8.9

1. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow. Just wow. Nintendo know how to make a good mario game, that much is for certain. Super Mario Galaxy is a 3D platformer with a unique difference. Hence the name, Mario's in space. While you could easily dismiss this as a gimmick, that is exactly what it is not. First off, it means that everything looks gorgeous. The Wii isn't HD, so it's amazing Nintendo managed to pull this off (but it would be even better in HD, and that's why I'd like a remake for Wii U). Everywhere, it's cosmos, but that doesn't mean Nintendo have gone for one background and reused it- every galaxy is unique in everything, including looks. Next is music. It's amazing. Recorded by an orchestra, every piece conveys the atmosphere of the galaxy (and, oh, those atmospheres are things to treasure). So that's excellent presentation. Beautiful and always, always unique. But the most important thing that Galaxy introduces is planet-hopping. You can run right round a planet and come back to where you were before. While this seems pointless, in reality it brings a whole new dimension to the platforming, and is used in a variety of clever, different ways. Here's the clever thing: you always use a launch star, which is like a cannon except it's a star(don't ask) to get to another planet. And most levels consist of a few conxecutive planets.The set out of the game is essentially about forty galaxies, each holding a one to six levels, or 'scenarios'. The goal of each is to collect the star at the end. The way to actually reach each galaxy is a bit like Super Mario 64- levels are in different places in your hub, the observatory. Getting to them is annoying. It's not like you get lost- it's just boring getting to them. The good-for-nothing map of the observatory doesn't help either. So each galaxy has a particular theme, and it is always very imaginative. Even the routine desert galaxy is filled with surprises. A lot of the gakaxies have levels with boss fights, and a lot of the themes of the galaxies could be turned into entirely new games themselves. There are loads of new powerups, and they are always required to progress when they appear. So they're not so much power-ups as they are like items in zelda. There's the bee suit, to name just one. Each power gives you unique abilities which are always very cleverly and creatively implemented. Each galaxy usually has one or three normal levels, then maybe a hidden star in one of the levels, and one or two comet levels. Comet levels are special stars that come into galaxies you've cleared as you progress through the game. They give you a particular aim and are always very hard. The downside is when they arrive, they replace all the other levels in that galaxy until you've completed that comet level. There's a spin jump to assist you in Super Mario Galaxy, like a double jump. The camera is perfect, never wondering. My biggest problem is that although there are checkpoints, they're not marked, so you've no idea where you'll respawn if you die. There's also a mode where a second player can assist Mario by collecting star bits(in game currency) for them among other things, but this mode is too limited. Overall, Galaxy is a fantastic game and one of the best if not the best, refreshing plstforners around. Expand
  2. Dec 13, 2013
    Super Mario Galaxy is the third 3D Super Mario video game, after Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, and the first main series Mario video game to be released for the Nintendo Wii.
    The story of the game starts with the star festival that happens every one hundred years where the mushroom kingdom celebrates the arrival of the comet. Princess Peach writes a letter to Mario to invite
    him to the festival. As Mario reaches the castle, Bowser attacks the town and uproots the earth around the castle and lifts it into space, Mario on the mound of earth with the castle gets shot down by Kamek and lands on a planet. There, he meets a few Lumas who lead him to Rosalina and she tells him that Bowser has taken the Princess to the centre of the universe and must retrieve Power Stars to reach there, she also entrusts a Luma simply named 'Luma' into his care.
    The primary gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy is similar to that of the previous three dimensional Mario games. Mario can perform various jumps like the backflip and the long jump, the new gameplay mechanic is that because 'Luma' joins Mario, there is the new spin attack move where you can stun enemies, destroy objects and use it to gain additional height and reach higher places. The main hub of the game is the Comet Observatory where you can enter different domes to access different galaxies. Each galaxy has various missions and the goal is to get the power star at the end just like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine The more Power stars you collect, the more galaxies you have access to. However, unlike those games your health capacity is only three instead of eight, you can collect coins to regain health when damaged and also star bits which you can shoot at enemies to stun them.
    The level designs of Super Mario Galaxy are interesting ad has a great colour palette. The graphics of the game are also unique as they are spherical planets instead of just flat land and it really plays around with gravity. The soundtrack is also well orchestrated and is very beautiful. The game is very challenging as I had lost many lives because of hazards or tough bosses, this is great for those who are looking for a difficult video game. The controls are responsive as using the 'spin' ability is activated by shaking the Wii remote and it works well. In addition, the game has a cooperative multiplayer mode where the second player is in control of a pointer which can help Mario by stopping enemies and certain hazards, collect and shoot star bits and also help Mario make higher jumps, I fid it useful as it can help to get through the levels easier considering they can be tough. My only nit-pick with the game is that the levels in Super Mario Galaxy are smaller than in its predecessors.
    Super Mario Galaxy is truly a masterpiece of the seventh generation of home consoles. With brilliant level designs, graphics, gameplay and a wonderfully made soundtrack, this game is a must-have for the Nintendo Wii owners and if you do not have one, this is one the reasons why you should get one. I give this game a 10/10.
  3. Jul 30, 2013
    This game is one of the best I've ever played. It may be the best game for the Wii, besides the sequel. The story is pretty good, even though it isn't very deep. It's a little confusing as well. The gameplay is great. Mario's jumps, spins, flips, superjumps, and acrobatics are all there. The powerups are fun to use, and the level design is great. I love how each level is a Galaxy, and there are plenty of them. It has some of the best graphics on the Wii, some of the best music in a videogame ever. Although it's fairly easy, playing a children's game has never been more enjoyable. Expand
  4. Aug 4, 2013
    If you own a Wii and haven't played this, GO AND GET IT NOW, IT IS THAT GOOD.

