Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii

9.1

1. S.Kumar
    May 24, 2010
    I barely even played this game and I was simply amazed. Even after ten minutes, Nintendo EAD's masterpiece pulls you into a universe of incredible beauty. I won't spoil the details, but this probably has the best graphics to date on the Wii and the gameplay brings me back to my childhood when simplicity was fun. In short: Graphics: 10- The best you'll see Sound: 10- Classic I barely even played this game and I was simply amazed. Even after ten minutes, Nintendo EAD's masterpiece pulls you into a universe of incredible beauty. I won't spoil the details, but this probably has the best graphics to date on the Wii and the gameplay brings me back to my childhood when simplicity was fun. In short: Graphics: 10- The best you'll see Sound: 10- Classic Mario Music Gamplay: 10- Amazing Story: 9.75- It may be an original Mario story, but its just Bowser taking Peach Overall: 10 Final Verdict: If you're reading this and you own a Wii, you better buy this game. This is the second best game ever created by Nintendo EAD, just behind The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and is the best game on the Wii to date. As stated by IGN, its "Masterful". Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    The first Mario Galaxy was really hard to improve, but with this second part you have the feeling that you are in the same magical place, and even that you are in a better adventure. More original, more creative, funnier, longer... 242 stars that will take you months to get in a perfect balance of difficulty. In my opinion, the best game for Wii.
  3. Jul 15, 2015
    A good sequel that improves in almost every aspect from the first game. Of course visually the three years are obvious with better texture and light effects, definitely one of the best looking Wii game. But what really surprises me was all the innovations concerning the gameplay: first ,of course, it's the appearance of Yoshi that already brings some new game mechanics, but when I wasn'tA good sequel that improves in almost every aspect from the first game. Of course visually the three years are obvious with better texture and light effects, definitely one of the best looking Wii game. But what really surprises me was all the innovations concerning the gameplay: first ,of course, it's the appearance of Yoshi that already brings some new game mechanics, but when I wasn't expecting more, they also add more Power ups and mini games and simply new platforming mechanics.

One of my biggest complaint about the first one was that the game was getting a bit repetitive at the end and they should have cut some levels, with Super Mario Galaxy 2 every level has its own identity, yet the game still last 15 hours more or less, good job Nintendo !

