8.9

1. DME
    Aug 11, 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is a mixed bag. It beats Super Mario Sunshine but still hasn't quite lived up to the same standard that Super Mario 64 set. Sometimes the game is fun and addicting but it also has it's moments of boredom.
    Graphics: 9/10 Nice visuals and effects
    Sound: 10/10 Everything sounds 100% Mario
    Story: 7/10 The princess gets kidnapped for the 3 billionth time.

Gameplay: 9/10 Fun with a few bland spots.
    Overall Score: 9/10 A nice addition to the Wii library.
  2. Jul 15, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is quite simply, one of my favorite video games of all time. My expectations for this game were skyward, in fact, I sold my Gamecube to buy a Wii because I knew I couldn't just miss Mario's next adventure. So its easy to imagine the grateful feelings of excitement when the game shipped and I played it for the first time. It is so rare when I game comes and immediately fulfills all the powerful emotions running for it, but Galaxy fulfilled all I wanted for a next generation Mario back in 2007. It controlled beautifully, It looked beautifully, it sounded beautifully, everything, for a fact, was simply beautiful. But hexed of all the fanaticism that could have possibly propelled my enjoyment throughout my first play-through, the real meat for it to be so impossibly good, and the reason I consider it one of the best games of all time is its masterful creativeness. Galaxy´s levels are some of the most creative work Nintendo has ever done, and coming from a company which´s actual milestone is precisely that, "inventiveness", calling Galaxy a highlight is some serious praise. Galaxy squished all the ingredients that makes Mario games such memorable experiences, while at the same time being new and innovative with its whole gravitational effects. It was the best marriage of old and new, one that only exhibits a sense of perfection. Its only flaw may be that for its short story the game is merely easy, but those who tend to complete this mastery of game design will find plenty of challenge, and a highly entertaining game as well. This is a Nintendo masterpiece. Expand
  3. Aug 17, 2010
    Mario galaxy is a near perfect game, the gameplay is perfect, the sound is perfect, the graphics are exactly the way I like them, and the controls are perfect. Sadly though the game has the same problem as every Mario game, bad story, bad multiplayer, and easy difficulty, but other then that it's a perfect game that anyone can enjoy. Mario galaxy is a game were no level is the same, and all the level have there own hook. In some levels your a bee, and in other your swimming in squid infested water. I am also happy to report every level is fun, so for the 8 hours that it takes you to beat the game you'll enjoy every second of it. Like I said the game is 8 hours long but with great replay value you could play 30 hours like me. Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2010
    This game is the best game on the wii. Truly excellent graphics and gameplay. There is tons and tons of things to do and just keeps you coming back for more.
  5. Jan 4, 2011

Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  6. Sep 29, 2010
    Whenever you are tired of the same genre that repeats itself and steadily drops in creativity, rely on Nintendo to make something the opposite of that. Galaxy is the most ambitious Mario game that Nintendo has ever made yet. Perfect controls as expected, ingenious level designs, jaw dropping graphics that rivals other games offered on the 360 or PS3 and amazing replay value. It's a bit easier than previous Mario games but you need this on your Wii collection. Expand
  7. Sep 16, 2010
    I remember getting my pre-order copy of this game. I was so excited to play it and it was definitely worth 50 dollars. the game is super mario 64 in space, although it was a bit short. One of the greatest experiences i've had in my life.
  8. Nov 8, 2012
    Perfection. If there was a bible on game design this game should be on the cover. Perfect controls that make a good use of the unique features of the wii remote.
    Perfect level design that never felt like backtracking and was always compelling and challenging but without being frustrating nor extremely easy.
    Perfect art design and the best graphics on the system.
    Perfect music,
    orchestrated classic melodies from other Mario games.

