8.6

1. May 12, 2017
    Let's be honest, there's nothing much I can say about this game that hasn't been said by everyone else, so let's just point out the obvious and make this really quick: "Super Mario Bros." is still a fantastic game that's fun, challenging, well-designed, and all-around excellent. There's really nothing to say other than that it's stood the test of time and, to this day, it remains a highlyLet's be honest, there's nothing much I can say about this game that hasn't been said by everyone else, so let's just point out the obvious and make this really quick: "Super Mario Bros." is still a fantastic game that's fun, challenging, well-designed, and all-around excellent. There's really nothing to say other than that it's stood the test of time and, to this day, it remains a highly influential game that you absolutely must play.
    Final rating: 10 out of 10 "Fantastic"
  2. Mar 22, 2017
    I like this game. It doesn't seem as enjoyable as it was back in it's time, but oddly enough, this simple game still holds up for me quite a bit.

There's some sort of challenge this game still holds to this day that allows it to engross the player pretty well. The graphics may be considered disgusting, but unless if you're a retro fan who doesn't give a fuss about a 16 x 16 display.

Overall, pick this game up! It's still good til' this day!
  3. Mar 9, 2017
    Modern gaming would not be where it is today if it were not for the original Super Mario Bros. Anyone that did not give it a 10/10 in the first several years it was released must have known nothing of games or gamers. Having said that, it does't hold up as well as others would have you to believe. It is still enjoyable, and it is still worth playing through if you haven't, but even justModern gaming would not be where it is today if it were not for the original Super Mario Bros. Anyone that did not give it a 10/10 in the first several years it was released must have known nothing of games or gamers. Having said that, it does't hold up as well as others would have you to believe. It is still enjoyable, and it is still worth playing through if you haven't, but even just compared to other Mario games, it isn't at the top.
    Influence: 10/10 | Importance: 10/10 | Fun in 2017: 7/10
  4. Dec 28, 2016
    I played this game on the 3DS.

Pros: - Music is still fantastic - Some of the levels still feel inventive - Tons of secrets - The father of modern console gaming Cons: - Sprites look rather dated, even compared to other NES games - Physics definitely seems a bit off - Obvious lack of variety compared to modern Mario games I respect this game and it does hold up pretty well,
    I played this game on the 3DS.

Pros:
    - Music is still fantastic
    - Some of the levels still feel inventive
    - Tons of secrets
    - The father of modern console gaming

Cons:
    - Sprites look rather dated, even compared to other NES games
    - Physics definitely seems a bit off
    - Obvious lack of variety compared to modern Mario games

I respect this game and it does hold up pretty well, especially compared to other NES games. But through non-rose tinted glasses, it obviously feels like nothing special playing it today (besides from the still stellar soundtrack).

True Score: 7.3
  5. May 22, 2016
    [Review based on the NES version of this game] This is the game I'd always know as best game of all time. A whole load of shortcuts, glitches, and even huge fun making Mario die every time makes this game look like a legendary gem.
  6. Apr 10, 2016
    Super Mario Bros is a classic NES game and the savior of the entire gaming industry, Nintendo really did a great job presenting a lot of standards to the the industry with this game and while it's definitely showing its age it's still a fun title.

P.S: I didn't play this game on a Wii or NES, but rather the enhanced ports of the first 3 games and the original Super Mario Bros 2 (The lost levels) in Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES.

STORY: In the land of the Mushroom kingdom, Koopa (yes that's right, he wasn't called Bowser in 1985) ,a giant fire-breathing turtle, transforms all residents of this land into blocks and kidnaps the daughter of the Mushroom King, Princess Toadstool (yes that's how she was called back then). After hearing this Mario sets on a journey to rescue the princess and defeat King Koopa.

PRESENTATION: Graphically speaking Super Mario Bros stills holds up pretty well. While i'm not a big fan of the colors that they used for Mario in this first entry, and some of the sprites are reused multiple times (The clouds and bushes are the same), the rest of it is colorful and well done. The NES didn't have an amazing color pallet, but everything looks vibrant in this world.

The music...i mean c'mon, show me 1 person in the entire planet that is familiar with videogames that doesn't know the overworld theme and i will show you a person lying out of their ***. We have all the classic themes right here and like always, it's catchy, classic and memorable.

