Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii

9.1

Universal acclaim- based on 1938 Ratings

1. Jul 29, 2016
    While the game surely is fun, it fails to reach the high standard set by the first game. With no deeper meanings and story, this game takes away everything that made Super Mario Galaxy shine. Don't expect epic endings or beginnings, storybooks or places with a backstory.

That being said, the level designs are still quite okay, while a little too easy. Classic levels are featured, but they have been made easier (one of the game's biggest failures). The boss fights are a spot-on, the very best part of the game. Apart from the final boss fight. That was a joke.
  2. Oct 22, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy Expansion Pack is a copy/paste sequel of the original. Aside from a few new powers and Yoshi which are around for less than a quarter of the game there's really nothing this game adds to the formula. Most of the levels are slightly upgraded from the originals or the exact same, only a few songs in the game are original, and the difficulty was nonexistent. This was thanksSuper Mario Galaxy Expansion Pack is a copy/paste sequel of the original. Aside from a few new powers and Yoshi which are around for less than a quarter of the game there's really nothing this game adds to the formula. Most of the levels are slightly upgraded from the originals or the exact same, only a few songs in the game are original, and the difficulty was nonexistent. This was thanks to game holding your hand the entire way through. I hate to see Mario's image for innovation dragged through the dirt, but Miyamoto apparently doesn't care. Instead of a great sequel that expands on the original like Super Mario Sunshine, we're given a slightly touched up version that fails to convey the sense that you're in space like the original, to provide a fair difficulty level, or any difficulty for that matter, and to provide any originality. Expand
  3. Nov 27, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy was innovative but his second game was one more of the same. The only thing that was new was the Yoshi and even then it can only be used at some stages. There are many bosses who were the first game and were reused in this game which is disappointing when you expect something new. It's a fun game but expected more from him.
  4. Mar 2, 2013
    The space where it was possible to move always seemed to be very small. Almost felt like a converted 2d game. The gravity didnt feel like a good instalment in the series, mostly irritating to be honest. I wasnt a great fan of the motion control either, felt very duckt taped and gimmicky. I hope they will let us choose the wii u pro controller for the next game. Sometimes you just want toThe space where it was possible to move always seemed to be very small. Almost felt like a converted 2d game. The gravity didnt feel like a good instalment in the series, mostly irritating to be honest. I wasnt a great fan of the motion control either, felt very duckt taped and gimmicky. I hope they will let us choose the wii u pro controller for the next game. Sometimes you just want to lay still in the couch or bed without waving your hands in the air. The art style left nothing to complain about, lovely colours as usual. The setting in space didnt really appeal to me though, but it wasnt too bad since it had many places that wasnt too "spacey". The graphics left much to wish for, but it wasnt much they could do with that hardware. It does look significantly better on dolphin emulator with upscaling and some minor graphic tweaks. An OK game, but the Galaxy instalment is by far the worst in the series. Id much rather see a real sequel to Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine. This concept doesnt feel like it would entertain in a new game and missed that Mario feeling to it. Its obvious that this game was a hit among the new and younger crowd. I hope that they get to experience Mario 64 some day. I think theyll be blown away! Expand
  5. Feb 3, 2015
    Even though there's a number 2 following the name, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is pratically the same game of Mario Galaxy 1 but now with Yoshi. I'd say to my friends "It's such like of a DLC or expansion pack for mario galaxy 1". Shame on you nintnedo
  6. Mar 3, 2013
    Worst Mario game Ive played, along with the first Galaxy. I didnt like the setting in space, the lack of "open world" environments. Mario is the one game where the concept cant change too much. We need the castle, the green grass, the classic water levels etc. This felt much more sterile. The motion controls wasnt fitting in this game, it felt very gimmicky. The spin move would have feltWorst Mario game Ive played, along with the first Galaxy. I didnt like the setting in space, the lack of "open world" environments. Mario is the one game where the concept cant change too much. We need the castle, the green grass, the classic water levels etc. This felt much more sterile. The motion controls wasnt fitting in this game, it felt very gimmicky. The spin move would have felt more natural to do with a button, which would have made it more precise.

