7.4

1. Nov 14, 2010
    Overall it really wasn't a bad game but it wasn't a good one. The last minute port decision did not help it, and neither did the 3:1 Night:Day. The controls were precise to Dimps credit. I really can't say much to it's praise though. It was a step in the right direction. Hopefully they'll follow it.
  2. Oct 18, 2010
    Ugh. The game is a split between (questionably) good speedy Sonic gameplay and clunky brawling gameplay. When I played this game, I didn't get a sense of thrill or fun that I did back in the days of the SEGA Genesis. When stacked up against Sonic Unleashed for the XBox 360 and PS3, this game is an absolute joke. The graphics are subpar, especially for a Nintendo Wii game, and it lacks any personality of its own. The colors are desaturated and the levels just aren't a joy to behold in this version.

To the game's credit, this was a 3D Sonic game developed by Dimps for the most part, who had never really had a hand in making a 3D Sonic platformer before. I'd say they should never try again, because the gameplay for Sonic's speedy sections leave a lot to be desired. There is little fun controlling Sonic and even less fun trying to punch at little demons in the so-called "Werehog" levels. The bulk of your gametime will be spent hacking away in the nighttime "Werehog" segments, where only a brief period of time inbetween that and storytelling will you get a chance to run at the speed of sound yet again, which is the entire point of a Sonic game to begin with. This game is excessively mediocre.
  3. Dec 13, 2011
    This game rocks !!! I recommend this game is worth a look !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I this game deserves a perfect 10/10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Apr 18, 2013
    Although this game is a step in the right direction with the hedgehog engine, the Wherehog balanced it out. Even so every thing was monotonous. Even the day stages were the same.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    The Sonic portion of this game is really good! The monster sections are like a list of everything you do not look for in a Sonic game. If someone re-released this game with just the Sonic parts it would be one of the best Sonic games to date, but having to deal with the Werehog just makes the whole game not worth it. Everyone who isn't a die hard Sonic fan should do themselves a favor and skip this game completely- go play Sonic Colors instead. Expand
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    I agree that the werehog sections are very boring and pointless but i enjoyed the sonic levels very much.Graphics are fine,gameplay much better than the past sonic games and the game has little to no bugs,considering the past sonic games which they had many bugs.A good game and is a must for sonic funs
  7. Jan 9, 2012
    when you are playing with Sonic, the game is OK. But when you transform into a wolf, it's boring compared to sonic gameplay in the day time. The game isn't that fun, but is a little bit enjoyable, but there are way better sonic games out there.
  8. Sep 11, 2012
    While often overshadowed by its HD twin, Sonic Unleashed Wii is, in many ways, better. And no, the Werehog sections aren't as bad as some would make you believe.
    This game is split into 2 level types: Day and Night. The day stages are simply amazing. The 3D sections are the best 3D sections in any Sonic game to date - yes, better than Adventure, better than Colors, and better than
    Generations only because Generations' controls aren't tight. The 2D sections are fun too, though they seem a little too on-rails compared to Colors' Wisp Power-ups. The night sections... well, although they aren't great, they still are fun at times, and the motion controls make the night stages far superior to the HD version's. The boss fights (both day and night) are among the best 3D Sonic bosses to date.
    The graphics are top-notch. The game has some of the best graphics on the Wii, and definitely had the best graphics at the time it was released (yes, better than Super Mario Galaxy's). The sound is great too. The day stages' music are some of the Sonic series' finest, the night stages' music fits perfectly, and even the hub and menu music will get stuck in your head. My only complaint in this department is Jason Griffith's voice acting as Normal Sonic (Werehog Sonic's VAing is fine).
    Overall, Sonic Unleashed Wii is a great game. The night stages change the pace and have interesting gameplay, but it's the day stages that make the game. Buy this game if you have a Wii.
    Sonic Gameplay: 10
    Werehog Gameplay: 7
    Graphics: 9.5
    Sound: 9.5
    Replay Value: 8.5
    Overall: 9/10
  9. Nov 3, 2012
    Before this game arrived I loved certian sonic but then this game came. It's a brilliant game and the best 3D sonic game. The game is not perfect but it is still very amazing. The only flaw with the game is the controls for the wherehog but you can use the classic controller. The Graphics are brilliant in this game and the cutscenes are amazing.
    The game plays realy well and the Day time
    stages ae just outstanding and the enviroment is brilliant.
