9.1

1. May 12, 2015
    So many people have argued Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a perfect game or the best game ever. It changes the Galaxy formula a bit, but it definitely doesn't perfect it.

I gave it away as a gift and both of us felt like it was a slog to start. I loved Galaxy 1 and while it's story and hub were woefully underdeveloped I kind of liked that they were there. Galaxy 2 is mostly more of the same, but while people say it removes those elements and streamlines the experience more it doesn't. The hub is still there as an extra step to the level selection only now it's completely uninteresting.

The story, while more straight forward, does take up quite a long time in the beginning before you get to the first level of gameplay. It's far to text-heavy and segmented for a story that only amounts to "Bowser took Peach". What ever happened to SM64's three sentence introductory letter and jump straight into gameplay? The addition of Yoshi just complicates things more and doesn't fit well with these small, planetoid worlds.

While these aren't in any way crippling all of these misses make Galaxy 2 a game that seems like it went for streamlining things, but only went half-way there and has less personality than the original game.
  2. Dec 13, 2011
    this game is not what I was expecting. I thought there wold be more yoshi stages. but is was still kind of fun. so that is why I think it should be 7/10
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    When I give it a 7/10, that doesn't mean I think its bad. I just think its a little overrated. In fact, my official score is 7.3 if that makes anyone feel better.

The Good: Super Mario Galaxy 2 is technically brilliant. The music is masterful, the water effects and lighting effects are nice, but the overall best part about this game is the animation. Its just unbelievably gorgeous. The

The Good:
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 is technically brilliant. The music is masterful, the water effects and lighting effects are nice, but the overall best part about this game is the animation. Its just unbelievably gorgeous. The colors the textures. If I was rating this game based on animation, It'd get an 11/10. As I said, the music is great. There are a lot of songs in here that are stellar, but my 2 favorites are the song from the Clockworks Galaxy and The Final Bowser Battle. Also, there is a lot more freedom to run around discovering things in levels, a huge flaw I have with the original. There are these things called Comet Coins to collect which unlock a whole new set of challenges to play. My second favorite new thing they added was Chimp, a side-villain who is always harassing Mario to play his games. (Ice Skating and Bowling to name a few) These games may sound simple, but really, they're addicting and creative. And even after he gives you the star, you may go back and play said game just for the fun of it. Even small things like hidden 1-Ups and gobs of star bits can keep you in a level twice as long as you intended to be. And not only is the game creative, its really hard. A few of these levels REALLY tried my patience. The hub has been improved, too. It's like your sandbox rather than your everyday empty, bland spacecraft. There are some fun things to complete and to obtain. So, what I have just mentioned here is all the GOOD things about the game. But you may ask, "What are the bad things that take away those 27 points???" That's why we're moving onto the BAD. Duh! Duh! Duhhh!!!

The Bad:
    Well, to start, Its either you have Yoshi shown frequently in a Mario game, or I don't think its flawless. If I remember right, he only got 7 or 8 appearances. Yoshi is one of the most loveable and innocent characters in all of media. He's my favorite in the Mario series, and he really should have more appearances in this game. (12 at the very least) He's the coolest power-up in the game, too. You have his abilities to float, sprint, and my favorite, see invisible floors. And I've always loved his unique ability to eat everything. Also, I feel some of the special levels and power-ups (This is NOT counting Yoshi) are either mediocre or horrendous. The new Boo Mushroom was really goofy, and WHY would they bring back the Spring Ability?!!!!!!! Nintendo, are you deaf?! We all HATED that move. There are 2 levels in this game that I thought were just plain awful: Here's a hint: BOTH OF THEM HAD A ROLLING BALL WITH A STAR INSIDE INVOLVED. .THE ROLLING MASTERPIECE GALAXY, AND THE ROLLING COASTER GALAXY. Thank you for being abysmal. Not! Also, the Final Bowser Battle was the perfect. .way to end a game on a bad note. It was really easy and so disappointing. You would think, "Oh, crap! This is going to take forever!" 69 seconds later: "WHAT IN THE NAME OF----" Its not a nit-pick. Its a big flaw. Especially for an action adventure game. This is small, and Mario has never been about story and characters, but I think Lubba is a big step down from my 3rd favorite Mario character Rosalina, who was very complex and grand.

The Ugly:
    Unfortunately, I don't think this game is as great as the original. It just didn't feel as grand and as influential as the original. I couldn't tell you why specifically, because I really don't know. However, I have 2 theories: Number One is Super Mario Galaxy 1 that it feels more space like with the music, the art, the gameplay and so forth, and Galaxy 2 just feels like the level designs put the clouds closer to the ground.
    Theory Number 2 says its just the Nostalgic Side of me speaking.