Simply put, a masterpiece.

Music is amazing, graphics and controls as well.

Every level feels unique and intriguing. It sucks you in.

10 out of 10.
  5. Aug 16, 2013
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest Mario games period. It does everything that a Mario game should do, but does it tremendously. The platforming is challenging but still accessible to new comers and the level design oozes with creativity. One second you could be surfing with penguins and the next you are fighting against a giant robot. The motion controls are used just as much as they should be. They are primarily used for firing star bits and doing spins. The game is huge with 120 stars to collect and a second game where you play as Luigi. No level feels poorly designed and considering how many levels there are, that is saying a lot. The story is your standard Peach get captured adventure. However, what makes this story different is the character of Rosalina who has a very interesting backstory. The graphics look very polished and the soundtrack is incredible. However, what makes this game great is one thing, the fun factor. When it comes down to it, what makes a game is the gameplay and how much fun it's and Galaxy delivers in spades. If you haven't played this game yes, there is no excuse. It is one of the highest rated games of all time for a reason. Expand
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    This is by far one of the most amazing experiences on the Wii! At first, being a Mario fan, I thought this game looked a little too strange and would mess up what I always loved, but I'm happy to say that it offered another level of innovation and fun!

It adds a new theme to that fun Mario atmosphere that we always loved! This is by far one of the best games on the Wii.
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    The game is incredible with tons of levels, great gameplay, solid controls, surprisingly responsive motion controls, great bosses, average characters, a Luigi mode, and great new power ups this game is really the definitive game on the Wii (excluding cross over games).
  8. Jan 17, 2014
    one of the most fun games that i have ever play on wii
    super mario galaxy is a must game that i enjoyed playing i love using luigi in both games once you beat game as mario however the mission are challenge but still fun
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    let me start this off by saying that super mario galaxy is one of the best games of all time, it just might be the best game of all time and it is without a doubt the best mario game ever. now the story is basic, bowser wants peach so he takes here into space. and the gameplay, it's amazing, you control mario on an incredible adventure through space and you'll go through all kinds of galaxies that are very different from each other, the galaxies are the levels of this game. and the objective of the game is like super mario sunshine, find the shine sprite, however in this game you're finding power stars which are like shine sprites. when you start the game you are greeted with one of the best cutscenes in any video game ever. then you go on an adventure that mario and you will never forget. there are over 40 galaxies to explore in this game, and they are so great, one of my favorite galaxies is the honeyhive galaxy, this galaxy has you trying to protect the bees from their enemies the manabugs, and another galaxy called the ghostly galaxy is like luigi's mansion all over again, only this time you play as mario and you have to find luigi in a haunted mansion. and probably my all time favorite galaxy the one made out of toys, you also platform on a gaint 8-bit mario, that is probably to this day the best level in any super mario game to this day. the controls are also great and you use the wii remote to point at the screen and collect star bits, star bits are to super mario galaxy, what blue coins are super mario sunshine, if you collect enough of them you can unlock extra levels. and the music in this game is BEAUTIFUL. the orchestra that played this music is great, yes i said that an orchestra played music for a super mario game. this is one of the best games i have ever played, the best game on the wii, the best game of 2007, and the best mario game. this game is a masterpeice and i HIGHLY recomend this to anyone. this game gets a 10 out of 10 score perfect not one thing is wrong with this game. Expand
  10. Sep 7, 2013
    Fantastic game! Very lengthy, great 'story' long enough to totally enjoy, and still things left to do after you get Bowser. Camera angles got a little bit funky at times, but that's my only complaint. Solid Mario game.
  11. Sep 12, 2013
    The first time I ever laid my eyes on this awesome Mario game was back in 2007 on Halloween (No Joke).
    I am really surprised with this Mario game, I played it and loved it. Score: 4/5.
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    A masterpiece in platforming. Sure, the story is definitely nothing novel worthy, but the graphics are masterful. Everything looks amazing. The controls are flawless, the replay value is high, and the camera is almost always in the right position. Probably one of the best parts of the game is its soundtrack. It is truly wonderful to listen to. Buy the soundtrack if you can. The difficulty is very consistent except for maybe a couple boss fights and some of the purple coin levels. If you own a Wii or Wii U, get to GameStop, BuyBacks, Amazon, or any retailer that sells this game. It is worth every single penny. Expand
  13. Oct 18, 2013
    Super mario galaxy is an impressive game Mario's leap into space is an adventure like no other The graphics in this game are beautiful the best on wii .the soundtrack and level design is phenomenal and the gameplay is flawless You should buy it now as is one of the best games in history 9.7/10
  14. Jan 22, 2014
    A true masterpiece. I have played this game so much when i was younger... My childhood favorite! The mechanics, gameplay, all executed perfectly. I love this game!
  15. Jan 4, 2014
    One of the best games ever made. This game takes everything Super Mario 64 had, and made this 10 times better. Probably the only game that outdoes it last gen was galaxy 2.
  16. Jan 2, 2014
    Probably one of the most imaginative and well designed games I have ever played, seemingly designed for children, but more than just a little fitting for anyone more mature. This game offers fantastic platforming segments, as well as interesting level design and a touching story on the side.

The main story is, of course, rather more of the same; princess gets kidnapped, Mario goes to
    rescue her. But what sets this game apart from the others lies in the game mechanics; it sees you jumping from planet to planet, gathering star bits (seemingly the currency in the game) and navigating elaborate obstacles and challenges. This game is more than just jumping and dodging; some involve clever tactics, others require you to search the environment for clues.

This game is also far from small; you must gather around 200 stars to fully accomplish the game, and not all of those will come easy to you, as is obvious in Mario galaxy's almost punishing bonus challenges, which appear in the form of "prankster comets". These offer special challenges to levels you have previously completed, such as only being able to take one hit of damage, or racing against time. Difficult, but certainly a welcome challenge.