    The hub world is diffrent to the HD versions but that isn't bad. The replay value is very good and you can unlock many extras like art.
    Overall: This is the best Sonic game to date even with the wherehog. The Gameplay is brilliant in the Day time stages and the night time stages are allright. For a sonic fan this is a must get.Also the soundtrack is even better and it sounds brilliant.
    Gameplay:8/10
    Music:10/10
    Graphics:8/10
    Presentaion:9/10
    Extra Value:8/10
    Overall:9/10
  10. Jan 11, 2014
    Why nighttime levels? Why werehog? Why make a sonic game without speed? The day stages is awesome, but the most levels is in night mode and the day stages requires much less time to complete in another words, this is a sonic game with no speed and boring stages in most of time. Who is next steep? Make an FPS game without guns in most time? For day stages, i will give 10 as score and for night stages, ZERO. Expand
  11. May 3, 2013
    There are really fun levels and really cool music themes and cool bosses to beat. The goal is to get all the chaos animals and beat Dark Gaia. He is massive. The disappointing part of the game was that it was hard to find out how to go to the next level.
  12. Oct 24, 2013
    I couldn't really decide to give this game a 6 or a 7 but I eventually chose 7 since it's a Sonic game. The game is really good on the Sonic stages but by the time it goes to the Werehog stages it becomes ok.
  13. Jul 1, 2013
    I loved most games I got. This game ruined my love for the Sonic games for a long time. The night levels were terrible, and the storyline sucked. The graphics were okay, but Sonic and The Black Night was more aesthetically appealing. Terrible.
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    sonic Unleashed is one of the best Wii games you can get that not from Nintendo. The Wii port is the second best port of the game (Xbox 360 port being the best.) the Wii port is fun as on other systems. The day time stages are best part of the game while the night time stages are slow and combat base, but still fun and fast pact in combat. The graphtes are great for Wii standards and the controls works perfect. The story work and easy to understand. Sonic Unleashed is a game a sonic fan should own in hisher collection. Expand
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    This game was a very nice sonic game. I admit it may have its flaws (Like too many were-hog stages) But at least they were enjoyable. The fast paced action and humor give this game my rating of 8
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    Playing through Sonic Unleashed can be a complete joy to anybody that enjoys platform games. The issue is the sort of platforming which is present in Sonic Unleashed...it's not what a Sonic platform video game should be, in fact...it's the complete opposite. While the Wii version offers more interesting and fun controls than other versions, Sonic Unleashed is too slow and lacking actual Sonic game-play to be a great Sonic game. Expand
  17. Dec 30, 2013
    As a Sonic the Hedgehog fan, I have to say to whoever designed the gameplay: you idiot! The night stages are extremely boring thanks to terrible gameplay, and the daytime stages are not much better. To top it off, the daytime stages, which would otherwise be pretty decent, are so short (2-3 min. on average) and far between that the majority of the game ends up being the awful nighttime stages, which also happen to be several times longer a piece. Also, worst ending ever for a Sonic game. Honestly, they could have cut off the ending entirely and it would have been better. The extra challenges are the only thing saving this one from a zero, since they are actually amusing (well, the daytime ones anyway). Expand
  18. Apr 13, 2014
    This game is a Wii highlight. Don't pass out because it's the "inferior" version. I love this game. All of the day stages are extremely well designed, and I can tolerate the later Werehog stages, To me, they actually pass by quickly, and I get a kick out of beating the hell out of anything that moves.
    This game's only flaw is that the daytime stages are too short, and occasionally bug
    out. One such case is a certain spring robot used to shortcut your way through Adabat can turn "invisible" and cause you to pass through it.
    The game, overall, has a nice flow to things, and the daytime stages are definately the highlight. There's just some satisfaction of getting an S on a flawless Eggmanland run. To get the sought-after S, you need to become well-aware of the best route, and lies ahead on it. The results can surprise even the most experienced player. Non-hackers can beat Adabat in under 2:00 if they know what they're doing.

1. The Wii version has less annoying traits than the others and still retains all the usual mediocrity. The motion-control elements in the Werehog levels add an extra dimension to the action, and the hub worlds are entirely text-based and aren’t nearly as annoying. If you can stand the diminished graphics, the Wii version actually edges out the PS3 and 360 entries.
    Sonic Unleashed is half great game and half tedious gimmick.
  3. If you don't mind some fisticuffs mixed into your high-speed thrills, give Sonic Unleashed a shot. [Holiday 2008, p.80]