Super Mario Bros. 2 Wii

7.9

1. Jul 20, 2013
    I'm going to say a bold statement: THIS IS THE BEST MARIO GAME OF THE FIRST THREE INSTALLMENTS. Yes, it took inspiration from Doki Doki Panic, but is in fact the true sequel. Nintendo wanted a new mechanic, and it was the same as Doki Doki Panic, so they utilized the game engine and what not. This game is full of whimsy and of secrets. Need I say more?
  2. Feb 1, 2014
    One of the best Mario games. Ignore all comments about Doki Doki Panic, as that doesn't make it a bad game. The ending is spoiled in the manual, so that's kind of weird, but its not like it was an amazing ending anyway.
  3. Sep 13, 2011
    Super Mario Bros 2 is a great platformer being fun, challenging and full of creative ideas. Much of the character, level, and enemy design of later Mario games comes from Super Mario Bros 2, and while it was a departure from the now established Mario formula, it still is great and your kidding yourself if you say otherwise.
  4. May 17, 2012
    Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good game, even if it does play differently. Sure, it wasn't the real Mario 2, but who cares. The game has aged OK, and you get to play as 4 different characters. The game is good!
  5. Dec 4, 2013
    Despite not being similar to the other Super Mario Bros games on NES, it's still fun, very fun. This is one of the best NES games ever made, the only other game so far that I like more then this on NES is Super Mario Bros 3.
  6. Jan 25, 2012
    While some might not consider this a true mario game it is very fun and something new that actually works as this will have you playing for hours with it's gameplay, graphics, and secrets.
  7. Jul 18, 2012
    This wasn't designed to be a Mario game, and it doesn't fit very well with the rest of the Marios in terms of playing style, enemies, etc. However, it's still a fun game with interesting bosses and challenging levels. While not a must like the first and third games, Mario 2 is a lot of fun.
  8. Dec 26, 2011
    Yes, this was copied from a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic. No, it doesn't matter. It's still a good game. Anyone rating this game low is a relatively new gamer who is under the false impression that the "h4rdc0r3" stance is to not like this game. The truth is that this is a great game. 4 characters to play as, and 7 worlds with 3 levels each (except for the last world which only hasYes, this was copied from a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic. No, it doesn't matter. It's still a good game. Anyone rating this game low is a relatively new gamer who is under the false impression that the "h4rdc0r3" stance is to not like this game. The truth is that this is a great game. 4 characters to play as, and 7 worlds with 3 levels each (except for the last world which only has 2), interesting warp zones, bosses that actually have unique patterns unlike in most Mario games which just have a similar boss repeated over and over again, and unique mechanics that we don't see in most Mario games, such as the charge jump, the mask that chases you for finding the key, the ability to pick up smaller enemies and vegetation to use as projectiles, and probably many more that I could come up with. This was just off the top of my head, if I went and played the game all the way through then did this review, I'm sure I could come up with much more. Don't knock this game just because it's copied from Doki Doki Panic. What does that even tell you about the gameplay? Absolutely nothing. That's a factor outside of the game, completely irrelevant to gameplay, and it doesn't actually have anything to do with a sane person's enjoyment of the game. It would be like if you loved a particular type of food, then someone informed you that that food came from a country that you didn't like so you stopped eating it and desperately tried to convince yourself that you didn't like it anymore. Collapse
  9. May 26, 2011
    Although not a "true" Mario game (This is a Mariofied version of a Japanese-only game Doki Doki Panic), this game offers unique gameplay (throwing vegetables to knock enemies silly) and great platforming make this a must-play/buy.
  10. Nov 9, 2013
    I know, this may be the western version of Doki Doki Panic, but I can still call it a Mario game. A great one, at that. The level design was great, and it was simply a blast to play.
  11. Apr 15, 2016
    Super Mario Bros 2 is another classic NES game that i'm actually playing on the SNES's Super Mario All-Stars collection and....ufff...Angry Rant...Angry RANT!!!!

STORY: Mario dreams about him going into a door with a few little guys telling him that they need help. Then Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool (and i will keep calling her like that until Super Mario 64) and Toad make a picnic the next day, but then they discover the mysterious door that Mario about, they enter and then they are literally dropped to the land of Subcon to fight the evil Wart and free the little guys.

