Super Mario Bros. 3 Wii

8.8

1. Apr 3, 2015
    This was a great game; a true classic that even has a TV Show cartoon. The gameplay is awesome. The graphics are good for the 80's and 90's. The koopaling battles are fun. The controls are good. This game is my favourite NES game and is wourth 500 Wii points or $5 USD ON THE Nintendo è Shop and it is definitely wourth buying. I went to wourld 8 in LITERALLY 3 minutes on the 3DS.
  2. Dec 9, 2011
    I consider this the best 2D Mario game. The mechanics, the level design, the clever enemy and obstacle placement, the item storing system, the interesting themes to each world, everything about this game is the best you will see in a 2D Mario.
  3. May 26, 2011
    Mario at his greatest, this game dominated the NES era and still dominates today. Top-notch graphics, silly power-ups, and great challenges make this game a masterpiece. I love you, Miyamoto.
  4. Sep 13, 2011
    Super Mario Bros 3 is often debated to be the BEST video game of the 8-bit generation! It's a timeless masterpiece, full of innovation, surprises and will be fun forever. Mario 3 is one of the first games I will recommend to retro gamers and will forever be remember as one of the greatest video games ever made. Amen.
  5. Dec 30, 2012
    Super Mario Bros 3 is the essential NES game, taking everything that made the original a classic. If Super Mario Bros. is the Godfather of gaming, this is the Godfather Part II.
  6. Apr 1, 2015
    Masterpiece. One of the greatest games of all time. It’s an absolutely must-have. If you have never played, buy it now and start playing as there is no tomorrow!!!
  7. Feb 28, 2014
    A masterpiece and a perfect video game. I may prefer 2, but this game has a multiplayer(ish) which 2 could have done. The graphics are great for NES and the gameplay is great.
  8. Dec 6, 2014
    Super Mario Bros 3 is a game that never gets old. I love absolute everything about this game, and this will always be my favourite NES game without doubt.
  9. Jul 18, 2012
    Such a classic. Although I also love the first Super Mario Bros., this comes in as my very favorite of the old-school Super Mario Bros. games. The raccoon suit, hammer brothers suit, all the variety in the levels . . . not to mention how cool the airship levels are. Just a great game from beginning to end.
  10. Feb 25, 2011
    After 22 years this is still seen as the best Super Mario Bros. game of all time and the best title on the NES. A true master piece, what's offered on the Virtual Console is a pixel perfect port that carries over everything from the original and adds a much needed save feature through an option with the Wii software. I really have nothing bad to say about this game. It still stands as theAfter 22 years this is still seen as the best Super Mario Bros. game of all time and the best title on the NES. A true master piece, what's offered on the Virtual Console is a pixel perfect port that carries over everything from the original and adds a much needed save feature through an option with the Wii software. I really have nothing bad to say about this game. It still stands as the panicle of what 2D platformers aspire to be. Accessible to all ages and deep enough for the big kid in all of us. Expand
  11. May 17, 2012
    Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best 2D Mario game I've ever played and definetly the best NES game. The game was very legendary and still holds a place in my heart. This game is great.
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    Although I appreciate SMB 3's place in gaming history, the Wii Shop port of this classic NES title is surprisingly poor. Come on NOA! Solid controls and for the most part good ol' 8-bit graphics... but there are glitches off to the right of the screen and there is a solid (and ugly) permanent line off to the left. These glitches were not present in the original. One of the best gamesAlthough I appreciate SMB 3's place in gaming history, the Wii Shop port of this classic NES title is surprisingly poor. Come on NOA! Solid controls and for the most part good ol' 8-bit graphics... but there are glitches off to the right of the screen and there is a solid (and ugly) permanent line off to the left. These glitches were not present in the original. One of the best games of all time, until now. Expand
  13. Oct 26, 2013
    Being the greatest game in the 90's by a lot of people, I can certainly agree.

Gameplay This game is the Mario norm, except for a few things. For example, the world map being introduced to the Mario series. But by far, the most iconic aspect of the game is the crapton of powerups. I mean, we have the Leaf, the Frog Suit, the Hammer Suit, and the king of them all, the Tanooki Suit.
    Being the greatest game in the 90's by a lot of people, I can certainly agree.

Gameplay

Graphics
    While graphics are FAR from the most important aspect of a game, the graphics are very detailed.

Level Design
    The level design has a VERY soft spot in my heart. Every level is very interesting. Especially the first level. Hell, I've played that level after time runs out.
  14. Jun 28, 2015
    This game is a real classic and is a really fun platforming game that is very fun and challenging. It is a must play if you are a platformer who loves a challenge and it provides a much larger difficulty than the more recent mario game.
  15. Jun 16, 2016
    Ahh... Super Mario Bros 3... Who could forget Mario's most famous trip through the mushroom kingdom? This is pretty much the standard that was set for Mario games and platformers alike. Taking what was great about the original and improving upon it in pretty much every way, Super Mario Bros 3 is a blast to play with the new feature that allows for Mario to jump and glide for long distancesAhh... Super Mario Bros 3... Who could forget Mario's most famous trip through the mushroom kingdom? This is pretty much the standard that was set for Mario games and platformers alike. Taking what was great about the original and improving upon it in pretty much every way, Super Mario Bros 3 is a blast to play with the new feature that allows for Mario to jump and glide for long distances and, in the raccoon suit, fly through the clouds. The level design in this game is very smart, as a plethora of secrets have been tucked away in the nooks and crannies of the mushroom kingdom, allowing for great replay value. In addition, new suits are introduced that allow for smoother passage through the environment and better capability for meeting the koopa threat on your own terms. The difficulty has also been adjusted making the game much more forgiving this time around. Mini games can be found throughout the map helping you out along the way and shortcuts are encouraged. While there is without a doubt a challenge, you don't have to revert back to the very beginning every time you run out of lives, which for me is a very welcome change from the original. Things get pretty crazy, but the feeling of taking down an airship at the end of a world is one that can't be replicated. Bonus points for having raccoons as a choice for a suit. Expand
  16. Apr 19, 2016
    Super Mario Bros 3 is not only one of the best Mario games ever made, but also is the best NES game by far and the game that introduced many, if not every element that we see in the newer Mario titles.