Overall, fantastic, very nearly flawless game. It is well deserving of a perfect score, and of all the great scores it seems to have attained from official critics. Nintendo does it again.
  17. Jan 9, 2014
    What can i say about the game that has not already been said? This game is a masterpiece in gaming and a landmark in modern gaming. Everything about Galaxy is perfect, just absolutely everything. I don't have a single complaint about this game. Get this is game if you don't have it.
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    Super Mario Galaxy is an excellent game. The graphics are amazing, and with 120 stars to collect, the game will definitely keep the player entertained for a long time.
    Amazing graphics, music, gameplay, control, and design.
  19. PMG
    Jan 31, 2014
    This game is easy, but to me it still is the best WII game. With so many big and interesting levels, bosses like King fin, Boulder geist and Bowser, the sweet power ups, Rosalina and the comet observatory all help to make this my favorite Mario game ever.
  20. Jan 30, 2014
    Such gaming goodness! So satisfying to collect the stars and the level design makes me go all gooey.. The only issue I have is with control - controlling Mario underwater can be tough.
  21. Feb 3, 2014
    Hands down the best game Nintendo have ever created. This game is the pinnacle of their creative brilliance and every minute was entertaining, unique and a pleasure to play. It has the appeal of the other 3D Mario games but excels in it's own ideas which are not present in many Nintendo games today. It's amazing, if you haven't played it please do.
  22. Feb 9, 2014
    Great Game! It was my first Wii game that I played, I absolutely love it, it's a ton of fun! I think everyone should buy it! really good graphics! really good storyline for a Mario game ( not bashing Mario story writers)
  23. Feb 14, 2014
    Favorite game of all time finished it 13 times and still can't get enough also it is a huge leap for Nintendo now all we need is super mario galaxy 3 to save the wii u
  24. Feb 27, 2014
    The best wii game ever released. pitch perfect platforming and stunning graphics and art design for a wii game nintendo has set a high bar for itself with this gem.
  25. Mar 8, 2014
    The greatest game of all time is what people, and it's easy to see why. With a never-thought of-gameplay, beautiful visuals that makes HD games look bland, and Bowser at his cruelest, this is game is a must have for any generations.
  26. Feb 27, 2014
    My all time favorite. I remember my joy of when I got my Wii on Christmas day 2007, and then just a few hours later when the rest of my family came over I unwrapped this masterpiece. It became my entire childhood and to this day I have never played a game that had come any where close to matching it. It was probably one of the saddest days of my life when stupid me broke the disc, I was traumatized for days.

This game proved with its graphics that 480p can be gorgeous and that HD doesn't matter. Its incredible controls cannot be matched by any other. The music puts you to tears every time and unlike most titles, the soundtrack is worth buying. This game here is what made me a gamer.