Since this a very old game i can't really say anything about frame rate, resolution, models or anything like that, but i will say that if you play this in the All-Stars pack (like i did) the game will look a lot better. Tho some of the songs can sound like ****.

GAMEPLAY: Super Mario Bros was one of the first platforming games ever made so the mechanics are nothing complicated, tho that's to be expected when you consider the fact that the NES controller only had 2 buttons.

Just like Mega Man is called Jump & Shoot-Man, Mario is basicly Run & Jump-Man because that's all you do in the entire game. The majority of the challenge comes in your skill and timing to do certain jumps, because even tho the enemies are very recognizable...they don't put much of a challenge. There's only 1 enemy that i consider challenging...the Hammer Brothers. These *** holes will throw hammer like nothing else and if you don't have a Fire Flower then good luck trying to kill one of this jerks by jumping on them (which is your main method of killing enemies).

Speaking of the Fire Flower, Super Mario Bros introduced all the classic power ups like:

The Mushroom: This makes you big and being able to take 1 extra hit.

Fire Flower: Lets you shoot fire to kill enemies.

Star Man: They make you run faster and you are invisible to enemy damage.

While the power-ups are very basic and very too few of them, for the first game on the series it's understandable. You can also get a 1-up by getting 100 coins or finding a secret block.

Speaking of secrets. If you can find them, Super Mario Bros has the classic Warp-Zones that can transport you to other worlds. If you find the red Warp-Zone you can beat the game in about 5 minutes (no joke).

Every world has 4 levels and the 4th one end in a castle level where you will encounter Koopa...and his pathetically easy, just jump on the axe behind me and you can beat all 8 battles with him...well the first 7 Koopas were just a few wannabes, but the real thing fights exactly the same so i don't see the point.

