feb 11, 2014
    This is Sonic's greatest 3D game. With a great sense of speed, and overall enjoying platforming due to outstanding level design as well as a few new tricks, Sonic is at his best.

The level design is split up into 3D sections where you're encourage to travel at high speeds and 2D sections where you'll be doing your platforming. The level design is done in such a way to hide the controls
    short comings. In previous 3D Sonic games, the level design seemed to revel in forcing you to wrestle with the control scheme. In 3D, it's very difficult to control Sonic's side to side movement, good thing they just give you a straight shot. This alleviates any problems there would be since there's nothing to make it an issue. This makes for a good burst of speed before you get to a more serious 2D platforming area. These focus more on the wisps and Sonic's standard abilities. They play through quite well, and offer a good amount of variety and challenge. There are a few color powers that are difficult to handle, in particular the laser and the frenzy. Fortunately, the areas where you need them are simple enough, but when you're going for a red star ring, it can be downright infuriating how flimsy they are.

This game does offer some particularly good music. It may be some of my favorite in the series. Graphically, it's also very impressive, with a lot of moving parts and onstage action.

By aligning the level design and the control schemes to the various tasks of 2D and 3D, all the terrible camera issues and control issues that have plagued Sonic are minimized to a relative non-issue. Furthermore, with the ability to go through every stage and every boss, I can finally do a proper marathon without menu interruption, and the stages are all enjoyable enough that I don't mind doing so. I may just do a marathon right now.
  54. Jul 31, 2014
    So, my fiancee are moving to a different place and I wanted to get him a gift for when we got there so that he'd feel maybe a little more comfortable about everything. Of course, his favorite games are Sonic games so I went to research...looking for a game he didn't have (which is hard to come by) but since he only just got a wii (because I've had a wii and we're just moving in together and I'm taking my wii) I got him this game because it was apparently a hidden gem of Sonic games. I ended up giving it to him early and it's turned out to be his favorite Sonic game yet. Not only does it give you the speed you want in a Sonic game it provides a beautiful atmosphere and interesting stages, a solid storyline and goals/objectives but it also has a rockin' sound track. The controls are good and the classic wii remote is allowed (which he likes since he doesn't like the wii-mote). There are a lot of good things to say about this game and it's one of the best sonic games to have come out in years~ Awesome game and I'm glad he loves his gift. It's a must have for any Sonic lovers out there. Expand
  55. Sep 17, 2014
    Sonic the Hedgehog is by far my favorite character of all time. He's cool, he's a badass, and the best thing of all...he's fast. Of course as of late for some reason Sonic has been sort of on the slow side. Running at speeds my grandmother's car could perform, instead of blowing past modern day fighter jets.

Sonic Colors however lets you relive the speed of his past in either super
    awesome 3D or super awesome 2D. The Blue Blur is once again just that, a blue blur. Speeding through stages so fast you can hardly see them is a treat, but if you stop and look at the stages they all look extremely nice, especially for the Wii. Sonic is back at sonic speeds in Sonic Colors. Nothing beats running through these gorgeous stages at mach speeds, and when it's Sonic doing it that just makes it all the nicer.

Now being a Sonic fan does not mean I'm merely saying this because he's the man. In truth because of my love for the hedgehog I tend to be much harder on him then others. I know when a Sonic title sucks and I will bash those sucky ones until the cows come home. This one however is one of the absolute best Sonic titles yet. It's even better in my opinion then the original Sonic the Hedgehog and can stand next to my favorite Sonic title, which is Sonic & Knuckles.

The color powers you get from the little aliens (wisps) makes the game so much more in depth then any Sonic title before it. Now you have multiple ways of getting to your goals, which just makes things awesome. So you want to go super fast? Laser power for you. So you want to jet yourself into the air and freefall back down? Rocket power for the win. The color powers add so much more to the game and way past being a simple gimmick. The stages implement them well and make even the blue hedgehog seem all the faster.

As for music the music is amazing. That opening song now plays in my car pretty often, and even the stage select music is cool. Stages have wonderful themes that all match the stage itself and they just add to the overall feel and speed of the game. In short the music is nothing if not amazing. I could probably listen to many of the planets music for hours and still not have heard enough. Some of the best music from a Sonic title and that says a lot as Sonic's music has always been awesome.

As far as the story goes I quite like it. It's Dr. Robotnik up to his old shenanigans and Sonic needs to stop him. It's a good formula because at least Robotnik tries something different every time. You know...instead of kidnapping the same princess and getting stopped by the same fatso. I can't talk about the story as that is considered a spoiler, but once again it's nice. I liked it and once again you get to watch Sonic do what he does best. Smart off.

As for graphics it is amazingly beautiful as far as the Wii goes. The Wii is quite used to hashing out ugly messes that look like they were created for the PS2. This game however with it's smooth animation, clear backgrounds, and amazing looking effects is jaw dropping for the Wii. I can say it is the prettiest game I've seen for this system yet. Even Sonic himself looks pretty smooth and dare I say, smexy? Watching him dart about on the stages is a blast.

In the end this Sonic is well worth getting. If you're new to the series this is a good way to get into it. If you're a fan of the old Sonic then look no further. The Blue Blur is here, and he's proving to his fans that he's still got what it takes to beat up Baldy McNosehair.
  56. Oct 19, 2014
    Easily my favorite Sonic game ever. The story was a good time, gameplay was good. I loved the powerups, and Sonic was his classic and humorous self. Simply put a must have for Wii Owners.
  57. Nov 11, 2014
    One of my all time favorite Sonic games. Sega definitely got the right formula with this one. I have very few complaints, and I'll go over the games details briefly.

The graphics are very nice looking for a Wii game. At several points, specifically the opening level of the second world, I was almost blown away by all the bright lights and colors all around. The game doesn't have many
    lag or framerate issues either, so another major plus.

The gameplay is very fun. Sonic has plenty of speed, and most stages can be speedran if skilled enough. The wisps are a gimmick, but pulled off remarkable well. Most bosses are relatively easy and repetitive which was a disappointment. The game takes roughly three hours to beat, but I spent almost ten collecting the chaos emeralds and unlocking Super Sonic.

The music is stellar, per the norm for Sonic games. "Reach for the Stars" is a solid main theme, and when played as orchestra at the end was beautiful. The Aquarium Park theme was also wonderful, one of my favorites.

The story is simple. It follows a clear and simplistic path. Children may enjoy the storyline, but adults may lose interest.

In conclusion, this is a very good game and one of my favorite Sonic games. I would definitely recommend this game, and immensely enjoyed it.
  58. Nov 9, 2011

1. Feb 2, 2011
    If you have enjoyed previous Sonic games but were hesitant to pick this one up because of the most recent Sonic outings, worry no more. Sonic Colors is worth the price of admission.
    Fast side-scrolling Sonic successfully combines the "classic" platformer with 3D action. Colorful environments and nice level design make new Sonic really catchy. [Issue#199]
  3. Jan 13, 2011
    Sonic Colors is hands-down the best Sonic title to be released in nearly a decade, and definitely one of the best titles to hit the Wii in the past year.