Super Mario All-Stars: 25th Anniversary Edition Wii

7.7

1. Dec 13, 2010
    I really want to give this a higher score than what I have, but the truth is, the value of this package cannot be determined by the game itself, in fact If the game is the only factor you are interested in, you may want to reconsider. The extras are nice, you get packaging that just screams collectable as well as a CD with some meoralbe tracks and an art book which is very cool for theI really want to give this a higher score than what I have, but the truth is, the value of this package cannot be determined by the game itself, in fact If the game is the only factor you are interested in, you may want to reconsider. The extras are nice, you get packaging that just screams collectable as well as a CD with some meoralbe tracks and an art book which is very cool for the collector, however the game it self would better present itself as the bonus with the rest of the package. Why I say this is that the game disc is probably less than 1% used.

Most older gamers should remember Super mario all stars on the SNES a remake of Super mario 1-3 + the first us release of the japanese Super mario bros two dubbed here in the us as "The Lost Levels" Later on a special edition of this cartridge dubed Super Mario All Stars + World was released including a very slightly updated version of mario world (only difference being a new sprite for luigi instead of the original palate swap in the original release of SMW). Unfortunately, this disc only includes the original Mario all stars, no mario world in sight. Also unless you consider the ability to use the wii remote nes style instead of a classic or gc controller an improvement, there is no enhancement to be seen in this Port. Now, is this a bad collection, NO, this is to date still one of the best examples of what a compilation should be and it was done on the SNES, this is a brilliant collection of some of the best games ever. The problem however the price, at the time of release nintendo is asking a hefty $30.00 for this package that for all intents and purposes could have and should have been released on the VC for $8.00 like every other SNES game. What nintendo has done is capitalize on the demand for the title and taken full advantage of the market. Unfortunately this underhanded tactic will work, it got me, and will get most other fans as well, but those on the fence about purchasing this collection you are warned, if you want it, you know you do and there are no actual problems with the port.
  2. Mar 2, 2013
    "Move along, nothing NEW to see here"! A truly great game, but the price it was introduced at was a joke. It should have been 10 dollars or so.

The reason Im not giving this 10/10 is that Im judging it as a new game. The original is 10+/10! I dont see the new Wii and Wii U instalments every becoming classics. The games included here however, will last forever. Would be cool with an "HD" remake that clears up the pixels a bit. It looks fantastic, but peoples TV:s are much bigger now than when it first came out That would have made it worth the extra bucks!
  3. Dec 23, 2010
    Not a bad release for the price, but disappointing considering this is supposed to be a celebration of 25 years of Mario. For people who have not played these games, it's probably not a bad purchase at all. For the rest of us who've played Mario from the 8-bit & 16-bit days through to the present, this is a lazy cash-in (and a slap in the face) that barely offers the value of Super MarioNot a bad release for the price, but disappointing considering this is supposed to be a celebration of 25 years of Mario. For people who have not played these games, it's probably not a bad purchase at all. For the rest of us who've played Mario from the 8-bit & 16-bit days through to the present, this is a lazy cash-in (and a slap in the face) that barely offers the value of Super Mario All Stars released on the SNES a little over 17 years ago!

I personally would have preferred this had more extensive extras and a more complete set of games. I'd have been happy to pay more for a collection along those line, but as it stands I already own these games on multiple platforms and this collection is where I personally draw the line. I could have tolerated this set had the games received a new coat of paint and the extras had some care put into them.