PRESENTATION: The original NES game still looks pretty good even by today's standards and it was actually the Mario game to introduce many of the iconic designs and abilities of each characters, the sprites are well done, the color pallet is a lot more vibrant and varied this time around and it overall looks very decent. But!, remember that i'm playing this on the SNES and there it look a heck of alot better. Not only does it have more color and more detail backgrounds and sprites, but you can actually save your progress (not that it helps much, but more on that later). My only complain with the SNES version is that some of the music tracks sound like total ***, but aside from that, it's the definitive version.

GAMEPLAY: Super Mario Bros 2 is a 2D platformer just like the first game, but with a radical change in mechanics. You no longer jump on enemies to kill them, but rather you take vegetables from the ground or other enemies and throw them into the...um...enemy. You no longer have only 2 hits but , rather you have a life bar that can be extended by picking up a mushroom in the "Dark world" that can access by picking a poison from the ground and making a door and stepping on it, you do this and if you place it correctly you can find a mushroom and all the vegetables are replaced with coins that you use in a slot machine mini game and if you win they give you a bunch of extra lives (and you will need them). You no longer find power ups on blocks, but rather you collect 5 cherrys to get a starman and nothing else. You no longer fight bowser at the end of every castle, but rather fight a few different bosses throughout some levels. You no longer finish a stage by touching a flagpole, but rather you...step into the mouth of a...giant...bird head...??.

Ok that was too many rathers and too many comparisons so let's continue normally. This time you are not locked to only controlling Mario, but this time you can select between 4 different characters:

Mario: He runs at a decent speed, jumps at a decent high and picks up objects a decent pace.

Luigi: He can jump high, run somewhat fast, picks up objects at a decent speed, but he controls like ****.

Toad: He runs and picks up objects really fast, but he has a ***** jump.

Princess Toadstool: She picks up objects and runs really slow, but she can hover.

All of these characters can do a super jump if you crouch for a few seconds and they all control like **** when they're in vines, leading to unfair deaths, which unfortunately sums up my experience with game...deaths...deaths everywhere.

With level design like this it becomes really unfair trying to pass the later stages, especially because the enemy placement is total garbage. The game has some really cryptic puzzle elements and frustrating levels that will confuse the **** out of you. There's many instances where i suer there's no way to not get hit and i slipped off the vines more times that i can ******* count. Never before did a video game frustrated me so much, that i wanted to quit playing and move on.

Overall Super Mario Bros 2 is objectively a good game, but i gotta be honest...i really didn't have that much fun playing it. Maybe is because i just suck at the game, but my experience with it was not positive in any way, i'll give it a second playthrough to see if my opinion changes, but for now i'll give the game a 6/10.
  12. May 23, 2016
    [Review based on the NES version of this game] May just be my least favorite from the original Super Mario Bros. games (Original to 3). In fact, Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (the originally Japan-only sequel to Super Mario Bros.) is better than this. However, that doesn't mean that I don't like it. This is a game taken to the next level. It may rip off Doki Doki Panic, but that game[Review based on the NES version of this game] May just be my least favorite from the original Super Mario Bros. games (Original to 3). In fact, Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (the originally Japan-only sequel to Super Mario Bros.) is better than this. However, that doesn't mean that I don't like it. This is a game taken to the next level. It may rip off Doki Doki Panic, but that game still earns the same score if it's on Metacritic. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2016
    Super mario bros 2 baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy still the king after 13 years just go buy this **** game already
  14. Mar 12, 2016
    So Lost Levels was too hard for us Americans, and instead we received a reskin of a game from Japan known as Doki Doki Panic. This is Super Mario Bros.2, but I'm going to refer to it as Super Mario USA., as I don't view this game as the true sequel to the original. I can't even call it a Mario game. This is not a beloved classic. This is the equivalent of a Sonic recolor on Devaintart.So Lost Levels was too hard for us Americans, and instead we received a reskin of a game from Japan known as Doki Doki Panic. This is Super Mario Bros.2, but I'm going to refer to it as Super Mario USA., as I don't view this game as the true sequel to the original. I can't even call it a Mario game. This is not a beloved classic. This is the equivalent of a Sonic recolor on Devaintart. However, the game introduced a few core characters into the franchise, like Shy Guys and Bob-Ombs, so I'll give it a pass. It's a good game, but I hate it for not being the true sequel to the original. Expand
  15. Mar 17, 2017
    This is a very timeless game. I think that this is actually better than the first mario game, because it has aged so much better. I know what people think about this game: "it's just a port of dokie dokie panic", but who gives a **** it's fun.
  16. Dec 26, 2011

There are no critic reviews yet.