I'll still complain about the lack of a true worked story, but hey, it's not like all the Mario games have more or less the same one. Overall 9.5 rating, but to mark the improvement from the first one I'll give it a 10, great fun in a lovely and imaginative universe, must play for every platform lover.
  4. CodyD.
    May 23, 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is easily a contender for game of the year and may be the best game this generation. While the game may lack story (its your general Bowser captures Peach, Mario saves her deal), it more than makes up with it in graphics, gameplay, level design, sound, and difficulty. The graphics in SMG2 can only be described with one word: amazing. Not "amazing for a Wii game," just Super Mario Galaxy is easily a contender for game of the year and may be the best game this generation. While the game may lack story (its your general Bowser captures Peach, Mario saves her deal), it more than makes up with it in graphics, gameplay, level design, sound, and difficulty. The graphics in SMG2 can only be described with one word: amazing. Not "amazing for a Wii game," just amazing. Coming from someone who owns a PS3 and a Wii, I can say that this game could easily stand toe to toe with many HD games on the PS3, the graphics are just that good. The backgrounds have an amazing amount of detail and the characters are all animated extremely well. The gameplay in SMG2 is the true deciding factor, however. The game plays even better than SMG1 and the controls feel even tighter and very responsive. Yoshi controls with ease and the new suits are a very fun addition to a winning formula. The level design is not only some of the best work Nintendo has ever produced, but some of the best work ever made. The gravity feels as accurate as ever and the levels keep you on your toes. While some reviewers complained the game was "too hard," I couldn't disagree more. The difficulty in SMG2 feels perfectly balanced and very rewarding. Some areas will have you yelling with frustration, but the rewards at the end are always there. The music in SMG2 is also very well done, with many large orchestral tunes that set the mood extremely well. All in all, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the epitome of the platformer genre and easily an early front runner for 2010 GotY. This is a game that should be played by any self-respecting gamer who enjoys a great game with a decent challenge. Expand
  5. MartinS
    May 23, 2010
    Nintendo once again surpasses my expectations. nice to see an amazing mario game before the next nintendo console comes out.
  6. MattG.
    May 23, 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a Great game, has beautiful graphics, and a magnificent story line. this game is easily one of Nintendo's top ten.
  7. Jan 15, 2011
    Even though the first time I played this game was in a store and I was kicked off in the first three minutes, it was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. I'm also a very tough scorer, might I add. The reason this game deserves a ten is because it included hugely imaginative galaxies, like the Flash Back galaxy, where you are in a haunted mansion and it flashes a quick burst ofEven though the first time I played this game was in a store and I was kicked off in the first three minutes, it was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. I'm also a very tough scorer, might I add. The reason this game deserves a ten is because it included hugely imaginative galaxies, like the Flash Back galaxy, where you are in a haunted mansion and it flashes a quick burst of light in time with the music. The music is great. It even has its own orchestra called "The Super Mario Galaxy Orchestra". FACT. For a Wii game, the graphics are really good. This game is nowhere near easy. There's so many stars to collect and the later galaxies are as tough as cremated steak but they reward you very well. Good luck beating this 100% in your first year. I did not get bored once in this game, and that is saying something. Of course, it does have similar bosses to the original and some often reappear but that did not bug me one single bit. Although I did kind of want to give it a lower score because of that, it's just impossible. It's that kind of game that makes you glad that you're a gamer. Expand
  8. Mar 2, 2011
    All my life, I've followed the Mario franchise as a loyal fan. Sure I may not be as big a fan of Mario as I am a Zelda fan, but Mario is still one of my favorite and most beloved video game characters ever. So naturally, I was definately looking forward to getting my hands on this monster of a Mario game. Wow, what a monster it was. Seriously, Mario Galaxy 2 has got to be the best MarioAll my life, I've followed the Mario franchise as a loyal fan. Sure I may not be as big a fan of Mario as I am a Zelda fan, but Mario is still one of my favorite and most beloved video game characters ever. So naturally, I was definately looking forward to getting my hands on this monster of a Mario game. Wow, what a monster it was. Seriously, Mario Galaxy 2 has got to be the best Mario game since Super Mario 64, which is my personal favorite Mario game, and also one of my most favorited games ever. I can't say for sure if Mario Galaxy 2 is better than Mario 64, it's actually a tough call, that's how amazing this game is. The little plummer dressed in red has shown with this game that he's still got it. Honestly, I can hardly find anything wrong with this game, it's nearly perfect. Some say it might actually be better than Ocarina of Time itself. Although I disagree with that, I still think that Mario Galaxy 2 is one of Nintendo's best titles. They really went all out with this game. I mean, Mario Galaxy 1 was a great game, it is still known as one of the Wii's best games. So the fact that Nintendo brought it out again and made it better? That is one heck of an accomplishment. Many elements go into play here, which include having to use gravity, just like you did in the first game. But this time, they added Yoshi. SON OF A......... FREAKIN YOSHI MAN!!!!! EPIC WIN!!!! I mean seriously, everybody loves Yoshi right? Also for you Luigi fans out there, yup, they added Luigi, AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER! At certain levels, you can select to play as Luigi, which will give you bonuses in other levels. There are more levels, and more stars. Yup, Mario Galaxy 1 had 120 stars. Mario Galaxy 2 has 240 stars!! That might keep you busy for a while. :) Unlike the first game, the game is laid out more like the original Mario Bros games. You got world 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, ya know how it works. One cool thing is how your ship looks like Mario's head. Yet another epic win. :) As far as gameplay goes, it's pretty much flawless. The only issue I saw was how the pointer may sometimes have to be exactly on the star bits you collect to draw them in, making it a bit sensative, but most of the time, you won't even notice it. The other flaw I saw is the camera, which can be a little clunky at times, but hardly interferes with the game's overall greatness. Other than these flaws, the games completely great and alot of fun, and the 240 stars will take up alot of time. Some people may think that Mario's time has come, and that it's time for him to leave the building. I think that''s stupid. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is proof that as old as Mario is, he's still as great as he was 25 years ago. Mario's legacy has lived for a very long time, and I strongly believe that Mario is not even close to being done yet. Trust me, this game is considered one of the highest rated games of all time for a reason. If there is ever going to be a Super Mario Galaxy 3, count me in!! This game deserves no less than a perfect 10/10. I have also chosen Super Mario Galaxy 2 as my choice for 2010 Game of the Year. Mario my friend, you still got it. Expand
  9. Sep 5, 2012
    3D platforming at its best. The controls are precise, the graphics are vivid and they manage to create orignal puzzles. They improved everything from its predecessor, it is easily one of the best games of this generation.
  10. Dec 5, 2011
    I have been playing Nintendo games since I was 8 years old, when I was bought an NES for christmas. Super mario bros came with it, and I was instantly captivated. Me and my friends would obsessively play it for hours together...taking it in turns to see who could get furthest, or who could find a secret that none of us already knew. SO began my love of Nintendo, and Mario. It has been aI have been playing Nintendo games since I was 8 years old, when I was bought an NES for christmas. Super mario bros came with it, and I was instantly captivated. Me and my friends would obsessively play it for hours together...taking it in turns to see who could get furthest, or who could find a secret that none of us already knew. SO began my love of Nintendo, and Mario. It has been a rewarding love afair, with each game in the series capturing the same magic as that Christmas in 1989 (Except for SUper Mario Sunshine...That one was a bit ropey).