Best game of a generation.
  9. Nov 13, 2011
    It was hard to find reasons not to give Galaxy a 10, it's fun, inventive, pretty but unfortunately the level design can be incredibly frustrating. but that should not hold you back from purchasing this magnificent title.
  10. Feb 7, 2014
    Another amazing piece of platforming genius from Nintendo. Like most modern Mario games, it can be quite clinical at times. But for gameplay and fun, there's little better
  11. Jun 5, 2011
    Amazing, that word poorly describes how wonderful this game really are. I start to play just now, 3 years past the launch and the game still is very fresh and not became old.
    I can't speak anymore. I gonna play!
  12. Oct 19, 2010
  13. Oct 18, 2010
    This game is probably one of the best single player Wii games on the market. I have not tried SMG2 yet, but despite the useless secrets of the game, this game has perfect difficulty, amazing level design truly more innovative compared to generic maps like Halo (seriously), and it has a consistent storyline even if it requires saving Princess Peach over and over again from previous (and future) games. This game proves that you do not need HQ graphics or complex gameplay to really have a good time. Expand
  14. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = One of the greatest platformers of all-time!!
  15. Oct 8, 2013
    The greatest Nintendo character of all time gets the best game series ever created in the form of Super Mario Galaxy.

These games are so well crafted and fun that it might be the closest thing to a 'perfect rating' a game could ever get. Everything from the fantastic level design, worlds, characters and beautiful graphics to the breathtaking scope and Bosses makes this one of the very
    best games of all time! It well deserves the attention it gets and as always, I can't wait for Nintendo's next instalment in the Mario franchise. Expand
  16. Nov 20, 2010
    This is brilliant. Fact. There is just so much to cherish, it's just an amazing game. The level design itself is in-genius, Miyamoto and his team have really stretched their imaginations with this game. There is just some amazing levels on offer which I think needs to be played. The orchestral music works like a dream, Kondo and his fellow composers must be credited, the tracks are just stunning, and really set the atmosphere really well, you've just got to love "Gusty Garden Galaxy" tune. Brilliant track. And that's not all, there are many other fine tunes. I must admit, for a Wii game, it's looks fabulous. Most games on the Wii don't show the graphical power like this. The only flaws are it's too short, easy and a hollow storyline. Still, that doesn't really affect it. Get it. Expand
  17. Nov 15, 2010
    Kids, this is really one of the bestest games. Lots of fun here! The games starts with a beautiful cut-scene with no voice acting and SPACESHIPS. Big improvement from that sunshine game amirite? The graphics are also great with lots of variety: space, space, and moar! Music is the good. Level design is the greatest. It like Mario 64 on a LINEAR PATH! GENIUS! Its also very hard. Sometimes, its so hard that I could swear it wasn't my fault that I went into that black hole (NOT BOTTOMLESS PITS). Gravity iz also a fun. Theres only so many uses of it and this game haz the MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Control and camera are OUT OF TEH WORLDS. So much it's almost like I'm not even controlling Moreo at all! Control haz the everything. Momentum based long-jumps from 64, SUPER spin detection, complete camera control, AND YOU HAZ DAT JUMP!