Mario 64 remains unbeaten.
  7. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is basically a waste of money in my opinion. I am truly saying this because I believe it is one of the most overrated games out there. I love how people always complain when games are copied and pasted, but except when Mario does it, it suddenly gets a free pass. I have played many Mario games, and the majority of the maps I can memorize from other games, and somehow no oneThis game is basically a waste of money in my opinion. I am truly saying this because I believe it is one of the most overrated games out there. I love how people always complain when games are copied and pasted, but except when Mario does it, it suddenly gets a free pass. I have played many Mario games, and the majority of the maps I can memorize from other games, and somehow no one notices it, and it makes me feel like the majority of Mario games are completely forgotten.

The game is way too easy, and I can say that many people want to play a game just for fun, and I can agree with that, but I do not prefer it in any way.

I hate this game on so many levels, and when Super Mario Galaxy 3 comes out, I'm not spending a pennies worth.
  8. Jun 5, 2013
    I called the last one "original", this one... (sigh). I don't know if they intended this game to be EXACTLY the same as the first, than they got it right, but they completely screwed this one up. The plot is the same as the last one, the combat is the same as well and now repetitive, and everything in this game is EASY! I finished the game in under 5-hours easily without any helpI called the last one "original", this one... (sigh). I don't know if they intended this game to be EXACTLY the same as the first, than they got it right, but they completely screwed this one up. The plot is the same as the last one, the combat is the same as well and now repetitive, and everything in this game is EASY! I finished the game in under 5-hours easily without any help what-so-ever! This game was all copy n' paste! Mario is now a dead franchise and it should stay dead after this disaster! Expand
  9. Aug 22, 2016
    Não gostei do jogo, achei muito chato, para mim mario acabou no 2 japones, e a serie galaxy eu nao gostei tambem, o jogo é bonito e vejo que muitos gostaram, mas eu nao gostei, achei enjoativo
  10. Mar 12, 2017
    A disappointing sequel to one of the best games ever made. The comet amazing observatory is replaced by a boring and small Mario Head (literally...), the worlds are organised in a Super Mario Bros style instead of a sandbox, which is definitely not the best approach for a 3D Mario. Rosalina, one of my favorite characters from the Mario franchise, has been replaced by a fat, ugly, purpleA disappointing sequel to one of the best games ever made. The comet amazing observatory is replaced by a boring and small Mario Head (literally...), the worlds are organised in a Super Mario Bros style instead of a sandbox, which is definitely not the best approach for a 3D Mario. Rosalina, one of my favorite characters from the Mario franchise, has been replaced by a fat, ugly, purple luma (at least I think it's a luma...). The boss fights are boring, which is a huge letdown compared to the first game. The only thing that has been added is Yoshi, but you can only use him for 5 levels and it's even that fun. And what's more you can't redo the game as Luigi, what's the point of unlocking him once you've already finished the game? Expand
  11. Feb 17, 2017
    Worst 3D Mario game by far. I love all the 3D mario games except for this one, and here's why.

Too Many Bosses - No one plays Mario games for the bosses, and this game has more bosses than any other. They all kind of play like the Mario 64 bosses (King Bob-omb and Thwomp) where you have to figure out a trick to kill them. Mario is about platforming, with maybe a boss or water level thrown in every now and then to mix it up. This game feels like 25% bosses. Boring!

Stupid Mini-Games - There are a lot of mini-games where there are a set number of enemies and you have to kill before the time runs out. Or you have to destroy a bunch of boxes with fireballs before the time runs out. Or ice skate around a small square and run into enemies. These stars are just 100% boring filler. Less fun than a Mario Party mini-game to be honest. With these stars + the boss stars, the game drags.

Gimmicky power-ups - These are less bad than the above-mentioned things, but with everything else it just adds more tediousness. For example, take the Drill power-up that lets you drill through planets to the other side. It's kind of fun to use I guess, but it completely changes the gameplay from a Mario game to some kind of weird mini-game where you drill through stuff. It makes several of the levels feel gimmicky, and with the bosses and mini-game stars it starts to make the game feel like it's all gimmicks and no Mario gameplay. Some of the power-ups are fine, but generally I start to feel like I'm playing a Mario Party game with bad mini-games.