The first Super Mario Galaxy was amazing. I loved playing around with gravity, and some of the levels were expertly crafted; but...It was all a bit easy. I had come to associate Mario with a difficulty curve that catered for those of a tougher constitution. And this is where the sequal comes in. It may seem like simply a second chapter to the first game, but it is so much more. It improves upon what came before in every way. Most importantly it is a very tough cookie in places, with some of the most fiendinsh level design since the Super Mario 64.

If you consider yourself a gamer, play this game. If you are a Nintendo fan...well you must have already played and played and played it, so you know what I am talking about.
  11. Dec 13, 2011
    this game is not what I was expecting. I thought there wold be more yoshi stages. but is was still kind of fun. so that is why I think it should be 7/10
  12. Jun 7, 2012
    This game feels like it should have been DLC. there is just a severe lack of new content here, if you played the first game then there's no reason to buy this game.
  13. Mar 21, 2013
    It sucks to be a sequel to one of the greatest games ever made, but SMG2 almost tops its predecessor. The level design is still some of the best in any video game, much of it is owed to the new powerups and the addition of Yoshi. The graphics push the Wii to its limits both in detail and style, and it's hard to find a game that looks better on any platform. The orchestral themes are back,It sucks to be a sequel to one of the greatest games ever made, but SMG2 almost tops its predecessor. The level design is still some of the best in any video game, much of it is owed to the new powerups and the addition of Yoshi. The graphics push the Wii to its limits both in detail and style, and it's hard to find a game that looks better on any platform. The orchestral themes are back, but many are reused or sound extremely similar to the ones in the original. Also, instead of a cute side story and unique, fully realized hub world like Galaxy 1, you get to explore Mario's head and go through a boring world/level map. So all in all, Galaxy 2 is a must-have game and stands tall as one of the best on Wii but like I said earlier: doesn't quite top Galaxy. Expand
  14. Feb 4, 2013
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a fun game and all, but didn't get to me the way the first did. I didn't like how the Comet Observatory was replaced with Starship Mario, and how Rosalina was replaced with Lubba. I did like the final Green Power Star montage. Overall I give this game an 8/10 stars.
  15. May 25, 2014
    Nintendo hyped themselves by creating a whole new galaxy,the planets are great,the powers are great and it is one of the most re-playable and hard to complete puzzle games i have ever played
  16. Jan 19, 2015
    This was a fun continuation to the super Mario galaxy franchise. But, it was nothing like the first

Pros
    -fun gameplay
    -nice bosses

Cons
    -Too hard sometimes
    -to complex

I will definitely buy super Mario galaxy 3 if it comes out.
  17. MattW.
    May 23, 2010
    3D platforming at its perfected finest. If you don't understand what's so special about Super Mario Galaxy 2, then you need to have your brain checked for lack of the concept of "fun".
  18. Aug 17, 2010
    This is one of the greatest games I've ever played. The graphics are so vivid, the game play is great with the controls, also it just brings back Mario in another awesome game! I think it's the best game that I own for the Wii besides the first one.
  19. Sep 4, 2011
    Absolutely spectacular! I love how they included some of the original music from the previous game, and even made more better music for the galaxies. I love how the graphics are perfect, rather than the original, and the puzzles are very original.
  20. Aug 28, 2011
    Improves on the original in every way, and ways you wouldn't know possible. The addition of Yoshi, new power-ups and millions of stuff besides that makes this a huge leap forward from Galaxy 1. A must have.
  21. May 12, 2015
    So many people have argued Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a perfect game or the best game ever. It changes the Galaxy formula a bit, but it definitely doesn't perfect it.