This game here showed me the beautiful light of Nintendo. And I will treasure this game for the rest of my life. Just a few months ago I got a new copy of the game and pulled all nighters playing it and felt emotions I will probably never feel again. I will never get over my feelings for this masterpiece that we have all experienced.
  27. Apr 11, 2014
    Super Mario Galaxy is without a doubt one of the greatest Mario games ever made. First off the story is really good, even for just a generic "Bowser kidnaps Peach", it does more with some cool themes and even a little bit of darkness to it, I also like the character, Rosalina, and later on in the game you will hear of a back story about her with I think is something I really like that they put in a Mario game. The Gameplay is pretty much near-flawless, it controls fine and there is some great levels and designs; speaking of designs, this game has some of the best graphics on the Wii, it almost looks HD! I also like that Luigi is in this game after his absence in SM64 and SMS, he was pretty fun to play. Overall SMG is one of the greatest Mario games and one of the greatest Wii games out there. An essential game to add to your Wii Library. Expand
  28. May 3, 2014
    Super Mario Galaxy loves imaginative minds. As more mature audiences can still enjoy everything about Super Mario Galaxy, young children seem to love it the most. It leads them to wonder what planets they will discover, what people they will meet, and how they will traverse this enormous playground in the unlimited. I'm sure you know why this game is amazing, but you might not know how much more amazing it is through the eyes of a child. If you have a child between the ages of 7-10, give them Super Mario Galaxy and watch them gradually master the game and some day beat it with the inner thought of, "What If?" Although, don't be afraid that they will run out of things to do, they will find what to do. Trust me, I experienced it. Expand
  29. May 19, 2014
    This game is a really fun and enjoyable 3D Mario game that will challenge and excite gamers like myself. My only gripe with this game is the basic storyline but everything else is spot on.
  30. May 24, 2014
    This game is just a diamond but not rare to find. My relationship with this game is amazing from this was my first Mario actually my first Nintendo game and is why I'm still a fan and still love Mario. The game design is like something you would see in movie that won best picture. The music oh my days the music, not only the best soundtrack for Mario but probably the greatest music I've ever herd.to bring it all down this game wait not game, Masterpiece is why you should get a wii, why I love Mario, and why I love video games I give this a Giant ten. Thank you Mario and Thank you Nintendo Expand
  31. Jun 5, 2014
    A great game from the Mario Franchise. It's got different kinds of game play, and lumas are adorable. Especially hungry lumas. What I really like is that if you're friend or sibling wants to play you can both be involved because the second player can use a wiimote to get starbits, and hold things and enemies in place to help out player one. it's actually really fun collecting starbits and being able to hold things. You can even click on player one to make him jump, which can be used for evil, haha. Expand
  32. Jun 9, 2014
    This is by far the best Mario game of all time. The graphics first of all deserve beyond a 10, I mean, this was a game of 2007! The presentation was absolutely beautiful and matches the current Mario games, or even excelling them. The soundtrack is also one of the best in all the Mario games. There are still your usual quirky up-beat themes showcased from other games, but there are also some very beautiful orchestral arrangements which bring the soundtrack over the top. The gameplay and controls of this game are the thing that really brings it over the top though. This games innovation with the gravity mechanics and the 3D planets, etc. was BRILLIANT! It is so fun to explore the planets and have fun with the gravity, even if it becomes bothersome at times. I could rant all day about this game but you should just get it yourself if you don't have it already and play the **** out of it. This game is a must buy despite what others say and is a game that will leave a legacy for years to come! Expand
  33. Oct 6, 2014
    8,6 million sold copies is pretty disappointing for such a MASTERPIECE. this game is a must play wii-game, everything about is just so good. it has really good graphics, complex story, and the most memorable bosses in the Mario series. the new gimmick they give you is AMAZING.
  34. Jun 30, 2014