Overall, this is a mediocre collection of several superb games. I can only recommend this to hardcore Mario fans or people who have never experienced these games before.
  4. Dec 28, 2010
    I'm in mixed here. How you rate this game depends on you yourself. You can either look at it as four of the best platformers in one package and then some, or, a overpriced VC scam with nothing to separate from it's 17 year old cousin. The package is disappointing for 25 years of one of the most iconic franchises in gaming. So much more could've been included. Ten tracks to represent MarioI'm in mixed here. How you rate this game depends on you yourself. You can either look at it as four of the best platformers in one package and then some, or, a overpriced VC scam with nothing to separate from it's 17 year old cousin. The package is disappointing for 25 years of one of the most iconic franchises in gaming. So much more could've been included. Ten tracks to represent Mario over 25 years is pathetic and many classic tunes are missed (*cough*Gusty Garden*cough*). And I don't see any problems with adding Super Mario World, imo, the best 8/16 bit Mario platformer, or SMW2: Yoshi's Island, especially since there's been no Virtual Console release. This and much more. For those who don't have online or Virtual Console on their Wii and haven't played these games, I'd recommend it. But, if you have played these games, no matter how much you enjoy playing Mario or these four, timeless games, you will not escape the feeling of how shallow the package you payed £20 for that could've been cheaper or much bigger and better. Expand
  5. May 14, 2012
    Super Mario All-Stars was among the best games ever released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, representing the staggering achievements of the Mario Bros.' exploits on the 8-bit NES. It was a thing of beauty, and improved upon the Mario games that were already nearly-perfect when they were initially released -- Super Mario Bros., SMB 2, SMB 3 and the previously Japan-only SMBSuper Mario All-Stars was among the best games ever released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, representing the staggering achievements of the Mario Bros.' exploits on the 8-bit NES. It was a thing of beauty, and improved upon the Mario games that were already nearly-perfect when they were initially released -- Super Mario Bros., SMB 2, SMB 3 and the previously Japan-only SMB "Lost Levels". Twenty-five years after the first Mario adventure, Nintendo saw fit to re-release Super Mario All-Stars for Wii -- with no improvements whatever. This is a no-frills direct port of the original collection; an SNES ROM burned on to a Wii disc. Nintendo owed Mario and his millions of fans something far better than this to celebrate a quarter-century of gaming's biggest icon. Super Mario All-Stars: 25th Anniversary Edition is worth getting if you absolutely loved the SNES cart and no longer have the console, but Mario purists are better off just downloading the four games included here on the Wii Virtual Console. Expand
  6. Sep 1, 2013
    Great to own, and that's about it. Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition brings NOTHING new to the table in terms of the game. On the outside a cool artbook and CD! Big thumbs up for those tiny extra's. Now in terms of this one DVD disc... A Super Nintendo rom... That's it! It's not even revamped or updated in any way to push the 25th Anniversary... Just a SNES rom. is itGreat to own, and that's about it. Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition brings NOTHING new to the table in terms of the game. On the outside a cool artbook and CD! Big thumbs up for those tiny extra's. Now in terms of this one DVD disc... A Super Nintendo rom... That's it! It's not even revamped or updated in any way to push the 25th Anniversary... Just a SNES rom. is it fun? Yes! It's classic in every way and it's as fun as when you played it in the 90's too! Is it worth the money? Well, seeing as I have it (and not selling it at this point) i'd say yes, but only to those who want to feel like they own a Mario landmark in their game collection; otherwise, it's just not worth going the extra mile for. It's a shame Nintendo took this route for Mario on his big year. The Year Of Luigi is getting the much bigger treatment! Expand
  7. Aug 28, 2011
    I can't deny that the core games (Mario 1,2,3 and the lost levels) are some of the best retro games that you will ever play on any console. You can't deny that. Sadly, it's not really worth around £25. All of the 4 games, including Lost Levels are on the VC, and considering that NES games cost £3.50 each, to get all 4 of the games on that will cost you exactlyI can't deny that the core games (Mario 1,2,3 and the lost levels) are some of the best retro games that you will ever play on any console. You can't deny that. Sadly, it's not really worth around £25. All of the 4 games, including Lost Levels are on the VC, and considering that NES games cost £3.50 each, to get all 4 of the games on that will cost you exactly £14. Charging at least an extra £10 is so un-fair on people who have recently re-played the games on the VC anyway. While the CD and booklet add slightly more worth, as well as it all being in a lovely box and disc, it's still hard to recommend unless you haven't played them and don't have your Wii online. Expand
  8. Oct 30, 2011
    This game was fantastic... when I bought it for my Super NES back in 1993. Absolutely nothing has changed, except it's on a Wii disc. Granted, all three Super Mario Bros. titles we grew up with are outstanding, and the "Lost Levels" offers an absurdly difficult challenge to pros, but it just feels like Nintendo was very lazy with this release. An inclusion of Super Mario World or maybeThis game was fantastic... when I bought it for my Super NES back in 1993. Absolutely nothing has changed, except it's on a Wii disc. Granted, all three Super Mario Bros. titles we grew up with are outstanding, and the "Lost Levels" offers an absurdly difficult challenge to pros, but it just feels like Nintendo was very lazy with this release. An inclusion of Super Mario World or maybe a few minor graphical enhancements would have been nice. Bottom line, every Wii owner should own copies of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 and 3, whether here or on Virtual Console; the VC versions are cheaper and more faithful to the originals and get the nod here. Expand
  9. Jul 23, 2013
    Usually, Nintendo are known for their shameless quality titles. But sometimes, they can be lazy. And what better time to be lazy than on Mario's 25th anniversary? Sure, how can I say I didn't enjoy playing through some of the best games of all time, but they should have released a new game. Super Mario All Stars is here on the Wii to celebrate Mario's anniversary. Fantastic! But what isUsually, Nintendo are known for their shameless quality titles. But sometimes, they can be lazy. And what better time to be lazy than on Mario's 25th anniversary? Sure, how can I say I didn't enjoy playing through some of the best games of all time, but they should have released a new game. Super Mario All Stars is here on the Wii to celebrate Mario's anniversary. Fantastic! But what is it? It's a port of a game that came out in 1993. Come again? But that's it: a port of a 15-year-old game. And guess what? This 15-year-old game was actually a collection of 4 classic mario games. Couldn't Nintendo actually release a new game? Why did they chose to re-release a past-generation game, WITH GAMES FROM GENERATIONS BEFORE THAT, on a seventh-generation console? Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels, Super Mario USA, and Super Mario Bros 3 are the games on this ridiculously-priced port. I could tell you how good they are and how much I enjoyed them, but then you know that already, don't you? All these games are available seperately on virtual console (for a lower collective price). So this is a rip-off. Oh, and this version comes with a CD with some of the most annoying, generic sounds in the world, and a history booklet with one-line interviews. I like the four games available in Super Mario All-stars, but it's highly priced and it's a port of a game that came out years ago. Other than nostalgia, there is nothing to save this port, ehich isn't even a remake. To add insult to injury, it doesn't even contain Mario World, the best 2D platformer ever made. If you're looking to play these four games, look no further than the wii's virtual console. Expand
  10. Jan 13, 2015
    I was originally ecstatic for the anniversary edition of Super Mario All-Stars! Four classic Mario games in one? Awesome! But then I found out that it was a port...of an SNES game.