Using Yoshi's Tongue and Fireballs Does Not Feel Tactile And Good - When I have Yoshi I just want to jump around and press B to stick out his tongue in random directions and grab stuff. Do I really need to point my wiimote at enemies to do it? Imagine if in Mario World you couldn't jump around and press B randomly, but had to point a wiimote at each enemy you wanted to eat. And there was no way to stick out your tongue otherwise. It might improve your accuracy, but the tactile feel of just moving around and aiming your tongue is more fun and feels more responsive. The fireballs are similar, I just want to press B, not shake the remote to use it. Both of these "items" (Yoshi and Fireballs) are just two more gimmicky things that turn a level into a gimmicky mini-game. Super Mario 3D world has showed us that this game would have been fiine if tapping B to aim fireballs (or even a yoshi tongue) in 3D works great and feels more Mario-ey and feels tactile.

Too Much Time Wasted In Animations - It takes 1-2 minutes after getting a star to get back into a level. There's the animation of getting the star, going back to the ship, showing your star stats, walking to the switch to active the ship, going back to the map and moving your ship across it, selecting the star, then mario being shot onto the world to start the level. It gets boring when I'm spending half my time watching this stuff. Then when I get to a star and find out it's some dumb mini-game or gimmick I'm so frustrated. I watched a speedrun of this game for a charity event recently (AGDQ) and there was more downtime for the announcer to read donation messages than any other game I've seen. And it was a speedrun! Usually speedruns have constant information and gameplay but there was so much downtime. Also there will often be two or three times in a level where you waste 10-15 seconds talking to a little star guy, watch him turn into a star shooter portal thing, then jump and shake your remote, then watch mario shoot all the way to another planet. Imagine if you were playing Mario for NES and 1/3rd of the way through every level the game just paused for 12 seconds to make a star portal. It would drive you insane!

Too Easy - Usually your reward for finally getting into a level is that you easily trot through it and get the star. Nobody likes when a Mario game is too easy. I remember people complained about Super Mario Bros. Wii for that (I think it was that one.) We play games to challenge our minds, so when a game is too easy it just feels like a waste of time. No other 3D mario game has this problem.

2D Levels Use Up More Space In This 3D Mario Game - Let me be clear, I like the 2D levels. They're good. But in a game with precious little 3D mario platforming that isn't gimmicky, the 2D levels just kind of use up space that could be used on 3D Mario levels.

In the end, this game feels like it was made by the Mario Party team and it's just a bunch of gimmicky levels that play like mini-games. Between all the power-ups, bosses, yoshis, 2d levels, mini-games, and other gimmicks you rarely get to have some normal 3D mario gameplay. I just want to run around as Mario and try to beat a level from start to finish without being turned into some non-mario object, or playing a stupid mini-game, or playing some other 2d mario game, or fighting King Bob-omb 9.0. Ahhh!!!
  12. Feb 28, 2017
    Curse you SMG2 that I simply don't even this Game maybe because the first one wasn't that bad but the second is stupid Why! Why! Why is this game so popular!!!!!!
  13. Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks Nintendo for replacing the amazing comet observatory with a boring and small Mario head... Literally. Thank you for practically removing Rosalina throughout the whole game. Thank you for making a 3D Mario that wasn't a sandbox, so if you're stuck or don't like the galaxy guess what? You have to put up with it. Thank you for adding Yoshi and only putting him in five levels. Thank youThanks Nintendo for replacing the amazing comet observatory with a boring and small Mario head... Literally. Thank you for practically removing Rosalina throughout the whole game. Thank you for making a 3D Mario that wasn't a sandbox, so if you're stuck or don't like the galaxy guess what? You have to put up with it. Thank you for adding Yoshi and only putting him in five levels. Thank you for making a game that had too many ideas to be a DLC but not enough to be a game. thank you for ruining Mario galaxy. Expand

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Jan 18, 2011
    If you loved the first Super Mario Galaxy, you will adore the sequel.
  2. While Super Mario Galaxy 2 could easily have been a cheap cash-in with a few lackluster additional levels, it manages to be something more. It expands on the gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy and adds enough new twists and turns to feel like a full-fledged sequel.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is largely more of the same, and that helps make it a phenomenal experience. Nintendo didn't reinvent the formula. Instead, it took what fans loved about the prequel and then jazzed everything up with never before seen galaxies, planets and a more streamlined user interface.