In the end Super Mario Bros is a timeless game, a classic that any self respecting gamer needs to play. There's a reason it sold 40 million units (aside from being bundled with NES). I'll give it an 8/10.
  7. Mar 12, 2016
    The reason why I'm giving this game somewhat of a low score is because it's nothing special. Everything about it is... simple. The graphics, the level design, the story, the music... however, I can recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played any game yet. Hardcore gamers, however, can beat this game in five minutes. No joke. Overall, this game is good, but other games in the franchiseThe reason why I'm giving this game somewhat of a low score is because it's nothing special. Everything about it is... simple. The graphics, the level design, the story, the music... however, I can recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played any game yet. Hardcore gamers, however, can beat this game in five minutes. No joke. Overall, this game is good, but other games in the franchise are definitely better than this. Expand
  8. Feb 20, 2015
    There was before Super Mario Bros., and there was after Super Mario Bros. This game is so much fun. Jump on Goombahs and Koopas. Much fun to have with pipes bloopers and king koopa himself. Save your girl.
  9. Jun 8, 2014
    Super Mario Bros. isn't just some simple to play plat-former, it's more than that, it's history. Do you love later Super Mario games, do you love The Legend of Zelda series, do you love other series like Animal Crossing, Metroid, Pokemon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Rayman, Kirby, and many countless other beloved franchises, well all those games have one thing in common, they all just might oweSuper Mario Bros. isn't just some simple to play plat-former, it's more than that, it's history. Do you love later Super Mario games, do you love The Legend of Zelda series, do you love other series like Animal Crossing, Metroid, Pokemon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Rayman, Kirby, and many countless other beloved franchises, well all those games have one thing in common, they all just might owe their existence to Super Mario Brothers on the NES. With this game causing that big of an impact on the gaming industry, how can I not give Super Mario Brothers a perfect 10/10? Expand
  10. May 24, 2014
    Wow ok I just fond my old wii today and I saw super Mario bros on it so I never played it before so I started it for some reason I feel in love with it I already herd about it so I had to rate it and god this game is why video games exist because it saved the crash of 83 so yeah pretty remarkable I give this a ten
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    This is it. The game that saved the video game industry after the Crash of 1983. What makes it so great is its formula. The object was not to get the highest score anymore, but instead to beat the final boss and save the princess. The music is classic and the challenge is up there (especially on World 8-2, 8-3, and 8-4). It is a good enough game to want to make you get better and better atThis is it. The game that saved the video game industry after the Crash of 1983. What makes it so great is its formula. The object was not to get the highest score anymore, but instead to beat the final boss and save the princess. The music is classic and the challenge is up there (especially on World 8-2, 8-3, and 8-4). It is a good enough game to want to make you get better and better at it until you beat it, and then makes you want to go through again bettering yourself every time. The payoff of finally rescuing the princess is great as is the entire experience before then. It is even more fun with two players! Overall, classic NES title that could be picked up for a buck fifty and definitely worth so much more! Expand
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    It's addicting and fun although out of all the Super Mario trilogy games on NES this is my least favorite although it's as i said still fun and hold up pretty well.
  13. Jul 5, 2013
    I feel like it's a crime if I don't award Super Mario Bros a perfect 1010. It is by far the most revolutionary game of all time. Simply because there would be no video games today without this NES classic. We should also take notice that this game is a heck of a lot of fun. In 1985, Super Mario Bros started the long running side scrolling trend that would dominate the NES library. StompingI feel like it's a crime if I don't award Super Mario Bros a perfect 1010. It is by far the most revolutionary game of all time. Simply because there would be no video games today without this NES classic. We should also take notice that this game is a heck of a lot of fun. In 1985, Super Mario Bros started the long running side scrolling trend that would dominate the NES library. Stomping on famous enemies, the secrets, the adventurous feel, and the clever level designs were only a hint on why Super Mario Bros is a masterpiece. Expand
  14. Sep 8, 2012
    We all know Super Mario Bros. (Hopefully) And just like many people say, it is definitely one of the best NES games out there... Wait, one of the best games since the beginning of the video game industry. Very fun and addicting, indeed. Although the game is short (Just like most NES games) it still has a very high replay value. Especially multiplayer mode. Playing as Mario or Luigi with aWe all know Super Mario Bros. (Hopefully) And just like many people say, it is definitely one of the best NES games out there... Wait, one of the best games since the beginning of the video game industry. Very fun and addicting, indeed. Although the game is short (Just like most NES games) it still has a very high replay value. Especially multiplayer mode. Playing as Mario or Luigi with a friend, you won't get bored easily. All in all, a really good game for any casual or hardcore gamer. 9 out of 10 from me. Expand
  15. Aug 14, 2012
    It's amazing how well this game holds up -- and how challenging it can still be to newcomers, more than a quarter-century after its NES release. If you're too young to remember playing this in its original format, or if you just never bothered, you owe it to yourself to experience this classic. I give it an 8 out of 10 based on how it compares to modern games; the graphics of course areIt's amazing how well this game holds up -- and how challenging it can still be to newcomers, more than a quarter-century after its NES release. If you're too young to remember playing this in its original format, or if you just never bothered, you owe it to yourself to experience this classic. I give it an 8 out of 10 based on how it compares to modern games; the graphics of course are blocky, pixelated and of a limited color palette, the variety is a bit limited, and the ending is weak, but the play control is still the gold standard for every single video game that followed. Recommended. Expand
  16. Aug 4, 2012
    Great game. Some aspects are missing like going to the left of the screen, at this point you can only go to the right side of the screen. Some animations are kinda slow on my Wii too. But overall a very nice game. Hope they fix those issues on next updates.
  17. Jun 1, 2012
    To give this game any less than a 10 is to hate any video game you're are playing today. There would be no more gaming industry if it wasn't for Super Mario Bros. Classic formula and still challenging, even to this day. True gamers must pay homage.
  18. May 17, 2012
    Super Mario Bros. is a legendary game and one of the best for the NES. The game is not as great as it was 27 years ago, but the game has aged OK and it's still enjoyable.
  19. Nov 11, 2011
    This version of Super Mario Bros. captures the reasons why this game has a big impact on the industry. It feels and plays just like the original, with a few exceptions.
  20. Sep 13, 2011
    If you were to ask me what the best video game of all time is, I would have to say SUPER MARIO BROS. The game play, creativity, innovation, play control, power ups and fun atmosphere are timeless and as fun today as they were when released. Super Mario Bros will go down in history as masterpiece.
  21. May 26, 2011
    The game that started it all. A great game good for anyone who is up for a challenge. Warp zones, secret areas, and fireworks touch this classic nicely.
  22. Jun 1, 2012

There are no critic reviews yet.