There is nothing wrong with this game at all. Great gameplay, great instruction booklet.
  18. Mar 23, 2013
    Wholly original and infinetly fun. Perhaps one of the best games ever. I think I'm gonna buy it again. It controls like the best of all marios yet it's platforming is ultra complicated technically. But it controls so well that it all seems so simple.
  19. Dec 1, 2010
    This is not as good galaxy 2 but it's still so awesome! I love this but I can see why people don't like this because of the gavity gimics but I like it. I can't wait for the next generation consols and mario game!
  20. Dec 13, 2010
    This very well could be the bet game on the Wii. It has amazing graphics, music, gameplay, control, and design. The ideas are very original and is a blast to play, albeit a little too easy to beat the main story. However, there is plenty to do afterwards. This game will have you coming back for more and more. PLAY IT.Amazing graphics, fun for the whole family, but more towards the kids.TOO SHORT TOO EASY! Everything else is GREAT about this game. I saved princess but i have still 1000 stars to collect." Hope next mario comes soon cos sunshine was so good and whit sunshine mixed whit galaxy it would be the game of the year or bigger! AMAZING Expand
  21. Dec 15, 2010
    What the **** is wrong with people giving a masterpiece below 8?!Are they retarded?!This game is just the best game ever!!(some people disagree because they are Zelda fanboys and didn't play this masterpiece).The gameplay uses traditional 3D epicness!Is just SM64 in space!And it fits like bread with butter!The graphics are flashy and colorful(just like most Mario games).Some classic Mario tunes are back and the music is just great.This game is not great!THIS GAME IS MASTERFUL!A PERFECT 10! Expand
  22. Jan 15, 2011
    Anyone giving it a bad review, oh come on! You're either one of them COD fanboys, guys who don't even own a Nintendo System, trolls, you found the game too hard or you can't appreciate a game. If you don't like the plot, then you should probably read a book or something. Videogames obviously aren't your thing. This game doesn't even need a good plot, and I'd be upset if it was anything else. If it was something else, it won't work one bit and the game would be pointless. *Cough* (Sonic The Hedgehog) *Cough*. I mean, the Galaxies have variety, are very pretty, have a really good challenge and do not force you to complete the mission. The hub world is fun to walk around in. It stays true to its roots and throws its new ideas around. Oh, and if you're going to call it "Mario 64 in space", well, Halo Reach is Halo in Space. COD is pretty much always in Russia. Tetris is always well, Tetris. I only have one criticism though, and it's that running through to Bowser on your first go is too easy. While the galaxies are original, it gets repeated a lot. This isn't restricted to children. It's for everyone and the only people I see disliking this are technophobes, COD fanboys, people who only use videogames to do yoga, ride horses, etc. and politicians. Mario doesn't need a gun or killing Nazis to be awesome. Not quite perfect, but man is this game good. Own a Wii? Don't have this game? What is wrong with you? Expand
  23. Jun 30, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy, released way back in 2007 to much critical acclaim. As I will detail, this is a must-by for any Wii owner. Plot As is the case with most Mario games, the story element isn't heavily emphasized, but it is much more present in Galaxy. The game begins with Mario being invited by Princess Peach to the castle to celebrate the once-a-century Star Festival. Upon arrival, you are presented with a scene of joy: Star Bits raining down from the sky, which are then happily picked up by Toads. As you near the castle, the illusion of happiness is shattered as Bowser shows up once again and warps Peach and her castle into orbit. Mario attempts to rescue her, but is foiled by one of Bowser's Magikoopa henchman. Mario later awakens on a small planetoid, on which he meets Rosalina, who then bestows upon Mario the "Spin" ability. She then tells Mario that Bowser has stolen the Power Stars that power her Comet Observatory, rendering it immobile. With his new found power, Mario sets off to restore the Observatory's power and rescue the Princess!

Gameplay and Controls

The gameplay and controls for Mario games generally do not vary much, so you know what to expect. However, there are a few new additions to both though. Controls:
    [center]
    A-Jump
    Z-Crouch
    Control Pad-Camera
    B-Shoot a Star Bit
    Shake Wii Remote/Nunchuk-Spin attack
    C-reset camera position
    Pointer-Gather Star Bits, activate Pull Stars, etc.

Some of the newer elements unique to Galaxy include Mario's new Spin ability, which is essentially his melee attack. Its other uses include extending the distance of his jump and activating Launch Stars, among other things. The next new feature is quite interesting; unlike in past Mario games, falling off of the edge of the level doesn't always spell the end for our plumber. Many planets have their own gravitational pull, allowing you to circumnavigate their entire body. This allows for many new and interesting gameplay scenarios which definitely add to the game's appeal. As you would have expected, Galaxy introduces several new power-ups, each bringing its own new additions to the classic Super Mario gameplay. You will find no slouching in this well crafted department.

Graphics and Sound

These are always a great highlight of Mario titles. Their ability to push the limits of their system's and present us with both a graphical and musical feast. Galaxy's graphics are among the best of the Wii, showcasing many brilliant landscapes, textures and particle effects. Never once are you disappointed by an area that could have been improved. In compliment to this, the soundtrack is also incredible. There are many great orchestrated pieces, as well as the return of many enhanced retro themes, such as an iconic piece from Super Mario Bros. 3. The music is a joy to listen to and makes an already great game even better. I found the Toy Time Galaxy theme to be particularly memorable.