STORY: King Koopa and his koopalings, Larry, Morton, Roy, Wendy, Lemmy, Iggy and Ludwig, have transformed every king of their respective lands into an animal and Mario must go solve the problem.

PRESENTATION: This is probably the best looking NES game, not only does it take full advantage of the NES's limited color pallet, but the music is some of the best the series has seen to date, the sprites are very detailed and the backgrounds are...single colors...uh. Just like the other 2 games i played this on the SNES so not only does it look a lot prettier, but unlike the other 2 games, i feel like the music is actually better than the original version (but that's just me).

GAMEPLAY: Mario 3 brings all the familiar elements of the Mario series for the first time.

First we have the overworld, where you will enter levels, find secrets and play some minigames that you find in toad houses. We also fight some enemies in this map, which are usually hammer brothers, and if we beat them we will get a power up that will get stored in the newly implemented inventory, which you use to store power ups, items, etc, that you can use to get prepared for the level or find some hidden goodies or even warp to different worlds by using a flute.

Mario 3 also brings some new enemies, aside from the returning enemies of the first Mario game we also get Nuclear waffles, Twomps, Big Bertha, Boo's, Chain Chomps, Fire Bros, Dry Bones, etc.

I just mentioned the inventory system in which you can store power-ups and in terms of those...man this game has some incredibly varied power ups. First there's the typical ones, you know,: Mushrooms that make you big, Fire flowers that let you shoot fire and Stars that make you invincible. But aside from those we also get the Raccoon leaf which lets you fly as long and you keep pressing B and you have the P meter (LOL) max-out, but if you have the P variation you can fly indefinitely. We also have the Frog suit, slow and pathetic on the ground, but on water it let's you swim faster and more fluidly. There's also the Hammer Brother suit that lets you throw hammers and kill ANYTHING. And finally we have Tanooki Mario, it behaves exactly like the Tanooki leaf, but by pressing down and B you..., transform into a statue?...umm...Ok moving on!.

Theres 8 Worlds to explore with each having a different theme: The first world is a grassy theme, the second is a desert theme, the third one is water themed, the fourth world is a Giant theme, the fifth one is Sky themed, the sixth one is an ice theme, the seventh one is a...pipe theme?...man and they say Mario is for kids, and finally the eighth world has a volcano or HELL theme.

In each level you will encounter some incredibly well done level design, challenge and fun. And in the final level you will fight one of the Koopa kids and they're...pathetically easy.

Actually that is kinda the threat with this bosses. Aside from Koopa himself all the other bosses like the previously mentioned Koopalings and the semi-boss Boom Boom are just...well...pathetic.

Overall with an original story for the Mario franchise, great replay value, new additions to the Mario formula that would later become stables, great music, level design and graphics, Super Mario Bros 3 is a must play. While the first game was good, but simple, the second game was average, the japanese sequel was just a copy paste, Super Mario Bros 3 orderly blows them out of the water. While i still think that Super Mario World is the better game, this one is also a masterpiece. With that said i'll give Super Mario Bros 3 a 9/10.
  17. May 22, 2016
    [Review based on the NES version of this game] A sequel that's better than a sequel. Super Mario Bros. 3 follows its Super Mario Bros. formula and adds so many things to cause it to become a great collector's game to play.
  18. Mar 12, 2016
    This is the best Mario game on the NES. Period. I didn't really enjoy the other NES Mario games all that much, but I got a huge kick out of this one. It takes the first games problems and fixes all of them. This is no longer a simple platformer, this is an actual game. The graphics are excellent for the NES, the soundtrack is happy and silly, like every other Mario soundtrack. However, oneThis is the best Mario game on the NES. Period. I didn't really enjoy the other NES Mario games all that much, but I got a huge kick out of this one. It takes the first games problems and fixes all of them. This is no longer a simple platformer, this is an actual game. The graphics are excellent for the NES, the soundtrack is happy and silly, like every other Mario soundtrack. However, one problem this game has is it's difficulty. This is a hard game. Not as hard as Lost Levels, but still pretty gosh darn hard. Still, this is a great game and I could recommend it to anyone. Expand
  19. Apr 20, 2016
    I play this game on NES . This interesting game with good levels . This game is hasnt got storyline , but graphics in this game on NES is good for 1988 . Super Mario Bros 3 is the best platformer on NES . And Version on Wii is not different except that version for Wii in HD . Good game for its years . 7/10

There are no critic reviews yet.