    An all-time favourite of mine and tied as my favourite Mario game with it's sequel. Super Mario Galaxy was the funnest time I had on the Wii in single-player. Running around planets upside-down and being fired out of volcanoes with a quick shake of the Wii remote for the first time are some gaming moments that'll stick with me forever. This game was just full of 'wow' moments. As you'd expect from a Mario game the level design was perfect and so was the music and gameplay. The camera issues often plaguing 3D platformers were pretty much non-existent here. This thing was a delight to play. Visually, it's one of the stand-out games for the Wii (although slightly eclipsed by its successor in this particular field). The game just oozed originality and my excitement in playing it is one I haven't felt since I was a kid playing Mario 64. A magical, magical game. Expand
  35. Jul 23, 2014
    This is the best Mario game I've ever played. Heck, It may be the best WII game I've ever played. This game has TONS of replay value. The levels are fun to play, the story is excellent, and the soundtrack......... words cannot describe how much I love this soundtrack!!!
  36. Sep 11, 2014
    Without a doubt my favorite video game of all time. "Super Mario Galaxy" has a great plot, amazing gameplay, beautiful graphics and music, and tons of stuff to do. It's difficulty ranges from relatively easy to very difficult by the end of the game, and it can be a good challenge for pretty much any gamer at some of the more difficult points but not so difficult to casual gamers won't enjoy it. I recommend it to pretty much everyone. Expand
  37. Sep 14, 2014
    Mario blasts off into outer-space with Super Mario Galaxy! Letsa go solve puzzles by using gravity! The star system is back and better than ever! Now let's go blast off into space and get into the gravity-defying journey!
  38. Sep 11, 2014
    Simply put. The best 3D Mario game ever made, and quite possible the best Mario game ever. Super Mario Galaxy is the definition of a perfect video game, if there is such a thing. The levels, plat-forming challenges, anti-gravity, and overall gameplay is top-notch with very, VERY little error. The graphics are the best that the Wii has to offer, this game looks absolutely fantastic, while the Wii was graphically and technically inferior to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, Nintendo made the best use of what they had, and Super Mario Galaxy gives many games on the 360 and PS3 a run for their money for just being absolutely gorgeous to look at. And the music.. Never before has a Mario game's soundtrack been so beautifully done like Galaxy's.The orchestral approach was the best outcome possible for this soundtrack. Gusty Garden, Battlerock, Good Egg, Space Junk, and Rosalina at the Observatory are simply a joy to listen.
    If you own a Wii or Wii U and you haven't played Super Mario Galaxy. Then what on earth is the matter with you!! Play this game, NOW!
  39. Oct 19, 2014
    One of the best Nintendo Wii games to play! Only complain goes to character controlling, which sometimes does not input the right command. CanĀ“t remeber how many times I died in this game because of this...
  40. Sep 26, 2014
    Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo's gift to last gen Console Era.
    Mario was the go to Franchise that never lets you down. The game play was made for any person to understand. for the causal to the hard core gamer, as of game play this game has set a hole new level for the plat forming genera, with all new Princess to save new enemies that you deal with that only Mario does best with use of the
    wii mote. this game has so much to do! there are games with in the game even though the title is not a two player type. I say this because with the secondary wii mote player two can collect falling stars the hero can use during his adventure in play. This game is not all bells and whistles and no where a perfect game but damn near close. right now this game is a must have in any game players Collection.
    Well if you have not yet play Mario Galaxy. I tell you this "stop living under your rock" Get it today.
  41. Oct 23, 2014
    Awesome!, Really Perfect, I Loved The Design, Music, And Gameplay, One Of The Best Games For The Wii, Is A Godlike!, Is A Real Godlike, I Give It A 10
  42. Oct 25, 2014
    Always loved mario, but it was until mario64 that it became one of my fav games and earned from me the title as best videogame ever, is the only classic game that in my opinion got better with the jump to 3D, for example, "new super mario bros" is nice and fun, but empty of challenge and imagination. Everything 2d mario could made was done in mario3 for the nes.