As you can see, Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii, nay, ever. Its additions to the classic Mario formula, and that which remains as before, make this a truly special and nearly perfect game. Upon buying this masterpiece, you shall not be disappointed.
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    tl;dr: This game has excellent graphics, gameplay, and music. One of the best for the wii. ____________________________Borg's Super Mario Galaxy Review__________________________ So here it is, Super Mario Galaxy. Metacritic's 2007 game of the year. Does it hold a candle to it's reception? Let's see. ________________________________________________________________________________ Graphics: Super Mario Galaxy, despite being on the graphically weakest console of this generation, couldn't be aesthetically improved much. The models are extremely smooth, and the textures don't stretch too often. The water, sheen, lighting, among other graphical elements, all look very well done, making Mario Galaxy one of the best (if not the best) looking games on the Wii.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Sound: The soundtrack for Mario Galaxy is orchestrated, and every single level is brought to life by the epic, fitting music. It synergizes perfectly with the graphics and gameplay elements taking place on the screen. Certainly one of Koji Kondo's best works.
    Gameplay: Here's where we get down to the most important element; the gameplay. Super Mario Galaxy's gameplay is nothing less than perfect. You're not bombarded with a slew of glitches ( if there any glitches at all) and the difficulty level is very well perfect, also. Let me explain.. There are several ways of beating the game. You can simply get the minimum 60 stars and beat bowser. There are 120 different missions in the game, so you have alot of variety. But for the hardcore gamers, one can complete all 120 missions, unlock "Super Luigi Galaxy", get all 121 stars in that mode, and then get the last star from the special mission in mario's mode. So much for hardcore gamers to do, and enough for casuals.
    Replayability: See "Gameplay"

Overall: Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best Wii games, and should be in every Wii owners collection.
  25. Feb 26, 2011
    The best game on wii. Mario's space adventure is Very fun. Basic 3-d platforming is mixed with Beautiful graphics and great puzzles . His quest to save you-know-who is easy, yet long, just the way it should be. Rarley did it feel frustrating, just enjoyable. How ever, trying to get all 200 is f------- impossible. A great game from start to end.
  26. Apr 5, 2011
    10.Sin duda, un muy buen juego. No defrauda técnicamente, la banda sonora es genial, tiene un control preciso y ajustado y una dificultad muy bien nivelada. Además es largo, te asegura unas 40 horas de juego completártelo. 242 estrellas difíciles pero posibles.
  27. Jul 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is probably one of the best for the Mario series, the characters are really cool, the gameplay is absolutely stunning, and the graphics are out of this world. The game is really long, especially if you try t grab every green star in order to play as luigi. People always compare 3D Mario games to Mario 64, but this is where games are really compared. Expand
  28. Jun 1, 2011
    A wonderful adventure awaits you in this awesome game. Mario still has his tricks on it, and Nintendo did one of the best games on their classic masterpiece. Since Mario 64 , i havent played any other cool game from the franchise ( I never played mario Sunchine) any way , the graphics are bright,colorful,intense, the gameplay is fine. Also , this really makes the true potential as for Mario Galaxy 2 , truly epic. Expand
  29. Apr 27, 2011
    Great game! It hjas some average and easy levels. Fun for kids of all ages. I do wish it would get harder towards later in the game. Like ones that make me stumped.
  30. Jan 20, 2013
    All I can say is this is a great game ...despite it's childish approach. "SUPER MARIO GALAAAAAXY" in an annoying pitchy voice at the startup screen just burns me with annoyance. However, the gameplay is great great great.

It's rare to play through a perfect game or one that nears perfection, but Galaxy definitely fits that mold.
  2. Nintendo has crafted a platform game that, while not as technologically pioneering as its grandfather, is, level for level, more fun to play than "Mario 64." [Dec 2007, p.128]
    Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.