I gave it away as a gift and both of us felt like it was a slog to start. I loved Galaxy 1 and while it's story and hub were woefully underdeveloped I kind of liked that they were there. Galaxy 2 is mostly more of the same, but while people say it removes those elements and streamlines the experience more it doesn't. The hub is still there as an extra step to the level selection only now it's completely uninteresting.

The story, while more straight forward, does take up quite a long time in the beginning before you get to the first level of gameplay. It's far to text-heavy and segmented for a story that only amounts to "Bowser took Peach". What ever happened to SM64's three sentence introductory letter and jump straight into gameplay? The addition of Yoshi just complicates things more and doesn't fit well with these small, planetoid worlds.

While these aren't in any way crippling all of these misses make Galaxy 2 a game that seems like it went for streamlining things, but only went half-way there and has less personality than the original game.
  22. Aug 12, 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 is an excellent game in all kinds of aspects, the gameplay is all perfect and responsive, the variety is impressive not only on the different gameplay mechanics encountered, but also on the environments and ideas implemented. Graphics are the best on Wii, even more polished than its predecessor`s superb engine and the animation is fluid. Best of all when talking aboutSuper Mario Galaxy 2 is an excellent game in all kinds of aspects, the gameplay is all perfect and responsive, the variety is impressive not only on the different gameplay mechanics encountered, but also on the environments and ideas implemented. Graphics are the best on Wii, even more polished than its predecessor`s superb engine and the animation is fluid. Best of all when talking about presentation is the overall soundtrack of the game with full orchestrated tunes that sound beautiful and suit perfectly on the different levels. Those are the basics of what makes this game great, but going into more detail the real reason for it to be a true masterpiece comes thanks to the overall brilliance implemented by Nintendo with the level designs. This are all incredibly creative, varied and best of all, almost every one has new mechanics and ideas to show, the first hour of this game has more new things than almost all other entire games. A lot of the levels are also very challenging, if there was something wrong with the original Super Mario Galaxy was that it was pretty easy as a whole, but this sequel fixed that, and as a result it is a much more balance and satisfactory game. Galaxy 2 is also much more streamlined for the better, the new hub is just a spaceship shape like Mario`s face, its very little and to access a level all is needed is press a button on the ship and a map with all the unlocked levels will unveil, there, it is as easy as point and clicking the desired level, its all very organize, so there`s no worries about starting the game after a break and dont knowing where to go. This design also makes the game a much more fluid experience since its easy and fast to go to any level, making sure to always be in the action and not traveling long distances from hub to hub to access different levels like in the original, this also makes the game all the more addicting.Galaxy 2 is also more Mario like, theres lots of references to past Mario games coming from tunes enemies and even some of the levels unlike the original which concentrated soley on the space theme most of the time. The implementation of Yoshi also expands on the game since controlling him is much more different and he has different abilities than Mario, the levels design specifically for him are really fun and approach very well those new mechanics that he introduces. Closing down, it is also fair to mention how huge this game really is with a total of 242 stars, those include the classic and basic 120 stars that consist of showing all the levels and ideas, classic Mario, but the other 120 is a very rewarding challenge that Nintendo included, if theres something to know about it is that it is extremely hard. Completing that challenge will unlock the last level with the two remaining stars which are as hard as they can be, but ultimately makes up for the most satisfactory completion of a game on recent memory. That would be an approximate of 30 hours depending on the skill, which is just truly perfect. Consider this game the ultimate Mario experience and the most fun of this generation, a perfect and reliable contender for Game of the Year 2010. Expand
  23. Jan 1, 2012
    To be honest, 10 out of 10 doesn't even come close to doing this game justice. Best Wii game and best platformer ever made, no question. Managed the impossible job of improving upon its predecessor.
  24. Aug 23, 2010
    A content packed game, with a stunning soundtrack, stunning visuals and some of the most fun you will get on Wii. This is by far the best Wii game, few other titles, if any, come close to the imagination, playfullness or perfection that Galaxy 2 achieves.
  25. Sep 13, 2011
    I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's a great game, yes, but not nearly the best for the console, as its score would suggest. The graphics and sound are excellent. Sometimes gameplay fails at the controls (Mainly while you walk on planets and round surfaces), but it's generally solid. The story is nonexistent, which is good since Mario should be all arcade.