Mario galaxy is still at
    the top of the foodchain in videogaming, no game has even come close, maybe zelda which i love, but this is still the best game. Will take years maybe decades if we're not lucky for a game to surpass the imagination that went behind this masterpiece, this is the only videogame so far that gives you a more or less 4D experience. Tight control, nice soundtrack, every stage is different, 10 different games could came out of this one actually! This is the reason i need to own every nintendo console, im still waiting for "gakaxy 3". NEVER let the childish look of mario fool you, this is as best as videogaming can get. Expand
  43. Nov 11, 2014
    Such an amazing 3d Mario game and although some may agree that it's not as original as sunshine, I personally preferred it. It also led to an amazing sequel with some may believe was better.
  44. Nov 13, 2014
    A game that transcends logical physics to bring fun, an experience that occurs in a large world for a platformer, and a masterpiece filled with fun power-ups, levels, and a good number of challenges, Super Mario Galaxy is the game that defines the Wii, if not the 7th Gen.
  45. Nov 12, 2014
    best game ever made. period. Mario has always had the best games and this is Nintendo's best work. The platforming is precise and all mistakes are the players fault. everything is done beautifully. also, Rosalina is kick ass.

It's rare to play through a perfect game or one that nears perfection, but Galaxy definitely fits that mold.
  2. Nintendo has crafted a platform game that, while not as technologically pioneering as its grandfather, is, level for level, more fun to play than "Mario 64." [Dec 2007, p.128]
    Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.