All in all, Super Mario Galaxy 2 may not surpass its predecessor, (my opinion) but its a boatload of fun for anyone who picks it up.
    Super Mario Galaxy 1 rating: 9.6/10
    I was talking about who my favorite Mario characters were a little, so here's my top 10 favorites:
    10.Wario
    9.Waluigi
    8. Diddy Kong
    7.Nokis and Piantas
    6. Kamella (Super Mario Galaxy 1 Boss)
    5. Luigi
    4.Bowser
    3.Rosalina
    2.Bowser Jr.
    1.Yoshi!
  4. Aug 24, 2012
    Great game in theory, with excellent controls, beautiful levels, and quite a bit to lengthen the experience. The thing is, this game is just a little too similar to the first Mario Galaxy. The few new power-ups don't add too much, and several level mechanics are re-used from the first Mario Galaxy. Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2 feels a little too easy until the very end, the space theme isn'tGreat game in theory, with excellent controls, beautiful levels, and quite a bit to lengthen the experience. The thing is, this game is just a little too similar to the first Mario Galaxy. The few new power-ups don't add too much, and several level mechanics are re-used from the first Mario Galaxy. Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2 feels a little too easy until the very end, the space theme isn't used nearly as well within the levels, the camera did not work very well at all for the Green Star missions, the gorgeous and expansive Comet Observatory has been replaced by a small and rather boring ship, and the great character Rosalina has lost her position as guide to an unfunny Luma with no backstory or anything. Basically, Super Mario Galaxy 2 tries to expand on the excellent formula of the first Mario Galaxy, but worsens it instead. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2012
    Lots of people gush over this game, but it is nothing special.

Lots of people gush over this game, but it is nothing special.

Like its predecessor, the game, while ostensibly a 3D platformer, is missing what makes 3D platformers special - exploration. Instead, the levels are quite linear and very often, the fact that the game is 3D is rather irrelevant. Oh boy, there was a 90 degree turn in the linear path, which then continues on linearly! How awesome! This is the "3D" of this game for much of its gameplay, and there are sections which don't even pretend to be 3D, limiting Mario to a 2D environment.

As such, all we have are the levels, and the level design is not amazing. It isn't terrible - some of the levels are pretty fun - but it is often bland, the levels generally have a very unappealing appearance (looking quite boring), and there is usually only one path through any given level. The "secret stars" are never well hidden and are basically gimmes, resulting in many hours of bland gameplay with the occaisional really interesting bit.

This game, like its predecessor, is a step back from Mario 64. While it is better than Super Mario Galaxy, having much more interesting levels from a gameplay standpoint, the overall ugliness of the game, the lack of cohesion, and the linear levels make it feel like just a random grab bag of ideas rather than any sort of exciting or interesting whole.

This game is not terrible, but it is mediocre. There are many better games, and this game's high metacritic scores are soley due to the fact that it has the name Mario in it..
  6. Oct 25, 2010
    not a great game but not a bad one after i played it i felt like i wasted my time it's not bad and i think i am seriously underrating this game the game gets tedious after the 2nd level but this is what i truly think.
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    People constantly get angry whenever a developer releases a game that is very similar to past titles. However, when a Mario game does it, no one seems to care. I'm not sure why.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a great game, no doubt about it. The level designs are interesting, the graphics are great, and the music is outstanding. This would be a game worthy of a 10 out of 10 had we not already seen a game exactly like it. The original Super Mario Galaxy was a masterful and original game full of interesting concepts and ideas. It was everything I could have hoped for in a Mario game. The sequel feels like more of the same. There were only two galaxies that really wowed me when playing the game. All of the other ones just seemed bland. I found myself saying, "Hey, that's just like that one level from Super Mario Galaxy" over and over again.

It's not a bad game and it's definitely worth a purchase. It just isn't anything exceptional. In a way, it feels like DLC, for lack of a better word.
    I hope Nintendo never makes a Super Mario Galaxy 3. I'm hoping that they can find another original and compelling idea to work with.
  8. Jan 26, 2011
    A bad game? No it isn't. Overhyped? Definitely. While the Mario gameplay is improved in some ways in this game, Mario has been repeating for years in terms of story and gameplay. It is far too repetitive. The game isn't amazing visually either. While this game is not bad, it is the most overhyped in 2010.
  9. Dec 22, 2013
    Honestly, this game is a copy-paste of the first SMG. It's a great game on it's own, but it's basically the first game, add Yoshi, and make it slightly less magical and fun in every other area. If you want a REALLY GOOD GAME, just get the first SMG. So, don't get me wrong, this game is good, but I suggest playing the first one first.
  10. May 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is NOT as amazing or phenomenal as the first game. It's not bad either. The thing about this game that is very similar to Super Mario Galaxy and surely, that's not a good thing. Everything about this game (except for the soundtrack) are less memorable when compared to the first game. The level designs (Mario Matrix Galaxy and Stone Cyclone Galaxy are just beyond crappy), the overworld (Starship Mario sucks), even the power-ups are weak compared to SMG's. It's also inconsistent. Why the heck Rosalina introduced at the end of the game?! Why can't Yoshi be used more frequently?! Why is the Pull Star introduced near the end of the main story mode?

Besides all of that, this game is pretty good. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a joy to play. I had fun times playing this game on my Wii. But, I prefer Super Mario Galaxy over this game.

My true final score for this game: 7.3
    Because the user review score can do such thing, I round it up and got a 7
  11. Apr 25, 2015
    a really good but it kind of like the first super Mario galaxy game with a few new powers. it is still a really good game and you should check it out.

1. Jan 18, 2011
    If you loved the first Super Mario Galaxy, you will adore the sequel.
  2. While Super Mario Galaxy 2 could easily have been a cheap cash-in with a few lackluster additional levels, it manages to be something more. It expands on the gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy and adds enough new twists and turns to feel like a full-fledged sequel.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is largely more of the same, and that helps make it a phenomenal experience. Nintendo didn't reinvent the formula. Instead, it took what fans loved about the prequel and then jazzed everything up with never before seen galaxies, planets and a more streamlined user interface.