What really,

What really, REALLY makes this game's score go down is tha awful amount of hand holding. I mean, halfway through the game they're still telling you how to spin with the wiimote, some of the bosses are awfully easy to beat, and you'll find yourself just blasting through the game.

To sum up, great graphics and sound, generally solid controls, nonexistent story and a terrible lack of difficulty (huge flaw). Good game overall, worth buying.
  26. Nov 28, 2011
    Mario Galaxy 2 truly is the Jewel in the Wii's Crown. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed this game even more than the first one, I loved that game, even saying it was the best game on the Wii. This one is more streamlined, the levels are possibly more fun and the graphics are even better. The only thing the first one has over this is the story, but Mario games aren't amazing for thatMario Galaxy 2 truly is the Jewel in the Wii's Crown. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed this game even more than the first one, I loved that game, even saying it was the best game on the Wii. This one is more streamlined, the levels are possibly more fun and the graphics are even better. The only thing the first one has over this is the story, but Mario games aren't amazing for that anyway. This seriously is the best game on the Wii. Plus, it has Yoshi, which is always good. And the boss battles with Bowser this time are incredibly epic. Everything just works so smoothly and well, Nintendo obviously put a lot of work into this masterpiece. Best game of the generation easily. Expand
  27. Nov 8, 2011
    I've briefly played "Super Mario Galaxy 2" and although it was brief, I still remember the epicness from the game. Not only does the game look clean and good, but the mechanism was simple and familiar. Mario couldn't look better in any other Mario games than this one. The brilliant, pure creativity of the product was also a blast. BUY IT!!!
  28. Moe
    May 23, 2010
    Mario at its best. Great controls, great graphics, great replay value and AMAZING gameplay. I love this game so much. It's very creative and has something new in every level. Anyone who owns a Wii should buy this game.
  29. DaveO
    May 23, 2010
    Absolutely magical, outstanding, mesmerizing, a triumpth. Galaxy 2 ups everything the original was and shows us why it remains the best 3D platformer in existence with level design that needs to be seen to believed.
  30. Aug 21, 2010
    Better than the original in terms of gameplay, somehow. More user-friendly, too. However, the map system and Yoshi's controls are very clunky. These are minor and don't particularly detract from the experience, which is very immersive in levels.
  31. Jun 24, 2012
    Lots of people gush over this game, but it is nothing special.

Lots of people gush over this game, but it is nothing special.

Like its predecessor, the game, while ostensibly a 3D platformer, is missing what makes 3D platformers special - exploration. Instead, the levels are quite linear and very often, the fact that the game is 3D is rather irrelevant. Oh boy, there was a 90 degree turn in the linear path, which then continues on linearly! How awesome! This is the "3D" of this game for much of its gameplay, and there are sections which don't even pretend to be 3D, limiting Mario to a 2D environment.

As such, all we have are the levels, and the level design is not amazing. It isn't terrible - some of the levels are pretty fun - but it is often bland, the levels generally have a very unappealing appearance (looking quite boring), and there is usually only one path through any given level. The "secret stars" are never well hidden and are basically gimmes, resulting in many hours of bland gameplay with the occaisional really interesting bit.

This game, like its predecessor, is a step back from Mario 64. While it is better than Super Mario Galaxy, having much more interesting levels from a gameplay standpoint, the overall ugliness of the game, the lack of cohesion, and the linear levels make it feel like just a random grab bag of ideas rather than any sort of exciting or interesting whole.

This game is not terrible, but it is mediocre. There are many better games, and this game's high metacritic scores are soley due to the fact that it has the name Mario in it..

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Jan 18, 2011
    If you loved the first Super Mario Galaxy, you will adore the sequel.
  2. While Super Mario Galaxy 2 could easily have been a cheap cash-in with a few lackluster additional levels, it manages to be something more. It expands on the gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy and adds enough new twists and turns to feel like a full-fledged sequel.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is largely more of the same, and that helps make it a phenomenal experience. Nintendo didn't reinvent the formula. Instead, it took what fans loved about the prequel and then jazzed everything up with never before seen galaxies, planets and a more streamlined user interface.