Super Mario All-Stars was originally released on the SNES and Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World was released around a year later. For some reason, on Mario's 25th anniversary, Nintendo decided to release a port of the inferior version of the game without Super Mario World. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather have had that game.

That aside, the games themselves are great and the graphics have a really nostalgic feel for older gamers. The original Super Mario Bros. is the first game included in this pack with only a few changes. For example, multiplayer is a bit changed up so whenever a player wins, the next player takes over which is nice. Also, some glitches like the Minus World were removed.

One of my least favorite Mario games, Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is the second game included. It is basically a much harder version of the original game but with completely new levels. Kind of like how New Super Luigi U is to New Super Mario Bros. U. I definitely wouldn't recommend to anyone who isn't a complete expert. Seriously, the game will make you cry and throw your Wii remote.

The true sequel Super Mario Bros. 2 (an underrated game) is also included. You can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad and they all have their own unique abilities. The level design is also fantastic. In one level, you may have to escape from Phanto while holding a key while in the next you may be throwing bombs at a mouse wearing sunglasses. Super Mario Bros. 2's bold new step for the series is why I like it so much.

The last game included is Super Mario Bros. 3. Personally, I think this is the best game included in the pack. The addition of the Raccoon Leaf, the world map, the Koopalings, and the new world setup (lava, giant, forest, beach, etc.) really makes this a classic.

Overall, Super Mario All-Stars could've been much more. The games included are good but if Nintendo was going to do a port, they could've at least done a port of All-Stars + Mario World.
  11. May 23, 2016
    This game is worth buying just for Super Mario Bros. 3. Okay, The Lost Levels is good too, but the original Super Mario Bros. game is a lot worse than the NES version. I'll start off with the good. Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 are perfect ports. Although I don't like Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the best games I have ever played, and this version lets you save!! TheThis game is worth buying just for Super Mario Bros. 3. Okay, The Lost Levels is good too, but the original Super Mario Bros. game is a lot worse than the NES version. I'll start off with the good. Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 are perfect ports. Although I don't like Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the best games I have ever played, and this version lets you save!! The bad... Well, playing the original Super Mario Bros. and the Lost Levels isn't a good experience. They changed the graphics to take advantage of the SNES hardware. While they look good, it has the same exact physics as the original game. It really throws you off and you'd know what I'm talking about if you played it. Another problem: you'd think that Super Mario World would be included in the Wii version when it was on the SNES version, right? Wrong. This game is exactly the same as the original SNES version without Super Mario World. SMW was my favorite Mario game ever! One of the biggest problems with the game is that you can play the originals on the Wii Virtual Console for a cheaper price than you can find this game for. That is a real disappointment. Overall, this is a good collection of games but not without problems. If you can find it for under $20, it might be worth a buy. Expand

#12 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#24 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Jan 30, 2011
    For a very low price you will be able to get four classic games that will make the older gamers very nostalgic. The old Mario games are as great as ever, even after almost 25 years.
  2. Jan 28, 2011
    Contains some of the best platform games in history. Nuff said.
  3. Jan 18, 2011
    No surprise : Super Mario All-Stars - 25th Anniversary Edition aims to the biggest fans of Mario, who are keen to buy and play games that they've already finished some years ago, just for a few more goodies.